Are the Komodo Dragons the silliest things in the Craig era so far?

191011121315»

Comments

Shardlake wrote: »
    With the exception of the PTS of SPECTRE nothing even comes to the parkour sequence in CR, still for me the outright best action sequence of Craig's era and up there near the top with the rest of the series.

I would agree with this.
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    With the exception of the PTS of SPECTRE nothing even comes to the parkour sequence in CR, still for me the outright best action sequence of Craig's era and up there near the top with the rest of the series.

I would agree with this.

I would agree too. The whole sequence is inspired.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    RC7 wrote: »

I would agree with this.

Yes, including the score.

• RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »

I would agree with this.

Yes, including the score.

Definitely!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117

I would agree with this.

I'd agree too except I find the PTS of SF much better than SP action wise.

• RC7RC7

I would agree with this.

To be honest I don't think any come close to Parkour, but I would possibly agree with you. I'd be torn over the SF and SP PTS'.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117

I would agree with this.

To be honest I don't think any come close to Parkour, but I would possibly agree with you. I'd be torn over the SF and SP PTS'.

Am I the only one who thinks the PTS of SP is only average?

There's a lot of waffle about Sam's amazing opening shot but for all the effort and expense is it really any better than the simple shot of Dalton in TLD or the crane shot on the top of the dam in GE?

I also think that due to lots of other problems with the rest of SP the CGI building collapse seems to get a free pass where people have been happy to slam the one in CR which is far less prominent.

The weightlessness in the helicopter is pretty good but the hanging on the side of the chopper is better in FYEO.

Also disappointed they didn't have Bond kick Sciarra out as it barrel rolled so he fell through the rotors. This would have been a classic 'he had lots of guts' moment.

Newman's awful reuse of the SF is score is also jarring and irritating.

Overall I'd give it maybe a 6/10 and have it somewhere in the middle.

I would agree with this.

There's a lot of waffle about Sam's amazing opening shot but for all the effort and expense is it really any better than the simple shot of Dalton in TLD or the crane shot on the top of the dam in GE?

I also think that due to lots of other problems with the rest of SP the CGI building collapse seems to get a free pass where people have been happy to slam the one in CR which is far less prominent.

The weightlessness in the helicopter is pretty good but the hanging on the side of the chopper is better in FYEO.

Also disappointed they didn't have Bond kick Sciarra out as it barrel rolled so he fell through the rotors. This would have been a classic 'he had lots of guts' moment.

I thought it was one of the best of the series. I do agree about the music though. I spent a good deal of it in the cinema thinking, isn't that from Skyfall? I also think, I've seem Spectre once so this is how I remember it, that there were large parts of the helicopter stuff unscored that I would have rather had scored.
  • RC7RC7

I would agree with this.

I don't like the building collapse. Didn't like it in the trailers and don't care for it in the film. I love when Bond walks out onto the rooftops and the score. I enjoy the general chase and I think the genuine stunt work is great (the bluescreen shots are jarring, much like the facial replacement in SF). Are either of them top tier? I'm not sure. On the subject, I wouldn't mind seeing a slimmed down PTS in the future, in the vein of GF or OHMSS, both of which I love.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883

I would agree with this.

I really enjoyed the SP pretitles in the theatre the first time, but on repeated watch, the novelty wore off.

I think the opening tracking shot is one for the ages. However, as you noted, the action is on the dull side, and there wasn't really any stand out creative moment in the chopper itself. Nothing really smart or interesting happened. So they fought, and one fella was kicked out (like we didn't know that was going to happen) but no real impressive memorable action moment.

I think the SF one is probably better overall. It's very tense, all the way up to when Bond falls and the camera focuses on Dench's face, as she realizes what she's done.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I would agree with this.

I don't like the building collapse. Didn't like it in the trailers and don't care for it in the film. I love when Bond walks out onto the rooftops and the score. I enjoy the general chase and I think the genuine stunt work is great (the bluescreen shots are jarring, much like the facial replacement in SF). Are either of them top tier? I'm not sure. On the subject, I wouldn't mind seeing a slimmed down PTS in the future, in the vein of GF or OHMSS, both of which I love.

I liked it. But again, as with many of the Bond films, it lacked sense.

Two buildings have just collapsed (or partially collapsed) and yet...

the Dia de los Muertes festival goes on without a hitch (with police lining the streets for security, unconcerned and somehow unaware) just a block or so away?

But what the hell. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TripAces, much like the usage of CG animals, Mendes also seems to have a hard-on for events such as the one you described that don't make sense: why does the festival continue after such a large explosion? Why does the train run along without an issue after Bond and Hinx are done wrecking it to hell? Why does the train run along without an issue after Bond is done ripping off the roof of a carriage in SF?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The helicopter pilot probably landed on the same sofa as Bond. Shame we didn t see it.
  • I thought wearing the tux on the train in SP was pretty silly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I thought wearing the tux on the train in SP was pretty silly.

Hmmm, now that you mention it...

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, he should have worn Madeline's dress. :D
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @TripAces, much like the usage of CG animals, Mendes also seems to have a hard-on for events such as the one you described that don't make sense: why does the festival continue after such a large explosion? Why does the train run along without an issue after Bond and Hinx are done wrecking it to hell? Why does the train run along without an issue after Bond is done ripping off the roof of a carriage in SF?
    Who was driving the train, as apparently the three of them were the only ones on it as we saw in the fight.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it was one of those "homing" trains. ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Is this an artists impersonal of Fleming's Blofeld?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »

I would agree with this.

I really enjoyed the SP pretitles in the theatre the first time, but on repeated watch, the novelty wore off.

I think the opening tracking shot is one for the ages. However, as you noted, the action is on the dull side, and there wasn't really any stand out creative moment in the chopper itself. Nothing really smart or interesting happened. So they fought, and one fella was kicked out (like we didn't know that was going to happen) but no real impressive memorable action moment.

I think the SF one is probably better overall. It's very tense, all the way up to when Bond falls and the camera focuses on Dench's face, as she realizes what she's done.

Whereas I agree for the most part Bond and the baddies battling centrifugal force translated pretty well on screen. SF yes for me too had a bigger impact.
    I think Bond surviving the PTS of SF is much more silly than the Komodo dragons ( He gets shot TWICE, falls off a speeding train from a great height and sinks to the bottom of a river yet no explanation is given how he survives that ).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I would say that the "Airbag" is now by far the silliest thing in a DC Bond film.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I think Bond surviving the PTS of SF is much more silly than the Komodo dragons ( He gets shot TWICE, falls off a speeding train from a great height and sinks to the bottom of a river yet no explanation is given how he survives that ).

Yeah, I don't like that moment at all. One of many reasons why I rank SF so low on my list.