Are the Komodo Dragons the silliest things in the Craig era so far?

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AceHole wrote: »
    LOL. SF has far bigger problems than the Komodo dragons /:)

After four viewings of SP, I am more impressed with SF than ever. The film was a masterpiece.

TripAces wrote: »

After four viewings of SP, I am more impressed with SF than ever. The film was a masterpiece.

In comparison I agree, but a masterpiece generally heck no. The series has far better masterpieces. And compared to quite a few movies outside of the franchise it compares not at all.
    SaintMark wrote: »

In comparison I agree, but a masterpiece generally heck no. The series has far better masterpieces. And compared to quite a few movies outside of the franchise it compares not at all.

To each their own. But I think I'm speaking more within the genre or the series. SF doesn't crack my top 10 all-time; or even top 20. But as a spy/action/Bond film: a triumph.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    "You know, we haven't been formally introduced"

Yes, would you really not know the name of an agent you were out in the field with.

What makes you think he didn't know? I know the name of plenty of people at work and we haven't been introduced formally. We don't know how quickly they've met before the PTS of Skyfall.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t know the last name of all my colleagues. And the Secret Service is probably secretive of first names, too. A security precaution.

That said, it could have been written better, but good enough for me.
  • RC7RC7

Masterpiece, like legendary, is an overly used phrase. GF is the only genuine masterpiece in the series IMO. It's a transcendent piece of cinema.
    I have to agree.

To each their own. But I think I'm speaking more within the genre or the series. SF doesn't crack my top 10 all-time; or even top 20. But as a spy/action/Bond film: a triumph.

SF had too many weaknesses to be a masterpiece in the spy/action movie genre, while visually sometimes beautiful it lacked coherence and its villain went from strong to ridiculous. Too many of the 007 movies from the franchise are better put together. Which is a shame since ever since CR DC got less to work with. Perhaps he should do one more 007 movie in which he is the actor and he leaves the direction and story to a director who wants to make a 007 spy/actioner instead of a personal movie.
    I liked the scene with the Komodo dragons, particularly the bit where Bond tries to point out a Komodo to the henchman he is tackling at the time.
    The Komodo dragon scene I found actually allright when compared with the Apocalypse Now arrival of the chopper at the Bond Mansion in one of the best defend pieces of airspace in England. That was poor and melodramatic worthy of a Austin Powers movie.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I liked the scene with the Komodo dragons, particularly the bit where Bond tries to point out a Komodo to the henchman he is tackling at the time.

It reminded me of Indiana Jones pointing towards the water flood in Temple of Doom.
    The Komodo dragon scene I found actually allright when compared with the Apocalypse Now arrival of the chopper at the Bond Mansion in one of the best defend pieces of airspace in England. That was poor and melodramatic worthy of a Austin Powers movie.

We don't know where the choppers come from and since Silva can manipulate a lot with a computer he could easily pass these choppers as legit.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote: »

We don't know where the choppers come from and since Silva can manipulate a lot with a computer he could easily pass these choppers as legit.

At least it's a real chopper not like the earlier CGI embarrassment with their laughable union jacks on the side.

And why would the middle of the Scottish Highlands be one the 'best defend pieces of airspace in England'(sic)?

I would think London and the airspace around airports and nuclear reactors would be the best defended. And given there has been a terrorist attack on London a day or so earlier most resources would likely be rather too busy to be patrolling a random stretch of heather and gorse bushes miles from any centre of population.
    I should have picked up on that. Scotland not being part of England (and vice versa). And before I create another controversy, I simply mean that there is a distinction between Britain and its parts.

And helicopters as well as other engines have always been used liberally by villains in Bond movies, going around without any trouble.
    patb wrote: »
    "You know, we haven't been formally introduced"

That line pretty much makes me cringe. Such a clunky set up.

I'd have preferred if he just uttered something like "thank you...Miss Moneypenny" before going to see M. So the reveal is to US and not Bond.

That's far worse than the derided Blofeld reveal in SP which worked fine in the context of the scene I thought, even if irksome as a concept for fans to deal with for years to come!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What sort of cufflinks need adjusting all the time? It is a sign of obsessive behaviour.

But did he actually readjust his cufflink though? Seems to me he was just readjusting the cuff of his shirt sleave. However, with all the knocking about he did it's very possible the lock end of the cufflink straightened out, which unlocks and loosens tge cuff of the shirt sleave.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 7,653

At least it's a real chopper not like the earlier CGI embarrassment with their laughable union jacks on the side.

And why would the middle of the Scottish Highlands be one the 'best defend pieces of airspace in England'(sic)?

I would think London and the airspace around airports and nuclear reactors would be the best defended. And given there has been a terrorist attack on London a day or so earlier most resources would likely be rather too busy to be patrolling a random stretch of heather and gorse bushes miles from any centre of population.

It is actually one of the best monitored piece of airspace in the UK with maritime and nuclear interests, so yep it is total bollocks.
    The chopper would have been noticed and taken down within in the first miles of liftoff. It is like the train wrecking another implausible choice made by a director that goes for effect instead of storytelling.
    Yes but it's a commonplace in Bond movies and heck many other action movies to have various vehicles used by villains unhindered and undetected.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117

It is actually one of the best monitored piece of airspace in the UK with maritime and nuclear interests, so yep it is total bollocks.
    The chopper would have been noticed and taken down within in the first miles of liftoff. It is like the train wrecking another implausible choice made by a director that goes for effect instead of storytelling.

What the whole of Scotland? Given we are never told where exactly Skyfall is I find it a rather presumptuous conclusion to leap to. We can assume Glencoe from the literary Bond which is miles from the sea and any nuclear and maritime assets.

In any event I think you overestimate our response. This is the UK not China. The government is not just going to shoot down a helicopter that is flying over some desolate countryside after 2 minutes.

We don't even know where the chopper has come from. Yes it could have been circling Faslane for hours in which case you might have a point but equally (and rather more probable) Silva might have hired a farmhouse a few miles away and kept it in a barn.

If you find the use of a helicopter in the middle of the countryside at night without it being taken out by a squadron of fighters implausible I wish you the very best of British when it comes to watching MR or YOLT!

In any event your theory is blown out of the water because we now know of the existence of C at MI5 who could quite easily have made a phone call to the RAF saying 'You know those hundreds of fighters you have ready to scramble at a minutes notice that are capable of taking down an unidentified helicopter over any part of Scotland within a few miles of it taking off despite all of George Osborne's cuts to the military? Well just tell them to ignore this particular helicopter would you. Cheers.'
    I'm baffled more by a giant squid than these Komodo Dragons going after people. But there have been reports of giant squids attacking people. It's just suspension of disbelief.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,554

SF had too many weaknesses to be a masterpiece in the spy/action movie genre, while visually sometimes beautiful it lacked coherence and its villain went from strong to ridiculous. Too many of the 007 movies from the franchise are better put together. Which is a shame since ever since CR DC got less to work with. Perhaps he should do one more 007 movie in which he is the actor and he leaves the direction and story to a director who wants to make a 007 spy/actioner instead of a personal movie.

I disagree. Silva was so good he had everyone scared and paranoid--even Q thought Silva had everything planned out. He didn't. He merely convinced everyone he was all-knowing. When it came down to it: he was just a man.

Remember what Silva said about getting everyone off the island: mere suggestion. Remember what Bond says to Q: "It's what he's planning next that has me worried." Yep.

The fact that Silva died by the simplest and most ancient of weapons is beyond ironic.

Technology is the new H-Bomb. He who has it can freak everyone out. Welcome to the "brave new world."

The film was remarkably layered.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This is Bond, not STAR WARS, with a history of real stuntmen and actual animals performing dangerous stunts.

Don't forget - the greatest animal moment in the series, the double take pigeon itself, could only be achieved using camera trickery!!!
  • RC7RC7
    I think that the issue that most of us have with the Komodo Dragons is more with execution than concept. The strange aspects that stretch reality of Fleming novels, as well as in many of the films, is something that appeals to me. I would have loved it if they had used real Komodo Dragons, as it was an homage to a classic stunt using real alligators. CGI removes all awe and tension from the scene.

Precisely. It's conceptually fine, but then so was the idea of an invisible car. Its two-fold when you consider it's aping a classic scene that was done for real the first time. It calls to mind the sky dive scenes in MR and QoS respectively. One is still awe inspiring, the other is simply dreadful.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My only real problems with SKYFALL take place in the last third. This is where the descent into Bond's past history begins. I found it unwanted and poorly executed. This is also where we also are subjected to the requisite explosions and machine gunfire (never a big fan of all of that, some exceptions being the epic battles at the climax's of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER). The whole importance of the hard-drive seems to be dropped, and we get a final confrontation in the church that is drawn out dull and devoid of tension. I thoroughly enjoy the first two thirds and I enjoy Bardem as Silva.
    Gettler wrote: »
    I'm baffled more by a giant squid than these Komodo Dragons going after people. But there have been reports of giant squids attacking people. It's just suspension of disbelief.

I think that the issue that most of us have with the Komodo Dragons is more with execution than concept. The strange aspects that stretch reality of Fleming novels, as well as in many of the films, is something that appeals to me. I would have loved it if they had used real Komodo Dragons, as it was an homage to a classic stunt using real alligators. CGI removes all awe and tension from the scene. This is Bond, not STAR WARS, with a history of real stuntmen and actual animals performing dangerous stunts. If that wasn't practical I would just assume that they cut the bit.
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/would-just-as-soon-or-assume/
    :D
    Good luck finding real Komodo dragons and using them in a movie. For health and safety reasons I don't think it's possible. Beside do we have any of them in captivity to begin with?
  • RC7RC7
    Good luck finding real Komodo dragons and using them in a movie. For health and safety reasons I don't think it's possible. Beside do we have any of them in captivity to begin with?

I think the point is more, if you can't do it for real, don't do it. That's the problem with the prevalence of CGI. Directors can theoretically do anything, but because they can, they don't always stop to ask if they should. Tamahori's wave tsunami is a case in point. You can get away with a lot in fantasy such as LOTR or SW, but with Bond it's a whole different ball game.
    Oh I agree. One of the reasons why I don't think we should see Bond fighting a squid. But the Komodo dragons scene in SF did not bother me. It was fairly short and they were used sparingly.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea I agree SF the scene is fine. The dragons look fine.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I love the dragons; they harken back to Bond's pulp origins. For me the last second parachute opening in Quantum was more silly.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    talos7 wrote: »
    I love the dragons; they harken back to Bond's pulp origins. For me the last second parachute opening in Quantum was more silly.

Eh I liked that too. Better than the visible chute and Jaws in MR. Now that's silly.