Are the Komodo Dragons the silliest things in the Craig era so far?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    talos7 wrote: »
    I love the dragons; they harken back to Bond's pulp origins. For me the last second parachute opening in Quantum was more silly.

I totally agree with you on the pulp aspect. It's a great idea. I just wish they'd executed it better.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I love the dragons; they harken back to Bond's pulp origins. For me the last second parachute opening in Quantum was more silly.

Eh I liked that too. Better than the visible chute and Jaws in MR. Now that's silly.

You've got to be kidding?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »

I totally agree with you on the pulp aspect. It's a great idea. I just wish they'd executed it better.

Eh I liked that too. Better than the visible chute and Jaws in MR. Now that's silly.

Nope
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

No I'm not kidding in the least.

• RC7RC7

Nope

Just to clarify, you think the QoS sky dive sequence is superior to the MR PTS?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah, that QoS parachute drop was utterly ridiculous. The questionable CGI effects don't even bother me but it was the chute opening only metres from Bond smashing himself into the ground.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116

Nope

No apologies but yes I do. MR PTS way too cartoonist. I like both but the QoS freefall has a far harder edge.

By the way the QoS was originally an unused sequence in GE.

I guess if it had been in GE you wouldn't be lambasting me lol.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That is correct and if I had thought a bit more I would have realized so. Very embarrassing.
    Not a bit of it. What IS embarrassing is the crappy FX in the GE PTS with Superman Bond. The dragons I can live with.
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    That is correct and if I had thought a bit more I would have realized so. Very embarrassing.
    Not a bit of it. What IS embarrassing is the crappy FX in the GE PTS with Superman Bond. The dragons I can live with.

But the rest of that GOLDENEYE PTS is so good that I forgive the ending.

Yes I like the GE PTS ..Very enjoyable.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yeah, that QoS parachute drop was utterly ridiculous. The questionable CGI effects don't even bother me but it was the chute opening only metres from Bond smashing himself into the ground.

I'm the opposite. Can live with the late opening (although perhaps not that late. I want the chute fully inflated and about 3 or 4 seconds of deceleration time) but the CGI that makes me vomit.

In its own way this is actually more objectionable than the tsunami in DAD.
    Having supposedly realised DAD and it's CGI was bullshit and having moved on to a more realistic gritty style after just one film we abandon this and make the same mistake.

The truly disgraceful thing about this though was the fact that there is absolutely zero reason why this couldn't have been done for real given 30 years earlier they filmed pretty much an identical sequence. The freefall could have even continued into the sinkhole and would've looked awesome:

What happened to being able to know the names of stuntmen who delivered epic stunts like Rick Sylvester, Remy Julienne, BJ Worth and Wayne Michaels? The reason we don't have household names like that anymore is not, I believe, because there aren't guys like that out there but because recent Bond films simply don't deliver on the action front.

For me the last top notch stunt was the crane to crane jump in CR which is nearly 10 years ago. Bond used to lead not just films but the world in innovative stunts but these days you can find far better action filmed by amateurs on YouTube. Seems like in the past EON use to discover these guys (the TMWTGG car jump and Rick Sylvester good examples) and sign them up but this just doesn't happen any more.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,691
    the rest of that GOLDENEYE PTS is so good that I forgive the ending.
    I look away & reach for popcorn and imagine it with a real stunt guy. It's only really the two shots.
    chrisisall wrote: »

But the rest of that GOLDENEYE PTS is so good that I forgive the ending.

In hindsight this improbable ending to the GE PTS could have been shot a bit differently and been just as, if not more exciting. I would have had Bond, on the motorcycle, catching up with the plane. Just as he gets one hand on the door, in a shot from above, looking straight down on the action, the plane goes over the cliff. Bond maintains his grip as his ride fall away and is able to climb into the plane.

• RC7RC7

Nope

No apologies but yes I do. MR PTS way too cartoonist. I like both but the QoS freefall has a far harder edge.

I can't even be arsed to respond to you in an appropriate manner. Your taste is fucking awful.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,989
    I've been going on about that for awhile. The crane was probably the last great stunt, but the fall at the end of the SKYFALL PTS is pretty impressive (now if you tell me that was CGI I'll get very depressed).

Ahh, well....

From an effects breakdown of Skyfall: For the shot of Bond hitting the water, the special effects department rigged an 80 kilogram buck known as a piston head to replicate the splash. Explains Whitehurst: "We got cables stretched across a piece of river elsewhere in Turkey - we had a couple of JCBs dig out the bottom of the river to make it as deep as we could to do the splash. We had a bomb release trigger on the cable going across the river with the buck on it, so we could trigger it and the buck would go into the river and we could shoot it. Pretty much all the water is live action in the splash impact - we enhanced it a little bit, but the main bulk of the shot is a digi-double Bond and a CG bridge."

Nope

I can't even be arsed to respond to you in an appropriate manner. Your taste is fucking awful.

=))

Brilliant.

Nope

You just did.. at least we share the same opinion of each other's taste.

I did say I liked the MR PTS.

Oh and @wizard where's the brilliance in that response?? All he did was call me an ass and attempted to be as rude as possible. Sorry apparently we don't share the same opinion of brilliance either.

You two epitomize what's wrong with the mentality of this forum.

It's a discussion forum with varying opinions ..but responses like embarrass the fandom and present the absolute worse of your character.

Nope

Oh and @wizard where's the brilliance in that response?? All he did was call me an ass and attempted to be as rude as possible. Sorry apparently we don't share the same opinion of brilliance either.

We certainly don't. The QOS freefall sequence is an abomination.

I think he was quite restrained in his criticism. Everyone entitled to their opinion and yours is laughable.

Nope

I think he was quite restrained in his criticism. Everyone entitled to their opinion and yours is laughable.

Really? I'm sorry I didn't realize circus music and a flying man made for such a better sequence. You must be right oh thank you for correcting me.

Why is everyone so voliatle of late? I'm seeing far too much of these threads turning mean and personal.
    I concur. Sadly.
    Yes ..there is no reason to attack only because of varying opinion.

I admit I have said things on here I regret but I have had the decency to realize I'm wrong and apologize.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Why is everyone so voliatle of late? I'm seeing far too much of these threads turning mean and personal.

It happens from time to time. I remember it happening after Skyfall came out. I have no idea why it gets so toxic around here sometimes. It's pretty sad. But I stay positive and try to inject humor into everything to lighten the mood around here.

Murdock wrote: »

It happens from time to time. I remember it happening after Skyfall came out. I have no idea why it gets so toxic around here sometimes. It's pretty sad. But I stay positive and try to inject humor into everything to lighten the mood around here.

Oh shut up! (Just kidding.)

....and we thank you for it

:D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ludovico wrote: »

Oh shut up! (Just kidding.)
    giphy.gif

Nope

Really? I'm sorry I didn't realize circus music and a flying man made for such a better sequence. You must be right oh thank you for correcting me.

I'm happy to take a staggering stunt sequence done for real that is marred by 10 seconds of misjudged 'comedy' over a sequence that is awful from the moment they leave the plane to the moment they hit the ground. But feel free to enjoy your dismal CGI fest that pisses all over the reputation built up over 46 years by guys like Bob Simmons, Martin Grace, Dickie Graydon, Rick Sylvester, BJ Worth, Jake Lombard and many others risking their lives for real rather just standing in front of a green screen.
    10 seconds of comedy can be very distracting. Just sayin'.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Yes ..there is no reason to attack only because of varying opinion.

I admit I have said things on here I regret but I have had the decency to realize I'm wrong and apologize.

We are all Bond fans. Nobody should have to rigorously defend a preference for anything in the series. It should all be fun and spirited debate.
    I like a spirited debate as much as any girl... b-(

Nope

I'm happy to take a staggering stunt sequence done for real that is marred by 10 seconds of misjudged 'comedy' over a sequence that is awful from the moment they leave the plane to the moment they hit the ground. But feel free to enjoy your dismal CGI fest that pisses all over the reputation built up over 46 years by guys like Bob Simmons, Martin Grace, Dickie Graydon, Rick Sylvester, BJ Worth, Jake Lombard and many others risking their lives for real rather just standing in front of a green screen.

Yes their work is very impressive. I'm sorry you may missed that I said I liked the MR sequence.

• RC7RC7

Nope

Yes their work is very impressive. I'm sorry you may missed that I said I liked the MR sequence.

But you prefer the QoS one, which means you should be burnt alive as a purveyor of horrendous opinion.

Nope

But you prefer the QoS one, which means you should be burnt alive as a purveyor of horrendous opinion.

Bring the matches :P

What I like about the QoS one is that the entire sequence is played with an edge. The framing of the plane crashing in the background ...

I think they also used then state-of-art cameras to actually shoot that scene.

I really do greatly appreciate and acknowledge the actual stuntwork in MR and yes despite the circus element I really do like and enjoy that sequence.

I simply prefer the serious take and photography of the QoS one. But NOT by much. The original is to be greatly respected.

You know when all is said and done maybe the freefall from that Dark Horse Comic Bond story is the best. Bond actually gouged out the eye of the bad guy and no one making it risked their life. :D