No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Barbara had always intended for the organisation behind CR to be Spectre, the prolonged rights issue is the reason for the appearance of Quantum. It's a shame really.
    Just like I expected.
    All they had to do then was not mention the organization by name in the last scene with Greene. A little forethought would have been nice. A pity they did.
    Agreed. It would have been nice to give a little background or some overview of Quantum, whatever was that. That's why it just falls flat in every imaginable sense. Or they could have just left it ambiguous and set up a "true first encounter between Bond and Spectre" without having to name it until they got the rights.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hadn t thought of that.
    I don't know if anybody has seen or remembers this, but I got to track down the text, yet the link itself is abolished.
    By 21st Century Artists Film Corporation and B. A. Wise Consulting Services, 10-20-2008

TOM O'CASEY WILL PRODUCE 'BLOFELD' IN 2010. JAMES BOND PRODUCERS FACE A SECOND CHALLENGE BASED UPON McCLORY’S SCRIPTS.

Tom O’Casey, the ever elusive 'high fashion accessories designer and manufacturer,' says he will produce “BLOFELD," based upon the screenplay and screen treatments created by the late Irish producer, 'Kevin McClory' sometime next year for a 2010 release by one of Hollywood’s oldest and greatest studios. It is rumored that both 'Paramount' and 'Universal' may be involved, but no word out, just yet, from O’Casey, who first saw the original treatments by 'Kevin McClory, British screen writer, 'Jack Whittingham' and James Bond 007 creator, Ian Fleming, early last year, while visiting Amsterdam.

These same treatments became the basis for the James Bond 007 films, “Thunderball” and “Never Say Never Again," both of which starred Sean Connery in the signature role he made famous.

In 1998, Kevin McClory, in association with 'Sony Pictures,' attempted a second series of James Bond films outside of the 'Official' series produced by 'Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer' and Danjaq, LLC, a company owned by the family of the late 'Albert R. “Cubby” Broccoli. Broccoli’s daughter, Barbara and stepson, Michael Wilson are the producers of the forthcoming 007 film, “Quantum of Solace," which will star Daniel Craig in his second outing as the secret agent with the license to kill. That film is being released through 'Sony Pictures,' in association with MGM.

Tom O’Casey plans to 'pick-up' where Kevin McClory left off. In 1999, a Court Ruling in Los Angeles prevented producer 'McClory' from making any more James Bond films.
    It was widely believed McClory had lost all rights to use the characters 'James Bond 007, Moneypenny, Felix Leiter, M, etc.,' but according to the confident O’Casey, “These rights are still available to me and they will be enforced in the United States and the rest of the world. I am not afraid of the legal consequences that might be incurred from the Broccoli family and Sony Pictures."

O’Casey states, “Kevin McClory never signed off on James Bond and his rights to any court. Even the producers of the official Bond series stated in 2004 that McClory 'might have the right to produce a James Bond film in Australia ,' with their belief it could not be released in the United States market."

Tom O’Casey says he is looking at the resumes of more than 100 actors, who might become his James Bond 007. “I would be delighted to use 'Colin Farrel as 007,' but would prefer a total unknown, just as 'Harry Saltzman and Cubby Broccoli' did with Connery back in 1962. I want a rugged Bond — a harking back to when Connery bent a poker around his assailant’s neck in 'Thunderball.' That was great. Sean Connery will always be Bond to me."/ The O’Casey agenda includes 'a four picture deal,' which still remains to be signed, though; at least two major studios say they are ready to commit $250,000,000 to O’Casey films. O’Casey plans to film, 'BLOFELD,' (2.) 'WARHEAD,' (3.) 'SPECTRE' (4.) 'JAMES BOND OF THE SECRET SERVICE,' back to back in such diverse locations as the ' Bahamas , Bermuda , Jamaica , Hawaii and Japan .'

“I wasn’t crazy about 'Never Say Never Again,'" O’Casey said Tuesday. “It suffered from a terrible jazz score by Michel LeGrand and the direction was abysmal. BLOFELD will be a rich blend of Technicolor imagination, a wonderful relationship between Bond and Moneypenny — -a harking back to the early days of Sean Connery and Lois Maxwell in 'Dr. No' and 'From Russia, with Love.' "

The dead link: http://vine.rottentomatoes.com/vine/j/bawiseconsulting/

The text I lifted from: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/32512/

@RC7 do you have any knowledge on this little project?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Barbara had always intended for the organisation behind CR to be Spectre, the prolonged rights issue is the reason for the appearance of Quantum. It's a shame really.
    Just like I expected.
    All they had to do then was not mention the organization by name in the last scene with Greene. A little forethought would have been nice. A pity they did.
    Agreed. It would have been nice to give a little background or some overview of Quantum, whatever was that. That's why it just falls flat in every imaginable sense. Or they could have just left it ambiguous and set up a "true first encounter between Bond and Spectre" without having to name it until they got the rights.

I genuinely thought that's what they were doing with White's mysterious organisation in CR, setting up a SPECTRE return. And I'm sure I remember reading that mentioning Quanum by name in the scene with Green was a last minute addition because of the backlash to the title. But whether using that as the name of the organisation was planned in advance or not it still makes me hate QoS as a title even more. Not only is it pretentious and weird and the opposite of everything a Bond title should be (sexy, cool, evocative) but they couldn't even commit to it. Why write a film that relates to that meaning, with Bond finding his quantum of solace at the end, but then also name the bad guys Quantum? What does that serve? To anyone who didn't get (or lets be honest, couldn't be arsed to look up, nobody knew what it meant when they announced it) the titles original meaning it still doesn't make sense because yeah the villains are Quantum but what's the solace part mean in that context? God I hate that film.
    Just like I expected.

I genuinely thought that's what they were doing with White's mysterious organisation in CR, setting up a SPECTRE return. And I'm sure I remember reading that mentioning Quanum by name in the scene with Green was a last minute addition because of the backlash to the title. But whether using that as the name of the organisation was planned in advance or not it still makes me hate QoS as a title even more. Not only is it pretentious and weird and the opposite of everything a Bond title should be (sexy, cool, evocative) but they couldn't even commit to it. Why write a film that relates to that meaning, with Bond finding his quantum of solace at the end, but then also name the bad guys Quantum? What does that serve? To anyone who didn't get (or lets be honest, couldn't be arsed to look up, nobody knew what it meant when they announced it) the titles original meaning it still doesn't make sense because yeah the villains are Quantum but what's the solace part mean in that context? God I hate that film.
    While I don't hate the film, I actually regard it as a good/serviceable spy thriller (rather than a James Bond film), I relate to everything else you said. Well put.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Do we think we will get the press conference before or after Christmas?

Well dont forget, it will be like november/ december 2018
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Isn't something expected next month? I recall reading that somewhere.
    Maybe a November 2018 release date? ;)
    I wonder. If so, then why announce 2019 though?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

The question I keep asking. Craig knew he was returning way before they announced the 2019 date, too.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The question I keep asking. Craig knew he was returning way before they announced the 2019 date, too.
    Yes indeed. Something doesn't add up and one has to look to Craig for the clue. He was acting strange to me in that interview. Giddy. Colbert didn't press him either. The deception in his morning vs. evening remarks has been forgotten by nearly everyone, but as I said before it's not something he needed to do. He could have just avoided the morning shows entirely.

There's more to this than meets the eye imho.
    I was wrong about this year being deserted of news, though. We got three important milestone development news in the Bond 25 Production points.

-Purvis & Wade writing the screenplay
    -A November 2019 release date
    -Daniel Craig reprising his role as Bond for a fifth film

All we need now is the news on the distributors and the director. The rest will come falling like dominoes.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I was wrong about this year being deserted of news, though. We got three important milestone development news in the Bond 25 Production points.

All we need now is the news on the distributors and the director. The rest will come falling like dominoes.

As Greene would say. ;)

As Greene would say. ;)
    Exactly. I was going to address that in my comment, but opted not to for some reason. ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I suppose I'm in the minority in that I really enjoyed the Quantum organization, despite them being a wannabe version of SPECTRE. Not having the rights forced them to be inventive. Look at the difference between the Quantum opera meeting and the Spectre meeting in Rome. I was generally intrigued on who Bond would eventually find at the top of such a consortium, but then they just retconned it all to be Blofled.

Looking back at it now, if they hadn't of secured the rights to SPECTRE we probably wouldn't have gotten a follow up to Quantum as they seemed to want to avoid QoS like the plague. Either that or it would have been a Blofeld clone anyways. Just imagine if they had done something fresh and creative with it though.

Needless to say, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Waltz returning for Bond 25, but I'm not going to whine and pout about it either. I genuinely hope for the best and would love for Craig to go out on the high note he aspires to hit. So I'm resigned to another Waltz appearance, tacky scar and all, and even possibly another showing for Madeleine. Maybe they should hire Tarantino to write Blofeld's dialogue only so that Waltz can say the lines with gusto this time.

I would prefer that B25 ignores as much in SP as humanly possible, much like SF did with QoS. Just give us a new story and don't try to get too cute with the one liners this time around, because Dan is the worst Bond actor ever at delivering them. Which is not a cut at him. That's not his strength and it's not what he signed up for. So let him do what he does best, which sorry to some of you, but that means we will have one more chapter of brooding Bond.

We could get general news, or a director or a distributor, but the cast annoucment and title reveal will be november/ december 2018 if it followes the trend of Skyfall and SPECTRE
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with most of what you wrote there, @pachazo, except the part about Craig delivering the worst one-liners. That honour must go to Dalton. And yes, I'm probably amongst the top 3 Daltonites on this forum. Point is, when Dalton spat out a line, one of the few they gave him, you can tell he really doesn't want to speak the words. "I hope you don't snore, Q." That must have been like having a kidney removed or something for poor Tim. I think Craig gets away with his lines a lot easier than Dalton. I'm glad TLD and LTK aren't replete with funny one-liners and that both films allowed Dalton mostly dialogue that he could handle expertly well.
    Hell, alongside some Bond 25 news, I'm waiting for 4K restoration releases for the Bond films on home video.
    Hell, alongside some Bond 25 news, I'm waiting for 4K restoration releases for the Bond films on home video.

It will be soon, I remember they released the full 50th anniversery set on blu ray right before skyfall. But they had put out some singles on blu rays maybe 2 years before. I still have half of them as singles on blu ray before I got the whole collection.

It will be soon, I remember they released the full 50th anniversery set on blu ray right before skyfall. But they had put out some singles on blu rays maybe 2 years before. I still have half of them as singles on blu ray before I got the whole collection.
    Definitely. I collected some of the singles as well before obtaining the Bond 50 box set later on that coincided with the release of Skyfall. I remember seeing reports also that a couple of years ago the Bond films were available in 4K on Hulu and now are pulled out due to lack distributors/sponsors.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I was nearly in the same boat, only I had collected so many singles that I saw no need to buy the boxset, so I just gathered the rest. Hoping a big 4K boxset is out within the next year or so - at least before B25 is released.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes indeed. Something doesn't add up and one has to look to Craig for the clue. He was acting strange to me in that interview. Giddy. Colbert didn't press him either. The deception in his morning vs. evening remarks has been forgotten by nearly everyone, but as I said before it's not something he needed to do. He could have just avoided the morning shows entirely.

There's more to this than meets the eye imho.

I already can see in the stones flying in my direction, but doesn't make it anyone but me curious why there's not a single journalists reporting that they tried to get in contact with EON to confirm or deny it? One should imagine this to be standard procedure so I absolutely agree with you:there's more than meets the eye....
    ... and somehow I keep coming back to my theory from a few pages ago, that what he said in the talkshow could also be read as an offer from him to EON and when the journalists called them and heard something along the lines of 'we are not ready to confirm this but we would very much wish you not to report it. And if you don't, who knows ,maybe you will get insider information from us once the production is running'.
    They (EON) certainly carry the clout to suppress such reports, at least for a while.
    I know this somehow sounds far-fetched but it would at least tie quite a few of the loose ends of that story.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What exactly are you saying?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What exactly are you saying?

Never mind. Just rubbish.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    You are saying that Daniel Craig offered his services to EON on a live TV chat show ,and they have refused him ?

And EON don't have the power to supress the press at all.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you wrote there, @pachazo, except the part about Craig delivering the worst one-liners. That honour must go to Dalton. And yes, I'm probably amongst the top 3 Daltonites on this forum. Point is, when Dalton spat out a line, one of the few they gave him, you can tell he really doesn't want to speak the words. "I hope you don't snore, Q." That must have been like having a kidney removed or something for poor Tim. I think Craig gets away with his lines a lot easier than Dalton. I'm glad TLD and LTK aren't replete with funny one-liners and that both films allowed Dalton mostly dialogue that he could handle expertly well.

I don't know. While Dalton had the misfortune of getting saddled with some real stinkers, he had a grin and bear it mentality that allowed him to pull it off imho. Craig, on the other hand, looks lost at times when trying to deliver the quips. I can't quite tell what approach he's going for. I'm referring mostly to SF and SP by the way, so perhaps a lot of this is due to Mendes.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Yeah, not like it was officially announced by EON. Christ on a bike.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    You are saying that Daniel Craig offered his services to EON on a live TV chat show ,and they have refused him ?

Don't bother, mate. The plot has been well and truly lost here.
    Why are some of you guys still hoping for a late 2018 release date? The release date is late 2019, folks. Craig has knows for a couple of months that he would be back for one last time, so when EON announced the date, they already knew Bond 25 would star Craig.
    Yeah, not like it was officially announced by EON. Christ on a bike.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Don't bother, mate. The plot has been well and truly lost here.

Yep...that was an ,er,interesting theory.

Why are some of you guys still hoping for a late 2018 release date? The release date is late 2019, folks. Craig has knows for a couple of months that he would be back for one last time, so when EON announced the date, they already knew Bond 25 would star Craig.

Aaah a sane and reasonable comment ,I concur Panchito.
    I never offered this as something else than a far-fetched theory, but still you have to admit there are many pieces not really fitting together.