No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    DUPE
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sure thing. :)
  • Murdock wrote: »
    It's still better than the CR/QOS and SF gunbarrels.

True but there's still a lot wrong with it. I love the design and the music (especially how it builds up over the logos) and Craig actually managed to do a decent pose this time. But for some reason they didn't think to make sure he hid the gun when he walked. And the blood's still too fast. And it didn't do the little shake thing at the end. And the subtitle was stupid.

Still, at least it was back at the start. Baby steps. They've been getting less terrible since QoS so maybe for the next one they'll finally get it right again. Can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since we got a Bond film with a proper, classic gunbarrel at the beginning of the film. Since then there's always been something wrong with it. Some gimmick or a shitty design or its in the wrong place.

I remember reading in the script, and seeing tweets from preview screenings, that originally the GB opened up afterwards in the traditional way, on the eye socket of Bond's skeleton costume. The subtitle was a last minute thing. Maybe Mendes saw how annoyed we were with the SF one and just couldn't resist adding one more thing to messing with us.

Better than QoS and SF but yeah that's not saying much. To be honest I still can't believe what they did with it in SF. The 50th anniversary and it's another piss poor one in the wrong place. They even used Binder's design on all the posters. And again, it was the 50th anniversary. What were they thinking.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Sure thing. :)

Thanks pal,i'm just looking at 2 great versions that would make people sit up ,which is what the gunbarrel is supposed to do (or it used to).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I remember reading in the script, and seeing tweets from preview screenings, that originally the GB opened up afterwards in the traditional way, on the eye socket of Bond's skeleton costume. The subtitle was a last minute thing. Maybe Mendes saw how annoyed we were with the SF one and just couldn't resist adding one more thing to messing with us.
    Does that mean a workprint might exist somewhere with a different gunbarrel?

Better than QoS and SF but yeah that's not saying much. To be honest I still can't believe what they did with it in SF. The 50th anniversary and it's another piss poor one in the wrong place. They even used Binder's design on all the posters. And again, it was the 50th anniversary. What were they thinking.
    And the way Craig is lit is wrong, with half of him in shadow.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Sorry to be a spoiler. But can I also just like the original version from SP?

And I love Craig's pose. Very Connery-esque. It has some suave swagger, it has some 'dance'. Brosnan always looked like a stiff tree in his gunbarrels.

And I love Craig's pose. Very Connery-esque. It has some suave swagger, it has some 'dance'. Brosnan always looked like a stiff tree in his gunbarrels.

Oh I enjoyed it Gustav....it is slightly faster in the music and I personally think one of the best gunbarrels of the series,certainly top 8.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Craig's pose is perfect in SP.
    Here's a rescore of it I did. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Brosnan actually fired the gun like he was aiming at something, though. There was intent and confidence behind the way he moved.

Craig's pose reminds me of a child playing Cowboys and Indians in the park. I love Dan, but his gunbarrels beyond CR (one of the best in the series, very clever) have been consistently poor from design to scoring to pacing to posing.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,331
    As @barryt007 requested, Here's that custom gunbarrel using music from For Your Eyes Only.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Here's a rescore of it I did. :)

It seems too rushed,ala late Moore/Dalton...SP is still better...but BOND 25 needs a really good gunbarrel to stop people eating popcorn and sit up and get involved straight away,which a Daniel Craig Bond film can do if it kicks people up the arse from the very start,which is why the gunbarrel is always so important .

EDIT: and I'm still not convinced that Dan's turn and fire is the same as the sound of the shot, it seems to early......
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    What can I say chaps? When it comes to fucking up the GB Mendes is the Savile to Forster's Fritzl.

Can't believe you got them both in.

Unlike Mendes I don't treat the fans with contempt and give them what they want.
    I'm interested to see if they want to take Bond 25 in an even more traditional direction than SP, or if it will be very different again. Though I'm pleased Craig is returning, the ending of SP definitely has them in a bit of a hole as to making a smooth transition.
    As @barryt007 requested, Here's that custom gunbarrel using music from For Your Eyes Only.

YES!!!! I love it!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Guys, the Spectre gunbarrel is just fine. Its not terrible, its not original, its just okay.
    Guys, the Spectre gunbarrel is just fine. Its not terrible, its not original, its just okay.

Having a little fun is just fine too.

Your versions are vastly superior to what we've gotten so far in the Craig films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

YES!!!! I love it!

Just an idea to grab the audience from the start ..grip them and draw them into Dan's (hopefully not) last film.

Your versions are vastly superior to what we've gotten so far in the Craig films.

Thank you. :)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

...but I made the gunbarrel :(
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,331

@AgentJamesBond007, I gave credit to the original maker in the video description. I had no idea it was you though. So thank you. :)

Sorry! Didn't realize. :( Still excellent job on the GB's.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,630

Appreciate it :) I generally don't post my gunbarrels on here but I originally posted that on the Youtube thread months ago..

Appreciate it :) I generally don't post my gunbarrels on here but I originally posted that on the Youtube thread months ago..

It's a great gunbarrel. The best fanmade Craig gunbarrel ever. Excellent work. Sorry I missed your posting it here. I don't visit the Youtube thread often.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Waltz and Maddy will be back. Mendes I'm not sure about, but if I had to guess I'd say he's done. I don't know whether the rumours about Craig falling out with him are true, but he seems to have nothing left to say with the franchise. That being said I won't put it past them give him a big check to get him back. EON seem unwilling to take any risks at all at the moment.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,630
    It's a great gunbarrel. The best fanmade Craig gunbarrel ever. Excellent work. Sorry I missed your posting it here. I don't visit the Youtube thread often.

When I did post it here like 100 pages back, you did comment..

When I did post it here like 100 pages back, you did comment..

Did I mention I have a terrible memory? =))
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,733

I agree; there is room for improvement, but this gunbarrel is pretty great as it is. Craig's walk, turn and pose is superb, his best one yet. I don't even mind too much his showing the gun before firing it. Also, I very much enjoy the fact the gunbarrel goes dimmer after the shot, to the point that almost all we see of Bond is his silhouette. Without wanting to get too deep, it's as if he becomes a symbol, a stylized representation of himself. An iconographic image.

Hopefully Bond 25's gunbarrel is like this.
    That's great. The rescored versions are too (horns and electric guitar make for a good combination, @Murdock).

We do need more varied arrangements of the music in the future. Will we get something as distinctive as the Moonraker gunbarrel music ever again? Unlikely, but I'll hold out hope.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    mattjoes wrote: »

I agree; there is room for improvement, but this gunbarrel is pretty great as it is. Craig's walk, turn and pose is superb, his best one yet. I don't even mind too much his showing the gun before firing it. Also, I very much enjoy the fact the gunbarrel goes dimmer after the shot, to the point that almost all we see of Bond is his silhouette. Without wanting to get too deep, it's as if he becomes a symbol, a stylized representation of himself. An iconographic image.

Hopefully Bond 25's gunbarrel is like this.
    That's great. The rescored versions are too (horns and electric guitar make for a good combination, @Murdock).

We do need more varied arrangements of the music in the future. Will we get something as distinctive as the Moonraker gunbarrel music ever again? Unlikely, but I'll hold out hope.

The way the gunbarrel opens makes me think, could spectre be cut into like a one hour film and added to the end of skyfall or some sort of thing like that