No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RC7 wrote: »
    What was Skyfall about again?

An ex-agent trying to bring down 'M'.

And Bond failing to stop him. Another wonderful anticlimax brought to us by Mendes.

OHMSS is Ian Fleming's best novel and at the end of it Blofeld escapes and manages to kill Bond's wife.

Because, you know, real life is not a fairy tale and you don't always get your happy ending.

What was your point, exactly?
    Fleming's WWII experience was that a price is paid to fight the bad guys, and that's an important part of Bond's world.

I couldn't have said it better.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,000
    Or the alternative was simply not having M be the subject for the whole thing. The alternative would have been a whole different story. But, there you go. To resonate with the current audience, who seem to love misery and whatnot, Bond in this story was meant to fail right from the start and for the villain to win. And the excuse to that is "Bond is a human. We all fail every now and then". Well, here's the thing. I don't watch a Bond film to see him fail at the end of the whole thing. He may fail at the beginning, in the PTS or something, or perhaps in the first act, then regroup and take down the villain in a victorious manner the way David defeated Goliath. That's what I want to see in a Bond film.
    Missed this as I was typing my response. Very well said. A better more detailed explanation than mine.
    Like I said, @BMW_with_missiles, you've got to be either my estranged twin or my doppleganger. :D

So what you're basically saying is it doesn't chime with what you personally want in a Bond film. That's fine, but it doesn't mean it's bad.

But it also doesn't chime with most of the series before it. It doesn't chime with what cinematic Bond is. That's a recurring problem of the Craig era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can see where those who aren't happy with the recent direction are coming from.

I wish they would have taken a clean break with this four year gap and reset. There will be increased tensions over the next few years as we await the next phase in the Craig Bond saga.
    Walecs wrote: »

And Bond failing to stop him. Another wonderful anticlimax brought to us by Mendes.

OHMSS is Ian Fleming's best novel and at the end of it Blofeld escapes and manages to kill Bond's wife.

Because, you know, real life is not a fairy tale and you don't always get your happy ending.

What was your point, exactly?

OHMSS is good, it's original Fleming. The crap Mendes puts out is not. It was also special because it was a one-off. The entire Craig era has been "this is real life not a fairytale" which is inconsistent with most of cinematic Bond before it, which was escapism.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837

Or a given fact that today's terrorism is very hard to prevent?

Bond is meant to be escapism, not realism.
    Sorry, but to me it's boring if we Always have a Hollywood ending in which person A saves person B, beds person B, and with it saves the planet. I mean, Mendes understood that, in order to give SF a slightly different and more Original feel, you have to reshake certain elements of the franchise.

So again, I completely disagree with those Bond fans who want to have simple endings. For goodness sake, even Ian Fleming didn't do simple endings with his novels.

I don't ask for simple endings, but I do ask for good, climactic, satisfying endings. Mendes didn't deliver that, though I will say that SF's ending is considerably better than SP's.

Not to mention, losing a MI6 NOC list to the hands of a cyber terrorist, etc. All the balderdash to take down M in style (in Silva's accordance). There's a reason for why I went insane in a short period of time when I saw millions praising this film. :))

I just realized something;

In CR, Bond fails to bring in Le Chiffre, fails to protect Vesper, and captures Mr. White only to have him escape in QOS.

In SF, Bond fails to stop Silva from killing M.

In SP, Bond fails, by (poor) choice, to kill Blofeld.

What has Craig Bond actually succeeded in doing in the grand scheme? He killed Green, so the Bolivians can sleep easy knowing their water is safe, and he stopped nine-eyes, but not without the help of the Scooby-gang.

His mission wasn't to bring in Le Chiffre, it was to clean him out. Felix was supposed to bring him in afterwards. Vesper got herself killed by trying to protect her boyfriend, if she'd gone to Bond for help/protection in Venice rather than handing over the money she'd probably still be alive. Besides, Bond failing to protect the girl is nothing new is it. Every Bond has managed that at some point or another, it doesn't make sense to single him out. In SF it's more grey than winning and losing. He failed to stop Silva killing M but he robbed him of seeing his victory. Silva didn't know M had been hit. And with the insane, convoluted lengths he went to to make sure he pulled the trigger and killed M himself, it must have hurt to have died thinking it was all in vein. And Bond did recover the list (as he would have done in Istanbul if it wasn't for Moneypenny shooting him, something he had no way of preparing/accounting for). True Silva let him, but if Bond hadn't tracked him down when he did who knows how many more agents would have died while Silva waited to be captured. Anyway, M died because of her own mistakes, you can't put that on Bond. He didn't fail to kill Blofeld. Blofeld wanted him to kill him ("do it"), to prove he'd gotten to him. Instead Bond walked off and threw his gun away, walking away from killing and going to live a happy life with someone who understands him. Blofeld has to watch him do that then rot in prison. Even if Madeline dies in Bond 25, the end of SP is still a victory for Bond over Blofeld for that reason. It would have really messed him up, and then he was captured. No matter how it plays out in the long run, Bond won at the end of that film.

In the grand scheme of things, Craig's Bond stopped a terrorist attack at a major airport, killed a Ugandan terrorist/war lord and his right hand men, won a poker game that would have led to the capture but instead led to the assassination of a man who'd been orchestrating/financing terrorist attacks and profiting from them (presumably using those profits to fund the secret global crime syndicate he was a member of), took down Quantum and exposed corruption in the CIA and British government's in the process, managed to recover the list of NATO agents before many were killed despite the huge setback of him being shot by a fellow agent and falling off a massive bridge, saved a lot of potential casualities from Silva and his men in the courtroom, stopped a stadium from blowing up in Mexico city, and took down Spectre (who knows what they would have accomplished with Nine Eyes if it weren't for Craig) and managed to consign his arch nemesis to a fate worse than death (at least for now): rotting in prison knowing that despite all the lengths he went to, Bond still won. Not only did he stop and capture him, he also proved him wrong.

He might not have saved the world in the way Roger Moore did but that's because his films are more grounded in reality and more personal/character driven. But Craig's Bond has saved so many lives with the multiple terrorist attacks he stopped alone and has took down some really powerful villains. He's just as good at his job as any other Bond.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    You're right, @bondjames, about the increased tensions. Discussion here gets very specific for what a viewer wants to see next, in part as an antidote to what they didn't like in the last one. If that is not presented, I kind of expect more disappointment.
    So be it. At this point I trust the judgment of the producers and I'm looking forward to the next mission.
  • RC7RC7
    Or the alternative was simply not having M be the subject for the whole thing. The alternative would have been a whole different story. But, there you go. To resonate with the current audience, who seem to love misery and whatnot, Bond in this story was meant to fail right from the start and for the villain to win. And the excuse to that is "Bond is a human. We all fail every now and then". Well, here's the thing. I don't watch a Bond film to see him fail at the end of the whole thing. He may fail at the beginning, in the PTS or something, or perhaps in the first act, then regroup and take down the villain in a victorious manner the way David defeated Goliath. That's what I want to see in a Bond film.
    Missed this as I was typing my response. Very well said. A better more detailed explanation than mine.
    Like I said, @BMW_with_missiles, you've got to be either my estranged twin or my doppleganger. :D

So what you're basically saying is it doesn't chime with what you personally want in a Bond film. That's fine, but it doesn't mean it's bad.

But it also doesn't chime with most of the series before it. It doesn't chime with what cinematic Bond is. That's a recurring problem of the Craig era.

Again that's your issue, not an issue with the film. I find the difference refreshing and dare I say a lot of others did too. It's by no means flawless, but a welcome gear change imo.

Again that's your issue, not an issue with the film. I find the difference refreshing and dare I say a lot of others did too. It's by no means flawless, but a welcome gear change imo.

I just think that the series is losing what made it special. It's losing what makes cinematic Bond, Bond. It's becoming like an entirely different series. It's almost as though EON are ashamed of the series heritage, acting as though the essence of what Bond is, is cringey and outdated. I sometimes wonder how huge fans of the Craig era are fans of the rest of the series, when one seems to be the antithesis of the other.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You're right, @bondjames, about the increased tensions. Discussion here gets very specific for what a viewer wants to see next, in part as an antidote to what they didn't like in the last one. If that is not presented, I kind of expect more disappointment.
    So be it. At this point I trust the judgment of the producers and I'm looking forward to the next mission.
    I have faith that they will at least give us a good script next time, which should address some of the concerns. I sincerely hope that their decision wasn't based on some loyalty or driven by box office considerations however. If so, I believe they've missed a natural opportunity to reignite the series which could have implications down the road.

Not to mention, losing a MI6 NOC list to the hands of a cyber terrorist, etc. All the balderdash to take down M in style (in Silva's accordance). There's a reason for why I went insane in a short period of time when I saw millions praising this film. :))

Yeah, and Bond throwing away his McGuffin, the A.TA.C. in FYEO, is considered professional too eh.
    Considering he was in position to bargain with the enemy when they were going to shoot him on sight, he did what any sane man would've done. "You don't have it, I don't have it." By a wide margin that's not the same thing.

Still, there are other Bond films in which the loss of a McGuffin is the driving force for the rest of the narrative. It....simply happens......loosing a McGuffin. To make that a rime point of criticism for the total failure of SF is simply grotesque.

Point is you can criticize SF's logic and story from the first minute to last and will never be wrong.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

It doesn't mean it's good, either. They took from The Dark Knight as much as they can. I don't like Nolan's way of depicting stories and the morale of his storytelling, but the man orchestrated his story very well in that film, we knew what is what and which is which. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't question its logic very often. Skyfall however has unlimitedly questionable logic from the beginning to the end.

Yeah, and Bond throwing away his McGuffin, the A.TA.C. in FYEO, is considered professional too eh.
    Considering he was in position to bargain with the enemy when they were going to shoot him on sight, he did what any sane man would've done. "You don't have it, I don't have it." By a wide margin that's not the same thing.

Still, there are other Bond films in which the loss of a McGuffin is the driving force for the rest of the narrative. It....simply happens......loosing a McGuffin. To make that a rime point of criticism for the total failure of SF is simply grotesque.
    Except, M is not just a McGuffin and the ATAC didn't fall into the enemy hands who'd end up using it to remotely have the British submarines target their own cities. M here is a prominent player in the British government and part of the leadership. Wasn't Bond's mission to protect her overall? He failed. His primary mission wasn't to kill Silva, no questions asked. He was to eliminate him to neutralize the threat. After M's death, what good did Silva's own death do to anybody? The head of the secret service is taken out. The terrorists have won and successfully attacked Britain, taking one of the pearls off the crown. M is not just a top secret weapon in the hands of a government like ATAC, she also is a political figure. Don't you think her death would've stunned and sparked an outrage within the public? Something that Bond is assigned over the course of the whole series to prevent?

Exactly. Bond succeeded in preventing the enemy from having control of the ATAC; he won. In SF, Bond's mission was to stop Silva from killing M; he failed. Silva killed M. The bad guy succeeded in his goal. SF is the only Bond movie where the villain wins.
    That's why I will never love that movie. Well... one of the reasons, anyway... I haven't mentioned the seemingly-purposeful incompetence every single character portrays in it, yet.

But when Silva dies he has no idea 'M' is about die too - so he doesn't win. There's some nuance to the whole affair - it's never black and white. That's what makes it such a distinctive Bond film. Bond's mission wasn't to save 'M', either, it was to capture/kill Silva. 'M' knew that hence why she agrees to be bait.

The length to which some people go to make SF look less like a story catastrophe is really astonishing. Don't you guys blush when you reasoning along like "he didn't know she died so Bond successfully fulfilled his mission"?
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512

I just think that the series is losing what made it special. It's losing what makes cinematic Bond, Bond. It's becoming like an entirely different series. It's almost as though EON are ashamed of the series heritage, acting as though the essence of what Bond is, is cringey and outdated. I sometimes wonder how huge fans of the Craig era are fans of the rest of the series, when one seems to be the antithesis of the other.

I don't see the dichotomy. They've been making vastly different films since day one. It would perhaps enlighten me a little if you could define the 'essence' of Bond and what EON have done to suggest it's cringey?

Except, M is not just a McGuffin and the ATAC didn't fall into the enemy hands who'd end up using it to remotely have the British submarines target their own cities. M here is a prominent player in the British government and part of the leadership. Wasn't Bond's mission to protect her overall? He failed. His primary mission wasn't to kill Silva, no questions asked. He was to eliminate him to neutralize the threat. After M's death, what good did Silva's own death do to anybody? The head of the secret service is taken out. The terrorists have won and successfully attacked Britain, taking one of the pearls off the crown. M is not just a top secret weapon in the hands of a government like ATAC, she also is a political figure. Don't you think her death would've stunned and sparked an outrage within the public? Something that Bond is assigned over the course of the whole series to prevent?

Exactly. Bond succeeded in preventing the enemy from having control of the ATAC; he won. In SF, Bond's mission was to stop Silva from killing M; he failed. Silva killed M. The bad guy succeeded in his goal. SF is the only Bond movie where the villain wins.
    That's why I will never love that movie. Well... one of the reasons, anyway... I haven't mentioned the seemingly-purposeful incompetence every single character portrays in it, yet.

But when Silva dies he has no idea 'M' is about die too - so he doesn't win. There's some nuance to the whole affair - it's never black and white. That's what makes it such a distinctive Bond film. Bond's mission wasn't to save 'M', either, it was to capture/kill Silva. 'M' knew that hence why she agrees to be bait.

The length to which some people go to make SF look less like a story catastrophe is really astonishing. Don't you guys blush when you reasoning along like "he didn't know she died so Bond successfully fulfilled his mission"?

I didn't say Bond was successful, I said Silva doesn't win. Silva is a one man army essentially. He's not undertaking a mission to score political points on behalf of a unknown state. He's just a lunatic who's doing it to serve his own perverse ends. In essence it's a phyrric victory for Bond. Something unusual for a Bond film. Yeah, there's a lot of logical nonsense along the way, but it's buttressed by some wonderful cinematography and a swagger that's evocative of the 60s films. There's an energy to it that keeps me hooked despite the lapses in logic and there's some genuinely elegant work from Mendes in terms of direction and composition.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Judging by your avatar, there is a lot of blushing going on at your side as well.
    In simpler terms, Silva didn't see M die or execute himself with her as he was inspired to do in his final moments. That was his obsession and it didn't work out for him.
    He clearly died on screen with the knowledge he failed, and Bond won. That's how it was presented.
    Who's in denial here?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I kept but think of the other wasted opportunity with S.P.E.C.T.R.E. They finally get the rights to the bloody thing. They get a solid chance to use Blofeld and what do they do. Create some flimsy personal story and waste a great Bond villain. They tie together all the previous movies in a very hackish way. I would have preferred that Silva wasn't a pawn of Blofeld's but rather his own character with own motivations. Now they are either going to bring back Blofeld for Craig's finale and have this thing wrapped up in 2 pictures. Or they are going to have a stand alone film and not reference S.P.E.C.T.R.E at all. Then we will get a new Bond and if they use S.P.E.C.T.R.E it won't have any connection with the new Bond. Sad that they shot their last bolt!

You mean those producers that have been okaying the most illogical screenplays in the history of the franchise two consecutive times?
    No, that's not what I mean. And I expect you're applying a different standard to the last 4 than 1-20.

Judging by your avatar, there is a lot of blushing going on at your side as well.

As I have plenty of reason to, but certainly not for the things I write on this forum

I don't see the dichotomy. They've been making vastly different films since day one. It would perhaps enlighten me a little if you could define the 'essence' of Bond and what EON have done to suggest it's cringey?

@RC7 Over the top fun, escapism, gadgets, and quips were staples of cinematic Bond. They used to be what the general public would think of when they thought of Bond, and have been either absent, or severely toned down in the Craig era. Even the scores have lost the loud, brassy, big feel that they use to have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going all DCINB here, Craig is an excellent Bond, and many traits of Bond did survive the reboot, but much has been lost.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    In simpler terms, Silva didn't see M die or execute himself with her as he was inspired to do in his final moments. That was his obsession and it didn't work out for him.
    He clearly died on screen with the knowledge he failed, and Bond won. That's how it was presented.
    Who's in denial here?
    You can't possibly see any relevance in that comment, can you? No offense. But... really?

Just because the villain didn't see M die that makes Bond instantly win? If that logic holds water, I ought to play Russian Roulette with myself.
    thedove wrote: »
    I kept but think of the other wasted opportunity with S.P.E.C.T.R.E. They finally get the rights to the bloody thing. They get a solid chance to use Blofeld and what do they do. Create some flimsy personal story and waste a great Bond villain. They tie together all the previous movies in a very hackish way. I would have preferred that Silva wasn't a pawn of Blofeld's but rather his own character with own motivations. Now they are either going to bring back Blofeld for Craig's finale and have this thing wrapped up in 2 pictures. Or they are going to have a stand alone film and not reference S.P.E.C.T.R.E at all. Then we will get a new Bond and if they use S.P.E.C.T.R.E it won't have any connection with the new Bond. Sad that they shot their last bolt!

Agreed. Good post.
    Who's in denial here?
    You can't possibly see any relevance in that comment, can you? No offense. But... really?

Just because the villain didn't see M die that makes Bond instantly win? If that logic holds water, I ought to play Russian Roulette with myself.

"Well, we killed the terrorist before the bomb that he planted in the mall went off. So he didn't get to see his victory. It doesn't matter that 1000 people just died, he didn't get to have the satisfaction of seeing it happen."
    Who's in denial here?

"Well, we killed the terrorist before the bomb that he planted in the mall went off. So he didn't get to see his victory. It doesn't matter that 1000 people just died, he didn't get to have the satisfaction of seeing it happen."
    Exactly. Mind boggled. Mine, that is.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Who's in denial here?

Exactly. Simple to grasp.

@RC7 Over the top fun, escapism, gadgets, and quips were staples of cinematic Bond. They used to be what the general public would think of when they thought of Bond, and have been either absent, or severely toned down in the Craig era. Even the scores have lost the loud, brassy, big feel that they use to have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going all DCINB here, Craig is an excellent Bond, and many traits of Bond did survive the reboot, but much has been lost.

Again I guess it boils down to what you want/expect from Bond. I personally don't want or expect anything, there are things I'd rather they avoid, but in terms of what they deliver I'm happy to see what they can cook up. They don't always get it right, but I don't think they've strayed anywhere near as far as you do.
    Who's in denial here?

I explained above it's a Pyrrhic victory for Bond. But it's not a victory of any sort for Silva as his ultimate end game was the death of 'M' and he was hell bent on that happening in the right circumstances - looking into her eyes.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,032
    So to you Bond was presented as the loser in that scene and Silva was victorious.
    Point taken.
    So to you Bond was presented as the loser in that scene and Silva was victorious.
    Point taken.
    I can't see the other way around, I'm afraid. My perspective lacks in that direction.
    Point taken.

Bond got the satisfaction of stabbing a knife in Silva's back, yes, but Silva won at everything else, including his ultimate goal of killing M. He also got to humiliate MI6 with leaks and attacks, which he did get to see.
    Point taken.

Bond got the satisfaction of stabbing a knife in Silva's back, yes, but Silva won at everything else, including his ultimate goal of killing M. He also got to humiliate MI6 with leaks and attacks, which he did get to see.
    That's what I simply grasp.
    The way I see it, pretty much no one "won" in SF. Which works just fine for me; I think it's a unique climax compared to the usual Bond finale/resolution.