No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    An interesting article on P&W. They make some good points, which we've echoed here.

http://screenrant.com/james-bond-25-writers-purvis-wade/

"Finally, though, things are starting to move on Bond 25. While Craig’s involvement is no further along, the film has just snagged its screenwriters, franchise-familiar pair Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. This on the face of it promises that pre-production will soon be well underway on this landmark installment of the series, but there’s a problem: these are the last people you want working on the next Bond."
    bondjames wrote: »
    An interesting article on P&W. They make some good points, which we've echoed here.

"Finally, though, things are starting to move on Bond 25. While Craig’s involvement is no further along, the film has just snagged its screenwriters, franchise-familiar pair Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. This on the face of it promises that pre-production will soon be well underway on this landmark installment of the series, but there’s a problem: these are the last people you want working on the next Bond."

Totally unfair article.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Anybody watching their OS tv series thing? Any good?
  • Bounine wrote: »
    I miss the times where Bond would sit down to a delicious, gourmet dinner with the villain and receive this fascinating background information from the villain about how he came to be where he is now.

Apparently this is how the original Blofeld reveal scene was supposed to have been in SP, instead of that Colonel Sun rip-off torture scene that didn't make much sense, particularly when Bond recovers miraculously from it 3 seconds later.

Blofeld tells the story of how young Bond beat him in poker. Blofeld had a really good hand but Bond bluffed him.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Anybody watching their OS tv series thing? Any good?

?

I´ve rarely read an article with worse research and logic.

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »

I´ve rarely read an article with worse research and logic.

Indeed. V Poor.
    Bounine wrote: »
    I miss the times where Bond would sit down to a delicious, gourmet dinner with the villain and receive this fascinating background information from the villain about how he came to be where he is now.

Apparently this is how the original Blofeld reveal scene was supposed to have been in SP, instead of that Colonel Sun rip-off torture scene that didn't make much sense, particularly when Bond recovers miraculously from it 3 seconds later.

True, but seeing a bit of Colonel Sun onscreen was one of the few bright spots of SP for me, and transplanting Blofeld's daddy issues into a dinner scene would not have made them any less infuriating.
    I was ok with the torture scene actually too. I had more issues with Bond being right as rain as soon as it was over. This isn't the same realistic world that Craig introduced us all to in his previous 3 outings, where pain subjected to his body has mortal consequences.
    Like when he was poisoned in CR?
    Thats another failing with SP..one of my biggest gripes is that he gets the crap beaten out of him by Hinx and doesnt have a mark on him,and THEN shags Madeleine !!!
    He was a bit of a superman in SP & QoS, but I found in SF & CR there was a bit more reflection and obvious pain.

Moreover, there was a period of convalescing in both these films.
    I feel he was more 'revenge driven ' in QoS...but definately superman in SP for sure.

True, but seeing a bit of Colonel Sun onscreen was one of the few bright spots of SP for me, and transplanting Blofeld's daddy issues into a dinner scene would not have made them any less infuriating.
    I was ok with the torture scene actually too. I had more issues with Bond being right as rain as soon as it was over. This isn't the same realistic world that Craig introduced us all to in his previous 3 outings, where pain subjected to his body has mortal consequences.

Yeah, the way he was able rebound back after his "torture" and basically go into god mode when killing all the bad guys in sight was both disheartening and laughable. Seriously, what were they thinking? Mendes, Craig and EoN are/were supposed to be close collaborators; Craig is even a producer for SP and yet no one though, "hang on a minute, Bond's suffered some trauma here. He cant exactly be operating at super maximum capacity seconds after being tortured. He's not even blinking!"
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    OO7 gets in the zone when there's danger. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's what he does.
    OO7 gets in the zone when there's danger. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's what he does.

It's stupid. He'd just been tortured seconds earlier.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    He's not a real human though , he's supposed to be what we all wish we could be
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As per usual with this thread, this has little or nothing to do with discussing Bond 25.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,181
    [retracted] (will refrain from all comments in the future)

• edited March 2017 Posts: 11,425

I agree, Bond springs up from the head-drilling appearing the most alert and in the best shape he's ever been in, picking off henchpeople with laser-sight accuracy and strolling through open gunfire like he's the Terminator. But to be fair the Craig films have always played fast and loose with what hurts Bond and what doesn't. Falling hundreds of feet from an airplane and smashing into solid rock in QOS leaves Bond with a few scuffs and a dirty shirt. Imagine how boring the PTS of Moonraker would have been if Roger's Bond had been capable of the same. "Oh nevermind, you can have the parachute, I'll just grapple briefly at something on my way down and bounce back up when I meet earth." Then there's the selective shrapnel pain that flares up or vanishes whenever the filmmakers want it to in Skyfall. CR perhaps was the most consistent in showing Bond as a mortal man who received punishment and dealt with actual pain, but beyond that it's a coin toss.

Don't forget getting shot, falling a hundred metres or more from a railway viaduct and then falling unconscious into a fast running river.

Mendes has made a mockery of the idea that Craig's Bond feels real pain or is somehow more human than previous incarnations. He's the most robotic/indestructible of the lot.

Sean, Laz, Rog and Tim all conveyed real vulnerability and that back against the wall nowhere to run fear much better.

For now we have to accept the current dogma that nobody does it better than Dan, but once he's moved on and the dust has settled I think things will be seen very differently.

The torture scene in CR is great, but even there it still feels Dan has the upper hand.
    As only a few seem to be able to follow a simple request this thread has been temporarily locked.
    @jake24 please PM myself or any moderator to get this thread unlocked again.
    Thread re-opened to allow discussion of Bond 25 to continue. This is a James Bond forum after all.
    However, we have asked repeatedly that all non Bond 25 discussion to be discussed in other threads and sadly this falls on deaf ears.
    We ask only that Bond 25 news or discussion be posted in this thread. Any non Bond 25 discussion will be removed.
    Greatly appreciate everyone's understanding in keeping this on topic.
    there is a story developing quietly that Craig and Broccoli were at the Theatre Royal together to watch Barbara’s new production. They were seen my [sic] some eyewitnesses.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Benny wrote: »
    Thread re-opened to allow discussion of Bond 25 to continue. This is a James Bond forum after all.
    However, we have asked repeatedly that all non Bond 25 discussion to be discussed in other threads and sadly this falls on deaf ears.
    We ask only that Bond 25 news or discussion be posted in this thread. Any non Bond 25 discussion will be removed.
    Greatly appreciate everyone's understanding in keeping this on topic.

Understood.
    I'm sure that everyone realizes that there will be more speculation on this thread than news for the time being, given where we're at and how close to the vest EON is currently playing things. Unless folks actually believe that Jack Huston has a shot at being the next Bond.

Therefore, I further hope that we are allowed to speculate freely about B25 on this thread without censure going forward, even if some of the views expressed regarding B25 won't always be Craig, EON or MGM friendly. If not, then I believe it's best that it be closed for the time being.

There is very little real news out there and just a whole lot of unsubstantiated comments by people unassociated with Bond, whether they be Omega CEOs, mayors of small towns, actors who smile knowingly etc.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Indeed @bondjames you can discuss all aspects of the next production freely, as long as it's relevant. A few pages ago everyone was discussing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which was just too far off topic.

If there is no new news to discuss then why would anyone want to come on here to discuss that, when we have a perfectly good Daniel Craig thread to use?
    A fair point @NicNac.

It's just that these conversations inevitably veer towards opinion and conjecture, and then some members tend to get upset and jump on others when it doesn't suit their world view. That's what I find unattractive.

Great. So anything goes as long as we keep it on B25. Thanks for clarifying.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No offense to the mods, but this should've stayed shut. Or it should've stayed locked at the very least for more than a day. Lessons won't be learnt.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The thing is (and here we go off topic ;) ) we can't have a Bond forum with nowhere to talk about Bond25. So we need a thread. It's just we will monitor it more closely.

And that's me finished chatting off topic
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    there is a story developing quietly that Craig and Broccoli were at the Theatre Royal together to watch Barbara’s new production. They were seen my [sic] some eyewitnesses.

Is there a link to this story?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Is there a link to this story?

Yeah I'm curious too :-?