No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    And while your at it I suppose Croatia is for that same war film?

Probably. Let's hope that the news from Baz about B25 being written is true at least.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    ggl007 wrote: »
    MI6 twitter...

9lG7ZoV.jpg

Wow. Just another let down.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Didn't the clown who made the statement claim it was for Bond? Some of us asked the question on here when the announcement was made and I recall someone saying it was confirmed it was for Bond.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I dont believe, the General audience ever read a Fleming book or care about it too much, if they did. Its a sole fanboy thing. As for the films, they should put their focus onto pleasing the general audiences, they bring in the money. Bit certain rules should be applied, like Bond being white. Making him black is not bringing forward diversity. It's only ridiculous. A dead attempt to be oh so modern. There needs to be the girl, the cars, the action and some smirky dialogue. Plus gorgeous locations. IMO that's what everybody expects from Bond - in a certain, very bondish unique way.
    I agree with the rules, but even then when these rules are applied, it doesn't guarantee it will be a decent Bond film (look at the 4 Brosnan movies).

Where I feel the films have been lacking ever since Babs has taken over are weak scripts, muddled storylines and plot holes. I think some of this could be remedied by going back to the Fleming novels, instead of re-imagining Fleming. They are the sole reason why this franchise exists in the first place, and why the films have stood the test of time.

I just saw the making of TLD and Michael Wilson says on camera that they were looking at the possibility of exploring Bond's childhood, but Cubby was dead against the idea and told them to focus more on existing Fleming material instead.

Cubby was 100% right. He probably wouldn't be too happy with what the producers and writers came up with in SF and particularly SP, having Bond and Blofeld being brothers.

Let's talk about making movies for "general" audiences
    They made a film called deadpool, they wernt that many deadpool fans but through marketing and the spread of the good word that film grossed a Shit ton of money, they made it from the source material as opposed to pg13ing it for the general audience and in the process pissing off the fans. That tells us something, the general audience will adapt to what the die hard fans enjoy
    SF pisses over anything that made the film series what it was, and over the two previous films, and it doesn´t bring much Fleming material into it either. If that´s what the die hard fans enjoy, then good night.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Gosh. Adieu!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Didn't the clown who made the statement claim it was for Bond? Some of us asked the question on here when the announcement was made and I recall someone saying it was confirmed it was for Bond.

As far as I heard, the museum director that EON bought the chopper from said he was told it was for Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I dont believe, the General audience ever read a Fleming book or care about it too much, if they did. Its a sole fanboy thing. As for the films, they should put their focus onto pleasing the general audiences, they bring in the money. Bit certain rules should be applied, like Bond being white. Making him black is not bringing forward diversity. It's only ridiculous. A dead attempt to be oh so modern. There needs to be the girl, the cars, the action and some smirky dialogue. Plus gorgeous locations. IMO that's what everybody expects from Bond - in a certain, very bondish unique way.
    I agree with the rules, but even then when these rules are applied, it doesn't guarantee it will be a decent Bond film (look at the 4 Brosnan movies).

Where I feel the films have been lacking ever since Babs has taken over are weak scripts, muddled storylines and plot holes. I think some of this could be remedied by going back to the Fleming novels, instead of re-imagining Fleming. They are the sole reason why this franchise exists in the first place, and why the films have stood the test of time.

I just saw the making of TLD and Michael Wilson says on camera that they were looking at the possibility of exploring Bond's childhood, but Cubby was dead against the idea and told them to focus more on existing Fleming material instead.

Cubby was 100% right. He probably wouldn't be too happy with what the producers and writers came up with in SF and particularly SP, having Bond and Blofeld being brothers.

Let's talk about making movies for "general" audiences
    They made a film called deadpool, they wernt that many deadpool fans but through marketing and the spread of the good word that film grossed a Shit ton of money, they made it from the source material as opposed to pg13ing it for the general audience and in the process pissing off the fans. That tells us something, the general audience will adapt to what the die hard fans enjoy
    SF pisses over anything that made the film series what it was, and over the two previous films, and it doesn´t bring much Fleming material into it either. If that´s what the die hard fans enjoy, then good night.

Look i know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, never the less, if you think that skyfall pisses on the rest of the series, your not a real Fleming bond fan objectively, your more a skyfall fan or Daniel Craig as bond fan maybe
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    With the news that EON are co-producing a historical war film at the end of 2017, it's definitely safe to say that a Nov/Dec. 2017 start date is off the table, which effectively rules out a 2018 release date.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    EON needs to provide some kind of official word soon, especially if they keep taking on other projects. It's just not cool/fair leaving the fans left in the dark about everything involving B25.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    EON don't have to do announce anything. Especially if they haven't got anything to announce.
    They're all just useless and inept
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

That's why I think it's a good idea that they go back to the drawing board and hand Gregg the reins. Then Babs can "pursue other projects" until her hearts content.
    I never realized both of you knew them personally. Are you close?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 2,730
    jake24 wrote: »
    I never realized both of you knew them personally. Are you close?
    We meet on weekends some times

That's why I think it's a good idea that they go back to the drawing board and hand Gregg the reins. Then Babs can "pursue other projects" until her hearts content.

I agree but disagree, what makes Greg Wilson good? Just because he has Wilson in his name? I think they should sell it to a bond fan
    I'll send $450 your way if you can PM me a picture you and Babs.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Does photoshop count?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JamesBondKenya hits nail on head: Greg Wilson..., what makes him the saviour?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,014
    peter wrote: »
    It's a hopeful outlook the family business continues. The Bond franchise is unprecedented for its success and longevity.

He's already engaged, let's see what he can do as Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson eventually exit. And Ms. Broccoli no time soon.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's a hopeful outlook the family business continues. The Bond franchise is unprecedented for its success and longevity.

He's already engaged, let's see what he can do as Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson eventually exit. And Ms. Broccoli no time soon.
    Yes, he's already involved from what we can see. I look forward to a new perspective and influence. There's nothing wrong with that, and hopefully his (relatively) youthful enthusiasm can be mirrored in the films as well going forward.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

There's no evidence of that. Babs and MGW apprenticed for a while.
    echo wrote: »

And what have babs and mgw have been doing for the franchise in the last couple years

Only if you pay me in that amount worth of toffee crisp

And what have babs and mgw have been doing for the franchise in the last couple years
    Probably working their arses off.

Probably working their arses off.

Didn't realize you knew BB. You close?

I think its safe to say 2018 is not possible at this point.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Well, he expressed probably.

The helicopter being used for a non-Bond film? Well, that doesn't affect the real world production activity a bit.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 386
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Well, he expressed probably.

The helicopter being used for a non-Bond film? Well, that doesn't affect the real world production activity a bit.

Just mucking around.

Of course, no one knows the situation except the producers themselves.

I'm an avid sports fan and the only thing you can cling to when debating the merits of your favorite team is win / loss records. Pennants. Premiership cups. Harsh sometimes, but inarguable.

We know Bond makes money. We know Bond has many fans.

In the harsh light of day, SF resonated. Made unbelievable money. SP also made good money, but significantly less.

And now the current situation. You'd have to say that four years to produce a Bond film is a failure somewhere along the line. The bald facts don't point to disaster, but they don't suggest that everything is hunky dory either.

The producers must accept ultimate responsibility.
    I'd like a new mission every 2 years. It's their job.

But on the other hand I'm very happy with the last 4, the train is on the tracks. Quite a body of work with Craig. They got me.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 386
    I'd like a new mission every 2 years. It's their job.

But on the other hand I'm very happy with the last 4, the train is on the tracks. Quite a body of work with Craig. They got me.

There's no law that a new Bond movie be produced every two years.

But it's clearly what Cubby preferred. It's what the fans have been conditioned for. It's a good, solid time frame. Enough time to savor the current product. Enough urgency to keep the business ticking over nicely. It's a good, balanced business model.

No one asked for Sam Mendes. No one asked for sumptuously mounted scenes in Italian villas that go for three minutes. No one asked for arty fist fights against elaborate neon backdrops. No one asked for dreamlike car chases with all the immediacy of a Sunday cruise.

And before all the film students on here jump on to stress how unbearably hard it is to make movies these days, can it. Any mug on the street can see how other prod cos are killing it on shorter turnarounds. Yes, at all budgets and scales.

It takes elbow grease, yes. Vision. Ambition. Perhaps it takes putting your precious lead actor's nose out of joint. Most importantly, it's eminently possible.

Whether a distributor can be found or not, there is overwhelming evidence to suggest the entire operation has gotten too big. Bond isn't star wars. It isn't the Avengers. MI should be the template. Hell even FATF. Possibly a tier or two below that.

Bond is about style, intrigue and sly humor. Such elements need not cost the earth.

A betting man would conclude the producers have lost their way.