No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• boldfinger wrote: »
    I thought Bond is MGM´s main source of income? Don´t they lose money then if they for whatever reason don´t produce another Bond film?

They're expanding in television right now. It also sounds like MGM is expanding its movie slate a bit.

MGM turned a profit for 2016 but it was lower than the year before (table on page 20).

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-assets/assets/pdfs/investor-relations/YE 2016 Financial Report.pdf
  • Barber adds that the “increasing diversification of our premium content, combined with our extensive library and sound financial stewardship, puts us in a very favorable position to continue to deliver reliable financial performance and execute on our strategic growth initiatives.”

Full story via Deadline here:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/mgm-double-content-spending-2017-tv-bolsters-q4-financials-1202039321/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,110
    It doesn't really matter what they have planned, given enough time those plans will fall through just like what happened to Dalton. History is repeating itself here.
    Yes it's going to reach a point where it's too late for Craig to come back. They need a little bit of urgency. He could do 2 more but public expectation now is that hes going to be replaced. They need to confirm that's not the case if he wants to stay
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes it's going to reach a point where it's too late for Craig to come back. They need a little bit of urgency. He could do 2 more but public expectation now is that hes going to be replaced. They need to confirm that's not the case if he wants to stay

I'm not sure that's strictly true.
    Certainly a frustraing time to be a Bond fan. Every major film franchise is getting sequels, prequels, spin-offs. Even Bond's rival such as Mission Impossible and John Wick are getting regular box office outings. I genuinely am at a loss for words with what EON and MGM are doing with Bond. I do hope we find out this year WHEN to expect Bond 25, but we could be in for a very, very long wait.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Jason Bourne is at least 5 years away, so don't worry
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I wasn't expecting them to give us a juicy tidbit regarding Bond 25 in the slightest, only a few words regarding how close they are to closing down that infamous deal that's been the question of the ages since the release of the latest film. A word. A milestone. An official reassurance. A checkpoint. Like "the deal is being negotiated" or whatever. Sure we know it's being negotiated, but if they actually come to tell us that, we'd know we're close to seeing the light out of this dark passage. But, small hint of a breath about Bond wasn't even made. Wasn't expecting I'd be underwhelmed by not expecting much...

Anyway...

Say it is being negotiated, which it is, of course. How close we are to learning about the closure of this distribution deal? Is it due this year even? Just like to know where we stand on this at this right moment...
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Certainly a frustraing time to be a Bond fan. Every major film franchise is getting sequels, prequels, spin-offs. Even Bond's rival such as Mission Impossible and John Wick are getting regular box office outings. I genuinely am at a loss for words with what EON and MGM are doing with Bond. I do hope we find out this year WHEN to expect Bond 25, but we could be in for a very, very long wait.

We've already had a long wait - there should have been a film released this coming October (at the earliest), almost feel like giving up…c'mon EON get yer act together!
    So why did they buy that chopper?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    tanaka123 wrote: »

That's what I'd love to know. And why are they in supposed advanced negotiations with Dubrovnik?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »

That's what I'd love to know. And why are they in supposed advanced negotiations with Dubrovnik?

Exactly. Something is obviously in the works, and pre-production can be as long if not longer than production and post-production. Hopefully just keeping their cards close to their chest.
    Yes it's going to reach a point where it's too late for Craig to come back.

I've been thinking lately that that might be part of Eon's plan...

Why would that possibly be part of Eon's plan when it's been stated over and over again how valuable Craig is to them?
    I wasn't expecting them to give us a juicy tidbit regarding Bond 25 in the slightest, only a few words regarding how close they are to closing down that infamous deal that's been the question of the ages since the release of the latest film. A word. A milestone. An official reassurance. A checkpoint. Like "the deal is being negotiated" or whatever. Sure we know it's being negotiated, but if they actually come to tell us that, we'd know we're close to seeing the light out of this dark passage. But, small hint of a breath about Bond wasn't even made. Wasn't expecting I'd be underwhelmed by not expecting much...

Anyway...

Say it is being negotiated, which it is, of course. How close we are to learning about the closure of this distribution deal? Is it due this year even? Just like to know where we stand on this at this right moment...

It was "due" in early 2016 if I remember rightly. They have been quiet for a long time.

No ,I don't think they would jeopardise a schedule over that...they soon dumped Pierce by phone when they want to.

It doesn't really matter what they have planned, given enough time those plans will fall through just like what happened to Dalton. History is repeating itself here.

That was a far more complex situation back then, a battle over who held many of the ancillary rights. The present situation is about locking a distribution deal for Bond 25 and potential (likely) future Bonds -- and for many many producers, this is very standard. Stuff is happening behind the scenes, no question about it.

No ,I don't think they would jeopardise a schedule over that...they soon dumped Pierce by phone when they want to.

The apparent lack of urgency is unsettling. One minute we get news that they're buying choppers for production and scouting beautiful locations, and the next we hear there's still no distributor. It's almost like they're playing mind games with us. All very disappointing. I'm still hopeful we hear that production will officially begin late this year, or very, very early 2018 but it's all looking exceptionally bleak.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Anyway...

It was "due" in early 2016 if I remember rightly. They have been quiet for a long time.
    Well, I'm talking about the present. That was back when MGW said the deal was going to be sealed by February 2016. Lots happened since then. The CEO of Sony in August that year claimed something along the lines of the matter being too early to talk about. And later Gary Barber just said "Bond 25 is in development". When was that? In November or earlier? Doesn't matter as we're still in the dark.

So, the question is by the prediction of those who are in the industry... Is it even "due" to unveil this year? That thing called distribution deal?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,755
    Can production even begin without a distributor? I'm guessing not, but is it possible they could and then find a distributor while filming?

Also, will MGM host another conference some time later in the year? Maybe then we'll hear something.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

Something to watch while waiting for Bond25 ?
    Personally I still say 2018 is possible but we shall see
    The apparent lack of urgency is unsettling. One minute we get news that they're buying choppers for production and scouting beautiful locations, and the next we hear there's still no distributor. It's almost like they're playing mind games with us. All very disappointing. I'm still hopeful we hear that production will officially begin late this year, or very, very early 2018 but it's all looking exceptionally bleak.

Bleak indeed. Even if they technically did get everything sorted by the end of the summer, it's still asking a lot for everyone involved to simply spring into action and for production to rocket forth.
  • RC7RC7
    The apparent lack of urgency is unsettling. One minute we get news that they're buying chopper(s) for production and scouting beautiful location(s), and the next we hear there's still no distributor. It's almost like they're playing mind games with us. All very disappointing. I'm still hopeful we hear that production will officially begin late this year, or very, very early 2018 but it's all looking exceptionally bleak.

If you think EON are playing mind games you're sorely mistaken.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The apparent lack of urgency is unsettling. One minute we get news that they're buying chopper(s) for production and scouting beautiful location(s), and the next we hear there's still no distributor. It's almost like they're playing mind games with us. All very disappointing. I'm still hopeful we hear that production will officially begin late this year, or very, very early 2018 but it's all looking exceptionally bleak.

If you think EON are playing mind games you're sorely mistaken.

I don't truly think they are, that's just what it feels like!

Why would that possibly be part of Eon's plan when it's been stated over and over again how valuable Craig is to them?

They don't seem to be in any hurry to do the next Bond film, despite Craig getting on in age. By busying themselves with other projects, perhaps it's a passive-aggressive way to eventually get to the point where Craig might say he's too old for it, or they can pull a shifty on Craig like they did with Brosnan and dump him for supposedly being too old/wanting younger blood.

Yes, this makes sense to me.
    It's just a lot of pent-up frustration for all of us,as NOTHING has been mentioned from the time SP in 2015,through 2016 ,and now into March 2017.
    Can production even begin without a distributor? I'm guessing not, but is it possible they could and then find a distributor while filming?

Also, will MGM host another conference some time later in the year? Maybe then we'll hear something.

Many, many independent films go into production without distribution in place, some even go into production without a sales company (a sales company represents and takes the finished film to the markets to sell to international distribution companies etc.), but big films like Bond do require a central/main distribution deal to be locked in place because they need the deal to help finance the film.
  • RC7RC7

They don't seem to be in any hurry to do the next Bond film, despite Craig getting on in age. By busying themselves with other projects, perhaps it's a passive-aggressive way to eventually get to the point where Craig might say he's too old for it, or they can pull a shifty on Craig like they did with Brosnan and dump him for supposedly being too old/wanting younger blood.

Yes, this makes sense to me.

It's fanciful nonsense. You guys need some fresh air.

Yes they can start production - but would the money men let them with no distribution deal? Unlikely.