No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

HASEROT wrote: »
    its just all a matter of execution.
    Eon should be forced to write that down a million times.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2016 Posts: 2,252
    What we should be trying to do is improve the 20% thats bad as that is the only way we can get anywhere near 100% which I'd like to assume we are all striving for?

That's if EON listen to the bickering and nitpicking that goes on in these forums. I think they'd be the ones slashing their wrists if they read the negativity on here.

There's a few excellent ideas in the what should spectre have done differently thread so the brains in that thread should pitch a story idea to EON
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 150
    I know the contract/no contract discussion has come and gone, that things in the industry change all the time yada, yada, yada... but here's a bit where DC actually says he was contracted for two more films at the time Skyfall came out (01:30). He said his guess was he'd probably do one more but couldn't give a definitive answer for his last one. Indicative of the current situation, to say the least. Fingers crossed, though.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    First the most shocking thing.

@TheWizardOfIce likes 80% of Spectre???!!! That's a nasty rumour I think.

Second, usernames:

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is an ingenius username, the hidden 007, Brady M. being a Bond fanatic. It's fabulous and unique and why change it.

@ThePropertyOfALady also is marvelous. What better name than a Fleming title?!

I chose my username wisely. But of course I could have gone with
    @8point5lovestick
    @SwissSexOnLegs
    @ParascoutBond007
    @DaltonForeverAndADay
    @QuantumOfSolaceIsAnUnderratedGameOfGiganticProportionsWhyPeopleDon'tGetItIsBeyondMe
    @BROSNANRULEZALMOSTASGOODASDALTON
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i still believe that half of that 20% that was wrong with SP could've been resolved by rewriting the last third / climax of that film..

- why does there need to be 2 endings? - everything should've culminated into a big Dr No-esque finale at Blofeld's crater lair... could've still kept everything the same until after Bond is knocked out.. he wake's up in his own isolated torture room, and has to break out - which he does.. now he has to find Madeline, and stop Blofeld's 9Eyes from going online (which is obviously all controlled, or at least manipulated at his base).... long story short - Bond rescues Madeline, and a big climactic end finale ensues, one that harkens back to DN, GF, TSWLM.. instead of Bond just shooting 5 guys and blowing the place up - he starts a chain reaction of the place self destructing - Blofeld is thought to be dead from all the explosions.. but before Bond and Swann can escape, Hinx shows back up and he and Bond have one last fight while everything is collapsing around them... Bond narrowly manages an escape as Hinx is taken out by debris, or part of the building collapsing... Bond and Swann make it out, just before we get the big huge money shot explosion.... meanwhile, while all this is going on, C back in London was set to publicly launch 9Eyes, and team Mi6 had to be present and forced to watch as humiliation - but after the explosion takes out the link between Blofeld's base and C's 9Eyes feed, it all flips on C and some incriminating dirty laundry of his gets broadcast instead for the world to hear, police come take him away in cuffs as M and company look on... all this can be cut to and away from while everything is going on at Blofeld's lair.... no need for 2 completely separate endings that add an additional 20 minutes..

again, this isn't the most clear cut idea - it was me just thinking off the top of my head, and finer details would need to be worked out.. but i think / feel it to be a natural climactic ending than what we got.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    here's a positive... Spectre will have finished better than the latest Jason Bourne movie did at the US box office...

Spectre finished with $200mil (US domestic)

Jason Bourne is currently sitting at $160mil (US domestic) (opened on July, 29th)

i know it means absolutely nothing... but just figured i would share this meaningless piece of info.
    Oh, I like that. :D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Wow. I thought the Yanks were obsessed with Mr Bourne.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I thought it was a sign the first time I visited Aidan Turner's wiki and saw "active since 2007". :-$
    I'd say Jason Bourne, much like Austin Powers has had his day in the sun. Immensely popular for 15 minutes, yet will be seen in the near future as a dated 2000s trend. Fashionable for awhile, but later the butt of many jokes. Sorry, Jason, you're no 007.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd say Jason Bourne, much like Austin Powers has had his day in the sun. Immensely popular for 15 minutes, yet will be seen in the near future as a dated 2000s trend. Fashionable for awhile, but later the butt of many jokes. Sorry, Jason, you're no 007.

Austin Powers 4 is in the works...
    Has been for bloody ages
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Austin Powers 4 is in the works...

Oh...okay. Let's scratch that analogy shall we? How about "much like The Mullet, Jason Bourne has had his day in the sun"?.
    A bloke round my way has his hair in a mullet. So scratch that analogy.
    royale65 wrote: »
    A bloke round my way has his hair in a mullet. So scratch that analogy.

LOL. Maybe sometime I'll catch the newest Bourne film? I still have yet to see the Legacy. I'm just glad to hear SPECTRE creamed Jason Bourne at the box office.

Me too. Watched the first one. Very good. Then the rest were just a repeat. Anyway, after Greengrass' and Damon's comments about Bond, screw them.

edited September 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Matt Damon is always getting into trouble for his politically incorrect comments. Doesn't surprise me that he has rustled some feathers on this site.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't help but chuckle at some of these "celebrity grudges."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond is the undefeated champ. As has been, always will be. ;)
    a4227c54a21acafd47b0293b1562f46f.jpg
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 12,837
    The current situation reminded me of this interview with Brosnan

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/pierce-brosnan-2005-james-bond-interview

What's interesting to note is how he mentioned that they didn't know what they were doing in regards to the lead (and this is when CR was being written). And that's important to remember. EON make it up as they go along. They probably don't know themselves whether Craig is returning or not yet.

It's also interesting that, just as with Craig now, there were a large number of people who still thought Brosnan was going to return. And then he didn't. Basically I think this shows it's important to not religiously say he's saying or going. My prediction is that SP will be his last but none of us know for sure do we.

On an off topic note I think this interview is interesting because it's a good reflection of what public attitude toward Pierce was (the interviewer talks about how he "saved the franchise") before CR. There seems to be a bit of revisionist history in regards to the Brosnan era with people acting like DAD was the end of the line, the big turnaround, EON realised their "mistake", etc, when really he was still popular and there still seemed to be possibility of a fifth Brosnan film right up until Craig was cast.

Lastly I know Bond must be a tiring gig. And I know the comments were meant in jest. But with Craig's wrist slashing comments and subsequent indecisiveness about what he's doing, I found it refreshing to read an interview where the actor had nothing but positive things to say about playing the role. As well as enjoying the role, Brosnan talks about how it's done wonders for his career, got him a nice house, put his kids through school, etc, he talks about how at the end of the day it's a pretty sweet gig. Which I think is quite down to earth and, reading it now, refreshing. I get sick of actors going on about what a "tough shoot" some film or another was. Yeah I'm sure it is tiring but you're getting paid millions and get to sit on your arse for months, maybe years afterwards. Nurses, firemen, etc, don't have that luxury. Brosnan seems like someone who knows how lucky he is and is grateful for that, which is nice.

What's interesting to note is how he mentioned that they didn't know what they were doing in regards to the lead (and this is when CR was being written). And that's important to remember. EON make it up as they go along. They probably don't know themselves whether Craig is returning or not yet.

It's also interesting that, just as with Craig now, there were a large number of people who still thought Brosnan was going to return. And then he didn't. Basically I think this shows it's important to not religiously say he's saying or going. My prediction is that SP will be his last but none of us know for sure do we.

On an off topic note I think this interview is interesting because it's a good reflection of what public attitude toward Pierce was (the interviewer talks about how he "saved the franchise") before CR. There seems to be a bit of revisionist history in regards to the Brosnan era with people acting like DAD was the end of the line, the big turnaround, EON realised their "mistake", etc, when really he was still popular and there still seemed to be possibility of a fifth Brosnan film right up until Craig was cast.

Lastly I know Bond must be a tiring gig. And I know the comments were meant in jest. But with Craig's wrist slashing comments and subsequent indecisiveness about what he's doing, I found it refreshing to read an interview where the actor had nothing but positive things to say about playing the role. As well as enjoying the role, Brosnan talks about how it's done wonders for his career, got him a nice house, put his kids through school, etc, he talks about how at the end of the day it's a pretty sweet gig. Which I think is quite down to earth and, reading it now, refreshing. I get sick of actors going on about what a "tough shoot" some film or another was. Yeah I'm sure it is tiring but you're getting paid millions and get to sit on your arse for months, maybe years afterwards. Nurses, firemen, etc, don't have that luxury. Brosnan seems like someone who knows how lucky he is and is grateful for that, which is nice.

My prediction is that we hear nothing until next spring, then suddenly Craig departs seemingly out of nowhere. Turner announced by autumn, release date Nov 2019.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Nice article and excellent post.

Brozza has always realised that the role made him and been thankful for that. He gets a fair bit of flak but he always did his best and was let down by poor scripts and directors.
    I thought it was a sign the first time I visited Aidan Turner's wiki and saw "active since 2007". :-$

My prediction is that we hear nothing until next spring, then suddenly Craig departs seemingly out of nowhere. Turner announced by autumn, release date Nov 2019.

What's wrong with you? Turner would be best advised taking out an injunction to stop you coming within 200 yards of him.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    here's a positive... Spectre will have finished better than the latest Jason Bourne movie did at the US box office...

Spectre finished with $200mil (US domestic)

Jason Bourne is currently sitting at $160mil (US domestic) (opened on July, 29th)

i know it means absolutely nothing... but just figured i would share this meaningless piece of info.

Good :) ...beat both Bourne and Cruise.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Spectre was far more successful than many here want make us to believe.

Just because SF made more money which obviously is due to the 50 Anniversary hype and because SP didn't get the same critical response, SP must be a failure in their eyes.

Good catch @haserot

It means absolutely something. It means Spectre and James Bond are as relevant today as in 2012.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Just because SF made more money which obviously is due to the 50 Anniversary hype and because SP didn't get the same critical response, SP must be a failure in their eyes.

Who has doubted SP's financial success? That's in black and white and it made a lot of money. Not as much as SF but more than the other Craigs. And in any event box office is an utter irrelevance to quality. Just look at Transformers.

If SP is a failure (and I'm not saying it is) it's not because it didn't make as much as SF but because of its poor, cobbled together script.
    i still believe that half of that 20% that was wrong with SP could've been resolved by rewriting the last third / climax of that film..

- why does there need to be 2 endings? - everything should've culminated into a big Dr No-esque finale at Blofeld's crater lair... could've still kept everything the same until after Bond is knocked out.. he wake's up in his own isolated torture room, and has to break out - which he does.. now he has to find Madeline, and stop Blofeld's 9Eyes from going online (which is obviously all controlled, or at least manipulated at his base).... long story short - Bond rescues Madeline, and a big climactic end finale ensues, one that harkens back to DN, GF, TSWLM.. instead of Bond just shooting 5 guys and blowing the place up - he starts a chain reaction of the place self destructing - Blofeld is thought to be dead from all the explosions.. but before Bond and Swann can escape, Hinx shows back up and he and Bond have one last fight while everything is collapsing around them... Bond narrowly manages an escape as Hinx is taken out by debris, or part of the building collapsing... Bond and Swann make it out, just before we get the big huge money shot explosion.... meanwhile, while all this is going on, C back in London was set to publicly launch 9Eyes, and team Mi6 had to be present and forced to watch as humiliation - but after the explosion takes out the link between Blofeld's base and C's 9Eyes feed, it all flips on C and some incriminating dirty laundry of his gets broadcast instead for the world to hear, police come take him away in cuffs as M and company look on... all this can be cut to and away from while everything is going on at Blofeld's lair.... no need for 2 completely separate endings that add an additional 20 minutes..

again, this isn't the most clear cut idea - it was me just thinking off the top of my head, and finer details would need to be worked out.. but i think / feel it to be a natural climactic ending than what we got.
    This is truly brilliant, but it's also a very obvious direction for a Bond fan too.
    Thanks for spilling it all out though.
    For me the movie basically flat lines from the tedious torture sequence forward.
    Up until that point there was still potential for a great finish.
    Your resolution of The C matter, is yes much better- ie just a sidebar to tie up, after the main stage action at crater lair
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,598

Good idea. Something like this is what should have been done. They wasted that great lair. It was all over almost as soon as it started...and the way Bond so easily escapes from there is probably the worst part of the film for me. Well, maybe the second worst after that crappy London finale with those cheesy photos on the walls of people from Bond's past, the arrows pointing Bond to the end of the film and Bond leisurely cruising down the Thames while taking down the helicopter conveniently flying just ahead of him. Well, maybe Blofeld wanted a view of the river.

Also, why didn't Blofeld escape at the end of the film? Blofeld always escapes!

You know, the major thing that puts me off QOS, is the almost non stop action but I feel that the more I watch it and SP, the more chance I'll have of liking the former even more.

Even in the SP trailers, I could see that most of the action looked very dull but I didn't want to say anything out of fear of an onslaught of people saying "it's only the trailer!"

the difference between then and now - is them acquiring the rights to CR..

but i kind of get the feeling, looking back, that Broz was more of Cubby's man for Bond - whereas when Babs and MGW officially took over, he was kind of handed to them.. so perhaps they never really felt the same towards him as they now do with Craig? - who was their choice... it's all speculation on my part of course..

Yes, they were happy enough with DAD to sign off on it.. but i think they knew that the series was at a point where it could completely fly off the rails.. MGW has said as much, that they thought long and hard over bringing back Pierce to do a 5th, and go the overblown route again like in DAD - because it was a financial and box office success - and Pierce was still extremely popular as Bond.... but they made the hard decision to try something different and go back to square one and start over with CR..

i say all of this, because i think that if it means waiting an extra year, and Craig doing his final Bond film in 2019 instead of 2018, then i believe that that's what they'll do - because of the strong relationship Dan has with Babs and MGW.... i never got the sense that the relationship was as strong with Pierce.

Good catch @haserot

It means absolutely something. It means Spectre and James Bond are as relevant today as in 2012.
    It means that people create their own reality. When QoS brought a compareable decrease in returns, fans booed it as a failure and Eon started to deny they had anything to with it.

• HASEROT wrote: »
    the difference between then and now - is them acquiring the rights to CR..

but i kind of get the feeling, looking back, that Broz was more of Cubby's man for Bond - whereas when Babs and MGW officially took over, he was kind of handed to them.. so perhaps they never really felt the same towards him as they now do with Craig? - who was their choice... it's all speculation on my part of course..

Yes, they were happy enough with DAD to sign off on it.. but i think they knew that the series was at a point where it could completely fly off the rails.. MGW has said as much, that they thought long and hard over bringing back Pierce to do a 5th, and go the overblown route again like in DAD - because it was a financial and box office success - and Pierce was still extremely popular as Bond.... but they made the hard decision to try something different and go back to square one and start over with CR..

i say all of this, because i think that if it means waiting an extra year, and Craig doing his final Bond film in 2019 instead of 2018, then i believe that that's what they'll do - because of the strong relationship Dan has with Babs and MGW.... i never got the sense that the relationship was as strong with Pierce.

I agree that Pierce was more Cubby's choice and they appear to favour Dan but I also think that they're smart enough to know when to call it quits, and Craig is too. I disagree on your second paragraph. That's the narrative the Brosnan detractors want to believe, that they decided they had to ditch Pierce and go back to square one. But Brosnan was still in the frame for CR. He said in that interview that he'd heard from the studio that they didn't know what they were doing, and Purvis and Wade have said before that they originally wrote (or started to write, dunno what stage in the proccess they were before they went for the reboot angle) CR for Brosnan. But people act like DAD was the end of the line and EON finally snapped out of it and all this when I think it's clear, from various bits of information, that it wasn't the case at all and that Brosnan returning was a possibility right up until Craig was cast.

I do wish we'd gotten a fifth Brosnan film. Not CR but something better than Die Another Day. A one off Tarantino Bond film would have been a dream. I'd actually love it if a NSNA esque "rival" film was able to be made with Brosnan in the lead. Maybe even R rated as he seemed to want a much more violent take on the character.