No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• I think the Ritchie story is true. We know EON meet with lots of directors. On Spectre they met with Morten Tyldrum, JA Bayona, Rian Johnson, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Christopher Nolan (one of several meetings, apparently), Shane Black, Tom Hooper and David Yates. That's far from an exhaustive list.

So why not meet with Ritchie? He made a made 60's set spy flick last year. It makes sense. I'm not keen on him taking it though. I can just imagine Kermode ribbing his Bond film as 007 ladding about.

Just imagine Ritchie's Bond....Popping in for a pint. Getting lairy with the bouncers. Pulling Denise who works in recruitment. Getting thrown out of The King's Arm at 12.30 for mild racist comments to the Korean doorman. Getting a donair meat and chips. Promptly dropping it by the kerb. Eating it off the kerb.

daniel-craig-1.jpg

His style is too boisterous. Snatch is a fun film but it's hardly deserving off it's status ("Five minutes, Turkish"). His gangster films are trite rehashs (made worse by the fact that he's from the same middle-class town in Hertfordshire as me, which is a long way from cockney life). He rebranded himself well with the Sherlock Holmes films and I really enjoyed UNCLE. However, they were all fairly generic. I'm trying but really struggling to remember anything from them.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why max Denbigh should be called "C" in the first place?

Sure, @Matt007.

Bond is essentially just prodding playfully at Denbigh with the initial "C" because, just as "M" could be seen as deriving from the M in Military Intelligence, Section 6 or from his position as "Minister," I think Max Denbigh's codename of "C" is meant to stand for his position as head or "Chief" of the Centre for National Security.

It's not very clear, and I have always hated that scene. It may be my least favorite in the entire Craig era, actually.

Hearing Bond say, "that sounds lovely" to Denbigh's dream for British Intelligence at the end of the M meeting is horrid. Bond would never, ever say that.
    I don´t see why Bond shouldn´t say that. Bond has always been known to provoke his enemies directly, and Bond´s comment in that moment is big slap with the gauntlet.

As for "C", I could imagine because it sounds similar to "see". Another possibility could be a word that ends with "unt".

Actually I´m surprised now that I didn´t notice this while watching the film. Bot Bond´s comment, "that sounds lovely", as well as Bond calling C, "C", are classic instances of Bond confronting and provoking the villain.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ok @Wizard... I actually agree with you on directors.

Way off topic but I really thought Apted would do better.
  • I think the Ritchie story is true. We know EON meet with lots of directors. On Spectre they met with Morten Tyldrum, JA Bayona, Rian Johnson, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Christopher Nolan (one of several meetings, apparently), Shane Black, Tom Hooper and David Yates. That's far from an exhaustive list.

So why not meet with Ritchie? He made a made 60's set spy flick last year. It makes sense. I'm not keen on him taking it though. I can just imagine Kermode ribbing his Bond film as 007 ladding about.

Like I said :-). I think we Bond fans seriously need to consider Guy Ritchie as the next Bond director. I'm all in for it. A more dominant touch of 'Guy Hamilton' combined with Ritchie's suaveness in "UNCLE". I really think it could work. Add to that a story that's set on a giant Formula One racing circuit, and I think we're in for a special Bond film again.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think the Ritchie story is true. We know EON meet with lots of directors. On Spectre they met with Morten Tyldrum, JA Bayona, Rian Johnson, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Christopher Nolan (one of several meetings, apparently), Shane Black, Tom Hooper and David Yates. That's far from an exhaustive list.

Like I said :-). I think we Bond fans seriously need to consider Guy Ritchie as the next Bond director. I'm all in for it. A more dominant touch of 'Guy Hamilton' combined with Ritchie's suaveness in "UNCLE". I really think it could work. Add to that a story that's set on a giant Formula One racing circuit, and I think we're in for a special Bond film again.

Guy Ritchie plus a scene at a 'giant' F1 track (God alone knows what that is? The Nurburgring is the only one that springs to mind that qualifies as 'giant' but it's been many a year since they had F1 races there)? Going to take more than that to get me excited for a new Bond film.

If Ritchie gets the gig I'd be very surprised given that these days EON seem to be shopping for higher calibre talent behind the camera and his track record since Snatch has been dire, with the exception of the Holmes films (which are fun enough in a poor man's Roger Moore vein I suppose). I can hardly say I'm brimming with the excitement you seem to be struggling to contain at his potential appointment.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd much rather have Ritchie do another Holmes film. He oversaw the greatest live-action take on Moriarty we've seen in decades and Game of Shadows had a lot of thematic interest in it as well that I'd like to see him continue using.

Guy Ritchie plus a scene at a 'giant' F1 track (God alone knows what that is? The Nurburgring is the only one that springs to mind that qualifies as 'giant' but it's been many a year since they had F1 races there)? Going to take more than that to get me excited for a new Bond film.

If Ritchie gets the gig I'd be very surprised given that these days EON seem to be shopping for higher calibre talent behind the camera and his track record since Snatch has been dire, with the exception of the Holmes films (which are fun enough in a poor man's Roger Moore vein I suppose). I can hardly say I'm brimming with the excitement you seem to be struggling to contain at his potential appointment.

Then again, you're never that happy or positive about the finished Bond product...are you :-). With your behavior on here.....you perhaps would...'slash your wrists' soon :-P.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Gustav_Graves, I've butted heads with Wiz in the past, but I think it's erroneous to claim that he's not consistently clear-headed about what works and what doesn't in a film. I've never heard an argument from him and thought, "oh, he's just having a laugh." I don't agree with some of his views, but they're certainly all fully formed thoughts that he only makes when he's thought them through and balanced out what works and what doesn't in a Bond movie his mind.

For instance, he's said many times that he liked 80% of SP, so 20% of negativity in your view doesn't really equate to your view of him as "never" satisfied.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    for those that say Craig's last Bond film (if he does come back for #25) needs to be this or that - darker/gritter.. lighter/sillier ... the answer is somewhere in the middle... for all my gripes with SP, it's overall tone i didn't mind.. IMO, it straddled a fine as best it could - just parts of it are executed poorly.... ideally, something between CR and SF (and not literally QOS) is something all Bond movies from here on out should aspire to be... i like when Bond movies are more grounded thrillers - but it shouldn't be so devoid of humor or off the cuff remarks that it becomes more akin to a Jason Bourne movie - the humor is something that sets Bond apart from the others...
    I don't want Ritchie or Vaughn please. I want a thriller not an action film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,399
    i really try not to discount anyone as a possible Bond director these days..

everyone here loves fluffing Martin Campbell - but had he never done a Bond film, and just got the gig to Bond 25 - we'd be like "the guy who made that awful Green Lantern movie??? WTF are you thinking EON?!?!?!"..

i mean, FFS Roger Spottiswoode's only claims to fame before he helmed TND was "Air America", "Turner & Hooch" and "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!"..

Guy Ritchie or anyone else on GG's list i wouldn't have a problem with if chosen..
    Campbell isn't perfect, compare the American action stylings of CR to the train fight in FRWL.
    maybe EON should get Corey Feldman for the next Bond theme - even appear in the opening credits like Sheena Easton did.. LMAO :))

@haserot, how dare you post that video and lure me like a moth to a flame to watch it.

Watching it was...traumatic. You know those moments when you're watching someone else doing something they think it good but is actually extremely bad, and you can't help but feel a wave of embarrassment overtake you, almost as if you're in their place? Well, that was me for those five and a half minutes.
    There's a useful two-letter word for that, and it's called secondhand embarrassment. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh, I get it. 'Go 4 It.' Because, it's like 'Go For It,' only they took it in a really unique, never-before-seen direction, because the 'For' is actually '4', the number. What ingenuity!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @IGUANNA Perhaps you mean a 23 letter two words for that.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7:

Two things:
    1. Why is your username so long and confusing to type?

and

2. You really must try Googling the word "Fremdschämen", a word for which there is no English equivalent.
    @PropertyOfALady, about the username, long story short-ish:

Whenever I've had to create a username in my life, I've always run into the problem of having a lot of what I type being taken by someone else. When I first joined the forum I expected the number of regular members to be bigger than it was (I was foreign to the Bond forum world, or any forums for that matter), and so I made a username that was more specific and that used letters and numbers to more effectively come up with something that wouldn't be taken, but that also incorporated Bond.

I actually hate my username, and would change it in a heartbeat if I was able to, now that I know there'd be no chance of coming up with a name that wasn't taken. Most vets who've been with me since 2011 know me well enough to just call me Brady now, which makes it way easier to communicate.

Thanks for passing that german world along to me, by the way. It gives a name to a feeling I experience often.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @PropertyOfALady, about the username, long story short-ish:

Whenever I've had to create a username in my life, I've always run into the problem of having a lot of what I type being taken by someone else. When I first joined the forum I expected the number of regular members to be bigger than it was (I was foreign to the Bond forum world, or any forums for that matter), and so I made a username that was more specific and that used letters and numbers to more effectively come up with something that wouldn't be taken, but that also incorporated Bond.

I actually hate my username, and would change it in a heartbeat if I was able to, now that I know there'd be no chance of coming up with a name that wasn't taken. Most vets who've been with me since 2011 know me well enough to just call me Brady now, which makes it way easier to communicate.

Thanks for passing that german world along to me, by the way. It gives a name to a feeling I experience often.
    @Brady You have the best username, it's got 0-0-7 hidden inside it! Me? I must have the dullest username of all MI6 Community members. At the time it made sense (Jake24 - Bond 24), but it has slowly lost its meaning.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @jake24, that's very nice of you to say, but so many others would suit me better. Like....

@DontHitMeILoveQuantumofSolace

@EvaGreenLoverXoXo

@VesperLyndRIPXoXoXo

@DiscipleofConnery

@SeanIsGod

@WhyIsntSeanMyDad

That's all I got.
    @jake24 your name will become meaningful again for a year when you turn 24 so look forward to it.
    if i could change mine, i probably would as well - to something more Bondian.. but like Brady, I am kind of known by this name now - since i've had it for almost 10 years now... so anything other than this name would be a shocker lol.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    If you really hate it, you can message a mod, and they'll change it. I remember Dr Gorner became Thunderpussy.
    lol.. nah.. it's become my trademark of sorts..

i think the only thing i would request, is that my name look like hASEROT, instead of all lowercase.. thats it lol.
    @jake24, that's very nice of you to say, but so many others would suit me better. Like....

@EvaGreenLoverXoXo

@VesperLyndRIPXoXoXo

@DiscipleofConnery

@SeanIsGod

@WhyIsntSeanMyDad

That's all I got.

GoldfingerMyOctopussy

a little too much??

:)) :O)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    HASEROT wrote: »

@EvaGreenLoverXoXo

@VesperLyndRIPXoXoXo

@DiscipleofConnery

@SeanIsGod

@WhyIsntSeanMyDad

That's all I got.

GoldfingerMyOctopussy

a little too much??

How about ThunderfingerMyThunderpussy?
    jake24 wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »

@EvaGreenLoverXoXo

@VesperLyndRIPXoXoXo

@DiscipleofConnery

@SeanIsGod

@WhyIsntSeanMyDad

That's all I got.

GoldfingerMyOctopussy

a little too much??

How about ThunderfingerMyThunderpussy?

lol whatever works.
    I think CR is Craigs lightest in tone, followed by SP, QOS & SF.

Skyfalls ending alone leaves it as the darkest of the Craig era IMO.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,399
    Murdock wrote: »
    The franchise needs to focus less on Oscar bait and more fan bait.

SP showed that there is room for both - it was just handled poorly at times... hell, even CR established that back in 2006 there is enough room for both, it's just all in how it's balanced... CR did this masterfully..

its just all a matter of execution.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think the Ritchie story is true. We know EON meet with lots of directors. On Spectre they met with Morten Tyldrum, JA Bayona, Rian Johnson, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Christopher Nolan (one of several meetings, apparently), Shane Black, Tom Hooper and David Yates. That's far from an exhaustive list.

Then again, you're never that happy or positive about the finished Bond product...are you :-). With your behavior on here.....you perhaps would...'slash your wrists' soon :-P.

Not often no. Its called striving for perfection son. Even OHMSS and CR I can pick tiny faults and things that could be improved.

Dont get me wrong when I realised Bond was going to eject himself in SP I grinned like a little boy. Obviously I would have preferred a better stunt after it but thats by the by.

But just coming on here and frothing endlessly about how fantastic everything is when there are clearly serious issues that need to be addressed with the film and EONs general direction doesnt really interest me.

Theres nothing to be gained by endlessly fawning over the 80% of SP thats good - that 80% will still be good at the end of it. What we should be trying to do is improve the 20% thats bad as that is the only way we can get anywhere near 100% which I'd like to assume we are all striving for?

I'd just like to point out though that in the Ritchie case above it is not the finished Bond product it is just pure speculation which somewhat underwhelms me. Now Waltz I was made up for and excited that we had got him and looked how that turned out? You might think that merely adding Ritchie and some F1 scenes are all we need to remedy the 20% but some of us feel it goes slightly deeper than that.

PS - It was only DAD that made me slash my wrists. I'm still in therapy once a month but I'm getting there.