No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    HASEROT wrote: »
    the difference between then and now - is them acquiring the rights to CR..

but i kind of get the feeling, looking back, that Broz was more of Cubby's man for Bond - whereas when Babs and MGW officially took over, he was kind of handed to them.. so perhaps they never really felt the same towards him as they now do with Craig? - who was their choice... it's all speculation on my part of course..

Yes, they were happy enough with DAD to sign off on it.. but i think they knew that the series was at a point where it could completely fly off the rails.. MGW has said as much, that they thought long and hard over bringing back Pierce to do a 5th, and go the overblown route again like in DAD - because it was a financial and box office success - and Pierce was still extremely popular as Bond.... but they made the hard decision to try something different and go back to square one and start over with CR..

i say all of this, because i think that if it means waiting an extra year, and Craig doing his final Bond film in 2019 instead of 2018, then i believe that that's what they'll do - because of the strong relationship Dan has with Babs and MGW.... i never got the sense that the relationship was as strong with Pierce.

I agree that Pierce was more Cubby's choice and they appear to favour Dan but I also think that they're smart enough to know when to call it quits, and Craig is too. I disagree on your second paragraph. That's the narrative the Brosnan detractors want to believe, that they decided they had to ditch Pierce and go back to square one. But Brosnan was still in the frame for CR. He said in that interview that he'd heard from the studio that they didn't know what they were doing, and Purvis and Wade have said before that they originally wrote (or started to write, dunno what stage in the proccess they were before they went for the reboot angle) CR for Brosnan. But people act like DAD was the end of the line and EON finally snapped out of it and all this when I think it's clear, from various bits of information, that it wasn't the case at all and that Brosnan returning was a possibility right up until Craig was cast.

I do wish we'd gotten a fifth Brosnan film. Not CR but something better than Die Another Day. A one off Tarantino Bond film would have been a dream. I'd actually love it if a NSNA esque "rival" film was able to be made with Brosnan in the lead. Maybe even R rated as he seemed to want a much more violent take on the character.
    Someone finally said it. Thank you.

And besides, if DAD was too much of a negative point for the franchise, they wouldn't have gone ahead and give Brosnan his fifth shot as Bond in the video game Everything or Nothing, which is a big thing. They would have halted all the license and development around it at once and went back to square one. One of the reasons Brosnan wasn't delivered on point for his fifth cinematic installment was because he required a big cheque, something that wasn't big for an actor to demand but a demand that didn't meet with the producers. That's another angle to look at.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    The current situation reminded me of this interview with Brosnan

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/pierce-brosnan-2005-james-bond-interview

What's interesting to note is how he mentioned that they didn't know what they were doing in regards to the lead (and this is when CR was being written). And that's important to remember. EON make it up as they go along. They probably don't know themselves whether Craig is returning or not yet.

It's also interesting that, just as with Craig now, there were a large number of people who still thought Brosnan was going to return. And then he didn't. Basically I think this shows it's important to not religiously say he's saying or going. My prediction is that SP will be his last but none of us know for sure do we.

On an off topic note I think this interview is interesting because it's a good reflection of what public attitude toward Pierce was (the interviewer talks about how he "saved the franchise") before CR. There seems to be a bit of revisionist history in regards to the Brosnan era with people acting like DAD was the end of the line, the big turnaround, EON realised their "mistake", etc, when really he was still popular and there still seemed to be possibility of a fifth Brosnan film right up until Craig was cast.

Lastly I know Bond must be a tiring gig. And I know the comments were meant in jest. But with Craig's wrist slashing comments and subsequent indecisiveness about what he's doing, I found it refreshing to read an interview where the actor had nothing but positive things to say about playing the role. As well as enjoying the role, Brosnan talks about how it's done wonders for his career, got him a nice house, put his kids through school, etc, he talks about how at the end of the day it's a pretty sweet gig. Which I think is quite down to earth and, reading it now, refreshing. I get sick of actors going on about what a "tough shoot" some film or another was. Yeah I'm sure it is tiring but you're getting paid millions and get to sit on your arse for months, maybe years afterwards. Nurses, firemen, etc, don't have that luxury. Brosnan seems like someone who knows how lucky he is and is grateful for that, which is nice.

the difference between then and now - is them acquiring the rights to CR..

but i kind of get the feeling, looking back, that Broz was more of Cubby's man for Bond - whereas when Babs and MGW officially took over, he was kind of handed to them.. so perhaps they never really felt the same towards him as they now do with Craig? - who was their choice... it's all speculation on my part of course..

Yes, they were happy enough with DAD to sign off on it.. but i think they knew that the series was at a point where it could completely fly off the rails.. MGW has said as much, that they thought long and hard over bringing back Pierce to do a 5th, and go the overblown route again like in DAD - because it was a financial and box office success - and Pierce was still extremely popular as Bond.... but they made the hard decision to try something different and go back to square one and start over with CR..

i say all of this, because i think that if it means waiting an extra year, and Craig doing his final Bond film in 2019 instead of 2018, then i believe that that's what they'll do - because of the strong relationship Dan has with Babs and MGW.... i never got the sense that the relationship was as strong with Pierce.

Well rumour has it that Babs and Dalton were an item at one point, so we can guess she might have liked to carry on in the role...
    If i recall Brozza was not favoured by Cubby Broccoli! I think its in John Glens book, that he and Michael Wilson had to persuade Cubby that he was suitable!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    If i recall Brozza was not favoured by Cubby Broccoli! I think its in John Glens book, that he and Michael Wilson had to persuade Cubby that he was suitable!

Huh? Think maybe that was Dalton.
    Brosnan was in favour by Broccoli ever since he stepped in on the set of For Your Eyes Only.

"If he can act, he's my guy."
    -Cubby Broccoli
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Brosnan was in favour by Broccoli ever since he stepped in on the set of For Your Eyes Only.

"If he can act, he's my guy."
    -Cubby Broccoli

That's what I recall too.
    It certainly WASNT Dalton! Broccoli had been after Dalton for Bond many times! I shall try and flick through Glens book and find a quote!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    Breaking news. The new bond is confirmed as....Sir Roger Moore

Barbara Brocolli: 'at a time like this we need a safe pair of hands. Roger is guaranteed box office'

But isn't Moore too old?
    'well I said I was about 400 years too old back in 85, now I'm only about 500 years. What's the difference. '

'CGI can do wonders nowadays. You can get a stuntman to do the action and then cgi my face on to his. Simples. I can do all the scenes where I'm sitting down and of course the love scenes. I'm still up to that.'

'I'm going to bring the films back to where they belong. I'm rung up my old mate Victor Tourjansky. No classic chase scene is complete without him. And I'm bringing back the double taking animals. But this time lots more of them.'

Was he surprised to be offered the part at his age?

'Yes of course I was. One does say never say never but I really thought the boat had sailed for me. I was heartened by the comments on mi6 community (of which I'm a regular reader and contributor) saying that there is no age limit on Bond, and that 60 is the new 40. Something like that anyway. That really gave me the confidence to say yes.'

Will the writing take account of his advanced age?

'Maybe a bit, but overall I'm thinking just play it like we did before when I was only 400 years too old.'
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Uuuhhh...ok?

Will it be called "Never say never say never again"
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    tentative title: 'Look who's back'.
    It has a double meaning because Blofeld will be escaping from jail.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Barbara Brocolli: 'at a time like this we need a safe pair of hands. Roger is guaranteed box office'

But isn't Moore too old?
    'well I said I was about 400 years too old back in 85, now I'm only about 500 years. What's the difference. '

'CGI can do wonders nowadays. You can get a stuntman to do the action and then cgi my face on to his. Simples. I can do all the scenes where I'm sitting down and of course the love scenes. I'm still up to that.'

'I'm going to bring the films back to where they belong. I'm rung up my old mate Victor Tourjansky. No classic chase scene is complete without him. And I'm bringing back the double taking animals. But this time lots more of them.'

'Yes of course I was. One does say never say never but I really thought the boat had sailed for me. I was heartened by the comments on mi6 community (of which I'm a regular reader and contributor) saying that there is no age limit on Bond, and that 60 is the new 40. Something like that anyway. That really gave me the confidence to say yes.'

'Maybe a bit, but overall I'm thinking just play it like we did before when I was only 400 years too old.'

And to think I thought when Stewart Lee got axed by the beeb that great comedy is dead.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It certainly WASNT Dalton! Broccoli had been after Dalton for Bond many times! I shall try and flick through Glens book and find a quote!

He had considered him after Connery went, and was considering him again after Moonraker, but don't make it sound like Cubby was licking Dalton's boots and begging him to be Bond.

;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm very curious to have some confirmation on this. I'm sure Cubby probably favoured one of them during the 1986 casting choice to replace Moore, and MGM also probably had a point of view.
    They offered it to Dalton before Brosnan. Dalton was unavailable so they signed Brosnan. Brosnan's Remingston Steele contract clause precludes him from playing the role, by this point Dalton is finishing Brenda Starr and is available.
    Precisely. And Cubby insisted that he doesn't want to associate Bond with a then-currently running television series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And in any event box office is an utter irrelevance to quality. Just look at Transformers.

What? Transformers made poor money?
    I dont understand your point NicNac! A point was made that Broccoli didnt favour Dalton! Considering he wanted him for Bond for OHMSS, FYEO and OP, this is unlikely!
    I merely stated that i had read somewhere that Glen and Wilson had to persuade Broccoli about Brosnan! I think its in John Glens book, 'For My Eyes Only', but i definitely read it somewhere!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wasn t it Wilson who thought Brosnan was a ridiculous choice for Bond?
    Did he actually say that?
    No, that was me!! Heh, heh!
    The author of all Brosnan's pain?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    They offered it to Dalton before Brosnan. Dalton was unavailable so they signed Brosnan. Brosnan's Remingston Steele contract clause precludes him from playing the role, by this point Dalton is finishing Brenda Starr and is available.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. I was in the cutting rooms back then and knew, and still know very well, many of the Bond editing team at that time and all I ever heard was Brosnan was everyone's top choice. I never heard Dalton mentioned once until Brosnan had to pull out. I firmly remember Tony Wade, then the Bond LP, stopping to chat with John Shirley (editor of Chitty, LALD and TMWTGG) who I was working with and lunching in the pub garden at the time, and Tony Wade said Brosnan was Bond, and this was pretty deep into pre-production on TLD but before an official announcement.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,756
    I have an INSIDE SOURCE confirming to me that Craig will only return if the Bond girl they cast is "hot enough" and that he won't compromise "anything below a 10".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

But isn't Moore too old?

@DaltonCraig007 will be thrilled!
    Honestly Guy Ritchie as Director either Craig coming back or a new 007 (preferbly Tom Hardy or Michael Fassbender) and there you go Honestly I would love a for your eyes only opening with Bond visiting Swann's grave showing that she died and bond took revenge but we didn't see that at all. and we move on to a film independent fo everything else except for that nod. This is the only way to please everyone I fear. sure those who hate Swann will grumble but really for a 3 minute scene at the begining if the rest of the 2 hours and 15 minutes are fantastic i hardly think anyone will be that upset.
    ColonelSun, its true Brosnan was cast, even did all the publicity photos in the tux etc. None of them, least of all Brosnan was expecting MTM productions to renew Brosnans contract for Remington Steele at the 11th hour! When they did, Broccoli and Co had no choice but to drop Brosnan, as they weren't going to have a TV series riding on their publicity!
    Dalton was offered it first, but other commitments prevented him from signing, when Brosnan was dropped, Daltons scheduling had changed and he was available!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Honestly Guy Ritchie as Director either Craig coming back or a new 007 (preferbly Tom Hardy or Michael Fassbender) and there you go Honestly I would love a for your eyes only opening with Bond visiting Swann's grave showing that she died and bond took revenge but we didn't see that at all. and we move on to a film independent fo everything else except for that nod. This is the only way to please everyone I fear. sure those who hate Swann will grumble but really for a 3 minute scene at the begining if the rest of the 2 hours and 15 minutes are fantastic i hardly think anyone will be that upset.

You stand corrected there, mate.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's not right. I was in the cutting rooms back then and knew, and still know very well, many of the Bond editing team at that time and all I ever heard was Brosnan was everyone's top choice. I never heard Dalton mentioned once until Brosnan had to pull out. I firmly remember Tony Wade, then the Bond LP, stopping to chat with John Shirley (editor of Chitty, LALD and TMWTGG) who I was working with and lunching in the pub garden at the time, and Tony Wade said Brosnan was Bond, and this was pretty deep into pre-production on TLD but before an official announcement.

You may be right, that's just the way it comes across on the Inside The Living Daylights documentary.
    ColonelSun, its true Brosnan was cast, even did all the publicity photos in the tux etc. None of them, least of all Brosnan was expecting MTM productions to renew Brosnans contract for Remington Steele at the 11th hour! When they did, Broccoli and Co had no choice but to drop Brosnan, as they weren't going to have a TV series riding on their publicity!
    Dalton was offered it first, but other commitments prevented him from signing, when Brosnan was dropped, Daltons scheduling had changed and he was available!

Yes, this is what I got from the Inside The Living Daylights documentary.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

But isn't Moore too old?

=))