No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For f's sake people really lose their shirts over the Brother line. It was a single throwaway line that had no impact on Bond. Only Blofeld's ego. Big whoop. 8-}
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    For f's sake people really lose their shirts over the Brother line. It was a single throwaway line that had no impact on Bond. Only Blofeld's ego. Big whoop. 8-}
    Yeah, I hate the internet.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,115

It was a major departure for Blofeld. It wasn't enough to bring back Bond's archfoe, but they had to make it *PERSONAL*. It was similar to the U.S. television show Hawaii Five-0, which rebooted the arch foe of the original series and made that personal, also.

Finally, remember, "Austin Power f*cked us," as to why the reboot was necessary in 2006? Then you follow the Austin Powers playbook. It is, even if you don't think it's a big deal, a notable contradiction.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fjdinardo, don't see why we would, as at the absolute minimum, we're a solid year and a half, two years from filming. They may have directors in mind at this point, but from what I understand, a script isn't even being worked on yet, so I wouldn't expect an announcement for quite some time.

Gotcha i say that because wasn't Mendes announced as Director of Spectre in March 2013?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It was beyond unnecessary to shoehorn the impossibly stupid childhood backstory connection.

It's sad, how with these 3 to 4 year gaps this is the level of writing we're getting. Loyalty goes out the window when one starts taking the piss. EoN need to do away with some of their outdated prerequisites when making these films and start prioritising quality writing material and direction. At this point, Craig isn't even all that important, not with casting suggestions being bandied about so frequently and casually. Sure, he's fantastic in the role but Lord knows he and his movies could and should be better with the proper care. He's wasting his talents and EoN need a writer and director who can convey a compelling story first and foremost with great dialogue for actors to work with. SP's dialogue was largely pedestrian and casting great actors and given them mediocre material is just criminal. EoN expect and hope for high financial standards and returns, well, put the work in and make it worth everyone's while for such rewards to be achieved!

There's so much great talent out there, EON just need to have the balls they had during 2005 to 2008 to push for something unique, spectacular and exciting. Until then Bond can creatively play second fiddle to MI and Bourne. The whole circus of who's singing the theme, the name if the movie, what character is so and so playing...all that smoke and mirrors bull crap is getting old when the end product is lacking. I love Bond and it's aggravating that the movies are being so fundamentally mismanaged and taking creative shortcuts that are obvious to fans. EoN need to realise that audiences are far more sophisticated and have expectations that need to be reasonably met. 50 years or 100 years of legacy it doesn't matter; you still need to put out a bloody good product and cheap fan service will not be accepted!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fjdinardo, don't see why we would, as at the absolute minimum, we're a solid year and a half, two years from filming. They may have directors in mind at this point, but from what I understand, a script isn't even being worked on yet, so I wouldn't expect an announcement for quite some time.

Gotcha i say that because wasn't Mendes announced as Director of Spectre in March 2013?
    July 11, 2013 to be exact. I'd expect a similar announcement date for Bond 25, even though the production schedule has become somewhat unpredictable with every release. It might have been earlier had they not waited for Mendes to come on board.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2016 Posts: 16,331

It was a major departure for Blofeld. It wasn't enough to bring back Bond's archfoe, but they had to make it *PERSONAL*. It was similar to the U.S. television show Hawaii Five-0, which rebooted the arch foe of the original series and made that personal, also.

Finally, remember, "Austin Power f*cked us," as to why the reboot was necessary in 2006? Then you follow the Austin Powers playbook. It is, even if you don't think it's a big deal, a notable contradiction.
    I'll gladly take New Blofeld over say this drastically major departure.
    tumblr_nxpjj8YFe91tgh17uo1_1280.png

That is far more damaging than Daddy Oberhauser telling Blofeld to TREAT Bond like a Brother for the short time he's staying.

Austin Powers is long gone. Goldmember was the Final Nail in the coffin.
  • @Birdleson, it happens every time around. Skyfall was praised even more lavishly, and it got a backlash. There was no doubt Spectre would get one of its own.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,598
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It was beyond unnecessary to shoehorn the impossibly stupid childhood backstory connection.

It's sad, how with these 3 to 4 year gaps this is the level of writing we're getting. Loyalty goes out the window when one starts taking the piss. EoN need to do away with some of their outdated prerequisites when making these films and start prioritising quality writing material and direction. At this point, Craig isn't even all that important, not with casting suggestions being bandied about so frequently and casually. Sure, he's fantastic in the role but Lord knows he and his movies could and should be better with the proper care. He's wasting his talents and EoN need a writer and director who can convey a compelling story first and foremost with great dialogue for actors to work with. SP's dialogue was largely pedestrian and casting great actors and given them mediocre material is just criminal. EoN expect and hope for high financial standards and returns, well, put the work in and make it worth everyone's while for such rewards to be achieved!

There's so much great talent out there, EON just need to have the balls they had during 2005 to 2008 to push for something unique, spectacular and exciting. Until then Bond can creatively play second fiddle to MI and Bourne. The whole circus of who's singing the theme, the name if the movie, what character is so and so playing...all that smoke and mirrors bull crap is getting old when the end product is lacking. I love Bond and it's aggravating that the movies are being so fundamentally mismanaged and taking creative shortcuts that are obvious to fans. EoN need to realise that audiences are far more sophisticated and have expectations that need to be reasonably met. 50 years or 100 years of legacy it doesn't matter; you still need to put out a bloody good product and cheap fan service will not be accepted!

Very much agreed. Well said! I thought that after CR, Eon had finally grown some balls, but it appears not.

The writers/director/Eon seem to think that throwing in these silly personal back stories is the only way to create character movement. Character work can be explored in so many other ways. They really have cheapened Bond's and Blofeld's back story by establishing this garbage clichéd personal connection. I would go so far as to suggest they put some dialogue in Bond 25 that states that this was a smokescreen and Blofeld had intended Bond to escape, but needed to test his skills, with the aim of seeing if he's up to par, in the hope of recruiting him and that he'd made up the fact that there was a personal connection with the aim of possibly making him feel more inclined in joining him. The base in the desert merely being an expendable, temporary set up.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Hmm ... as much as I want this to be true, weren't both DC and Sam Mendes put off by Sony trying to do Spectre and Bond 25 as back-to-back films? DC expressed quite graphically how much he wanted to just get back to his family and other projects after the length of making one Bond, I can't see him wanting to make 2 back to back. If this is true I fear it may drive DC away.
    The Sun and The Daily Mail are not exactly the most reliable sources.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Everyone is lying. I remember when the back to back filming was brought up and Craig was saying that no such suggestion had ever been made, which wasn't the case. Bond is shrouded in rumours and lies until after the fact. With Bond it's wait and see. As long as Mendes, Newman and the current writing team are attached it's hard to get excited about future installments......and by the way, the studio wants? Which studio? Sony's contract is up and EoN are in the middle of negotiations with various studios.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Everyone is lying. I remember when the back to back filming was brought up and Craig was saying that no such suggestion had ever been made, which wasn't the case. Bond is shrouded in rumours and lies until after the fact. With Bond it's wait and see. As long as Mendes, Newman and the current writing team are attached it's hard to get excited about future installments.

I agree but I'm still a fan. I was heartbroken back when the leaks hit the news. I knew they were choking then.

Actually before that when it was announced back during the SF days that Logan was working on B24. I didn't like his scripts or his vision of whom Bond is.

I'm not worried about Logan but I am worried Mendes may return and that EoN will whimp and hire P&W.

But will they? Idk. Right now no one has been announced so crossing fingers.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Everyone is lying. I remember when the back to back filming was brought up and Craig was saying that no such suggestion had ever been made, which wasn't the case. Bond is shrouded in rumours and lies until after the fact. With Bond it's wait and see. As long as Mendes, Newman and the current writing team are attached it's hard to get excited about future installments......and by the way, the studio wants? Which studio? Sony's contract is up and EoN are in the middle of negotiations with various studios.

'At the studio there was a real keenness to get it done as soon as possible,' he explained. 'In fact, there was a conversation at one point that went: “Let’s film two movies back to back.” I just went: “You’re out of your f*****g minds.” - Daniel Craig

edited January 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Yes but prior to the actual filming of SP, when filming 2 films back to back was brought up, he flat out denied it and talked about how there was no such mention or remote discussion of shooting 2 films back to back.

Now there's this rumor of the same back to back filming which allegedly the studio is pushing for. For SP I can see why Sony wanted it and you cant blame them for pushing for it but the studio now is pushoh for 2 films and tge qyestion is,which studio? Sony are no longer tge studio behind Bond as tgeyre contract ended with SP...unless theyve reached a deal tgat us yet to be announced but wtf knows.
    Yes but prior to the actual filming of SP, when filming 2 films back to back was brought up, he flat out denied it and talked about how there was no such mention or remote discussion of shooting 2 films back to back.

The story's nonsense, we need to wait until we get some truth.
    I know it's nonsense I was just pointing out that you can't trust the reports and you cant even trust the lead actor. Hence why I said in my initial post that, with Bond it's a case of wait and see.
    I know it's nonsense I was just pointing out that you can't trust the reports and you cant even trust the lead actor. Hence why I said in my initial post that, with Bond it's a case of wait and see.

Exactly. You have to feel for these tabloids ... they're so desperate for money they need to lie.
    Yep. It's super annoying but unfortunately it's part of the circus rubbish we have to put up with until EoN feel ready to make their own confirmations.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Within the article, I see the Idris Elba suggestion is still floating... An excuse to shake one's head...
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    If it's written by Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail then it is almost completely accurate. But this isn't. Otherwise your right about both.

On a side note, wasn't another Daily Mail columnist responsible for revealing to the public that Waltz would be playing Blofeld? They even mentioned Franz Oberhauser at one point.
    Well we will see what happens like I said I am hoping Craig does return but we will know more soon enough my guess is by March we will know who is writing the film.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Nothing in SP had any impact on Bond. And it was much more than a throwaway line, and it was not directed at Bond, but at the audience, that´s what makes it so problematic.

tanaka123 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Hmm ... as much as I want this to be true, weren't both DC and Sam Mendes put off by Sony trying to do Spectre and Bond 25 as back-to-back films? DC expressed quite graphically how much he wanted to just get back to his family and other projects after the length of making one Bond, I can't see him wanting to make 2 back to back. If this is true I fear it may drive DC away.
    This, except I don´t want it to be true. The whole idea doesn´t make sense at all.

Good points, expecially the last one!

• I really don’t doubt the validity of the report. It’s been over two months since the release of the film, the critics have spoken (a decidedly mixed response – with the UK embracing the film and the US rejecting it) and the box office receipts collected (a huge success but no Skyfall), it would make sense that the producers have turned their attention to Bond 25.

EON’s business is Bond. Even when they say ‘work hasn’t begun’ it’s clear they are lying. Bond is a billion dollar corporation – the machine does not sleep. I’d imagine they have gone out to Craig and offered him a two picture deal and it’s down to him to finalise the details. I really doubt he’ll be in Bond 26, but I think he’ll be enticed for one final turn on the basis that it is his “final” film. It makes sense for EON to be a little more bullish and offer him two movies.

I imagine the reason EON are courting Craig this early on is down to the impending new distribution deal. I would think more studios would be enticed at the prospect of getting their hands on the Bond franchise if Craig is already attached to the picture. Already they have a picture in hand that will certainly make over $600m if not more if the film is marketed proper (and is actually good). Otherwise there is the fear of having

The only thing I find doubtful is the back-to-back shooting schedule. Bond films take six months to shoot and around a year to prep – and even then the quality varies massively. EON have a hard enough time making one good film, the thought of them overburdening themselves and making two consecutive films sounds pretty dreadful to me. I’d rather they concentrated their efforts on making Bond 25 as good as possible.

It’s interesting that smaller pieces of news are beginning to filter out (Waltz and Craig’s possible returns), is it possible that a Nov 2017 release is being eyed? Or is this the tabloids just being a nuisance?
    jake24 wrote: »
    If it's written by Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail then it is almost completely accurate. But this isn't. Otherwise your right about both.

On a side note, wasn't another Daily Mail columnist responsible for revealing to the public that Waltz would be playing Blofeld? They even mentioned Franz Oberhauser at one point.

I know Bamigboye is a reliable source and didn't he give a lot of info last time? Monica Bellucci, Christoph Waltz, etc. I don't know of anybody else in these two newspapers. When Waltz was rumored to be cast I remember a lot of people (myself included) thinking he might play Blofeld. Although at the time it was still wishful thinking.
    jake24 wrote: »

I know Bamigboye is a reliable source and didn't he give a lot of info last time? Monica Bellucci, Christoph Waltz, etc. I don't know of anybody else in these two newspapers. When Waltz was rumored to be cast I remember a lot of people (myself included) thinking he might play Blofeld. Although at the time it was still wishful thinking.
    Baz Bamigboye reported on those topics, in addition to the death of M during Skyfall's production. For some reason however, he has stopped writing about anything Bond related in his column.

Regarding Blofeld, there was an actual article written by someone from the Daily Mail a day before the announcement that told us Christoph Waltz's character would be introduced as Franz Oberhauser, but would actually be playing Blofeld.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Back in 2013, the Sun reported that Bond 24 would be titled Devil May Care.