No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Thanks for the kind words my friend. Like I said before, I'm always around, and as soon as I hear something, I'll post here.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps this is the June announcement?
    Perhaps this is the June announcement?

June announcement was probably Fox re-negotiating its deal for distributing the Bond film catalog for home release until 2020.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/mgm-renew-20th-century-fox-deal-until-2020?t=&s=&id=04105
    I see. Thanks.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 5,767
    peter wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Nicolas Winding Refn talks his desire to make a Bond film. Talks of meeting with Broccoli and Craig for 'Spectre'.

nicolas-winding-refn-the-neon-demon-1000x520.jpg
    http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-suggest-barbarella-show-not-happening-admits-meetings-bond-wonder-woman-20160627/

From about 30mins in.

Refn has a terrific knowledge of Bond. I was quite surprised. If the producers wanted to escape from the constant chasing of '60's nostalgia than Refn's the guy. He's the king of counter-culture and would be a radical choice.

If that sounds a bit scary to the Bond purists out there, then listen to the interview! This guy understands Bond and the franchise's history. He wouldn't be some esoteric European filmmaker trying to deconstruct anything (a la Marc Forster).

Refn's a highly stylised filmmaker who clearly loves provoking his audiences. Personally, I find his films moody, atmospheric and engrossing. Although he can be very indulgent, often to the point where his films lack coherence.

Should we begin the campaign for Refn to handle Bond 25?
    peter wrote: »
    Nicolas Winding Refn talks his desire to make a Bond film. Talks of meeting with Broccoli and Craig for 'Spectre'.

nicolas-winding-refn-the-neon-demon-1000x520.jpg
    http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-suggest-barbarella-show-not-happening-admits-meetings-bond-wonder-woman-20160627/

From about 30mins in.

Refn has a terrific knowledge of Bond. I was quite surprised. If the producers wanted to escape from the constant chasing of '60's nostalgia than Refn's the guy. He's the king of counter-culture and would be a radical choice.

If that sounds a bit scary to the Bond purists out there, then listen to the interview! This guy understands Bond and the franchise's history. He wouldn't be some esoteric European filmmaker trying to deconstruct anything (a la Marc Forster).

Refn's a highly stylised filmmaker who clearly loves provoking his audiences. Personally, I find his films moody, atmospheric and engrossing. Although he can be very indulgent, often to the point where his films lack coherence.

Should we begin the campaign for Refn to handle Bond 25?

EoN needs to get back on track. Although I find, like you, Refn's films to be a joy to the eyes, he is indulgent. I wonder if he'd blow a $150-200 budget on his "vision" or; would he be turned off if Babs insisted on babysitting him, having learned by her experience with an art-house director in Forster.

I'm not sure if Refn's the guy, but the idea of getting an edgier director would be appreciated. I'm a fan of having Denis Villeneuve take the helm.

I'm certainly in the camp of, we don't need to change the Bond actor, you just need to challenge the actor with something unique. Villeneuve would bring that to the table. He seems to get top performances from his actors, and he certainly knows how to build tension through imagery.
    I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did, and Mendes would be a fraction of Refn. Babs and Michael have made a point of it that they are not willing to or not able to lead a director, so I wouldn´t even want to start imagining how a Bond film by Refn would turn out.

@Boldfinger: I have conflicting feelings about Forster. I certainly like the idea of thinking-outside-of-the-box to get a director, and I have warmed to QoS. However, I feel that Forster, although having some nice visuals, didn't quite understand what it meant to make a great Bond film.

It sometimes felt that he made choices that were "different" for the sake of it being different. It wasn't organic in its development. And it felt like he just handed over the action sequences to his second unit people (who I believe were led by a Bourne alumni).

But the idea of a dramatic director, if appropriate to the Bond character, his legacy and the script at hand, is a wonderful idea.

The difference, for me, between Forster and Villeneuve is that the latter has delivered tension-rich films before, while Forster didn't (except in moments in MONSTER'S BALL).
    I agree about Villeneuve´s portfolio, although I don´t see any qualification for Bond over Forster, they are both massively different from what used to make a Bond film.

In any case I find it strange to mention only Forster, who in comparison to Mendes made a highly traditional Bond film.

Handing over the action sequences to second or third units is standart pocedure on big action productions. That QoS´ second unit was led by Bourne alumni was allegedly intentional, and it´s not as if they copy-pasted bluntly from Bourne. The editing, while superficially very reminiscent of Bourne, was radically different in the details, being actually closer to TB´s action editing. There were other elements that looked and felt much more lifted from Bourne, like Bond staring into the mirror in CR, or Bond walking along the beach in SF.

//I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did

While Forster didn't deconstruct, he obsessed over his "elements" them (fire-water-air-earth, whatever it was) as the expense of story. There are some striking images (such as during the horse race shortly after the main titles.
    While some striking images at the beginning of the horse race make no sense in the context of the story, the theme of landscapes reflecting the inner frame of a character was used to at least the same degree by Mendes. I prefer what Forster did in both cases. When Forster provided striking images that had nothing to do with storytelling, at least those images were great to look at. And the landscapes as mirrors offered a pallette of emotions in QoS that resulted in an upward thrust, while in SF and SP there is less emotional variety and they are mostly resulting in a downward pull.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Steven Knight would be a great choice IMHO. Locke, Peaky Blinders, Eastern Promises, all good stuff (and frequent collaborator with Tom Hardy...hmm!) The directors, less so. Wright and McGuigan are Brits who both had recent Hollywood flops so right now they both feel kind of second-tier. Demange (a Frenchman) is a real out-there pick, but his IRA thriller "71" was great and I can see why (again, if any of this is true) it might interest EON.
    McGuigan´s name was to be expected at some point, because he directed about two thirds of the first two seasons of Sherlock. But, as you correctly point out, @dinovelvet, he also flopped big time in Hollywood (Lucky Number Slevin comes to mind).

• edited June 2016 Posts: 5,767

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Steven Knight - tick!

Demange - most interesting choice out of all of them, loved 71 - but perhaps this was a bit too bleak for Bond and he's only directed this one feature. I guess he has range - he also directed episodes of Secret Diary of a Call Girl! :-O
  • RC7RC7
    Hard to know whether this is just conjecture (likely), but interesting. I used to know Steven when he worked at Celador. Nice bloke and a great writer, he would no doubt make a great job of it.

I've been canvassing for Demange for years.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saw it on Reddit today:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4q4kso/preproduction_work_has_begun_on_bond_25/

Pre-Production Work Has Begun On "Bond 25"

Currently the word around London is:

- Pre-production work has officially begun.
    - Sony will distribute.
    - Steven Knight is writing the screenplay.
    - No decision made by Daniel Craig yet.
    - Directors Joe Wright, Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan have met with Broccoli over the last month. No decision yet.

Thanks for the info @marketto007 and as others have said, it's always good to see you on the boards mate.
    Great news. However, Reddit is shockingly hit or miss.

I like the sound of Steven Knight, his first feature 'Dirty Pretty Things' is fantastic. 'Peaky Blinders' has such style and class - Knight has a really good working relationship with Tom Hardy (They did a film called 'Locke' and a new show called 'Taboo') - maybe they're courting him for Bond......?

Locke_poster.jpg

I wouldn't even mind if news came out that Knight was directing.

In regards to the directors. McGuigan is a boring choice.

Wright would be terrific and in the past he's said he wants to do Bond.

I'd pick Demange outta the lot. He made a great UK series set in Dalston called "Top Boy". It's not the sorta thing you'd assoicate with Bond but maybe he's exactly what the series needs. He's a stylish dude as well.

71+Premiere+2014+Toronto+International+Film+GhNChN50QlXl.jpg

A few points

1. If Knights friend Hardy is being courted for the role of 007 it would be similar to what Mendes said a few weeks ago as Hardy has NOT been mentioned int the tabloids from what I have seen. And Hardy is in my top 3 choices to take over the role so I wouldn't mind honestly (ok maybe a tad disappointed Fassbender didn't get the role but honestly he has 1 possibky two franchises so he isn't hurting for work)

2. I almost want to believe The Knight story is true as well this doesn't sound like the usual made up garbage that gets tossed around on the internet but I am also skeptical we shall see

3. The directors discussion worries me slightly I would prefer Refn over the likes of wright based on what has been said about him... Of course if we are going with directors whose works I have seen then I still would prefer Pierre Morrel (a pipe dream I fear but still) I at least heard of Hanna and I saw the trailer so joe wright I would be ok with.
    A note on Sony, for what it may be worth...

I work as a project manager in New York for a corporate relocation company. This past February, we moved Sony's NY headquarters within Manhattan. I spent several weeks at Sony and got to speak to alot of people at Sony Pictures. There were SPECTRE posters all over the office space, and as such I had more than a few casual conversations with several Sony Pictures people about Bond. Not higher ups, just regular people, middle managers, secretaries, etc. To a person, they all expressed that Sony was desperate to keep Bond. The assumption I made was that even though the Sony deal with MGM was not very favorable to Sony, it was still profitable and they feared losing Bond. So it could be that they are more than amenable to keeping a similar deal as the previous one, which would probably be a better deal than any of the other studios would offer MGM.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Regarding the Reddit post, the author has now posted this:

The British film community is surprisingly small in London. This was the 'news' I was hearing over the last week. EON had been more involved in distributing the long delayed 'The Silent Storm' and making 'Film Stars'. Pre-production for B25 has just begun in earnest.

I've heard plenty of other directors mentioned (all with varying degrees of credibility), but those three come up the most often. The other film often being discussed around Soho VFX houses is 'Rogue One' which is said to be in more turmoil than imaginable. People love to gossip.
    Well considering the great ideas Sony has for summer 2016 (yeah good job with the ghostbusters reboot you have managed to piss off a lot of fans fantastic) my guess would be hey would do anything to keep bond.

Regarding the Reddit post, the author has now posted this:

The British film community is surprisingly small in London. This was the 'news' I was hearing over the last week. EON had been more involved in distributing the long delayed 'The Silent Storm' and making 'Film Stars'. Pre-production for B25 has just begun in earnest.

I've heard plenty of other directors mentioned (all with varying degrees of credibility), but those three come up the most often. The other film often being discussed around Soho VFX houses is 'Rogue One' which is said to be in more turmoil than imaginable. People love to gossip.

Stuart Baird has been brought on to re-cut Rogue One. The studios send him in when a film is really in trouble.

Hmm so do we all believe it? Should we change the title and discuss Knight writing bond 25 on the one hand it is a new writer so it should make many here smile as he is not Purvis Wade or Haggis
    I feel Eon will make an announcement sometime soon.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hmm so do we all believe it? Should we change the title and discuss Knight writing bond 25 on the one hand it is a new writer so it should make many here smile as he is not Purvis Wade or Haggis

We need fresh writing. Honestly thought it would be Purvis, Wade and Butterworth - still may well be.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

We need fresh writing. Honestly thought it would be Purvis, Wade and Butterworth - still may well be.

I still have that fear that it could be P&W but P&W themselves have already said they are out of ideas and time to move on so I'm not surprised if not P&W.

No complaints really against Butterworth.
    I feel Eon will make an announcement sometime soon.
    If I remeber correctly our first bit of skyfall news came in July 2009 with Neal Purvis Robert Wade and Peter Morgan announced to write the script so we should be in that same time frame now...

My guess is we will get the writers sometime next month and then distrubter will be announced in the fall and director/release date/ possibly main actor (either Craig coming back or a new actor tacking on the role) announced in the spring
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Purvis and Wade only returned for Spectre because the production was in need of an emergency rewrite, so referring to them as a last resort rather than going through a whole new hiring process for different writers was the easier choice. Guaranteed they won't come back for B25.
    I hope so!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I think so. We don't know much (if anything) admittedly, but all rumours seem to suggest a creative shake up for the next one.
    I won't believe we've seen the last of P&W until the film is actually released and they're not credited in the title sequence as having written it.

EON will probably panic when the new writers turn in a draft that doesn't heavily feature Bond/M trust issues, traitors, sibling rivalries, familial issues, and links to Bond's past and will then bring P&W in for an emergency rewrite to add all of those things back in.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    dalton wrote: »
    EON will probably panic when the new writers turn in a draft that doesn't heavily feature Bond/M trust issues, traitors, sibling rivalries, familial issues, and links to Bond's past and will then bring P&W in for an emergency rewrite to add all of those things back in.

:'( I really, really, really hope not...
    dalton wrote: »
    I won't believe we've seen the last of P&W until the film is actually released and they're not credited in the title sequence as having written it.

=))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Vxg7TU0QOk3VC.gif
    jake24 wrote: »
    Vxg7TU0QOk3VC.gif
    He's feeling itchy down there...

The P&W effect. =))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Purvis and Wade only returned for Spectre because the production was in need of an emergency rewrite, so referring to them as a last resort rather than going through a whole new hiring process for different writers was the easier choice. Guaranteed they won't come back for B25.

Yea but if I'm already spending 300 million dollars I think I would shop around especially since there are writers knocking at the door.

Take Horowitz for example
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Yea but if I'm already spending 300 million dollars I think I would shop around especially since there are writers knocking at the door.

Take Horowitz for example
    They simply had no time to waste. It was only a couple of months before principal photography began.