No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited June 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Nicolas Winding Refn talks his desire to make a Bond film. Talks of meeting with Broccoli and Craig for 'Spectre'.

nicolas-winding-refn-the-neon-demon-1000x520.jpg
    http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-suggest-barbarella-show-not-happening-admits-meetings-bond-wonder-woman-20160627/

From about 30mins in.

Refn has a terrific knowledge of Bond. I was quite surprised. If the producers wanted to escape from the constant chasing of '60's nostalgia than Refn's the guy. He's the king of counter-culture and would be a radical choice.

If that sounds a bit scary to the Bond purists out there, then listen to the interview! This guy understands Bond and the franchise's history. He wouldn't be some esoteric European filmmaker trying to deconstruct anything (a la Marc Forster).

Refn's a highly stylised filmmaker who clearly loves provoking his audiences. Personally, I find his films moody, atmospheric and engrossing. Although he can be very indulgent, often to the point where his films lack coherence.

Should we begin the campaign for Refn to handle Bond 25?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Nicolas Winding Refn talks his desire to make a Bond film. Talks of meeting with Broccoli and Craig for 'Spectre'.

http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-suggest-barbarella-show-not-happening-admits-meetings-bond-wonder-woman-20160627/

From about 30mins in.

Refn has a terrific knowledge of Bond. I was quite surprised. If the producers wanted to escape from the constant chasing of '60's nostalgia than Refn's the guy. He's the king of counter-culture and would be a radical choice.

If that sounds a bit scary to the Bond purists out there, then listen to the interview! This guy understands Bond and the franchise's history. He wouldn't be some esoteric European filmmaker trying to deconstruct anything (a la Marc Forster).

Refn's a highly stylised filmmaker who clearly loves provoking his audiences. Personally, I find his films moody, atmospheric and engrossing. Although he can be very indulgent, often to the point where his films lack coherence.

EoN needs to get back on track. Although I find, like you, Refn's films to be a joy to the eyes, he is indulgent. I wonder if he'd blow a $150-200 budget on his "vision" or; would he be turned off if Babs insisted on babysitting him, having learned by her experience with an art-house director in Forster.

I'm not sure if Refn's the guy, but the idea of getting an edgier director would be appreciated. I'm a fan of having Denis Villeneuve take the helm.

I'm certainly in the camp of, we don't need to change the Bond actor, you just need to challenge the actor with something unique. Villeneuve would bring that to the table. He seems to get top performances from his actors, and he certainly knows how to build tension through imagery.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Villeneuve is ideal, but he's busy with 2 or 3 films over the next two years, I highly doubt he'd be able to fit Bond 25 into his schedule.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And Bond 26 will show him d
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    James Bond 007
    in Brexit In The Morning
    in Brexit For Dinner
    in For Queen And Union
    in Fear And Loathing In Britain
    in Leave Of Balance
    in The Brexit Referendum
    in Article 50

You know, the last two are rather catchy.

Hillarious!!! Utter and sheer brilliance... :)) =))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Refn would be a fascinating choice. If Dan does come back, I'd love for the tone of Bond 25 to be eerie and dancing on the knife edge, adapting YOLT with the garden of death and all the rest. Imagine this kind of visual filmmaking in a movie like that, as Bond is put through the ringer:
    91cebd5915dfc7aeb2cdbc4a28e53858.jpg
    The visuals would evoke an almost otherworldly experience, like Bond is no longer on plant earth and instead in his own personal hell.

Hiring Refn would also continue the tradition in the Craig era of selecting extremely talented people who can create stunning and provocative images, right up there with Deakins and Hoyte.

From about 30mins in.

peter wrote: »

From about 30mins in.

EoN needs to get back on track. Although I find, like you, Refn's films to be a joy to the eyes, he is indulgent. I wonder if he'd blow a $150-200 budget on his "vision" or; would he be turned off if Babs insisted on babysitting him, having learned by her experience with an art-house director in Forster.

I'm not sure if Refn's the guy, but the idea of getting an edgier director would be appreciated. I'm a fan of having Denis Villeneuve take the helm.

I'm certainly in the camp of, we don't need to change the Bond actor, you just need to challenge the actor with something unique. Villeneuve would bring that to the table. He seems to get top performances from his actors, and he certainly knows how to build tension through imagery.
    I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did, and Mendes would be a fraction of Refn. Babs and Michael have made a point of it that they are not willing to or not able to lead a director, so I wouldn´t even want to start imagining how a Bond film by Refn would turn out.

• peterpeter Toronto
    boldfinger wrote: »

From about 30mins in.

peter wrote: »

From about 30mins in.

I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did, and Mendes would be a fraction of Refn. Babs and Michael have made a point of it that they are not willing to or not able to lead a director, so I wouldn´t even want to start imagining how a Bond film by Refn would turn out.

@Boldfinger: I have conflicting feelings about Forster. I certainly like the idea of thinking-outside-of-the-box to get a director, and I have warmed to QoS. However, I feel that Forster, although having some nice visuals, didn't quite understand what it meant to make a great Bond film.

It sometimes felt that he made choices that were "different" for the sake of it being different. It wasn't organic in its development. And it felt like he just handed over the action sequences to his second unit people (who I believe were led by a Bourne alumni).

But the idea of a dramatic director, if appropriate to the Bond character, his legacy and the script at hand, is a wonderful idea.

The difference, for me, between Forster and Villeneuve is that the latter has delivered tension-rich films before, while Forster didn't (except in moments in MONSTER'S BALL).
  • //I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did

While Forster didn't deconstruct, he obsessed over his "elements" them (fire-water-air-earth, whatever it was) as the expense of story. There are some striking images (such as during the horse race shortly after the main titles.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    //I guess I would watch a Refn Bond movie, but seriously, guys, don´t you feel silly dissing Forster and at the same time wanting Refn and Villeneuve? I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be rude, but Forster didn´t deconstruct a tenth of what Mendes did

While Forster didn't deconstruct, he obsessed over his "elements" them (fire-water-air-earth, whatever it was) as the expense of story. There are some striking images (such as during the horse race shortly after the main titles.

I agree.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wouldn't say QoS's elements that Forster was supposedly always focusing on really existed at the expense of the story. I mean, it's a pseudo-ecological plot with a villain heavily involved in that industry; we'd have seen all those elements anyway, as they are defining aspects of the green movement. I think the elements and the plot of the film, as well as the eco-focused plans of Greene all go together quite cohesively.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Say what you will, QoS is in my top 3.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2016 Posts: 3,157
    Quantum of Solace > Skyfall / SPECTRE
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Gosling (as 007, he's Canadian) + Refning = amazing Bond movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gosling (as 007, he's Canadian) + Refning = amazing Bond movie.

As a Canadian, and a proud one at that, first generation, please let me reply, with all due respect: Gosling looks great, tries too hard (just watch GANGSTER SQUAD; like Brozzy he's gotta "act" tough coz he isn't tough. And Canucks are tough. We are calloused. We have awesome snipers in the military, world renowned; we brave icy winters and camp outside, even during these months, and; hell, just look at our hockey players...)

Gosling? Love the look, can't stand his execution.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Lots of Canadians on these boards (I'm one myself). Gosling is a great actor, but Bond needs to remain English.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't see Gosling as Bond. Too smug when he tries to be cool. A Bond actor has to exude that special calm without it appearing intentional. It must flow naturally, and is not as easy to give off on screen as it appears.
    The following was posted on Reddit with no source given, from a first time poster. So take with a grain of salt. Could be everything...or nothing. Just as believable as anything that gets posted in here from the Daily Mail, anyway.

Currently the word around London is:

Pre-production work has officially begun.

Sony will distribute.

Steven Knight is writing the screenplay.

No decision made by Daniel Craig yet.

Directors Joe Wright, Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan have met with Broccoli over the last month. No decision yet.
    ---

• peterpeter Toronto
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't see Gosling as Bond. Too smug when he tries to be cool. A Bond actor has to exude that special calm without it appearing intentional. It must flow naturally, and is not as easy to give off on screen as it appears.

This...
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I don't feel a Refn Bond would work. It would of course be visually striking - but I find his style a bit too ambient and subversive just for the sake of it. He wouldn't be allowed to indulge his "violence" outbursts either - which would all but mute his style. For all of its visual splendor (and also the wonderful Mads Mikkelsen) - Valhalla Rising pretty-much had me snoozing through it. As for Gosling - perhaps he might make an interesting henchman - but for Bond - also a "no" from me!
    A Refn-directed Bond would be horrible. When it comes to the usual suspects that get thrown around as "ideal" directorial choices among fan circles, I can't think of a more overrated choice. We just got done with the style-over-substance era of Bond films, with the last two delivering far more of the former than the latter (even if Skyfall rose above that to be a good film), and Refn would only take that to the next level rather than bringing the franchise back in the other direction.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    The following was posted on Reddit with no source given, from a first time poster. So take with a grain of salt. Could be everything...or nothing. Just as believable as anything that gets posted in here from the Daily Mail, anyway.

Pre-production work has officially begun.

Sony will distribute.

Steven Knight is writing the screenplay.

No decision made by Daniel Craig yet.

Directors Joe Wright, Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan have met with Broccoli over the last month. No decision yet.
    ---

If (key word being if) this is all surprising and genuinely interesting. I don't know how I feel but I honestly wouldn't complain with any of these choices would love it if it's true just so we can get some bond news. Anyone have any thoughts on Steven knight or the directors mentioned
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Haven't heard of Steven Knight, but apparently he's done Peaky Blinders, which I hear nothing but good things about. A writer that can do interesting gang related fare could make a hell of a SPECTRE story, just as Matthew Weiner could, I'm sure.

Don't know how likely the Sony distribution rumor is, though. They got a sour deal for so long, would they really get into it again? Maybe EON and MGM gave them more benefits this time around, but I just don't see it.

It'd just be nice to get some solid, confirmed news that we could at least relax with, whether it be the distributor being selected, or my hope, that Dan is signed on for another. Either would give us the confirmation that things are moving behind the scenes in a big way, and that Bond 25 is nearer rather than farther away, as distribution and lead actor selections are the two biggest obstacles in the road.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 709
    Steven Knight would be a great choice IMHO. Locke, Peaky Blinders, Eastern Promises, all good stuff (and frequent collaborator with Tom Hardy...hmm!) The directors, less so. Wright and McGuigan are Brits who both had recent Hollywood flops so right now they both feel kind of second-tier. Demange (a Frenchman) is a real out-there pick, but his IRA thriller "71" was great and I can see why (again, if any of this is true) it might interest EON.
    I don't know if this has been posted already on here or not, but I just happened across the news on Deadline that MGM and FOX have renewed their home entertainment deal.

MGM & 20th Century Fox Renew Home Entertainment Deal through 2020

Not the distributorship we've been hoping to hear about, but at least shows that something's happening over at MGM.
    I know Steven Knight as creator and writer of Peaky Blinders, which is a great series, and writer and director of one of the most unusual and fascinating movies of the past few years that I've seen, Locke. Also as writer of a cliched and crappy movie called The Hundred Foot Journey, but hey, nobody's perfect... Anyway, I immediately smiled when I saw his name mentioned here...
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited June 2016 Posts: 3,277
    Saw it on Reddit today:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4q4kso/preproduction_work_has_begun_on_bond_25/

Pre-Production Work Has Begun On "Bond 25"

- Pre-production work has officially begun.
    - Sony will distribute.
    - Steven Knight is writing the screenplay.
    - No decision made by Daniel Craig yet.
    - Directors Joe Wright, Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan have met with Broccoli over the last month. No decision yet.
    Saw it on Reddit today:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4q4kso/preproduction_work_has_begun_on_bond_25/

Pre-Production Work Has Begun On "Bond 25"

- Pre-production work has officially begun.
    - Sony will distribute.
    - Steven Knight is writing the screenplay.
    - No decision made by Daniel Craig yet.
    - Directors Joe Wright, Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan have met with Broccoli over the last month. No decision yet.

@marketto007, have you heard anything of interest in your Bond circles? You may not have anything, but I thought I'd check in, as you're the only one of us that would actually have a chance of hearing things, even if they're only whispers.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited June 2016 Posts: 3,277
    @marketto007, have you heard anything of interest in your Bond circles? You may not have anything, but I thought I'd check in, as you're the only one of us that would actually have a chance of hearing things, even if they're only whispers.

Nothing yet. :(

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    :-?

Nothing yet. :(

@marketto007, the mystery is very palpable over Bond 25 at the moment, but I'm sure it'll clear up soon enough. You'll have to update us if you ever hear anything. It's nice to see you around posting again as well, my friend. Your forum presence has been missed. :)>-