No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Meanwhile on reddit:

Instead of Making James Bond female, why not make a movie that follows M in her early days?

Not the worst idea in the world, if done right.
    As in Olivia Mansfield?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Meanwhile on reddit:

Instead of Making James Bond female, why not make a movie that follows M in her early days?

Not the worst idea in the world, if done right.
    As in Olivia Mansfield?

It says her early days, so presumably. Unless she went by other code names during her career. Whatever path it took.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If I recall correctly, Peter Morgan's original draft for SF involved flashbacks of M's early days which would have involved casting a seperate actress. I think Carey Mulligan could play a decent young M.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I know we don't know that much about Ralph Fiennes M, but even his earlier career in the military would be something interesting to explore. Though, I'd much rather a film about Dench's M.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would have been cool to see a flashback with M bonding with Silva and then being forced to leaving him behind in the spy swap, but that ship has sailed. It would have been interesting to see how her relationship with Silva in those days compared and contrasted with her dynamic with Bond in the current day to further develop the doppelgänger idea between them.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    It would have been cool to see a flashback with M bonding with Silva and then being forced to leaving him behind in the spy swap, but that ship has sailed. It would have been interesting to see how her relationship with Silva in those days compared and contrasted with her dynamic with Bond in the current day to further develop the doppelgänger idea between them.

Would be nice to see more Silva... always felt a bit short changed.

Probably would have to be recast and not a cinematic production. I like the 90s nice flashback.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Poor idea.

It would cease to be a Bond film and be an M and Silva film. And the film we got was almost that as it was.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Young "M"-even worse idea than Young Bond.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    "Young" M wouldn't have to be that connected to or even mention Bond. I wouldn't. In fact I wouldn't make it obvious to the audience at all. I admit the Silva idea although I like Silva would be hard to pull successfully though.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why would people want to watch this?

The Bond universe isn't X Men or The Avengers. Who wants to see an origin story of a middle aged woman who sits behind a desk? The excitement as she studies law at Oxford, the suspense as she negotiates the office politics at MI6 to become boss.

Or we could have a Q origin story. Studies physics and applied computing at Cambridge, takes a job at MI6, acquires two cats and a mortgage.

And then the multi billion dollar box office leviathan that smashes global box office records - Bill Begins.

Yawn at how Bill Tanner went through university and no one noticed him, snooze at how he worked his way up in MI6 to become chief of staff and no one noticed him, snore at how every time he's in a scene he sucks any atmosphere away like an open hatch on a space capsule.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Disney is the only operation that would even contemplate an extended universe setup like this, and I too wouldn't want them to go anywhere near this kind of idea. Let's get back to basics with the next one. Give us a good clean thriller featuring James Bond as the key protagonist. You can do it EON. It's been a while, but you can do it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

The Bond universe isn't X Men or The Avengers. Who wants to see an origin story of a middle aged woman who sits behind a desk? The excitement as she studies law at Oxford, the suspense as she negotiates the office politics at MI6 to become boss.

Or we could have a Q origin story. Studies physics and applied computing at Cambridge, takes a job at MI6, acquires two cats and a mortgage.

And then the multi billion dollar box office leviathan that smashes global box office records - Bill Begins.

Yawn at how Bill Tanner went through university and no one noticed him, snooze at how he worked his way up in MI6 to become chief of staff and no one noticed him, snore at how every time he's in a scene he sucks any atmosphere away like an open hatch on a space capsule.

Post of the month, @TheWizardOfIce, maybe the year. Good heavens, I'm crying over here! :))

Post of the month, @TheWizardOfIce, maybe the year. Good heavens, I'm crying over here! :))
    Better make that two!!! :))
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116

Better make that two!!! :))

Fiennes's M is the only that would possibly work... but no reference to Bond or Skyfall etc ...just military conflict. That's the M I meant.

Any other M would be boring as hell.

Tanner is boring now.

...it's not an idea I'm really advocating however.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I don't mind Kinnear as Tanner. He's a good actor having to work with what is probably 80% of expositional dialogue. I'd like it if they were to touch on a Tanner-Bond relationship more akin to that of the Brosnan era.
    Fiennes kind of did military leader conflict movie with Coriolanus, with him directing and John Logan scripting.
    At this point the only reason Tanner even exists in the Craig films is to show us through high contrast how much cooler Bond is in comparison to him. Tanner slips on a wet walkway, while Bond just marches on. When getting shot at, Tanner's first thought is to run for the hills, while Bond pinpoints the threat and engages until its termination is met. In SF, as M is in Silva's crosshairs, Tanner is beyond useless, and if it wasn't for Mallory's bravery (and Bond's defensive work), the old bird would've been dead right then and there. He's so incompetent it's shocking he's made it so far in the position he has. Maybe he knows a guy who knows a guy who is friend's with the PM? The mind boggles to explain it.
    At this point the only reason Tanner even exists in the Craig films is to show us through high contrast how much cooler Bond is in comparison to him. Tanner slips on a wet walkway, while Bond just marches on. When getting shot at, Tanner's first thought is to run for the hills, while Bond pinpoints the threat and engages until its termination is met. In SF, as M is in Silva's crosshairs, Tanner is beyond useless, and if it wasn't for Mallory's bravery (and Bond's defensive work), the old bird would've been dead right then and there. He's so incompetent it's shocking he's made it so far in the position he has. Maybe he knows a guy who knows a guy who is friend's with the PM? The mind boggles to explain it.
    That's where it has led to with the Sam Mendes films. I did like him in Quantum of Solace, where his behaviour was very much like a younger version of the Michael Kitchen Tanner. In Mendes' scripts, he was just ballsed up.
    Maybe it's better this way. In one of the drafts of SP, Tanner was a mole who ended up dying somehow, so maybe we lucked out with this slapstick version of the character as opposed to the random, evil one we may have received.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Maybe it's better this way. In one of the drafts of SP, Tanner was a mole who ended up dying somehow, so maybe we lucked out with this slapstick version of the character as opposed to the random, evil one we may have received.
    Yes, in John Logan's original script Tanner was an unwilling traitor who took his own life due to guilt, and Gareth Mallory/M was the real evil mastermind whose schemes were later given to the newly created Max Denbigh, aka C.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Wow, that's even worse! So all the Bond fans who were teasing about Voldemort being the new M when Skyfall came out wouldn't have been that far off! What a crock...

I wonder what Fiennes thought when he was presented with the idea. He was probably furious, chewed them up and spat them out.
    Oh definitely!
  • Wow, that's even worse! So all the Bond fans who were teasing about Voldemort being the new M when Skyfall came out wouldn't have been that far off! What a crock...

I wonder what Fiennes thought when he was presented with the idea. He was probably furious, chewed them up and spat them out.

According to the Sony hacks, Fiennes said he wouldn't do the movie if M was the traitor.
    Yes, in John Logan's original script Tanner was an unwilling traitor who took his own life due to guilt, and Gareth Mallory/M was the real evil mastermind whose schemes were later given to the newly created Max Denbigh, aka C.
    Christ.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    They're all terrible ideas, but in the end they do not sound much worse than what we got in the end.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Which is why I find all this media speculation about the new Bond actor particularly frustrating; EoN, for me, need to announce a new writer(s). The writing desperately needs to change, otherwise it's almost inconsequential who the lead actor is.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Walecs wrote: »
    They're all terrible ideas, but in the end they do not sound much worse than what we got in the end.

Come on, now. In comparison to the character assassinations in early SP drafts, the final film, with characters acting as they should, was brilliant. Acting like SP would've been better if M and Tanner were random sleeper agents for an opposing cause is a bit ridiculous, and I can see why it was altered.
    People do have biased opinions about Spectre. The whole third act (the London finale in particular) being wrongfully written just sucked people out of the film they are completely hating it. Sure, it's not the best Bond film there is, but I do immensely enjoy it whenever I put it on my Blu Ray player. It's the most enjoyable Craig Bond film for me, despite Quantum of Solace being my favourite as a spy thriller.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    People do have biased opinions about Spectre. The whole third act (the London finale in particular) being wrongfully written just sucked people out of the film they are completely hating it. Sure, it's not the best Bond film there is, but I do immensely enjoy it whenever I put it on my Blu Ray player. It's the most enjoyable Craig Bond film for me, despite Quantum of Solace being my favourite as a spy thriller.

Actually, my problem is with the "Bond and Blofeld knew each other as children" and the rushed ending.
    Walecs wrote: »

Actually, my problem is with the "Bond and Blofeld knew each other as children" and the rushed ending.
    I have a problem with the Oberhauser connection, too. And as for the rushed ending... Cited that above. :>