No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I expect Joseph Sikora to be added to the cast.
  • If they can't get Rami Malek... he does have a twin brother, you know.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    TripAces wrote: »
    I expect Joseph Sikora to be added to the cast.

What makes you say this?
  • Do you find it befitting for Bond 25 to have the gun barrel sequence AT THE END of the film instead of the beginning?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Do you find it befitting for Bond 25 to have the gun barrel sequence AT THE END of the film instead of the beginning?

That would make sense if they really wanted to hit the swan song note hard, but I don't need it to be frank. At the start of the film is good enough.
    Still hope gunbarrel is traditional, unless they found a way to really make it particularly amazing at the end.

I’m also not ruling out Blofeld just yet despite the rumors about the new villain. Maybe the new villain is Blofeld - just in an unexpected way.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Anything that undoes Blofeld as his his step brother would be good, but I imagine it tricky to do and make convincing.

The big concern should be the female MI6 Agent... I want Bond to be with a young protege like I want a hole in the head. Only if she dies quickly and he feels responsible or angry will I be okay with it. If it's a competent agent, then they are directly competing with MI... and even if you are one of the MI retractors on here, no one should be questioning how good Rebecca Ferguson is in those movies and it's a fool's errand to try and compete against her.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    The big concern should be the female MI6 Agent... I want Bond to be with a young protege like I want a hole in the head. Only if she dies quickly and he feels responsible or angry will I be okay with it. If it's a competent agent, then they are directly competing with MI... and even if you are one of the MI retractors on here, no one should be questioning how good Rebecca Ferguson is in those movies and it's a fool's errand to try and compete against her.
    Ilsa is one of the greats and Ferguson is brilliant in the role.

They could try for a different take though, because Bond did this first with TSWLM after all. Honestly I'm not sure how it would fit in with Craig Bond though.

If I have one concern it's that they haven't fully grasped what works and what evidently doesn't work with him. I hope they have.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    ‘Bond 25’: Lea Seydoux Returning to Franchise
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-lea-seydoux-1203084117/

Craig is currently shooting Rian Johnson’s thriller “Knives Out” and Fukunaga is still finishing the “Bond 25” script, but insiders say producers have already begun building out the film’s ensemble. Besides Seydoux, Eon is looking for two other actresses — one would play an MI6 agent that works with Bond and another a mystery women — as well as the Bond villain.

According to insiders, Rami Malek was being eyed for the villain role, but his schedule on the last season of “Mr. Robot,” which shoots from March through July, makes it unlikely that he will be able to take the gig, even if Eon offered him the part.

It’s happening AGAIN! It seems the Hodge script was not thrown out the window completely which is great news because it means it is now more likely than in was yesterday that the Boyle-Hodge Movie Gold Idea is still a part of Bond 25.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Anything that undoes Blofeld as his his step brother would be good, but I imagine it tricky to do and make convincing.

Again, the 'young protege' angle was purely the product of a troll. They could potentially go that route, but this 'female MI6 agent' is no indication of that. Nothing to get worked up over, IMO.
  • DoctorNo wrote: »

I think it will be different because Ilsa Faust was from the start a Catwoman figure, she can work with or against the hero, whereas an MI6 agent is more likely an Eve Moneypenny in Skyfall type of thing, except without being relegated to the desk.
  • So wait, I'm a bit confused by Variety's article. Is the "mystery woman" ALSO the Bond villain?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    bondjames wrote: »
    They could try for a different take though, because Bond did this first with TSWLM after all. Honestly I'm not sure how it would fit in with Craig Bond though.

If I have one concern it's that they haven't fully grasped what works and what evidently doesn't work with him. I hope they have.

Yeah, it would have to be a very different take. My concern is not to ever have a female MI6 agent with him, but the timing of it right after MI and Ferguson making such a splash. Why invite more comparison than you're already going to get, get knocked for being seen as copying them and then try and find someone as good as her.

Totally agree that they haven't grasped what works with Craig. He was best as blunt instrument CR and never should have left that space, only refined some of the edges
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    So wait, I'm a bit confused by Variety's article. Is the "mystery woman" ALSO the Bond villain?
    That confused me initially. They meant they're casting a mystery woman, as well as a seperate actor for the villain role.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Linus Sandgren onboard: "IndieWire confirmed the hiring with Sandgren himself."

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/bond-25-cary-fukunaga-recruits-damien-chazelles-oscar-winning-cinematographer-1202025999/
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just sent this to a fellow member-- my two cents on Madeleine's return and why it's not necessarily a large part at all:

"My jaw dropped when I read Lea was back in... Who knows, perhaps Bond is living with her in some remote part of the world (Norway?), when for some reason he's called back to duty again.

Perhaps Lea is the one who tells him to go-- because he has to, one more time, for Queen and Country?

And after one helluva ride where 007 almost doesn't escape the events of the film, he's victorious and returns into the arms of the waiting madeleine? She gets a few scenes at the beginning, and one at the end. Perhaps she even thinks he's dead? Maybe everyone does. And then he surprises her with his return?

I believe it will be a small role, since they still hafta make room for the Mi6 agent and the female lead (villain?)...

I don't know. After some thought, though, this won't be Sp2, just coz Maddy's back in the picture.
    jake24 wrote: »
    So wait, I'm a bit confused by Variety's article. Is the "mystery woman" ALSO the Bond villain?
    That confused me initially. They meant they're casting a mystery woman, as well as a seperate actor for the villain role.

A villain and his henchwoman?

Don't think anyone was implying that, but could very well be the case.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Thanks. Great news.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,293

Don't think anyone was implying that, but could very well be the case.

I was just making a wild guess. A "mystery woman" makes me thing along those lines.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    What does it matter if characters return or not? CF is likely to make a film as different from what Mendes did as Mendes' films were different from one another and from what was before.
    Yes, this is what Im hoping for.
    What do you mean hoping for? It is obvious as the bright day that Mendes brought a lot of his personal style to his films. CF is likely to do the same with his own style, but for sure he is very different from Mendes. Regardless of good or bad, it´s out of the Question that B25 is going to be a different Kind of film than SP.

Ok then, I am certain of it. I've got all the confidence in it. It's as certain as daybreak in a few hours.

Better? ;) Seriously now, I was a big fan of Sam Mendes and I'm a big fan of Fukunaga. Maybe a bigger fan of Fukunaga, actually, and I've been very vocal about it. The guy has brains and an eye like no other, so I'm certain this film will stand out in the entire series. I'm not worried about Seydoux returning, and I'm not worried about the Mi:6 crew coming back. But only because I trust this man's superior vision of what cinema should be about. He can, obviously disappoint (like Mendes did - although not as much as many think), like anyone can, but I'm not the kind of person to dwell on miserable fears for a year or so until the only happiness I can have is confirming my own fowl expectations. I rather remain positive, and that's why I hope for. I really do. Always did.
    Anyone else thinks Variety screwed up the article? They went for old rumours and mashed them with the recent news. That's all. The Mi:6 female agent, the female villain, the middle eastern villain, ...those are just old rumours they used to beef up the article. At least I hope so. I hate these Mi:6 colleagues angles. Always did. The only time that worked was with 006, and we all know how that turned out. Now a female agent? Bah. Pish posh. Leave that to The Rhythm Section.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    PLEASE MAKE THE UAE A LOCATION FOR BOND 25.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    I just sent this to a fellow member-- my two cents on Madeleine's return and why it's not necessarily a large part at all:

"My jaw dropped when I read Lea was back in... Who knows, perhaps Bond is living with her in some remote part of the world (Norway?), when for some reason he's called back to duty again.

Perhaps Lea is the one who tells him to go-- because he has to, one more time, for Queen and Country?

And after one helluva ride where 007 almost doesn't escape the events of the film, he's victorious and returns into the arms of the waiting madeleine? She gets a few scenes at the beginning, and one at the end. Perhaps she even thinks he's dead? Maybe everyone does. And then he surprises her with his return?

So would Bond remain faithful; or does using sex as a tool, so to speak, to gather intel not count?
    This is a touchy subject; it’s one thing for Bond to bed the ladies when he’s unattached, but if he’s got one waiting for his return it may not be as readily accepted by a portion of the audience.

DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I don't think they can top MI:GP's use of that location.

Better to try somewhere else imho, like Singapore. Just as flashy and with loads of culture too.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677

Better to try somewhere else imho, like Singapore. Just as flashy and with loads of culture too.

Singapore would be nice.

How I wish they would do YOLT properly, with the island, similar to Okinawa and Shuri Castle. And with Bond training to swim a long distance undetected. And the encounter with the deadly barracudas... I really miss that sense of adventure and exoticism.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 3,000
    So long as this doesn’t turn out to be SP part 2 then I’m fine. If it isn’t SP pt2 then I’m very curious how they’ll use Swann. Definitely happy to be getting solid news.
    Mathis returned for QOS, Vesper returned for QOS and SP in some way or another, and they were not part 2s of anything.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

So would Bond remain faithful; or does using sex as a tool, so to speak, to gather intel not count?
    This is a touchy subject; it’s one thing for Bond to bed the ladies when he’s unattached, but if he’s got one waiting for his return it may not be as readily accepted by a portion of the audience.

In this hypothetical situation-- Bond would brush off the advances of the opposite sex. But, it'll come from the female villain, so won't be seen as being prudish.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

Singapore would be nice.

How I wish they would do YOLT properly, with the island, similar to Okinawa and Shuri Castle. And with Bond training to swim a long distance undetected. And the encounter with the deadly barracudas... I really miss that sense of adventure and exoticism.
    Yes, me too. It's a hallmark of the best Bond films. They really have to slow it down and immerse in one location again, so we get to feel the culture and experience it vicariously.
    Mathis returned for QOS, Vesper returned for QOS and SP in some way or another, and they were not part 2s of anything.
    It's a good point. The film is likely to have a very different feel from SP, although I still have some doubts about Swan, because she was so integral to that earlier film. If one disliked it (as I did), then there are significant risks with reminding us of it, even if momentarily.