No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That 4 year gap between QoS and SF was really unfortunate and took away a film we could have gotten in that time. I agree with @Brady on that there's more than enough for Craig to do with the role. A whole lot more; but that can only be realised if the right talent is involved. If Craig stays or we get a new actor, the need for great story telling is paramount. I don't think we can get what the series really needs to move forward unless the behind the camera creative team gets a massive overhaul and EoN envision a premise that focuses on introducing engaging character, plot and a genuine dynamic directing style. I love Campbell but it's a bit sad to see a number of people championing his return. There are much better directors out there and its EoN job to find that person. Clinging on to the past to some degree is what's hurting this film series. Get new talented people, focus less on Oscar-chasing and more on telling a cracking good action thriller.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well said, @doubleoego.
    Indeed, well said, @doubleoego.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I would welcome Campbell but I don't see it happening.

To clarify I like Mendes but he's given Bond all he has plus I don't alway agree with his take on Bond.

Logan no never no ...no NO!! P&W? also no no NEVER!!!! No!!

Btw the Craig quit story is viral now. So if not true someone better say something soon.

Go onto reputable film site's like DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, VARIETY, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, hell, even COLLIDER... these publications stake their names on "insider info" and getting real stories out to the public first.

Not a whisper of DC walking away from a $100 million offer. Not a whisper.
    From a scriptwriters perspective, (and a fans) surely a new Bond makes things so much easier, just dump the past and start afresh with a good old fashioned Bond script with no issues with relatives, family or love life. or have I missed something?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The story is now all over the world, the biggest newspaper in Germanys and Switzerland both "confirmed" Craig's turning down of the insane amount of money and quit the role.

For the media here it is a done deal. Craig is gone.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Are things that boring over there, @BondJasonBond006? Good heavens.
    Are things that boring over there, @BondJasonBond006? Good heavens.

Well, yes.

Merkeland is a cosy comfort zone where people have stopped to think since years and let Aunt Angela decided their lives.

As for the Swiss... we don't have real problems, that's for sure.
    The man himself is keeping Rachel company while shooting her new film

General Manager Tony Guiana was delighted to welcome #DanielCraig & #RachelWeisz to Pelham House this week for a stopover in #lewes ...

A dedicated husband. I'm quite happy for them, really. Especially when in modern-day Hollywood, marriages don't seem to last long.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps Daniel has his priorities right ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The story is now all over the world, the biggest newspaper in Germanys and Switzerland both "confirmed" Craig's turning down of the insane amount of money and quit the role.

The biggest trade-- that's film trade-- publications, like DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, HR, VARIETY, none of them are even commenting.

It's dinky newspapers picking up and filling the pages with print.

But the trades still have yet to report the rumor (let alone any official statement).
    peter wrote: »

The biggest trade-- that's film trade-- publications, like DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, HR, VARIETY, none of them are even commenting.

It's dinky newspapers picking up and filling the pages with print.

But the trades still have yet to report the rumor (let alone any official statement).

Doesn't change the fact that the widest read newspapers are circulating the story (here). And you know how people are, they'll believe anything.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    here are links to the trades writing about DC-- and not one talk about the unsubstantiated tabloid crap that's been regurgitated over the past 24 hours. These links are dated most recent to years ago. None discuss the most recent "news":

DEADLINE:

http://deadline.com/results/#?q=daniel craig

VARIETY:

http://variety.com/results/#?q=daniel craig

HR: (this one's the most interesting since they wrote something on him just five days ago; but still no mention of the offer and he walking away...)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/search/daniel craig

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The story is out there. Half the people don't have the time or the inclination to dig for the 'facts'. They just read what they see and that is that he turned down the money and is gone.

Now, if he comes back, what are people going to think? That he was offered more? That he's a money grabber? Came back for the money, which he said himself would be the reason.

It's almost like there's a campaign to get him out. He could quell it just by making a statement himself saying he is Bond for the forseeable future. The fact that he hasn't done so yet is suggestive, and perhaps due to contractual obligations, as Getafix noted a few pages back.
    I think at this point, it wouldn't be good at all, if he came back - not good for him. Whatever the truth, people would twist the facts again until he looks like the worst jerk. So - I really really hopes, he stays away from it.
    The fact that the sources denying it to the BBC stated that his decision wouldn't be made for some time is suggestive that there's a reason why he can't make a statement now either way. Whatever it is it does seem to suggest that Bond 25 may be some way off, starting to think a 2018 release is unlikely.
    He never cared about people's opinions. If he chooses to return, he'll do it for fun and pleasure (with profits, of course). If he doesn't, it's because he doesn't feel like so. The man has principles.
    I agree that a new creative team is needed. Unfortunately I think it should start at the very top. I have said before and I'll say it again, i don't think Barbara Brocolli has a clue how to make a great Bond movie. The only great Bond film in the last twenty years has been CR and that had Fleming as a blueprint to work from. But she's gotten away with it because she has also presided over the series most financially successful period. Wade and Purvis get a lot of hate for their scripts, but who ultimately signs off on these script's? That's correct, Brabara B! So BB thinks that their work is good enough for a multi million franchise movie. Doesn't anyone else think that's a little worrying.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I think at this point, it wouldn't be good at all, if he came back - not good for him. Whatever the truth, people would twist the facts again until he looks like the worst jerk. So - I really really hopes, he stays away from it.

I don't think he'll give a s***. Nor should he. Roger played this game throughout his tenure. I hope DC is up for another film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He never cared about people's opinions. If he chooses to return, he'll do it for fun and pleasure (with profits, of course). If he doesn't, it's because he doesn't feel like so. The man has principles.

Agreed. I also think he's not saying anything right now because it will be based on the creative. If they hand him another mediocre script, and he's not contractually obligated to pursue, he'll decline.

If it's a script that challenges him and the role, he'll say yes.

Until there's a script, and a new director attached, there's no announcement to make. There's no way Craig says one way or the other without first seeing where EON is taking the role.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    The story is out there. Half the people don't have the time or the inclination to dig for the 'facts'. They just read what they see and that is that he turned down the money and is gone.

Now, if he comes back, what are people going to think? That he was offered more? That he's a money grabber? Came back for the money, which he said himself would be the reason.

It's almost like there's a campaign to get him out. He could quell it just by making a statement himself saying he is Bond for the forseeable future. The fact that he hasn't done so yet is suggestive, and perhaps due to contractual obligations, as Getafix noted a few pages back.

I agree there is obviously some reason why he can't announce anything right now. That being said, I'm sure he knows whether he is staying or going, and has known for months. He's just stalling for time so EON can get their affairs in order.
    A dedicated husband. I'm quite happy for them, really. Especially when in modern-day Hollywood, marriages don't seem to last long.

Might not be just modern-day Hollywood, actually... There are some long marriages even in modern Hollywood, though. - Off the top of my head I could immediately think of only 4 actors with long, on-going marriages (and their first ones, too), but that is because I rarely even know about these things. Likely there are plenty others.

Weisz and Craig only married in 2011, so they haven't been married for that long, yet (and it's his second marriage, and she was with Aronofsky longer than she has yet been with Craig), but I wish them all the best.

She's been doing some interesting movies recently, and I look forward to seeing them.
    Perhaps Daniel has his priorities right ;)

I hope so. Everyone should.

Agreed. I also think he's not saying anything right now because it will be based on the creative. If they hand him another mediocre script, and he's not contractually obligated to pursue, he'll decline.

Until there's a script, and a new director attached, there's no announcement to make. There's no way Craig says one way or the other without first seeing where EON is taking the role.

Agreed.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bond 25: Bond and Madeleine settle down on a coutryside chicken farm.

The whole film centers on the struggles they have running it.
    That sounds worse than a Jinx spin-off.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bond 25: Bond and Madeleine settle down on a coutryside chicken farm.

I'd take that over Idris Elba as Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They open a small hotel near Torquay, with Bond dealing with
    awkward customers. :D
    They open a small hotel near Torquay, with Bond dealing with
    awkward customers. :D

Still better than Elba as Bond.
    I agree. I miss seeing more of the real location work, like in some of the earlier Bond films. I recently watched LALD and I could almost smell the bayou during the boat chase sequence. The croc scene also similarly popped on blu ray. CGI cannot recreate the atmosphere of a location imho, although it can for the most part recreate the visuals. The same goes for the Thailand canal/klong (which I have visited in real life) sequence in TMWTGG. One can almost smell the water in the film. The SF pretitles sequence gave off a similar vibe to a degree, due to the on site location work in Istanbul, but there was also the obvious enhanced CGI during the bike ride.

Yes, I certainly miss the days of the myriad of obvious Moore stuntmen in basically every Moore action scene.

Films in general just cost way more these days: inflation, larger bureaucracy, more middle men, various companies producing them that want a cut, etc. QoS and SP still had lots of on location shooting that isn't as cheap as it was during the '60's and '70's. Some of the older films also kept to one major location (DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, LaLD, etc.) so it was easier to keep costs down that way. That changed around the times of TMWTGG, TSWLM for sure.

I don't feel the Craig era has used locations particarly well, sadly. One exception might be Venice in CR.
    I don't know when EON will learn bigger =/= better.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I agree. I miss seeing more of the real location work, like in some of the earlier Bond films. I recently watched LALD and I could almost smell the bayou during the boat chase sequence. The croc scene also similarly popped on blu ray. CGI cannot recreate the atmosphere of a location imho, although it can for the most part recreate the visuals. The same goes for the Thailand canal/klong (which I have visited in real life) sequence in TMWTGG. One can almost smell the water in the film. The SF pretitles sequence gave off a similar vibe to a degree, due to the on site location work in Istanbul, but there was also the obvious enhanced CGI during the bike ride.

Yes, I certainly miss the days of the myriad of obvious Moore stuntmen in basically every Moore action scene.

Films in general just cost way more these days: inflation, larger bureaucracy, more middle men, various companies producing them that want a cut, etc. QoS and SP still had lots of on location shooting that isn't as cheap as it was during the '60's and '70's. Some of the older films also kept to one major location (DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, LaLD, etc.) so it was easier to keep costs down that way. That changed around the times of TMWTGG, TSWLM for sure.

I don't feel the Craig era has used locations particarly well, sadly. One exception might be Venice in CR.

And Haiti in QOS.

Hate to break it to you but there was no location shooting in Haiti for QoS.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'd say most people won't dig for facts about most stories anyway. Which is perfectly understandable, of course, one could spend 24 hours a day just trying to find out if various news items are correct or not. I've seen people comment even much earlier that Craig "likes money" and I don't know what they mean exactly. I must have missed something. So that thinking will only increase if he continues in the role.

He shouldn't care about that, though. I understand GL's view, she's understandably protective, but what he does shouldn't in any way be dictated by internet opinions and stuff like that. Famous people will inevitably get some shit on the internet/media anyway from people who have no actual clue. They shouldn't care, because it's ultimately meaningless.

Basically, if it was certain that he's staying, EON/Craig could easily have stopped the speculation at any time by making it clear he's not going anywhere. Since that hasn't happened, there are two possibilities as far as I can see. Either he's leaving, but just can't say so, and EON are dealing with stuff. Or it's uncertain: in other words whatever negotiations are happening about the replacement for Sony (or even continuing with them) are having an effect on Craig's situation, too. Or - like some are suggesting - EON and Craig are discussing about direction and script and stuff that may determine whether he stays or not. (The latter option seems less likely to me all things considered, but what do I know.)