No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,157
    =bg= wrote: »
    https://movieweb.com/bond-25-cast-helena-bonham-villain/

I mean, this article is fantastic. So many errors, so little time.

"It was confirmed just a few weeks ago that Daniel Craig will in fact be back as James Bond" (Colbert would disagree.)

"Naomie Harris, who has played Eve Moneypenny in all of Daniel Craig's James Bond movies.." (Must have missed her in CR and QOS)

There is also no indication yet if Ben Whishaw's Q will return, along with Andrew Scott's C or Ralph Fiennes' M.." (I think we can rule Scott out.)

"While no exact production date has been given yet..." My calendar is free on Monday December 3rd, Mr. Craig.

:))
    Sight
    If his claims are true, then who's playing who? Is Jolie playing the protege? Or is it Bonham-Carter? Not to mention, all the inconsistent reports and claims debunked many times, and then journalists and news media outlets wonder why don't we believe them and highly question their intelligence.

Both are - to start with - way too old to play the protege. A character most hope will never come to life.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Germanlady wrote: »
    If his claims are true, then who's playing who? Is Jolie playing the protege? Or is it Bonham-Carter? Not to mention, all the inconsistent reports and claims debunked many times, and then journalists and news media outlets wonder why don't we believe them and highly question their intelligence.

Both are - to start with - way too old to play the protege. A character most hope will never come to life.
    Exactly. I mean, both are old enough not to be the protege, so that leaves us with the villain role that was being rumoured about. So, who's going to play them? Both of them?

I was questioning the sanity of the article, not wondering whether they actually were authenticated as cast members, because it's logical they're not part of it. Not both of them at the same time, anyway.
    Ok, so no, not both, probably both not. But lets relax, because bs articles like this will come our way from now on like flies - a dozen every day. .
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited June 2018 Posts: 1,400
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Oh look, right on cue ...

James Bond 25: ‘Benedict Cumberbatch joins cast of Daniel Craig’s final 007 outing’
    https://express.co.uk/entertainment/films/969540/James-Bond-25-cast-Benedict-Cumberbatch-Daniel-Craig-Helena-Bonham-Carter-Angelina-Jolie

"CashleyPersia has previously said: “I work in the film industry and know people tangentially connected to the world of Bond.”

Well, heck. I have a Skyfall Jack Bulldog on my desk. Does that make me "tangentially" connected? I have a college degree and I had to "Hey Google" that word.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Germanlady wrote: »

Exactly. I mean, both are old enough not to be the protege, so that leaves us with the villain role that was being rumoured about. So, who's going to play them? Both of them?

I was questioning the sanity of the article, not wondering whether they actually were authenticated as cast members, because it's logical they're not part of it. Not both of them at the same time, anyway.

Perhaps they are playing a rebooted Klebb and Bunt, who have teamed up.
    this kind of past their sell by date casting doesn't appeal especially. felt the same way about Waltz. by the time they cast him he felt like the obvious choice from 10 years previously.

Boyle has always been good at digging up fresh/new talent. hope he does that this time as well.
    Boyle was filming with Ed Sheeran yesterday in Liverpool.

De9aBiRW4AAuJ-w.jpg

Sheeran is a huge name and if Eon could snag him for Bond 25 that would be a huge get. He would certainly be the natural heir to both Adele and Sam Smith – a young and acclaimed British musician tackling a Craig-era film.

There’s a chance that Boyle won’t want Ed to appear in two of his films (especially so close to one another). But naturally, the Beatles film and Bond 25 will step on each other’s toes in some respects.

I think smart money is on Sheeran doing the song. It would almost definitely get the Oscar in 2020. The real competition would be Beyoncé, who is doing an original song for the Lion King remake.

I think Ed Sheeran is a fantastic talent and he has an uncanny knack to write terrific pop songs. But his acoustic stylings don’t quite scream Bond bombast to me. Say what you want about Adele and Sam Smith’s songs; but on paper they fit the bill for grand operatic musicians with a touch of theatricality.

When Bond songs, try to be ‘different’, they often falter. You have to work in a rather narrow arena to write a truly iconic Bond theme.

Also if Sheeran did the song it would feel very much like a Sam Mendes-era choice. Maybe Boyle wants to experiment more? Underworld? Arctic Monkeys? Radiohead?

I know Boyle loves young talent and he has a working relationship with Wolf Alice and FKA Twigs. Both would be preferably over Sheeran.

In other (not really) news, the trailer for Yann Demange’s buzzed about new film was released. It looks great and it’s terrifically shot. I feel he was a big missed opportunity for Bond 25. I think he’d be ideally placed to reboot the series with a younger lead in a few years.

Matt McConnaughey for Felix Leiter, yeah!

edited June 2018 Posts: 15,423
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Bond: “How’s life outside the CIA with the Pinkertons?”
    Felix: “Alright, alright, alright.”
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,982
    Ed Sheeran is a fine performer but a little milk toast. Bond came in with a roar; Cornell's song was dynamic and ushered in a new era of a bold 007. The series needs a shot of adrenalin, including the title track. Please, not another ballad; send Craig off on a high note.
    I agree. but they might not be able to resist a sheeran global smash hit
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Arguably they already gave us the highest of the high notes during Smith's performance last time ;). So high in fact that by his own admission he had to yank on his privates:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6738626/sam-smith-writings-on-the-wall-bond-theme-grab-balls

Not sure if Sheeran can top that, even though he's also known for a bit of a higher pitch.
    ---

Does Boyle generally go for rock oriented songs? From my limited exposure to his work, I sense he has a penchant for melodic mid tempo stuff.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,600
    I can't find the words to explain how much Sheeran is wrong.The song and the performer IMHO sets the whole tone for the movie. Cornell was superb. It said "c'mon, lets go!!"
    it had real, heart pumping energy. It still works after so many viewings.

From a miner's son in Prontyprid with (Thunder) balls of granite to the son of an art curator constantly seeking comfort from heart break.

Please, no.........please, no.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I like Sheeran. But his style doesn’t quite work: he isn’t a rocker and he isn’t a crooner.

I am still hoping for Arctic Monkeys.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,157
    No to Sheeran, yes to Arctic Monkeys.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If Sheeran gets the gig then I already know I'll despise the title song.
    not if he goes rap on it. then you will love it
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Well if Cucumber isn't cast we can safely cross Cashly off the "mildly reputable" list. Although he laid out his cards quite easily, so maybe there might be a shred of truth to it. Seems like a silly last minute plead to make if you want your reputation back.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »
    not if he goes rap on it. then you will love it

That'd somehow be even worse. I've caught some TERRIBLE rap song he does on the radio with Taylor Swift. It's akin to having someone pour lye into my ears.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What do I know, but I firmly believe Cumberbatch will not be in a Bond film while he's Dr. Strange. After that, anything is possible.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,818

That's what I love about these double-O's. James get older, leading ladies stay the same age.

Yes they do.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    That's what I love about these double-O's. James get older, leading ladies stay the same age.

Yes they do.
    Yes they do.
    A friend of mine and I were joking about Matthew McConaughey as a potential Felix. Then we agreed after much laughter, that actually, he'd probably be a great Leiter.
    Agreed. He’d be a great Felix, and quite close to that of Fleming’s literary character.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I want to see Bond out stunt Mission Impossible! Tough act to follow though.
    Go back to then Glen era then mate because you'll be waiting a long time.

No thanks. I like the MI films. Would love a Bond/Hunt team up but that will obviously never happen.

I have always thought that! he's got that texas drawl!
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran is a fine performer but a little milk toast. Bond came in with a roar; Cornell's song was dynamic and ushered in a new era of a bold 007. The series needs a shot of adrenalin, including the title track. Please, not another ballad; send Craig off on a high note.

Beyonce with John Barry brass = Bassey 2.0
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Walecs wrote: »
    No for Sheeran, yes for Arctic Monkeys.
    Well put. I think AM would fit fantastically well to a Danny Boyle film.