No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Shall we wait to see if the film is even being made before we guess on a running time ?
    As long as we get the damned film I wont care about the running time !!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Shall we wait to see if the film is even being made before we guess on a running time ?

As soon as we hear about a distributor, then I will believe there is a new Bond film around the corner, until then I will remain skeptical.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I expect craig's final film not to just be his longest but the longest bond film in the entire franchise the ideal runtime I like to see is 165 minutes but we shall see
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Good point...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I expect craig's final film not to just be his longest but the longest bond film in the entire franchise
    We just had that, I thought. I can't see them making one longer than the last, but one never knows.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Did the Eon executives move to Pinewood yet? They were supposed to begin pre-production sometime in May 2018.

For once I agree. QOS action scenes would have been awesome without the terrible cut and would have elevated the film immensely. Just think what the roof top chase could have Bern and DC did it all to not have the need for Cuts. Just saying.
    Once in a while I would likeyou to remember, that whenever he DID do his Bonds, he gave them his all, health included. He worked through the pain and whatnot to not delay the shooting. Knowing that -and all here know it, having followed the productions, makes it all the more sad to see all the bad mouthing. No Roger ( and I love him) and no Pierce would even have thought of doing all those stunts etc.but they were better in the PR department. Sean was not doing too well in that either. So - obviously, you never get both. So, which one do you choose?

I suppose the answer - IF there is any, will be divided. But in the end, its about WHAT brings the actor to the character ON screen and not MORE how much is he willing to twist his personality, if hhat isnt outgoing by nature and more no nonsense in limelight.

Its so easy or seems so to hate and slash out, because its the way to be, rather then trying to be fair and not wuoting english trash Tabloids.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Once in a while I would likeyou to remember, that whenever he DID do his Bonds, he gave them his all, health included. He worked through the pain and whatnot to not delay the shooting. Knowing that -and all here know it, having followed the productions, makes it all the more sad to see all the bad mouthing.
    I don't doubt that but given QOS had probably almost wrapped by this time in 2008 the guy has made 2 Bond films in a decade! People say footballers are overpaid but over the same decade Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have put it in week in week out, year in year out for 10 months every single year.

If they are overpaid then Dan is stealing a living.

I appreciate his commitment when he does do them but all this whining about needing a break gets no traction with me I'm afraid.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 6,601
    Just showing off DMs way of storytelling by titles @Mendes and Co. I believe variety posted the 25 and that I believe more. Just an example, how DM certainly is not the source for proper information. They write what they see proper to make its readers believe. Not unlike some people Here. Its either this or that, who cares? And people believe it AND quote it. Purpose achieved. Must I day, its directed to the rather dull minds in all our popularity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5713071/Daniel-Craig-paid-25MILLION-reprise-role-James-Bond-vowing-hed-slash-wrists.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5716263/Daniel-Craig-set-50-cent-pay-cut-reprises-James-Bond-role-fifth-time.html
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Once in a while I would likeyou to remember, that whenever he DID do his Bonds, he gave them his all, health included. He worked through the pain and whatnot to not delay the shooting. Knowing that -and all here know it, having followed the productions, makes it all the more sad to see all the bad mouthing.
    I don't doubt that but given QOS had probably almost wrapped by this time in 2008 the guy has made 2 Bond films in a decade! People say footballers are overpaid but over the same decade Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have put it in week in week out, year in year out for 10 months every single year.

If they are overpaid then Dan is stealing a living.

I appreciate his commitment when he does do them but all this whining about needing a break gets no traction with me I'm afraid.

So , MGM after QOS is HIS fault? No distributor now is HIS fault?

After SP they ALL wanted a break but I bet, NOT this long. Otherwise MGW wouldnt have said what he did.
    @Wizard - there was no such comment after QOS. He stood by - waiting, being ready at all time during the MGM debacle. Then they did SFwhen it was finally possible. And then we had the now infamous wrists comment. It was blown out of proportion - as he should have known - and he paid dearly for it. Probably forever. But this delay is NOT his fault. Maybe at some point, we will know, what caused it. Until then, we should be cautious with pointing at someone.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead
    Utterly inane question as the two things are completely unrelated.

The OHMSS ski chase would be shit with shaky cam and 'incomprihensible' (sic) editing as well but that would not be a reflection on Willy Bogner and co.

QoS was also not shot using the shaky-cam method. It was just edited into oblivion. Schaefer actually did some really nice work.
    That has always been my impression. Some wonderful locations and creative action set pieces were ruined by schizophrenic editing. Quite a tragic waste in my view. I've always hoped they would do another cut one day, while realizing the chances are zero.

Quite right. Though Deakins and Hoytema did great work on the last two films and are rightfully praised, I much prefer the way that Craig himself was lit in his first two films. To my eyes, that definitely played a part in how good he looked, as well as generally being tailored better.

Schaefer in particular struck a nice balance between the more edgy "Craig-ness" from CR against the 60s atmospherics and vibes thanks to his use of high contrast colours and wide angles.

Such a pity it was chopped apart.

DdFfaLDWsAEHnf7?format=jpg

DdFfdIbXUAAFrVm?format=jpg

DdFgcn2X4AA3EsZ?format=jpg
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    it's like 2 different eras. one fresh and exciting and the other a bit staid and past it's sell by date. such a shame they aged him prematurely for SF when that should have been his 'Bond in his pomp' movie
    Getafix wrote: »
    it's like 2 different eras. one fresh and exciting and the other a bit staid and past it's sell by date. such a shame they aged him prematurely for SF when that should have been his 'Bond in his pomp' movie

I don't think Craig can pull that off, anyway. Probably neither did they, thus why they avoided it. There's no angst to be derived from Bond in his pomp.

I don't think Craig can pull that off, anyway. Probably neither did they, thus why they avoided it. There's no angst to be derived from Bond in his pomp.
    I've seen some argue that they gave us that with SP. His TB apparently. I'm afraid I disagree.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Ah, those images! The treat waiting at the end of the many posts over the past couple days I had to catch up on in this thread. A beautiful film. My favorite-looking of the Craig era.
    Strog wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Ah, those images! The treat waiting at the end of the many posts over the past couple days I had to catch up on in this thread. A beautiful film. My favorite-looking of the Craig era.
    Agreed. Many of the shots (when the camera stays still for a moment) are truly stunning and evocative of classic Bond, but with a modern twist.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I expect craig's final film not to just be his longest but the longest bond film in the entire franchise the ideal runtime I like to see is 165 minutes but we shall see

I sincerely hope not.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would be fine with a film that lasts an hour.
    for all it's faults QOS is the film that (albeit only in brief moments) comes closest during the Craig era to capturing the freshness and excitement of the early Bond films.

CR is good but overlong. SF reminds me more of the Brosnan era than classic Bond. and it's too long. SP has some enjoyable sequences but too long.

QOS wins. Great score as well. And the Tosca sequence. And I like Mathieu Amelric.
    QoS it’s my favorite as well. By a wide margin! Especially compared to the last two.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,619
    How does the excitement and anticipation for B25 compare with previous outings. How hyped are you for the production to kick off in December (in theory)?

My excitement level before CR: 10. I have been a Craig fan since day 1, and was incredibly excited about the reboot and back-to-basics approach.

My excitement level before QOS: 8 and it sunk the closer we got to the release. I didn't care for the casting, and the story didn't seem that interesting, but it was the sequel of CR!

Before SF: 10. I have been a HUGE Sam Mendes fan for a long time, and the team of Mendes + Deakins + Newman doing a Bond movie sounded tremendously exciting.

Before SP: 10 when the return of Mendes was officially announced, and then about 3 or 4 when the leaks happened and I read the screenplay. SP ended up being the first Bond movie since I became a Bond fan (which happened in the late 90s) that I did NOT watch at the cinema.

My excitement level now: 8 or 9. I've never been a big Danny Boyle fan, but the fact that the auteur team of Boyle and Hodge approached EON (and not the other way around!) makes me very excited.
    not the editing but the action sequences in QoS were quite exciting. unfortunately they were not very well linked to the plot.

Really? I couldn't see what was going on, most of the time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    shamanimal wrote: »
    not the editing but the action sequences in QoS were quite exciting. unfortunately they were not very well linked to the plot.

Really? I couldn't see what was going on, most of the time.

That was the editing.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    QoS it’s my favorite as well. By a wide margin! Especially compared to the last two.

Ah man if only they could get Marc Forster back
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    bondjames wrote: »
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead
    Utterly inane question as the two things are completely unrelated.

The OHMSS ski chase would be shit with shaky cam and 'incomprihensible' (sic) editing as well but that would not be a reflection on Willy Bogner and co.

QoS was also not shot using the shaky-cam method. It was just edited into oblivion. Schaefer actually did some really nice work.
    That has always been my impression. Some wonderful locations and creative action set pieces were ruined by schizophrenic editing. Quite a tragic waste in my view. I've always hoped they would do another cut one day, while realizing the chances are zero.

Quite right. Though Deakins and Hoytema did great work on the last two films and are rightfully praised, I much prefer the way that Craig himself was lit in his first two films. To my eyes, that definitely played a part in how good he looked, as well as generally being tailored better.

Schaefer in particular struck a nice balance between the more edgy "Craig-ness" from CR against the 60s atmospherics and vibes thanks to his use of high contrast colours and wide angles.

Such a pity it was chopped apart.

DdFfaLDWsAEHnf7?format=jpg

DdFfdIbXUAAFrVm?format=jpg

DdFgcn2X4AA3EsZ?format=jpg

If B25 looks even remotely as beautiful as those images, I'll be very happy.
    No wonder it looks good, it cost 200 million!
    For my 10000th post I was hoping for something new and official from Eon. The return of Armstrong was not the news I was looking for but will take it seeing how bads things are for news. Welcome back Vic!!!
    CR, QOS, and SF was a great run for Craig’s Bond. SP dropped the ball and went too overboard on things like humor, melodrama, and connections to past films. For my money, Craig is 3 for 4. I think he can make it 4 for 5 with Bond 25 so long as they remember what made his first few so good and to let it be its own, unique film. CR, QOS, and SF are all very unique entries to the franchise. SP was too much of a retread.