No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    CR, QOS, and SF was a great run for Craig’s Bond. SP dropped the ball and went too overboard on things like humor, melodrama, and connections to past films. For my money, Craig is 3 for 4. I think he can make it 4 for 5 with Bond 25 so long as they remember what made his first few so good and to let it be its own, unique film. CR, QOS, and SF are all very unique entries to the franchise. SP was too much of a retread.

you're right @FoxRox -- a great run of films, with one that dropped the ball. I wouldn't worry about 25. At all.
  • RC7RC7
    QoS it’s my favorite as well. By a wide margin! Especially compared to the last two.

Ah man if only they could get Marc Forster back

This opinion always smacks of pretentiousness, far more than that apportioned to appreciating SF. A bit like lauding what is obviously a band’s most mediocre album as their misunderstood classic.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited May 2018 Posts: 2,730
    RC7 wrote: »
    QoS it’s my favorite as well. By a wide margin! Especially compared to the last two.

This opinion always smacks of pretentiousness, far more than that apportioned to appreciating SF. A bit like lauding what is obviously a band’s most mediocre album as their misunderstood classic.

Why are you being a prick? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed
    @RC7 seriously, what’s more pretentious is that you assume just because someone loves QOS that it’s a “wrong” opinion somehow. There’s nothing pretentious about preferring something less popular over something else more popular.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Agreed. I'd love for EON to just hand the franchise to Forster. QOS looks and feels great, start to finish. The "issue" of fast editing is something valid perhaps for the first watch, but it's all quite easy to follow the second time, especially at home on a smaller screen.

And these movies, ideally, should be designed from the start with lunatics like us in mind: people who watch these things dozens of times.

Or Like not being able to recognize a quite inspired movie when you see it. Happens mostly to people who rate extremely misconceived movies like Skyfall.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

There are also those who appreciate them both. Are they extra pretentious?
  • peterpeter Toronto

I suppose I'd be dumped into that category... I love the first three, so...
    Still underwhelmed with Boyle, his idea must have been character/story driven & they're leaving the action to Armstrong. I'll be disappointed if craig is only limited to vehicle action. I want another Slate or hinx fight scene.
    Armstrong's return is excellent news. TND in particular has some of the best action in the series.

If that’s the case, count me as pretentious!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,533

I've been called worse. CR, QOS, and SF make a fine trilogy. My personal favorite after the Godfather trilogy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Remington wrote: »

I've been called worse. CR, QOS, and SF make a fine trilogy. My personal favorite after the Godfather trilogy.

except the Craig era has one better film than the GF trilogy, right??
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I want Craig for as long as we have him. The next Bond is going to have some big shoes to fill.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @Birdleson -- GF I & II are indeed my favorite films of all time... And I see flashes of development and glimpses of past greatness in the third-- but I want to vomit every time I watch the last film.

I'd much rather watch CR, QoS and SF vs the GF trilogy...

Ask me if i'd rather watch CR, QoS and SF vs GF I & II, then we have a nasty scrap...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    I want Craig for as long as we have him. The next Bond is going to have some big shoes to fill.

Many on this thread think the hiatus between Sp and now (although out of EoN's hands) was wasted by laziness.

It wasn't.

Stories were explored and actors- some mentioned on this site- were indeed given consideration to be 007 in 25 (I have no idea if this means an actual audition-- I'm guessing some yes, others no). They just were, pretty much, flat-out turned-down. No one impressed the brass... Or came close to what they have in DC...

In a few years, we'll hear the stories-- as we've heard those from Cubby's days. That won't be too difficult to uncover.

It will be a task to fill DC's shoes. I've said this all along: I'd hate to be Babs/EoN during the re-cast. And B25 will make it much more difficult, in my opinion.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think a lot of my favorite films work as duologies.
    CR and QOS
    Blade runner and 2049
    Godfather 1 and 2
    Trainspotting and T2

And don’t crucify me but
    Prometheus and covenant

As for trilogies they never seem to all be great, the only trilogy in history where every film is solid in my mind is the first 3 bond films and their technically not a trilogy but I guess they can be thought of as so.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I would be fine with a film that lasts an hour.
    - So, we meet again, Ernst.
    - Welcome Jame--

JAMES BOND WILL RETURN

that's my view as well and I'm sure one that the Brocollis share. in fact MGW said at the start he wanted Craig for 7 or 8 films didn't he? that was actually entirely possible if we hadn't had these stupidly long breaks between films.

I don't think you can call time on a Bond actor all that easily. many say Dog should have gone after FYEO or even MR. but I'm glad we've got those last three films. okay after AVTAK everyone could see it was time to call it a day but it would a great loss never to have had Rog's OP performance - one of his best.

Given that I regard Craig's predecessor as the worst Bond in the series I am in no hurry for a recast and all the associated risks of EON casting a total numpty as his replacement
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Honestly, I always found Godfather 3 somewhat underrated. Obviously it isn't nearly as good as the first two but it's not the disaster some claim. Lol okay back on topic.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7 seriously, what’s more pretentious is that you assume just because someone loves QOS that it’s a “wrong” opinion somehow. There’s nothing pretentious about preferring something less popular over something else more popular.

I didn’t say it was a “wrong” opinion, I don’t dislike QoS, but the idea that Forster represents the best of the era, so much so he should return, is laughable to me. Shouldn’t we be wanting to move forward? Boyle is a far more exciting proposition.

So to be clear, I’m not calling out QoS fans as pretentious, I’m suggesting those who position it as some sort of creative zenith are. Just my opinion, of course (no need to throw a hissy if this is you).

See above.
    peter wrote: »

???? You indeed are speaking in riddles.

Just take someone with good looks and an acting range that goes beyond brooding and you’re done.
    @RC7 it might be laughable to you but there’s a few members who seriously believe QOS is the best of the Craig era, and I don’t see why they have to be called out for that. You can objectively argue it does several things better than Craig’s other films. I don’t care if you think it’s Craig’s low point; I just think it’d be cooler if you didn’t criticize people for having the opposite opinion by calling them pretentious.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Just take someone with good looks and an acting range that goes beyond brooding and you’re done.

Aidan Turner. And he won't make any big blunders in the press, for good measure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

???? You indeed are speaking in riddles.

No, I don't think so.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    @RC7 it might be laughable to you but there’s a few members who seriously believe QOS is the best of the Craig era, and I don’t see why they have to be called out for that. You can objectively argue it does several things better than Craig’s other films. I don’t care if you think it’s Craig’s low point; I just think it’d be cooler if you didn’t criticize people for having the opposite opinion by calling them pretentious.

@RC7 is entitled to his views - no need to close him down. a bit of name calling doesn't do any harm as long as it doesn't get too personal.

call me pretentious but I've always enjoyed QOS since it came out. it's only since being on these threads that I've discovered it's so widely reviled by a lot of fans. I can see it's faults but don't understand the hate. Crucially it doesn't outstay it's welcome whereas with the other 3 Craig entries I find myself watching the clock- not a great sign with a Bond film.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I didn’t say it was a “wrong” opinion, I don’t dislike QoS, but the idea that Forster represents the best of the era, so much so he should return, is laughable to me. Shouldn’t we be wanting to move forward? Boyle is a far more exciting proposition.

So to be clear, I’m not calling out QoS fans as pretentious, I’m suggesting those who position it as some sort of creative zenith are. Just my opinion, of course (no need to throw a hissy if this is you).

See above.

I'm with you mate.

I'm afraid I can't buy into this revisionist thinking that QOS is somehow now an undisputed classic, which seems to me only to have come about through people's disillusion with the bloated and self indulgent Mendes era.

Back at the time everyone was were smashing it for its lack of plot and unfinished script (not really EON's fault but nonetheless), its terrible editing and its constant, incoherent action scenes (see the flying boat thread) that never give the story a chance to breathe. And let's not forget it also has arguably the worst title song and opening credits and by far the worst henchman and gunbarrel.

But now its apparently an absolute gem of a film because of, largely it seems, its short run time, to the point where some people are now suggesting its actually better than CR itself (which only has about an hour of pure Fleming material in its locker so how could it even hope to compete)?

In the last decade I've walked out of the cinema feeling extremely deflated twice. Once was with the shambles that was SP and the other time was when I went in pumped for the follow up to the stunning CR and came out after watching QOS.

Dont' get me wrong - it has improved on repeat viewings and it is better on a small screen but still needs another 20-30 mins of story and plot to separate the relentless action, most of which seems to be there just for the sake of it. Craig is very good in it but its not that good a film and doesn't really deliver a worthy follow up to CR, more of a final coda.

I also really cannot fathom the notion that what the series needs is Forster back at all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @TheWizardOfIce QOS did give us the legendary Rory Kinnear as Tanner. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @TheWizardOfIce QOS did give us the legendary Rory Kinnear as Tanner. ;)

The final nail in its cofffin. That alone precludes it from ever being considered a classic.

And let’s not forget that annoying Welsh midget as Q or MI6’s Minority Report tech.