No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    peter wrote: »
    I did like TRAINSPOTTING, SHALLOW GRAVE, and 28DL... I did not like A LIFE LESS ORDINARY, nor THE BEACH, or SLUMDOG... These three latter films seemed slicker and flashier, and, it seemed (although I haven't looked), that at least two out of those three films seemed to be bigger budget Doyle films.

And these slicker, flashier and bigger budget Doyle films, to me-- only to me-- seemed to lose the spirit of his grittier/character films (TS, SG and 28DL).

Which has me conflicted if Boyle's our next man for 25:

He's great at character and gritty, for sure, and I love a Bond that has that (CR, QoS), but when Boyle's films do this, the scope of that world seems rather small-- not good for Bond.

But when Boyle does big and slick, the characters and grittiness seem to suffer-- not good for DC Bond.

So I feel off-balance: neither excited, nor disappointed. But wary that Boyle's not the right man for Bond (and, if memory serves, he also agreed that this franchise was not for him either (in well published articles, easy to google)).

I agree.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Would someone please explain the seemingly huge appeal of a small-budget Bond? I have never been able to wrap my head around it.
    For me it's just the idea that restriction possibly enhances creativity.
    It worked with the two Campbell entries, which were both made on a restricted budget.

I wonder if we have another surprise in store. Smaller budget suggests reboot to me.
    Never realized that GE had basically half the budget of TND before looking it up just now.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Would someone please explain the seemingly huge appeal of a small-budget Bond? I have never been able to wrap my head around it.
    For me it's just the idea that restriction possibly enhances creativity.
    It worked with the two Campbell entries, which were both made on a restricted budget.

I wonder if we have another surprise in store. Smaller budget suggests reboot to me.
    Never realized that GE had basically half the budget of TND before looking it up just now.
    Yes they were really tight fisted with that one because there were concerns about whether Bond could succeed after such a long break. Campbell did a fantastic job with that film given what he had to work with. It's sometimes criticized as looking dated and being a bit cheap, but there is a reason for that.
    Films like DN, FRWL, or FYEO with a generally smaller scale really work well I think for Bond. After SF and SP, fairly epic Bond films, I think it would be a good direction to go in.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    This doesn't necessarily mean re-boot; far from it, @bondjames, IF Baz is to be believed: Babs, MGW and DC are "willing" this to happen... that doesn't smell re-boot to me.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Who's Boyle's go to composer?
    This doesn't necessarily mean re-boot; far from it, @bondjames, IF Baz is to be believed: Babs, MGW and DC are "willing" this to happen... that doesn't smell re-boot to me.
    Of course @peter. Of course.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2018 Posts: 16,331
    He's worked with a lot of them. Including David Arnold. John Murphy appears to be his mainstay.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Murdock wrote: »
    He's worked with a lot of them. Including David Arnold. John Murphy appears to be his mainstay.

I hope they bring back Arnold it only be fitting.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2018 Posts: 16,331
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I hope they bring back Arnold it only be fitting.

Me too. A TND esque score for Craig's potentially last movie would be the icing on cake for me.
    Bringing back Arnold for Craig's last would be AWESOME. Arnold is my second favorite Bond composer after Barry.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No, seriously @bondjames , I'm not being sarcastic (honestly, at this point, DC or re-boot, I hope something great comes of this; I love DC as Bond and think he's the best thing the series has received since King Connery killed it. That's me. But, life being life, if they have to re-boot, I have to shrug, and just hope for a good Bond film. I can't see them casting as well as they did with DC, but, that's nobodies problem but my own);

Baz says that Babs, MGW and DC is willing this (boyle film) to happen. Sounds like this trio are involved in the (eventual) hiring of Boyle. Sucks for the Craig-haters, but, FOR NOW, it seems DC is still very much in the picture.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I wouldn't care if we got a Mendes/Tamahori co-direction. I'm just happy to finally get news.
    If the script is approved, I will be less worried. I assume for now DC stays, but things could get bad if the script isn’t liked.
    The latest:

"But the most important cheerleader in the meeting was Daniel, and he was pushing for Danny to direct. He loves the fact that it’s something completely different. He has not signed up for more of the same old Bond."

"Broccoli and Wilson’s Eon Productions, and executives at MGM, have formed an unusual alliance with Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner to ‘smooth the way’ so that if the Boyle-Hodge Bond idea gets the green light, the pair can move seamlessly from All You Need Is Love to Bond 25."

"The seed of Danny and John’s Bond was planted when Danny directed that incredible short film — featuring Daniel Craig, the Queen and her corgis — for the opening of the 2012 London Olympics. That’s where the bond, for want of a better word, was formed,’ one of my big-time sources told me. ‘I’d be shot if I told you the story idea they’ve come up with, but it’s pure movie gold."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5480285/Danny-Boyle-set-charge-new-Bond-film.html
    ---

@peter, I realize you're a Craig fan. Not to worry because it looks like you will get your wish for one more with him. He's driving this based on the above. As I said a few pages back, this is the Daniel Craig show. One either loves it, has had enough of it, or hates it. Let's see what they bring us. I have a feeling if he can't get Hodge approved, he will voluntarily pull out.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @bondjames
    Very well said
    What is it about Boyle that makes some of you think him unsuitable? Too drama oriented?

Personally I’m split on him. I love sunshine and the trainspotting films and I think he’s a competent director but I don’t like Hodges. There’s some real annoying plot holes in T2 that I don’t want to see popping up in a bond film. B25 will be shaping up to be another skyfall which I know some of you guys are fine with but for me, I like a good spy story.
    I will try to check out Trainspotting, as that seems to be his famed entry. Thanks @JamesBondKenya
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,270
    Pure movie gold? Completely different? Oh boy; the hype begins.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    No Mendes AND new writers does make me very intrigued. Can't wait to see what they've come up with.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well, @bondjames, I am not worried. Either way (re-boot, or no), I won't worry. So, please, don't worry about me worrying (I'm too neurotic as is, and can't deal with a scenario like this, where, an anonymous person, on the internet, is worrying about me worrying; it's enough to make my head explode.)

And I won't try and defend my tremendous affection for DC and what I think he's brought to the role (I also love the books, and i see and connect with his interpretation; some people, like nosolace, can disagree all he wants with my opinion, but, before he does, he should concentrate on that novel he was trying to write).

I think they can actually, theoretically, end off with a solid story for this actor, playing this role (but, as I stated above, Boyle (my apologies that I shift from Boyle to Doyle (too much Sherlock in my life as well), does give me pause; My ignorant opinion, as a fan of this character, and a fan, or not, of Boyle, is that Babs better have a group to monitor Boyle and makes sure the vision doesn't fall too far off the mark of the franchise's formula (ha-ha, some may say, too late; but not me (we've had one muddy film out of four; I don't mind that record, feeling, as some others do, that they will correct the "wrongs" of SP)).

And, as you say: one loves it, hates it, had enough of it-- like anything about anything at any given time, about something-- this is not a concept unique to Bond...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    From what I’ve seen of Boyle, not excited at all. Sorry. I hope I’m proven wrong with this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @ClarkDevlin, like you, I hope I am proved wrong-- I actually want a great send-off for DC. I'm also humble enough to realize, I don't know what their pitch was to get the creatives excited; I can only assume that it was pretty awesome.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Pure movie gold?

I’m interested.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    we must also understand that "the latest" that @bondjames published here, was brought to you care of the Daily Mail-- the inside scoop and how the story is depicted is up for debate. I'll await an inside scoop from other sources like Deadline, Variety (sister papers), and THR.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the behind-the-scenes descriptives quoted above. TDM is slightly above a rag, but not above the trash. They seem to always take a little fact and... embellish with the drama...

For anyone to have ever doubted DL's sound reporting to quote TDM should re-assess good reporting, from bad.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    There will be no "re-boot" as long as Daniel Craig is Bond.
    It would be odd to have a reboot with Craig still there. Maybe a soft reboot ignoring SF and SP? Who knows.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It would be odd to have a reboot with Craig still there. Maybe a soft reboot ignoring SF and SP? Who knows.

Or just don't mention anything period about his previous films. Like the old days.

edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Oh @peter I wasn't worried about you worrying. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't want your head or anything else of yours to explode either. Glad you can handle a reboot or no reboot. So can I. After all, it's out of our hands.

Let's see what May brings us. This merry go round is far from over and more twists and turns are likely in the near term. Such drama.

I'm glad I don't know anything about Boyle actually. That's how it was for Mendes (the only two films of his I've watched are the two Bonds) and so I had no preconceptions. Therefore I think I'm going to hold off on watching anything of Boyle's for now. Hopefully I shall be pleasantly surprised if he gets the gig, as I was with Mendes's SF.

In the meanwhile I've got other series to keep me busy while these people get their act together and get moving.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115
    we must also understand that "the latest" that @bondjames published here, was brought to you care of the Daily Mail-- the inside scoop and how the story is depicted is up for debate. I'll await an inside scoop from other sources like Deadline, Variety (sister papers), and THR.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the behind-the-scenes descriptives quoted above. TDM is slightly above a rag, but not above the trash. They seem to always take a little fact and... embellish with the drama...

For anyone to have ever doubted DL's sound reporting to quote TDM should re-assess good reporting, from bad.

Bamigboye has had a number of Bond scoops proven correct since 2010. One of his more recent ones was, just about a year ago, that Purvis & Wade had been hired to write Bond 25. That was confirmed in the July 24, 2017 press release with the November 2019 release date.

Others:

--Purvis & Wade had been brought back to rewrite SPECTRE's script.
    --Albert Finney had been cast in Skyfall.
    --Ralph Fiennes was in the Skyfall cast (before announcement)
    -- Naomie Harris would be more than a sidekick in SPECTRE (first inkling of the "Scooby Gang" in the movie)
    --Monica Bellucci would be in SPECTRE (a tweet, rather than a story).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7, you also bring this nice dose of realistic expectation-- plus you know what it takes to get get in the gym (running not being one of them for compositional changes/fitness, I'm guessing; more metabolic training and conditioning is the school of fit I think you come from? )