No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    One Of the reasons that I think Jackman could have been such an effective Bond is that he can do lighthearted and charming extremely well and can actually be more physical and brutal than Craig. He would have provided a nice balance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    One thing I hope they don't do with B25 is make the story primarily about the Craig Bond arc. I personally don't believe that is going to resonate. One of the reasons SF really hit the spot is because of the central arc between M & Silva. To make it about Bond (as they did with SP & to an extent QoS) is taking the wrong lessons in my view.

Yes, there was always CR, but that film was unique in many ways, being based on a novel, being an origin story and being the launch of a new Bond which always has the public's interest.

So I hope they focus on a narrative that is interesting and engaging which Bond merely participates in, as opposed to making him the central focus.
    talos7 wrote: »
    One Of the reasons that I think Jackman could have been such an effective Bond is that he can do lighthearted and charming extremely well and can actually be more physical and brutal than Craig. He would have provided a nice balance.

Both born the same year, and Hugh Jackman looks somewhat an indeterminate age. Not too old, not too young. Had he been cast in 2006 and were still playing Bond, one could argue he's at his peak now, rather than towards the end of his reign.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Jackman would’ve been awesome. The most physically imposing Bond. As long as his inclination didn’t make him go the too charming route. Craig did open up the role in terms of looking different though for all who follow.
    He surely did, but I feel it's important not to take that too far. I'd prefer a return to a more conventional Bond for the next go around, SJW be damned.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,407
    Can't believe all the negativity I read on here on a daily basis. I agree the filmmakers have to give us an overall better product than Spectre but...seriously guys have a little faith. Glass half full, you know what I mean? I have full confidence that EON and whoever the director is will give Craig a worthy send-off and then we'll get a great new Bond with a great first film
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Can't believe all the negativity I read on here on a daily basis. I agree the filmmakers have to give us an overall better product than Spectre but...seriously guys have a little faith. Glass half full, you know what I mean? I have full confidence that EON and whoever the director is will give Craig a worthy send-off and then we'll get a great new Bond with a great first film

+1
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,368
    bondbat007 wrote: »

We all hope that, but speaking for my personal view, SP goes further down on my list with every viewing, making it difficult to have high expectations to what they might deliver. Rather be pleasantly surprised.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 832
    bondjames wrote: »
    One thing I hope they don't do with B25 is make the story primarily about the Craig Bond arc. I personally don't believe that is going to resonate. One of the reasons SF really hit the spot is because of the central arc between M & Silva. To make it about Bond (as they did with SP & to an extent QoS) is taking the wrong lessons in my view.

Yes, there was always CR, but that film was unique in many ways, being based on a novel, being an origin story and being the launch of a new Bond which always has the public's interest.

So I hope they focus on a narrative that is interesting and engaging which Bond merely participates in, as opposed to making him the central focus.

Agree completely. In short, focus on the non recurring characters and not the regulars. Give them an interesting storyline. Cr and sf are the exceptions that worked, qos and sp did not.
    I don’t think people mean or want to be negative, but as has been pointed out , nature abhors a vacuum, and in the absence of actual news , speculation, reflection and criticism fill the void . Had SPECTRE been a better film I don’t think the negativity would be as prominent and there would be more positive anticipation.
    As far as having faith in EON....
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I don’t think people mean or want to be negative, but as has been pointed out , nature abhors a vacuum, and in the absence of actual news , speculation, reflection and criticism fill the void . Had SPECTRE been a better film I don’t think the negativity would be as prominent and there would be more positive anticipation.
    As far as having faith in EON....

True.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Also, this kind of thing tends to happen in fan forums.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I agree that Bond 25 would probably work better as a stand alone film. No ties to any of Craig's previous outings. And certainly no mention of Vesper. I feel that story arc is well and truly done.
    Not a remake because it wouldn't work, but a stand alone film in the vein of Goldfinger is what I'm thinking. Get Jeffrey Wright back for Felix (If they can get him out of Westworld) to add some good by play between the two.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm still holding out for YOLT. Surely P&W realize that they will never have a better opportunity to do this novel justice.
    Like I said in previous discussions bond 25 write itself sure there will be a chorus of complaints from hardcore fans here but for Johnny multiplex it will be a great film and easily make 900 million for those who need a reminder

I am unsure of PTS but after watching Mission Impossible 3 last year I thought it would be interesting to give us a glimpse of the finale
    Titles (bring back the rock theme to end Craig’s tenure)
    Main story
    Gala Brand (Alicia Vilkender the new tomb raider girl) is our new 007 sent on a mission to track former 007 James Bond (Daniel Craig) who is on a diplomatic mission in japan to help relations after the whole nine eyes thing as it turns out Tiger Tanaka gives bond and Impossible mission to help relations kill Dr Shatterhand a Japanese terrorist who is dealing in death....

Shatterhand is Blofield and by the end of the film he is dead as is Swann Brand leaves the 00 section realizing she can’t be normal and a 00 and Bond is reinstated asked to look into something special by M as credits roll

Done there you have a bond film with enough depth for an actor like Craig to sink his teeth into you have the loose ends of Spectre tied up and honestly you can use either popular title Garden of Death or Shatterhand and it still works as part of Craig’s pattern (odd numbered films are titled after the climax even titled films after the organization and emotional struggle)

Which Bond 26 could turn in theory be unused elements of The Man with the golden gun and you only live twice titled The Property of a Lady with either Hardy or Hiddleston as 007
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote: »
    I'm still holding out for YOLT. Surely P&W realize that they will never have a better opportunity to do this novel justice.

P&W try to work in even small bits of Fleming where they can (see: the bald terrorists in TWINE, a callback to the MR novel; Bond's obituary in SF, which is obviously the YOLT novel).

I hope they'd see that, unless they do it now with Craig, they won't get to use the emotional arc of the YOLT novel for at least another three or four films, and maybe even longer, depending on the tone of the next actor.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    About the negativity: Imagine SP would have ended with the final scene of CR and after a film like CR ... a lot of the negativity is due to the fact SP was just not that good a Bond movie like it could have been.

But: I am a huge fan of the Craig era with 3 really great movies so I am sure they will find their way back to the qualities that suit Craig and with it deliver something good again
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I think at this point we should just be happy to get some news I mean other then the release date and Craig being back its been bone dry in the official news department
    craig must know something about the next one, he wouldn't of signed without knowing it looked better than SP.
    Maybe it’s because it will be the best Bond ever (optimism at work).
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    And that's not science fiction, that's science fact.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    craig must know something about the next one, he wouldn't of signed without knowing it looked better than SP.
    I agree 100% and it’s the main reason that I think much more is in place than has been announced.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I agree 100% and it’s the main reason that I think much more is in place than has been announced.

At the very least, he has read a draft.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I guess we'll know something in three weeks time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Why three weeks? What happens then?
    Why three weeks? What happens then?
    The month is over, and all the important awards are done with, so no Bond news steals the limelight, spark, or thunder from any A-list director with their high profile films.
    Surely the only one who will have any press buzz on account of the award shows at present is Nolan.
    Some form of Bond 25 news comes in March. 95% sure.
    That's as "early 2018" as it gets.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 10,588
    I'd be surprised if a director isn't already attached. Filming likely begins in less than 10 months and much time has to be allotted for them to inject their vision into the project.