No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not that bloody DB5 again! Neat posters though, @FoxRox.
    That's a smart idea, @ToTheRight. The Diamond Smugglers also aligns with that.
    Birds of the West Indies could also be used for a complex meaning beyond the obvious. Though it would be obligated to match or best the number of Bond Girls in a Bond film.

I never thought of Birds of the West Indies, though I completely associate it with Bond. I like it. I do feel we're overdo for a Bond title with more than just two or three words. Seems in this day and age simplistic titles are all the rage.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Not that bloody DB5 again! Neat posters though, @FoxRox.

I can't take credit for making them, but thanks! They were my favorites I found for those titles.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think 007 in New York is an awful title. Risico isn’t great but is far superior and at least competent
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think 007 in New York is an awful title. Risico isn’t great but is far superior and at least competent
    Thank you.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    5Yqss7L.jpg
    This one gets my vote! Hell of a poster. And no, I've no problem with the DB5 just as I don't have a problem with the PPK.
    I've no problem with the DB5
    You're not sick of seeing the DB5? In SF I was like, "Okay, we only saw it 2 films ago, but whatever. Cool to see the machine guns in action again, and then ultimately get blown up."
    I didn't care to see it at all in SP, it has worn out its welcome with me now, I'm afraid. Perhaps it would've been more of a statement for Bond and Maddy to drive off in the DB10, with 'music enabled for 007' flashing across the LCD screen as the Bond theme plays in the background. Even though he nicked the car, he did capture Blofeld, so he deserved the DB10 by the end of the film.

As for the PPK, does anyone actually have an issue with that? Whether he has it, the P99, or another Walther doesn't bother me - but he should always revert back to the PPK.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I've no problem with the DB5
    You're not sick of seeing the DB5? In SF I was like, "Okay, we only saw it 2 films ago, but whatever. Cool to see the machine guns in action again, and then ultimately get blown up."
    I didn't care to see it at all in SP, it has worn out its welcome with me now, I'm afraid. Perhaps it would've been more of a statement for Bond and Maddy to drive off in the DB10, with 'music enabled for 007' flashing across the LCD screen as the Bond theme plays in the background. Even though he nicked the car, he did capture Blofeld, so he deserved the DB10 by the end of the film.

As for the PPK, does anyone actually have an issue with that? Whether he has it, the P99, or another Walther doesn't bother me - but he should always revert back to the PPK.
    Thing is, Q, I've never had a problem with the DB5 because it has become Bond significant car over the decades and to me it's a timeless beauty of machinery as opposed to, let's say, the '69 DBS and the subsequent cars up until BMW Z8 Roadster arrived. I do see every other Bond car as one-offs who will fade away in time, but the DB5 doesn't fit the bill for me just as the PPK does not. It's part of the character just as the tuxedo has become to be that. The general public also views it that way. Only the purist Bond fans here - whom I mean no offense - are getting tired of it. Personally, I've never been a fan of the DB10. It just looks ugly to me, as opposed to its successor, the DB11.
    I love the DB5 and the other Astons, but it can get to be too much. We've now seen them in every single film since GE if you include it showing up in thermal at the end of TWINE. Give us something different - even a Bond film with no car (MR). I know this is unlikely to happen, but as Mallory would say, "for the sake of variety".
    I wouldn't mind Bond given a new automobile by the Q-Branch every time (or at least once in a while). But, in my opinion, the DB5 should be stalled as Bond's personal vehicle. It doesn't have to appear in every film. But, I would rather it stays as Bond's personal transportation.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I still like "007 in New York"
    Birdleson wrote: »

I like that one too!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    007 IN NEW YORK is a throwback to the types of titles used in 1930's/ 1940's mysteries: THE SAINT IN NEW YORK, CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON,
    SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON, and for that alone, I kind of like it. Very old school, though not particularly Bondian.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    007 in New York I could actually see being a debut title for the next Bond actor. I just don’t think it’d work very well for Craig. Risico is the one I like that seems most Craig-esque I think.
    I think 007 in New York is an awful title.

Well done @JamesBondKenya. A rare voice of sanity amongst an outbreak of utter lunacy.

007 In New York is an appalling title. Uninspired, lazy, none of the poetry of a good Bond title. Even The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift or Police Academy: Mission to Moscow have more lyrical beauty and inventiveness.

It is exactly what it was designed to be - a hastily thought up title to a short newspaper article Fleming bashed out by way of apology for Bond not appearing to like the place in LALD.

I'd genuinely prefer both Mendes and Newman back and M to be on leave a la FYEO and Rory stepping into the breach than see this war crime of a title foisted upon the world.

Thankfully I can console myself that however bone dry EON's well of inspiration seems to be at the moment I'm certain there are at least enough drops of creativity left that this is a non starter.
    I love the DB5 and the other Astons, but it can get to be too much. We've now seen them in every single film since GE if you include it showing up in thermal at the end of TWINE. Give us something different - even a Bond film with no car (MR). I know this is unlikely to happen, but as Mallory would say, "for the sake of variety".

Not just MR.

In fact until 95 the majority of films didn't feature a Bond car.

FRWL - Bentley (though barely glimpsed so I don't really count it)
    GF - DB5
    TB - DB5
    OHMSS - DBS
    TSWLM - Lotus
    FYEO - Lotus
    TLD - Vantage

That's 7 in 16 films (and only 4 cars with gadgets in 16).

Since 95 which, lets face it is the start of what might be termed the fanwankery era, we have had:

GE - DB5 and Z3
    TND - DB5 and 750i
    TWINE - Z8 and DB5
    DAD - Vanquish
    CR - DBS and DB5
    QOS - DBS
    SF - DB5
    SP - DB10 and DB5

We are now up to a ludicrous rate of 13 cars in 8 films (and 5 gadget cars in 8).

The phrase 'flogged to death' leaps to mind. But they are so entrenched in the modern homage culture I don't expect anything to change.

In 87 when we got the gadget laden Vantage I was thrilled because it had been so long since the Lotus. Now when there's a gadget car I'm just bored and think 'That's another big Bond action sequence wasted on an unoriginal premise' and I wistfully recall the halcyon Glen era which had the best and most inventive action of the series and only felt the need to wheel out the gadget car once in 5 films.

I'll be ecstatic if B25 is not titled 007 in New York and there is no Bond car. My expectations are so low at the moment I would settle for that but realise only one is likely to come to fruition. Thankfully I'd rather have the car than the title so at least there is some solace in that as I'm fairly certain EON aren't creatively moribund enough to use that title.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,113
    I just pray to the lord in the clouds that we get a PROPER reboot after #25. Back to basic, fun and frolics. Let Mendes back in to finish what he started (they aren't really abandoning the timeline now, are they, let's be honest?), Send Craig out on a sour note (curse of every Bond actor) and then get to work actually updating the franchise from the bones up. I'm fed up being stuck in 2006 still after 10 years. We need some energy and inspiration back again ASAP. We're in serious danger of jumping the shark for the last time.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    TripAces wrote: »
    Schindler's List is a better film than Jaws.
    No it isn´t. And I´ve got to know, because I´m no moron.

In the context of our times, it would sound like Bond has gone Spiderman.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Not just MR.

In fact until 95 the majority of films didn't feature a Bond car.

FRWL - Bentley (though barely glimpsed so I don't really count it)
    GF - DB5
    TB - DB5
    OHMSS - DBS
    TSWLM - Lotus
    FYEO - Lotus
    TLD - Vantage

That's 7 in 16 films (and only 4 cars with gadgets in 16).

Since 95 which, lets face it is the start of what might be termed the fanwankery era, we have had:

GE - DB5 and Z3
    TND - DB5 and 750i
    TWINE - Z8 and DB5
    DAD - Vanquish
    CR - DBS and DB5
    QOS - DBS
    SF - DB5
    SP - DB10 and DB5

We are now up to a ludicrous rate of 13 cars in 8 films (and 5 gadget cars in 8).

The phrase 'flogged to death' leaps to mind. But they are so entrenched in the modern homage culture I don't expect anything to change.

In 87 when we got the gadget laden Vantage I was thrilled because it had been so long since the Lotus. Now when there's a gadget car I'm just bored and think 'That's another big Bond action sequence wasted on an unoriginal premise' and I wistfully recall the halcyon Glen era which had the best and most inventive action of the series and only felt the need to wheel out the gadget car once in 5 films.

I'll be ecstatic if B25 is not titled 007 in New York and there is no Bond car. My expectations are so low at the moment I would settle for that but realise only one is likely to come to fruition. Thankfully I'd rather have the car than the title so at least there is some solace in that as I'm fairly certain EON aren't creatively moribund enough to use that title.
    Well said.
    I would like to emphatically add that the bringing back of a Bond car in the past used to be a clear statement against the need for it. The DB5 from GF re-appears in the pts of TB, only to be dumped for the rest of the film. The Lotus in FYEO is quickly done away with before Bond can do much with it. The filmmakers had the inspiration and balls to make it clear to the audience that they don´t need the bloody car for a good Bond film. They had aspirations to build on the past and move on into the future (which ironically can also be said for CR and QoS).
    It was a nice touch in GE when Bond drove the DB5, because Fleming´s Bond also drove an oldtimer. But from then on, it got a little weird.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    BOND 25: NOLAN, RISES http://bit.ly/2BtdgnS

TWO new and solid sources (from US and UK) puts Nolan on the front... We could expect something official around January or February.
    ggl007 wrote: »

TWO new and solid sources (from US and UK) puts Nolan on the front... We could expect something official around January or February.

I would actually believe it. Nolan didn’t have any films planned out after Dunkirk, and he has expressed interest in doing this before. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried; I feel iffy about his style mixing with Bond. We will see about this...
    Glad to see others feel the same way about the Aston overindulgence. Time to give it a rest.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Nolan gets the gig - what I really want is something different in tone to the last two films. Having said that, I've noticed Mendes style being compared to Nolan in the past - and there are similarities - which makes me wonder whether we would actually get that.
    Glad to see others feel the same way about the Aston overindulgence. Time to give it a rest.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Nolan gets the gig - what I really want is something different in tone to the last two films. Having said that, I've noticed Mendes style being compared to Nolan in the past - and there are similarities - which makes me wonder whether we would actually get that.

I would imagine it being somewhat similar to SF and SP for sure. I think Craig’s last should probably be closer to CR and QoS in tone - less humor and very gritty. I appreciated the lighter moments of SP, but I think it’d be more fitting for Bond 25 to be on the darker side. Maybe Nolan can surprise me; I did love his Batman movies.
    Same here. Give me something like CR in tone and colour preferably, and bookend Craig's tenure with a couple of modern classics. As long as there's heaps of adventure and investigative work for Bond to carry out. A memorable score wouldn't go astray, too.
    A memorable score wouldn't go astray, too.
    As long as they don't bring Thomas Newman back to rehash the same absurdity since 2012, I'll be satisfied.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I'm willing to bet Nolan means no Craig so be prepared. It would be my preference anyway (both changes) so I'm absolutely fine with it.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm willing to bet Nolan means no Craig so be prepared. It would be my preference anyway (both changes) so I'm absolutely fine with it.

Whatever the outcome, this is exciting!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Same here. Give me something like CR in tone and colour preferably, and bookend Craig's tenure with a couple of modern classics. As long as there's heaps of adventure and investigative work for Bond to carry out. A memorable score wouldn't go astray, too.

That would require them to go back to Fleming.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Nolan directing Craig's Bond film would be a pretty shocking turn of events. Most of us have always assumed Nolan would want a fresh start. Maybe his take/idea that he has had for years involves Bond's "last mission" or a retired Bond. To be honest, I would prefer Nolan directing the first movie of a new Bond era, but if the last chapter of 007's journey is the story he always wanted to tell, then I'm completely for him directing Bond 25!
    What?? Craig is 100% back.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Then Nolan is not doing it
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While it would be a safe bet to say if Nolan no Craig, it’s not a given.
    talos7 wrote: »
    While it would be a safe bet to say if Nolan no Craig, it’s not a given.
    It's a given as far as I'm concerned and I don't go out on a limb often if at all.

Read my comment above why Nolan directing Craig's last Bond film COULD make sense. What's not happening is Nolan directing from Purvis and Wade's script. So if Nolan is in, P&W are out. (Remember, Peter Morgan was officially announced to write Bond 23 and later got completely replaced.)

Read my comment above why Nolan directing Craig's last Bond film COULD make sense. What's not happening is Nolan directing from Purvis and Wade's script. So if Nolan is in, P&W are out. (Remember, Peter Morgan was officially announced to write Bond 23 and later got completely replaced.)
    I read it. It's not happening. It's one or the other. This is me doing what I don't normally do. Making a statement that I will stand by until the announcement.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Nolan could be co-writing with Pelvis Meal and Jack Wade, wouldn't be a stretch really. As for Craig actually not being back... I'm not sure. We'll see. I can't really imagine Craig the kind of fellow to say he's back on national television, then not go through with it.
    @ggl007 Can you please tell us how reliable your sources are?