No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just posted a news article about the fact that it's now basically a three-horse fight between "Cleopatra" (Sony Pictures), "Dune" (Legendary/Universal) and "Bond 25" (MGM/EON) for winning director Denis Villeneuve first:
    https://www.jamesbond.nl/getouwtrek-om-canadese-filmregisseur-denis-villeneuve/
    I'm afraid I can't understand that, but from what I can glean from his comments elsewhere, Villeneuve doesn't want to lose Dune. It seems like that's the one he's most passionate about. He is a fan of Bond and wants to do it, but only if it won't mean losing Dune. That's my read on it. I'm not sure how he feels about Cleopatra.

It's true to a certain extend yes. But I also think he could wait a bit with "Dune". Villeneuve has openly said that he wanted to distance himself from Sci-Fi a bit after "Blade Runner 2049", so he has a clean, empty mindset for the 'project of his life'.

The advantage of Bond #25 is the fact that such a production is a bit more.....streamlined, has also a lot of creative and helpful input from other crewmembers and the producers.

Having heard him saying Tuesday that he prefers now to decline commenting on Bond 25, but still sees this as "an enormous...enormous honour", makes me think that the negotiations between Barbara/Daniel and Denis Villeneuve are pretty damn serious at this stage.

Regarding "Cleopatra"...that has been a troubled production ever since the SonyLeaks. And Barbara could use some.....'dirt' from that to make sure Denis Villeneuve won't sign up for "Cleopatra".

But again, this is purely guesswork from my side. It'll be a damn exciting thriller to see which film Villeneuve tackles first: Bond, Dune or Cleo.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690
    How can it possibly be a three-horse fight when Villeneuve is already officially attached to 'Dune'? It can only be a 2 horse-fight, between Bond 25 and 'Cleopatra'.

And we all seem to forget that Villeneuve has also officially signed on to direct The Son, so if we include Dune, then it's a four-horse fight.
    How can it possibly be a three-horse fight when Villeneuve is already officially attached to 'Dune'? It can only be a 2 horse-fight, between Bond 25 and 'Cleopatra'.

You are right. I have to rectify. He has indeed signed on for the "Dune"-project. Still, perhaps Villeneuve could delay "Dune" since he's so personally involved in this project.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

You are right. I have to rectify. He has indeed signed on for the "Dune"-project. Still, perhaps Villeneuve could delay "Dune" since he's so personally involved in this project.
    Dune will take time to come together. The issue is scheduling and timing. Bond is set for 2019 and will take a lot of effort to get going (it's a large and time consuming production). Such effort could take away from work on Dune, which also will require tremendous conceptualization. So really, as he's said it just comes down to scheduling of both projects.

Cleopatra is the wild card, and that will depend on what the vision is. It could be a killer film or a complete failure and the same goes for Dune.

Bond is the surest thing of all, and perhaps the least challenging imho.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Couldn t he just put James Bond and Cleopatra in Dune? Problem solved.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690

I think Villeneuve may want to take a break from sci-fi after Blade Runner. ;) So I agree, I'm pretty sure Villeneuve is going to do Bond 25 and then work on 'Dune' once he has it all planned (he did say it's a pet project of his, so he won't start shooting that until his ideas are fully formed).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's exactly what I mentioned earlier. He said he wants to spend a good bit of time reflecting on Dune and formulating ideas for just how the movie will go, which would give him time to tackle B25 or Cleopatra before hand. Though I suppose if he opts for the latter, then B25 is definitely not being helmed by him.
    I got the impression he wants to take some time away, period. He's had a very busy past few years.
  • Not the announcement everyone is hoping for but according to the official Twitter feed, the 007 Store is offering T-shirts at 10 percent off, today only.
  • 10% off t-shirts? Wow, that's sad. Take better care of this property, EON!
    I was just going to say, based on what we've been reading lately this is an area where we are likely to see some dramatic improvements going forward, .e.g milking the cow brand.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited October 2017 Posts: 299
    Pretty tame but more still than I expected tbh.
    Is that it ?!?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Is that it ?!?

I understand your frustration. It seems pretty obvious to me that DV is likely to direct. His recent no comment stance fits with Daniel's evasive comments prior to August.
    Roger Deakins will work on The Goldfinch (directed by John Crowley) next. Filming is expected to start early 2018, which means he could easily do Bond 25 after that if Villeneuve ended up being the director.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    It is offering 10% on al the store
    A few notes.

I don't really see how a sale on 007.com is part of the Bond 25 production timeline. Remember when we used to start new threads for new topics...

Additionally, the prior comments that there are some fans who want a return to Die Another Day filmmaking.. what is the basis for this claim? Where are these people?

Don't worry about your impressions of how Villeneuve is "feeling." He is openly admitting that he may be doing the next Bond movie, which means he is open to the idea of agreeing to the previously announced release date. I don't think he would force Bond to delay, and I think his only gripe is stalling on Dune to do Bond. Cleopatra is probably not a priority for him right now, but it may be for the studio.

I also wouldn't worry about the script or a title song right now. Some sort of initial plot has almost definitely been developed by now. The only way they would start soliciting artists for music is if they were confident in what they have, but we can't know any of this for certain.

The main issue is still a distributor. I wouldn't expect anything else before we find out about distribution.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The title was supposed to be ironic. Surprised to see most didn't get it!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Time for some more pizza recipes?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Time for some more pizza recipes?

Let's-a-go!
    aCLQ5btm.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Put another way, between November 2012 and summer 2014 (in which a treatment, first draft and revisions were delivered), it was decided to shift gears. After the arrival of Purvis & Wade, new drafts were delivered in fall 2014 and again on Dec. 1, 2014. That's more than two years after Logan's hiring was announced.

Still more changes took place after the Dec. 1, 2014 draft.

Yes they still didn't have it in shape. But you can't say *two years* wasn't enough time.

We are talking across each other. LOL. All I am saying is that they needed to delay shooting. Regardless. Right? The script still needed work, and Mendes and co. were rushed into shooting before it was ready. Period. Reports were suggesting in August or September that they were considering pushing back the release date. How/why that didn't happen, who knows. But the film was most definitely rushed into production.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just posted a news article about the fact that it's now basically a three-horse fight between "Cleopatra" (Sony Pictures), "Dune" (Legendary/Universal) and "Bond 25" (MGM/EON) for winning director Denis Villeneuve first:
    https://www.jamesbond.nl/getouwtrek-om-canadese-filmregisseur-denis-villeneuve/

Good piece.

Something tells me that DC's persuasive skills are very good. He talked Mendes into directing not one but two films. He talked Bardem into SF. He talked Waltz into SP. If DC wants DV, I think that's what he'll get.
    God I wish we were back in the Glen era! It's all become way too complicated. Bring back Sir Rog!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Not the announcement everyone is hoping for but according to the official Twitter feed, the 007 Store is offering T-shirts at 10 percent off, today only.

edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Don't worry about your impressions of how Villeneuve is "feeling." He is openly admitting that he may be doing the next Bond movie, which means he is open to the idea of agreeing to the previously announced release date. I don't think he would force Bond to delay, and I think his only gripe is stalling on Dune to do Bond. Cleopatra is probably not a priority for him right now, but it may be for the studio.
    I agree. Dune is the one he seems to want to do the most based on what I can see. I'm sure he'll do it justice and it's quite a creative challenge. He has expressed his enthusiasm for Bond. So the only things standing in the way are The Son (which he will probably also want to do) and Cleopatra (which we don't know his feelings about at present) as well as his stated desire to step back from the hectic schedule he's had recently.
    Getafix wrote: »
    God I wish we were back in the Glen era! It's all become way too complicated. Bring back Sir Rog!

Hahaha that made me chuckle...bravo!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that JAWS T-shirt is a whole lot of awesomeness.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    A few notes.

I don't really see how a sale on 007.com is part of the Bond 25 production timeline. Remember when we used to start new threads for new topics...

Additionally, the prior comments that there are some fans who want a return to Die Another Day filmmaking.. what is the basis for this claim? Where are these people?

I also wouldn't worry about the script or a title song right now. Some sort of initial plot has almost definitely been developed by now. The only way they would start soliciting artists for music is if they were confident in what they have, but we can't know any of this for certain.

The main issue is still a distributor. I wouldn't expect anything else before we find out about distribution.

Right, re: distributor.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Still no bond 25 announcement yet for the people who expected one today
    I expected more than just 10% off a t-shirt. 20% at least.