Parts of Bond Movies that Don't Make Sense

Comments

DB5 wrote:
    "This is just me thinking at random, but perhaps with all of Klebb's slapping and kicking he failed to notice Tatiana's hesitant nature because he was so focused on trying to keep Klebb away."

Yes, in the film it's obvious that all of Bond's concentration is on keeping Klebb from kicking him with the poison dagger in her shoe. But that still doesn't explain why Tatiana doesn't yell "Oh My God James, it's Rosa Klebb!" when she spots her as the maid in the hotel room. Assuming that Bond never told her that Klebb was in fact working for SPECTRE, it's obvious that Tanya is still very much a Russian, although you'd think she'd be curious as to why Klebb is stealing the Lektor back after being told that the purpose of the mission was "to give false information to the enemy."

That was my point exactly. Why is Tatiana hesitating at all? I recall that she calls Klebb a "horrible woman" right after she kills her. If she thinks so lowly of her, why does she debate whether or not to help her? I suppose Bond may think that Tatiana was held at gunpoint when Klebb entered. It's a strange scene for sure.

Yeah now I definitely think it's a weird scene. To tell you the truth, I've never second-guessed this particular scene nor even recognized that it's a bit fishy, that is, until now. Good night, we could spend a whole day pondering just this one scene.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236

Hi all, i am new so just wanted to say hello first.
    some thing which has never made sense to me is in TWINE, i want to know do the men on the submarine who are helping Renard know what his and elektra's intentions are and that they are going to die, because i know renard is dying and he is sacraficing himself for her but what about the other men on the sub are they planning to get off somehow or just have a deathwish? it has always bugged me.
    Thanks
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They are all second rate henchmen. Their faces scream WE WILL DIE.
    It's surely been mentioned before but how does Bond manage to pull the 'plane out of it's dive in the Goldeneye opening and escape in one piece, common sense dictates if you watch it again, it's simply not possible, even if it is only movie fiction

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My internet has been out for a few days now, so I spent it watching movies. I happened upon DAD, and I know I had a ton of questions to ask about it, but I've forgotten them all by now.

@Baltimore_007, because it's a movie. Of course, if you tried that, a falling human would not be able to catch a plane falling full speed into the bottom of a cliff, but that's why it works: it's merely a movie.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Why in FRWL does Kronsteen say, "As an added refinement, I think SPECTRE would have the chance of a personal revenge for the killing of our operative... Dr No. Because the man the British will almost certainly use on a mission of this sort would be their agent James Bond." - when surely the plot is set up with Bond as the protagonist, they don't give MI6 the option of using anyone else!
    Still my favourite Bond movie though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Why in FRWL does Kronsteen say, "As an added refinement, I think SPECTRE would have the chance of a personal revenge for the killing of our operative... Dr No. Because the man the British will almost certainly use on a mission of this sort would be their agent James Bond." - when surely the plot is set up with Bond as the protagonist, they don't give MI6 the option of using anyone else!
    Still my favourite Bond movie though.

Why would they use anyone else? Bond is a top notch agent and has history with the kind of dangers he'd need to face, and on dealing with SPECTRE.
    Watching TLD last night and something stuck me, and it's something I've never been aware of before, but when Bond is in Vienna with Karla having fled from Bratislava on the pretence of meeting up with Koskof - who is in Tangiers at that time, Brad explains that Pushkin 'wants the money back', a further inducement of killing another British agent is suggested, and then Necros turns up in Vienna and kills Saunders. Did they know Bond was there, and why was Saunders chosen as the target if they didn't? Or have I got it wong and missed something?
    Still one of my absolute favourite Bond films. 'Go James.'
    Watching TLD last night and something stuck me, and it's something I've never been aware of before, but when Bond is in Vienna with Karla having fled from Bratislava on the pretence of meeting up with Koskof - who is in Tangiers at that time, Brad explains that Pushkin 'wants the money back', a further inducement of killing another British agent is suggested, and then Necros turns up in Vienna and kills Saunders. Did they know Bond was there, and why was Saunders chosen as the target if they didn't? Or have I got it wong and missed something?

Oh dear, when it comes to figuring out the plot of The Living Daylights, I just give up and say whatever, it's Bond, there's no need for me to waste brain cells trying to justify what is happening. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! Hahaha.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:

Oh dear, when it comes to figuring out the plot of The Living Daylights, I just give up and say whatever, it's Bond, there's no need for me to waste brain cells trying to justify what is happening. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! Hahaha.

See, I don't find myself able to let plot points slip, even in Bond films, because there are plenty of great examples of films in the series that had spectacular plots instead of meaningless piffle throughout.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland

Hmmm... Good point. They probably worked out where Bond was based on all the destruction he made getting out of Czechoslovakia and into Austria. Then Necros trailed Saunders knowing that Bond would make contact with him.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    In You Only Live Twice doesn't Bond blow up some of the astronauts he helped save earlier in the film? Bond attempts to board the spacecraft with those he rescued after they took them out and got into their uniforms.

Do I have this right, or is it me?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    In You Only Live Twice doesn't Bond blow up some of the astronauts he helped save earlier in the film? Bond attempts to board the spacecraft with those he rescued after they took them out and got into their uniforms.

I think you might be right about that, but from what I remember, I'm pretty sure once Bond rescued them from the jail cell, they helped him get into the uniform and then stayed behind, because I remember one of them clapping him on the shoulder for good luck. I think the astronauts in the Bird One rocket were SPECTRE thugs.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    00Beast wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think you might be right about that, but from what I remember, I'm pretty sure once Bond rescued them from the jail cell, they helped him get into the uniform and then stayed behind, because I remember one of them clapping him on the shoulder for good luck. I think the astronauts in the Bird One rocket were SPECTRE thugs.

Yes, he does. But only to save the world from WWIII.

The nonsensical part of YOLT is how a camera films the various spacecraft: "You can watch it on TV."
    echo wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes, he does. But only to save the world from WWIII.

The nonsensical part of YOLT is how a camera films the various spacecraft: "You can watch it on TV."

Hahahaha, that's true. I tend to not notice little things like that, but nevertheless, that's quite a terrible error when you think about it. You really can't excuse that one!
  • tqbtqb
    How about Moore looking 80 in AVTAK
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Well, for one thing, Koskov was no fool. I'm sure that he had figured out that Bond was on his trail after Kara had gone missing from Bratislava in such spectacular fashion. She was his girlfriend after all, I'm sure he kept tabs on her, considering she was involved in the fake defection.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Chevron wrote:

Hmmm... Good point. They probably worked out where Bond was based on all the destruction he made getting out of Czechoslovakia and into Austria. Then Necros trailed Saunders knowing that Bond would make contact with him.

The whole smiert spionam thing seems a lot of effort to go to just to kill Pushkin for poking his nose into their business. Unless I'm mistaken their whole scheme (the drugs and diamonds apart) is to con the British into killing Pushkin for them. As there doesnt seem to be a political motive to stitch up the British for Pushkins murder or to frame Bond then why not just have Necros take Pushkin out with a sniper rifle or, like he almost does, at some public event like the trade conference?

00Beast wrote:
    echo wrote:

Hahahaha, that's true. I tend to not notice little things like that, but nevertheless, that's quite a terrible error when you think about it. You really can't excuse that one!

Thats just classic YOLT. Even if Blofelds scheme is a success the money would probably only be enough to cover his initial outlay - hollowing out a volcano and constructing a massive hangar complete with monorail etc, funding a working, cutting edge space programme in the mid 60s when docking was still in its infancy, pointless satellites to film his spaceship - the overheads are in the tens of billions. And thats not to mention that his profits would be non existent as the day after Armageddon exactly what would his oddles of cash from the Chinese be worth? The guy is properly insane. Compared to the plans of FRWL,TB and OHMSS which are far more viable if all youre after is a quick buck (which is all I thought SPECTRE was ever after), Ernst really has lost the plot here.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Chevron wrote:

The whole smiert spionam thing seems a lot of effort to go to just to kill Pushkin for poking his nose into their business. Unless I'm mistaken their whole scheme (the drugs and diamonds apart) is to con the British into killing Pushkin for them. As there doesnt seem to be a political motive to stitch up the British for Pushkins murder or to frame Bond then why not just have Necros take Pushkin out with a sniper rifle or, like he almost does, at some public event like the trade conference?

Misdirection I guess. The Russians' preoccupation with the fact their intelligence leader was assassinated by a British Government assassin would allow Koskov and Whitaker's plan to go under the radar. Only after Bond goes after Karla instead of killing Pushkin straight away do they consider killing him themselves, out of lack of choice. There's no political motive, but political consequences. I suppose it doesn't stand up to extreme nitpicking but in the simplest terms, it makes a good deal of sense.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,762
    Chevron wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    echo wrote:

Thats just classic YOLT. Even if Blofelds scheme is a success the money would probably only be enough to cover his initial outlay - hollowing out a volcano and constructing a massive hangar complete with monorail etc, funding a working, cutting edge space programme in the mid 60s when docking was still in its infancy, pointless satellites to film his spaceship - the overheads are in the tens of billions. And thats not to mention that his profits would be non existent as the day after Armageddon exactly what would his oddles of cash from the Chinese be worth? The guy is properly insane. Compared to the plans of FRWL,TB and OHMSS which are far more viable if all youre after is a quick buck (which is all I thought SPECTRE was ever after), Ernst really has lost the plot here.

You know I hadn't really thought of that either, but you're right. I knew Blofeld wanted to spark war with the USA and the USSR, and I always do forget that he was funding the Chinese, because that one little scene with his financers always goes over my head due to its relative quickness and small worth in the rest of the movie. That is bizzare when you think about it, what would his money be worth anyway? He already has an intense villain hideout away from the cares of the world where virtually nobody can find him (except 007) and if war did strike between them, that would only create further turmoil for attempting to use his cash. Wow, now I find tremendously ridiculous plot holes with YOLT.

EDIT: My post got mixed up inside of the quote

Well, for one thing, Koskov was no fool. I'm sure that he had figured out that Bond was on his trail after Kara had gone missing from Bratislava in such spectacular fashion. She was his girlfriend after all, I'm sure he kept tabs on her, considering she was involved in the fake defection.

Yes, but as far as Koskov is aware Bond killed Kara, and if he did know she was still alive and with Bond, why is he so surprised to receive her phone call at Wittaker's?
    "I'll buy you a delicatessen, in stainless steel!"
    Being quick, the line I believe was a reference to the Italian American community of New York years ago who sold commerce on trays. Having your own shop was a sign of prosperity or making a name for one's self, whereas when selling delicatessen on trays, they had to be put on stainless steel for hygiene reasons. Therefore, any offers up front, and no hidden agendas. As Blofeld had been involved in the killing of Bonds wife some years ealier, he (oo7) was not going to taken in by such a plea. That's about the long and short of it, but still didn't need to be included..
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited July 2012 Posts: 858
    About the question of Mathis' "DB5":

http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/images/QoS_0975.jpg

Mistral_Real1.jpg
    It's a rare Maserati Mistral.
    Somewhat makes sense, as Mathis looks like someone who enjoys the finer things in life. goes with the neighbourhood, as well ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,994
    "I'll buy you a delicatessen, in stainless steel!"

Is it a slam on McClory? That makes the most sense, although I'll be damned if I understand what it means.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Being quick, the line I believe was a reference to the Italian American community of New York years ago who sold commerce on trays. Having your own shop was a sign of prosperity or making a name for one's self, whereas when selling delicatessen on trays, they had to be put on stainless steel for hygiene reasons. Therefore, any offers up front, and no hidden agendas. As Blofeld had been involved in the killing of Bonds wife some years ealier, he (oo7) was not going to taken in by such a plea. That's about the long and short of it, but still didn't need to be included..

Can you explain that again old chap as I think I'm even more baffled now.

Can you explain that again old chap as I think I'm even more baffled now.

Make that two baffled men! I knew about the background of New York's Italian community, and I had also heard that it was more to do with gangsters in that area, but as far as the "hidden agendas" is concerned, you've got me mixed up there. Clarification please! Hahaha.

Italian Communities - Ok

Having an Own shop or premises, seen as more prosperous - Ok

Others had to sell merchandise on Trays apparently, when there was fine foods involved, i.e. (our delicatessen), they were placed on (Stainless Steel) trays for the benefits of hygiene. So when they offered their goods, the people who made a purchase could see what they were purchasing essentially

Bond had Blofeld in a bit of a sticky position, he had killed Bonds wife, Blofeld made a plea to keep him alive by stating basically 'I am expensive foods on a clean tray' or even 'I wish to be honest'

That's about the size of it I'm afraid. I agree, it is a bit confusing, all they had to do was leave the damn line out of the final production :-<
    @Baltimore_007: Yeah, a line that confusing to understand the point should just be left alone. If the point can be made clearer by Blofeld saying "I'm telling the truth!" or "Believe me!" then I think that would have been the better route to take. Better yet, why don't we leave Blofeld completely out of the PTS and just keep his fate from DAF as a question.