Parts of Bond Movies that Don't Make Sense

Comments

Like Grant said, he would do it his way. Slow and painful. That moment is his downfall, like many killers, when your ego gets into the equation. Grant thought he had Bond beat, but Bond had the brains AND brawn over him.

Grant did not strike me as a stupid person, especially in the manner in which he kept Bond alive in Istanbul and the way he learned about Bond's meeting with Nash in Zagreb, before assuming the latter's identity. This strikes me as sloppy writing on the screenwriters' part . . . and on Fleming's part.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Just why did he want it slow and painful? He didn't know him personally did he?
    I feel like if the situation was reversed, Bond would have killed him quickly
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Back to Diamonds - apart from the whole film not making much sense - the scene where Bond disguises his voice to sound like Saxby while talking to Blofeld (with some awful genius/tough Bond references), Blofeld tells Bond/Saxby to dispose of WW. While Bond's rescuing WW, Saxby turns up to kill them. How the hell did he know?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DRush76 wrote:
    Like Grant said, he would do it his way. Slow and painful. That moment is his downfall, like many killers, when your ego gets into the equation. Grant thought he had Bond beat, but Bond had the brains AND brawn over him.

Grant did not strike me as a stupid person, especially in the manner in which he kept Bond alive in Istanbul and the way he learned about Bond's meeting with Nash in Zagreb, before assuming the latter's identity. This strikes me as sloppy writing on the screenwriters' part . . . and on Fleming's part.

It's not a writer's fault as much as it is characterization. Grant was smart when it came to following SPECTRE's plan for him, but when he ventured out and personally took over getting the Lektor from Bond he was unrestrained and could handle the situation how he wished. That is where the egocentricities come in, and his eventual failure. I mean, why would you give him a last request? Obviously Bond was trying something. Then is the moment prior where Grant is exposed for his lacking knowledge on wines. His failures where on his own part, and for his own naivety in moments where he thought he had Bond beat. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Because he's a "homicidal paranoiac"?
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    If they ever try such a character again, I'd love to see someone who wasn't psycho-- you know, someone as level headed as Bond. Basically just like Grant except for that one little 'ego' flaw he had at the end.
    That would be cool to see, and quite a tough match!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love seeing Bond have an even match: kind of like Trevelyan - same training, same experiences, only fighting for the opposite side.
  • DB5DB5

SPECTRE's goal is not just to steal the Lektor and sell it back to the Russians, it's also to kill Bond as revenge for Bond's killing of Dr. No. When Kronsteen mentions this Blofeld replies "Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one." This is why Klebb chooses Grant, his file indicates he's exactly the kind of "homocidal paranoic" that won't kill Bond until Bond crawls over and kisses Grant's foot. But Grant is also greedy, his downfall is his desire for the additional gold sovereigns in Nash's attache case.

• DB5DB5
    "Here's another question. Why didn't Bond tranquilize Professor Dent in "DR. NO"? He could have tranquilize the professor, have government authorities search Dent's body for any cyanide pills or cigarettes before interrogating the prisoners for any info on Dr. No. Instead, Bond killed him in cold blood . . . like an idiot."

Perhaps because Dent had arranged the killing of Strangways and Strangways' secretary. And you just don't arrange the killing of two MI6 agents and get away with it. Plus, "It's a Smith and Wesson. And you've had your six," is such an incredibly delicious line!
    About 007 being gunned down outside Osatos......wouldn't people expect yakuza was behind it ?
    CrabKey wrote:
    Not sure why Stromberg wastes a helicopter and a pilot on two scientists minutes after dumping a girl into a shark tank. Why not throw all three to the sharks?

Cuz "the funeral took place at sea" line gives you a chuckle....it does to me anyway lulz

Why did Dalton steal those shades from outside the store when he clearly had the money to purchase them?

And touring around a cocaine factory, breathing in and no side effects etc?
    Back to Diamonds - apart from the whole film not making much sense - the scene where Bond disguises his voice to sound like Saxby while talking to Blofeld (with some awful genius/tough Bond references), Blofeld tells Bond/Saxby to dispose of WW. While Bond's rescuing WW, Saxby turns up to kill them. How the hell did he know?

That's a good question, I've never figured that one out either. My best assumption is that he saw Blofeld face-to-face sometime after that, and having it brought up in conversation, just took his word for it and went to do the job. Either that or there's a deleted scene where Saxby spies on them fixing the phony call, hahaha.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    00Beast wrote:

That's a good question, I've never figured that one out either. My best assumption is that he saw Blofeld face-to-face sometime after that, and having it brought up in conversation, just took his word for it and went to do the job. Either that or there's a deleted scene where Saxby spies on them fixing the phony call, hahaha.

or it is just lazy film-making, 'hay, who cares about the plot, just fill it with action and silly stuff and no-one will notice!'
    I don't think Bond stole those shades , it's just edited that way imo.....we just don't see him pay for them as it's not really nessesary (think AVTAK when they carry the gas cans inside city hall , that was cut)
    00Beast wrote:

or it is just lazy film-making, 'hay, who cares about the plot, just fill it with action and silly stuff and no-one will notice!'

A trademark of the Guy Hamilton Bond movies, hahaha. Even though I really like DAF, LALD, and even TMWTGG, it is so inevitably true.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 669
    I've read through this whole thread and haven't seen this mentioned, but if I missed it, then I apologize: But I'm always annoyed at the beginning of Moonraker (actually, I'm annoyed by ALL of Moonraker, but that's beside the point) during the free fall out of the plane. WHY is Jaws on the plane? The events of TSWLM are over and Jaws has no reason to be after Bond. And Drax doesn't hire him until halfway through the movie. So what's he doing on the plane?

I dislike Moonraker, but I do feel that if Jaws were taken out of that sequence, it might have my vote for the all-time great James Bond PTS.
    I've read through this whole thread and haven't seen this mentioned, but if I missed it, then I apologize: But I'm always annoyed at the beginning of Moonraker (actually, I'm annoyed by ALL of Moonraker, but that's beside the point) during the free fall out of the plane. WHY is Jaws on the plane? The events of TSWLM are over and Jaws has no reason to be after Bond. And Drax doesn't hire him until halfway through the movie. So what's he doing on the plane?

I dislike Moonraker, but I do feel that if Jaws were taken out of that sequence, it might have my vote for the all-time great James Bond PTS.

I hear you, Jaws wasn't quite necessary in the PTS. I was quite content with Bond duking it out with the airplane pilot. And you're right, it is weird that he was on the plane in the first place, unless he was a part of the "African Job" which M refers to moments before, and was seeking his revenge. If not, he could be seeking his revenge for the events of TSWLM, although that's a far stretch. An even more baffling question, which someone on here asked a while ago, is where was Jaws when Bond fought the pilot? Hiding in the airplane bathroom?

I'm guessing the pliot hired him for muscle.
    My main bone of contention is how Jaws even managed to be on a 'plane so small and not go undetected - Bond was on the same small aircraft and wasn't aware of his presence - watch the teaser again next time, what a load of chicken litter

Yes, I do agree, Moonraker could of been the best pre credits sequence ever if not for Kiel, they meant it as a surprise, but it just turned out to be an embarrassment. The flapping of arms and falling on to the circus tent to god awful music, (of course he escapes without injury), it really spoils an otherwise damn good movie :-<
    00Beast and Baltimore_007, you both make a very good point, which I had never actually even considered: Where was Jaws the whole time Bond was making out with the woman and then getting in the fistfight? How could you hide JAWS on a tiny plane? Nick Nack, maybe...but Jaws? No.
    00Beast and Baltimore_007, you both make a very good point, which I had never actually even considered: Where was Jaws the whole time Bond was making out with the woman and then getting in the fistfight? How could you hide JAWS on a tiny plane? Nick Nack, maybe...but Jaws? No.

Precisely, it just doesn't equate any way you look at it. Let's say Bond had to take a leak on the plane. I very highly doubt that Jaws would have been able to hide in such a confined space. He'd take up the entire bathroom standing up!
    I have a question regarding TWINE - now, I haven't seen the film in some time, so I don't recall how the upcoming scene between Bond and Elektra pans out, or if it answers my question, but I figured I would ask in case I forget.

Why is Bond shocked when Renard recites the quote that Elektra told him earlier in the film? Renard was involved in the kidnapping, so why would it be mind-blowing that he knows it? Granted, it plays out in the twist later on in the film, but perhaps Renard overheard it and used it to trick Bond. He didn't know that Elektra was involved in her father's death at this point, so what is it that sets Bond off? Perhaps he didn't take into consideration that he may have overheard it, and he just assumes Elektra and Renard are in it together, and he ends up being correct?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I have a question regarding TWINE - now, I haven't seen the film in some time, so I don't recall how the upcoming scene between Bond and Elektra pans out, or if it answers my question, but I figured I would ask in case I forget.

Why is Bond shocked when Renard recites the quote that Elektra told him earlier in the film? Renard was involved in the kidnapping, so why would it be mind-blowing that he knows it? Granted, it plays out in the twist later on in the film, but perhaps Renard overheard it and used it to trick Bond. He didn't know that Elektra was involved in her father's death at this point, so what is it that sets Bond off? Perhaps he didn't take into consideration that he may have overheard it, and he just assumes Elektra and Renard are in it together, and he ends up being correct?

Oh man, you've blown my mind with this question! Nice one Crease! This is certainly curious, yes indeed. I would assume that what you said in your last sentence is right, that he just made the blind assumption without thinking about it that Elektra and Renard had to have some sort of deeper history than just captive and captor.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,490
    @00Beast, why, thank you! That's the only thing I can think of; as Renard speaks of her - such as "breaking her in" - his face emits gloating, but he just has the appearance of rubbing in his face that he turned Elektra from captive to lover. That, mixed with the fact that Bond didn't consider Elektra speaking the quote in passing to be a possibility, that he locks on to the thought, and inevitable fact, that Elektra and Renard are in it together.

EDIT: After seeing Elektra and Bond's confrontation after he knocks out Gabor, he accuses her of stealing the line from Renard. So, perhaps that was what ran through his mind - it would be pointless for Elektra to mutter out a quote such as that while being a captive, and when she heard Renard use it, she took a liking to it. But, in Bond's mind, it would be weird to quote someone who kidnapped you...unless Stockholm syndrome set in and you fell in love with said captor.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2012 Posts: 16,331

If you look closely to the right when the pilot is coming out and handing the gun to the lady, you can see Jaws left leg in the co-pilot seat.

I took a screencap!
    wherejawsis.jpg

Never saw that before I don't think, but even so, from Moore's (Bond) vantage point I still fail to see how we could of noticed him, and Jaws has the abillity to fly a plane also? (we presume it is him)

Furthermore, from the shot you presented and if you think back, the guy with the pistol goes to the control panels (where Jaws is supposed to be), and shoots out the instruments - and lo and behold - there is nobody there

Moore has a birds eye view of all that goes on (you remember him sitting there looking on) - and a fight ensues for control of the pistol and subsequent parachutes (Enjoy your flight etc)

Suddenly after Moore pushes the pistol guy out the 'plane and leans out, Jaws appears out of nowhere i.e. he simply vanished into thin air from sitting at the control deck to standing behind Moore and pushing him out the emergency door. If you look at the above and remember the sequence in question, there is no way in hell Jaws could of moved from the control panels and sneaked up on Moore without being seen, or in other words, he simply vanished into thin air at the flight controls

(mental exhaustion) ~O) Either way, it doesn't make sense..
    Here's one, which might have been mentioned already: In TSWLM, Bond and Anya take the train to go from Egypt to Sardinia ? Why not take a plane ? When there are three international airports there ?
    TWINE is full of problems in this respect. When Elektra asks Bond to stay, and Bond clearly says he needs to protect her against whoever is after her, why does he get up and go? She's just left exposed and unprotected.
    @Gerard If you had some free time with Barbara Bach and a travel journey, would you go by the quickest way?, what I mean is, a rail journey does last a lot longer and that's probably what Moore's Bond was shooting for, think of all that extra time and you can have your own space too, Mr Bond was quite smart in that respect, I would of done the same thing in 1977

Maybe if it had of been the following release and a trip with Lois Chiles, he would of travelled by Concorde and have it over with as quick as possible, but it's one line of thought