Parts of Bond Movies that Don't Make Sense

Comments

I really get irritated with Blofeld sometimes (just while we're at it)

First, they should of killed him off in 1971, (why wasn't he wearing a neck brace) and (why did he have a full head of hair), and lo and behold they wait 12 years for an ambiguous return, Blofeld has his brace back on, loss of hair returns, and plays around with a remote control helicopter and gets dropped down a chimney stack, just after some silly lines that make little sense to the casual viewer, all they had to do what omit him from that years release. Lo and behold there was even talk about bringing him back for Skyfall or any subsequent releases thereafter

Bottom line is, Blofeld died in Diamonds, the character is archaic and outdated, he has no place in 21st Century Bond.... I will be genuinely irritated if they do decided to bring the character back, be it Blofelds son or whatever they do...... Just let it go!

:-L
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think I saw in an interview MGW said that Blofeld and SPECTRE weren't coming back and that Quantum is there new evil organization for starting fresh new exciting stories.
    I do hope that is the case. Blofeld and Spectre belong in the 1960s and have no place in the series now from a 21st Century perspective or part of a Craig package. I do hope they keep to their word
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Italian Communities - Ok

Having an Own shop or premises, seen as more prosperous - Ok

Others had to sell merchandise on Trays apparently, when there was fine foods involved, i.e. (our delicatessen), they were placed on (Stainless Steel) trays for the benefits of hygiene. So when they offered their goods, the people who made a purchase could see what they were purchasing essentially

Bond had Blofeld in a bit of a sticky position, he had killed Bonds wife, Blofeld made a plea to keep him alive by stating basically 'I am expensive foods on a clean tray' or even 'I wish to be honest'

I appreciate the effort Baltimore but this still is the most ludicrous line to be allowed into the final cut of a film in history (well maybe apart from 'Yo mamma' but at least that made sense).

I just went for a google and came up with this which backs up your claims:

This line was mentioned in Cubby's autobiography WHEN THE SNOW MELTS. It refers to Italian mafia members offering this as a bribe to get something in exchange. A delicatessen in stainless steel was and still is the top of the line quality. Simply put, your food is better prepared on a surface that is easily cleaned and will not have bacteria clinging to it. Unlike a wooden cutting board or other surfaces. Also, keep in mind that many vendors during the early 1900s sold their food on the streets of New York in carts. If someone had a shoppe or delicatessen, they were obviously doing very well.

For years everyone from John Glen to Michael Wilson had no idea where this line came from. It is finally revealed that Cubby was the inspiration for having it in the film. A personal touch so to speak - even though many of us never got the joke.

Seems rather self indulgent by Cubby to slip in lines that no one apart from the people that lived in his street would have any comprehension of what it meant. I cant believe nobody asked 'Cubby wtf does that mean?'

Maybe he didnt tell anyone and just slipped it on the soundtrack at the last minute as I'm pretty sure you dont see the actors face as he says it.

Perhaps new boy director Glen didnt have the balls to say anything. No way Harry would have let this under the radar.
    I really get irritated with Blofeld sometimes (just while we're at it)

First, they should of killed him off in 1971, (why wasn't he wearing a neck brace) and (why did he have a full head of hair), and lo and behold they wait 12 years for an ambiguous return, Blofeld has his brace back on, loss of hair returns, and plays around with a remote control helicopter and gets dropped down a chimney stack, just after some silly lines that make little sense to the casual viewer, all they had to do what omit him from that years release. Lo and behold there was even talk about bringing him back for Skyfall or any subsequent releases thereafter

Bottom line is, Blofeld died in Diamonds, the character is archaic and outdated, he has no place in 21st Century Bond.... I will be genuinely irritated if they do decided to bring the character back, be it Blofelds son or whatever they do...... Just let it go!

I'm with you! It was quite unncecessary and ridiculous to bring Blofeld back for the PTS of For Your Eyes Only, because that only raised further questions to what we already didn't fully know from Diamonds Are Forever. I agree that it was also dumb to bring him back in DAF without a neck brace (overlooking this crucial point, really?) and with a full head of hair. Did he call the '70s version of Bosley? Hahaha. They really went wacko with Blofeld after 1969, and it seriously hurt the character.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Gerard wrote:
    Here's one, which might have been mentioned already: In TSWLM, Bond and Anya take the train to go from Egypt to Sardinia ? Why not take a plane ? When there are three international airports there ?

Never mind that. Sardinia is an island. How do you take a train to an island?
    Same goes with LALD, I've said it before, if the last we saw of them was on San Monique, where was the train going to, around in circles for sixteen hours ?. One must assume they made it back to the US mainland and were heading for somewhere. Unless it was an underwater train that travelled through tunnels below the ocean, that passed through countryside before they reached the sea, take the Channel Tunnel that links the UK and France for example, but it seems highly unlikely that would of been the case in either 1973 or 1977 and for where they were and their respective destinations
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Same goes with LALD, I've said it before, if the last we saw of them was on San Monique, where was the train going to, around in circles for sixteen hours ?. One must assume they made it back to the US mainland and were heading for somewhere. Unless it was an underwater train that travelled through tunnels below the ocean, that passed through countryside before they reached the sea, take the Channel Tunnel that links the UK and France for example, but it seems highly unlikely that would of been the case in either 1973 or 1977 and for where they were and their respective destinations

I've always assumed that they went with Quarrel and Felix on the boat from San Monique back to New Orleans or Florida and then took the train to New York as in the book but in reverse.

As for TSWLM the train presumably from Luxor to the coast and then a boat (not seen on screen) to Sardinia where they meet Q who has driven down through France and got a ferry from Marseille. Simples.

I've got a new one: In OP Bond attends the Octopussy Circus in East Berlin then disguises himself as a worker and helps pack all the stuff on the train which then travels to Karl Marx Stadt where the circus is all unpacked and another performance starts. Given that the second performance starts around 3 then just what time is the first one in Berlin?

The distance between the Berlin and KMS (now called Chemnitz) is 260km and the train doesnt look the fastest. Even if you say it is going at a 100kph then that is a 2 and half hour journey. Factor in a very conservative hour at either end to dismantle and erect a huge marquee and say a 2 hour show that means that the first performance started at 8.30 in the morning! Preposterous.

And wait one minute - even more crucial than the whole instant circus set up is this: Karl Marx Stadt was in East Germany. So a) what border are they crossing seeing as they started in East Berlin and are staying within the DDR and b) what the heck is a US airbase doing on DDR territory?

Oh OP I've always thought you had a great plot but this is all frankly bunkum.

I'd like to offer an opinion. Diamonds Are Forever never happened, and it never existed.
    While we are talking about DAF, i recently watched it and why doesn't Wint and Kidd just take the last lot of diamonds straight to Blofeld after they killed the Dentist in south africa. I know they are shutting down the pipeline but couldn't they have killed everyone off after they had delivered the Diamonds to Blofeld or Metz. Then that way by the time Bond had any idea what was going on Blofeld would've had his laser in space already up and running. I may have missed something but that occured to me during my latest viewing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Sharky wrote:
    While we are talking about DAF, i recently watched it and why doesn't Wint and Kidd just take the last lot of diamonds straight to Blofeld after they killed the Dentist in south africa. I know they are shutting down the pipeline but couldn't they have killed everyone off after they had delivered the Diamonds to Blofeld or Metz. Then that way by the time Bond had any idea what was going on Blofeld would've had his laser in space already up and running. I may have missed something but that occured to me during my latest viewing.

This is an interesting point. I assumed that Wint and Kidd didn't necessarily know who the pipeline people were so that the easiest way for Blofeld to cover his tracks was to eliminate the couriers one by one. Or alternately, that Blofeld had some reason to silence everyone in the pipeline.

But why would Blofeld cover his tracks if he was about to go public with his satellite ransom? Seems unnecessary.

echo wrote:
    Sharky wrote:

This is an interesting point. I assumed that Wint and Kidd didn't necessarily know who the pipeline people were so that the easiest way for Blofeld to cover his tracks was to eliminate the couriers one by one. Or alternately, that Blofeld had some reason to silence everyone in the pipeline.

But why would Blofeld cover his tracks if he was about to go public with his satellite ransom? Seems unnecessary.

Yes i thought that Wint and Kidd didn't neccessarily know who they were at first either, but then i remembed that Mrs whistler said nice to see you again gentleman. And that is also a good point about Blofeld going public with the satellite.
    Sharky wrote:
    echo wrote:
    Sharky wrote:

Yes i thought that Wint and Kidd didn't neccessarily know who they were at first either, but then i remembed that Mrs whistler said nice to see you again gentleman. And that is also a good point about Blofeld going public with the satellite.

Yes, you are right about the Mrs. Whistler comment! I'm trying to recall the dialogue about closing down the pipeline. I know Bond mentions it to Tiffany after they find Plenty in the pool.

The diamond pipeline is a great reason for the travelogue and explains Bond's movements, but I still don't see Blofeld's motive in shutting it down. If there was a leak or a mole or they needed to throw the authorities off their scent, that I'd understand.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After rewatching CR for the 1,000th time last night, I had quite a few questions that always seem to crop up, but I forget to ask: was something other than physical cash in the suitcase at the end? I just don't see how over $100,000,000 could fit in a suitcase, unless they were incredibly large bills or some other form of payment that amounted to it without having to be normal currency.

But then again, Vesper asks Bond how much they would need to float for a month: does she only take out a certain amount of the money to pay off Gettler, or was I right in assuming it was every penny of Bond's winnings?

Also, why does M state that Vesper must have known "she was going to her death"? If Bond hadn't followed, wouldn't it have been a simple exchange?

And my last question: what is it that triggers a thought in Bond's mind when he is on the boat after the finale and looks at the seashells? I've always been confused about it. He closes up the bag, thinks, grabs the seashell and studies it, and then he decides to check the phone, and a new message pops up. Was it ill timing? Was it a draft that was saved for later? If not, who sent it?
    @Creasy47: The only one of those I could seem to give a fragmented answer on is the question about Vesper's foreknowledge about her death. I've got two possible solutions. The first is that she just had a bad feeling that in some way Quantum was going to cheat her out of the deal and bring her life into the equation. The second is that she had a bad feeling that 007 was going to catch on to her little scheme and naturally, come running to the rescue and spoil the plan. The one question I've never managed to figure out is why she locks herself in the elevator after Bond has already killed off all of Gettler's men and Gettler himself! She's supposed to be safe, he should be able to get her out and all should be well.
    00Beast wrote:
    The one question I've never managed to figure out is why she locks herself in the elevator after Bond has already killed off all of Gettler's men and Gettler himself! She's supposed to be safe, he should be able to get her out and all should be well.

She couldn't live with the guilt knowing She betrayed him so she resorted to suicide.
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    The one question I've never managed to figure out is why she locks herself in the elevator after Bond has already killed off all of Gettler's men and Gettler himself! She's supposed to be safe, he should be able to get her out and all should be well.

She couldn't live with the guilt knowing She betrayed him so she resorted to suicide.

Yeah, you're right, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that was self-explanatory and I probably had forgotten that, hahaha. Nevertheless, thanks for bringing it back to me! With this newfound knowledge, I can safely say that Vesper is an idiot! Hahahaha.
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Yeah, you're right, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that was self-explanatory and I probably had forgotten that, hahaha. Nevertheless, thanks for bringing it back to me! With this newfound knowledge, I can safely say that Vesper is an idiot! Hahahaha.

Even Bond thought so when she refused to give him the extra money when he lost it all. haha.
    @Murdock: Oh yes, I did forget about that line! Hahahaha, that worked out pretty well.
    When Bond is in Bolivia in Quantum of Solace and running around and doing Olympic stunts and racing about, do you know how thin the air is in that country? La Paz is the highest city in the world if I remember, and at such an altitude where even the super fit may find it a struggle, and Bond (not Craig himself), seems impervious to anything, and still manages to do his usual action bits, as a stranger to the country or a first visit (Bond never made a journey before?) just seems strange he didn't seem effected too much, as one not used to such an difficult environment. Must have spent a few weeks at a high altitude training camp or something. Probably nothing but just thought it might be relevant

You'll excuse me if I leave. Goodnight I-)
    Anybody have any answers to my other questions? They've bothered me for quite some time now.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,994
    Creasy47 wrote:
    After rewatching CR for the 1,000th time last night, I had quite a few questions that always seem to crop up, but I forget to ask: was something other than physical cash in the suitcase at the end? I just don't see how over $100,000,000 could fit in a suitcase, unless they were incredibly large bills or some other form of payment that amounted to it without having to be normal currency.

The suitcase is probably full of bearer bonds.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    But then again, Vesper asks Bond how much they would need to float for a month: does she only take out a certain amount of the money to pay off Gettler, or was I right in assuming it was every penny of Bond's winnings?

I believe this is Vesper's cover story for why she needs to go to the bank.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Also, why does M state that Vesper must have known "she was going to her death"? If Bond hadn't followed, wouldn't it have been a simple exchange?

M is saying that Vesper made a deal: she would hand over the money *if* they spared Bond's life. She made a deal to save him. But she also knew that they would likely kill her--which begs the question of why she would trust them not to kill Bond, too.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    And my last question: what is it that triggers a thought in Bond's mind when he is on the boat after the finale and looks at the seashells? I've always been confused about it. He closes up the bag, thinks, grabs the seashell and studies it, and then he decides to check the phone, and a new message pops up. Was it ill timing? Was it a draft that was saved for later? If not, who sent it?

Vesper leaves behind her phone (intentionally?), which gives clues to Bond--first it's the "Gettler" message on the phone in the hotel suite and then later the "Mr. White" message (with delivery delayed until after she's turned over the money, perhaps?).

@00Beast asks a great question, which is: why does Vesper kill herself in the elevator? It's clearer in the novel, but in the film, she has less to fear because Bond has vanquished the bad guys. But maybe it's that she simply can't live with the knowledge that she betrayed her country and the man she loved--to try to save Yusef, as we later learn--but still a betrayal.
    It just appears that he receives the message immediately after he looks at the seashells, which prompt him to check out the phone in the first place. I didn't know if it was awkward editing, or if it meant something, and who sent the text.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,994
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It just appears that he receives the message immediately after he looks at the seashells, which prompt him to check out the phone in the first place. I didn't know if it was awkward editing, or if it meant something, and who sent the text.

Agreed. It's bad screenwriting shorthand--Bond thinking of Vesper's shells, followed by her message "For James." Vesper clearly sent the message to lead him to White, getting back at the people who (she assumed) would have killed her.
    @echo, ahh, okay, that makes a lot of sense now. That's what I initially believed: Vesper had it as a delayed message, or just relayed it through someone random and made sure they had it sent to her at a certain time. The seashell thing has always thrown me off until now, so thank you for that.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    I dont know, but I didnt think how Wint and kidd did that made sense.

I know they had to got to each stop to shut down the pipeline, but Why did they physically let the diamonds pass from each stop. Why didnt they just keep the diamonds and give them to blofeld when they got them from the dentist and go and kill each person on the trail after ? Dont ya think Blofeld knew the route? They had been getting shipments of diamonds for a long time, right?

Also, even if they just directly too the diamonds from the dentist to Blofeld,The mi6 wouldnt be able to get any information from the people from the pipeline in time to stop it. The laser was ready to go.If anything- taking all that time and killing the people would alert mi6 agents.

sorry for the "wasted space", but why cant the mods just delete threads instead of just locking them? THAT "doesnt make sense"
    In the PTS in Thunderball I never really understood how Bond knew that woman was actually Jack Bouvard?
    Matt wrote:
    In the PTS in Thunderball I never really understood how Bond knew that woman was actually Jack Bouvard?

Bond knows he's not a woman because he opened his own car door rather than wait for the door to be opened for him. That assumption was probably risky in 1965; I certainly wouldn't base my case on it now!

"Austin, that's my MOTHER!"
    I've always wanted to know something. Whenever the name of the actor who plays M comes up, why does it always say "and (Judi Dench) as M".

None of the other characters get this sort of acknowledgment, why only M?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Vesper was "going to her death" because on the barge she made a deal to give the money to Quantum if they let Bond live. Bond heals, and Vesper is asked to meet in Venice. She goes with the money, fully knowing that as soon as they get the money she is as good as dead and dispensable. And Quantum knew she fell in love with him and that made her even more of a loose end.