Parts of Bond Movies that Don't Make Sense

Comments

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off topic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    One part that once never made sense to me when I was a kid, was 006 talking about his family during the end of 2nd world war... I always thought he was alive back then, so he must have been near 60 in GE !! Same with Bond as they were friends in MI6 !! I couldn't understand how Bond and Alec looked so young in 1995 when they were old enough to remember the end of the WW2 !!
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    That's been widely regarded as a plot hole. After thinking abt it, it can be explained.

Alec's parents had him later in their lives...some 10 years after WW2 whilst living in shame. Unable to cope with that shame any longer the father kills himself (and mum) while Alec is still young.
    @DaltonCraig007 and BAIN 123: I don't think they were actually alive during WW2. When Bond asked for Zukovsky's help earlier in the movie, Zukovsky mentioned that Trevelyan was a Lienz Cossack, and Bond started rambling about WW2. I think he just knows the history behind it well enough to understand Trevelyan's parents' death.
    A lot of YOLT doesn't make any sense (or is just plain ridiculous). To wit:

• After dealing with the sumo henchman in the Osato building, Bond — who had no idea he'd find himself in such a situation — suddenly produces bulky safecracking equipment from his pocket once he spots an office safe. The gizmo makes a noticeable bulge in Bond's jacket... which was clearly not there in previous scenes.

• Bond, only feet behind her, is unable to catch Aki when she runs away from him — in high heels.

• Mr. Osato orders Bond (who is posing as a British businessman) to be killed moments after meeting him. So a carload of thugs tries to gun down 007 right in front of the company headquarters as he's leaving. Talk about bad publicity...

• Bond watches on a video screen mounted in Aki's sports car as the same carload of thugs is dropped by Tiger's helicopter — which appears dangling a giant magnet within seconds of Aki's distress call — into Tokyo Bay. So what camera is taking these pictures?

• In a ridiculously lame "blue screen" shot, watch as Aki's car takes two hairpin turns (or rather the film in front of the car does) while her hands remain perfectly still on the steering wheel.

• Firing his PPK, Bond misses two henchman who are crouching only five feet away from him.

• To escape a pack of goons at the Kobi docks, Bond makes two 30 foot dives off a building onto pallets stacked with tarp-covered boxes. Naturally, they cushion his fall. So how did he know the boxes contained marshmallows and not machine parts? Ouch!

• During the wedding scene, Bond is pretending to be Japanese with the not-so-successful aid of a Mr. Spock wig. Watch as the 6-foot-2 Connery puts on the hunched posture of a scoliosis sufferer so as not to tower over everyone else in the shot.

• 007 scouts out the perfectly camouflaged volcano crater in his miniature gyro-copter and finds nothing. Fortunately for the good guys, SPECTRE attack choppers pick that moment to engage Bond in an aerial dogfight. From this action, Bond and Tiger amazingly deduce that there must be something about the volcano requiring further investigation.

• Blofeld launches interceptor rockets from his secret volcano base at night. Even with a "radar blackout" device, wouldn't the villagers on the island — not to mention anyone within a hundred miles — be able to see them taking off? (Shades of MOONRAKER!)

• Posing as a fisherman out pearl diving with Kissy, Bond stumbles upon the secret of Blofeld's lair. Without the slightest idea of what he'd find that day, it's revealed that 007 nevertheless had the foresight to bring along the very devices — suction cups — that enable him to stealthily penetrate the hidden base.
    @CraterGuns: Hahaha! Wow, YOLT leaves a lot up to the imagination! I never realized how many goofs one movie can have.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    @00Beast. I think they were alive during WW2 and had managed to escape being killed. Presumably they were living "off the grid".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @CraterGuns But YOLT is absolutly EPIC and ENTERTAINING !! Ok a few goofs... but still an amazing film !! ;;)
  • Here's one from YOLT: We know that Blofeld's volcano can be accessed by the sea through a tunnel. However, that tunnel is protected by a deadly poison gas. So, how come nobody dies when Bond, Kissy, the ninjas and (presumably) the members of SPECTRE still alive escape the erupting volcano by that same tunnel ?
    The gas was probably a defence mechanism, it would have packed up the second the control room went up in flames.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bond watches on a video screen mounted in Aki's sports car as the same carload of thugs is dropped by Tiger's helicopter — which appears dangling a giant magnet within seconds of Aki's distress call — into Tokyo Bay. So what camera is taking these pictures?

Not forgetting of course SPECTRES extravagant copycat system of having a camera satellite in parallel orbit with the intruder missile.

I thought SPECTRE was run for profit so why doesnt someone say to Blofeld 'This is mental. On top of all the expense of hollowing out a volcano and the costs of a space programme, do we really need to pay for another launch just so we can - in your words - 'watch it all on TV'?. Youve lost the plot Ernst.'

Presumably the piranha pool put most people off expressing this sentiment.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    James Bond: It appears we share the same passions: three, anyway.
    Xenia Onatopp: I count two: motoring and, uh, baccarat. I hope the third is where your real talent lies.

This quote from GE never made sense to me. What did Bond mean by the third passion?
    @Creasy47: I always assumed it was something extremely suggestive, if you get my meaning. Throughout that scene, Bond and Xenia were throwing hints around and around, which kind of bugs me.
    Thanks for the clarification. The next line Bond says after her reply is "One rises to meet a challenge." I could only surmise it's something very suggestive and sexual.
    Yeah, I just bury my head and sigh every time those lines come around. Especially the one Xenia says about how she likes her "drink" made. I'm not even going to quote that one! I'm sure you know which one I mean.
    Straight up. With a tweeeeest
    @Master_Dahark: Hahaha! Yes, that one. Nice accent on twist! Hahaha.
    Straight up. With a tweeeeest

Hahaha, excellent. That's it!
    In TSWLM, when Bond goes to Aziz Fekkesh's apartment in Cairo, and some random lady is there waiting for him (named Feliccia according to my James Bond Encyclopedia). Then, after a few moments of sweet-talking by Bond, Sandor appears with a gun and shoots Feliccia. First of all, why was she there in the first place? Is she working for Stromberg to distract Bond from obtaining the microfilm? Was she in on Sandor's plan to kill Bond? Secondly, why did Sandor shoot her? If she was working for Sandor, she didn't do anything against orders, so why shoot her? This scene has always confused me!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2012 Posts: 5,984
    Why does Magda look and smile approvingly as Bond escapes from his prison in the Monsoon Palace without raising the alarm and informing Prince Kamal Khan?

Like Octopussy, her allegiance to Kamal is not absolute.
    00Beast wrote:
    @Samuel001: Hahaha! I've never noticed that before. That's a fail!

Yes, but then we'd never have the great "Goodnight, sir!", one of the best last lines in a Bond film.
    One part that once never made sense to me when I was a kid, was 006 talking about his family during the end of 2nd world war... I always thought he was alive back then, so he must have been near 60 in GE !! Same with Bond as they were friends in MI6 !! I couldn't understand how Bond and Alec looked so young in 1995 when they were old enough to remember the end of the WW2 !!

If I remember correctly, the producers were really hoping to convince Anthony Hopkins (then very big because of Silence of the Lambs) to play 006 and had the part written with him in mind, which makes a lot more sense, agewise.
    Heres one that don't add up in Dr.No for me

When Bond kills the guard in the lake he didn't bother to take the machine gun! He could took it as a back up and could of had more chance in saving Quarrel.
    Kananga wrote:

When Bond kills the guard in the lake he didn't bother to take the machine gun! He could took it as a back up and could of had more chance in saving Quarrel.

Ah, I never noticed this before! Good point!
  • How did 006 survive a bullet to the head in GE. I assumed that trevalyn and the general had hired chuck norris to wear a mask and take 006's place while bond wasn't looking.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Ouromov and Alec coordinated the meeting to use Alec's "death" as his escape to Janus. Ouromov used a blank on Alec where Alec played dead but didn't count on Bond only using three minutes vice six minutes for the detonator.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kananga wrote:

Guess they were too preoccupied with trying to stay hidden at the time. There were also guards and dogs looking for them. Although Bond could have grabbed it once the guards and dogs left, grabbing that guards machine gun may have exposed them, where at the time, their best chance of survival was to stay underwater.
  • Having a bond season with my mates, watched OHMSS the other day and at the start of the film when bond is stopping her commiting suicide does he knock her out when shes in the water? And Why?
  • Ooo and in Die Another Day, is Dr. Alvarez meant to be an unpleasant guy? The diologue should have made it much more obvious.lol
  • How did 006 survive a bullet to the head in GE. I assumed that trevalyn and the general had hired chuck norris to wear a mask and take 006's place while bond wasn't looking.

Hahaha that's hilarious. At first I assumed it was a blank but then only seconds later he shoots and kills a guard (pretty sure even in Russia he'd get in alot of trouble for that) with the same gun that he never changed or reloaded. The whole PTS is one giant plothole. Trevelyn's scheme to appear dead makes no sense as Bond could've very easily been killed in the ensuing chase. But I suppose Trevelyn and Orumov figured Bond would slide down the converyer belt, avoid hundreds of bullets, and then catch a plane in mid-air.

Haphazardstuff pointed out a much more sensible alternative. Why didn't Trevelyn just shoot Bond while he wasn't expecting it instead of putting his own life in danger in a gunfight and then blowing up the compound that resulted in his scaring. Bond would've been dead, Trevelyn never would've been seen or heard from again, and MI6 would've naturally assumed that the two agents were caught and killed during the mission.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    How did 006 survive a bullet to the head in GE. I assumed that trevalyn and the general had hired chuck norris to wear a mask and take 006's place while bond wasn't looking.

Hahaha that's hilarious. At first I assumed it was a blank but then only seconds later he shoots and kills a guard (pretty sure even in Russia he'd get in alot of trouble for that) with the same gun that he never changed or reloaded. The whole PTS is one giant plothole. Trevelyn's scheme to appear dead makes no sense as Bond could've very easily been killed in the ensuing chase. But I suppose Trevelyn and Orumov figured Bond would slide down the converyer belt, avoid hundreds of bullets, and then catch a plane in mid-air.

Haphazardstuff pointed out a much more sensible alternative. Why didn't Trevelyn just shoot Bond while he wasn't expecting it instead of putting his own life in danger in a gunfight and then blowing up the compound that resulted in his scaring. Bond would've been dead, Trevelyn never would've been seen or heard from again, and MI6 would've naturally assumed that the two agents were caught and killed during the mission.
    One of the major reasons why GE isn't as high as it should be in my listings. That plot hole is the size of the Earth's mantle.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    How did 006 survive a bullet to the head in GE. I assumed that trevalyn and the general had hired chuck norris to wear a mask and take 006's place while bond wasn't looking.

One of the major reasons why GE isn't as high as it should be in my listings. That plot hole is the size of the Earth's mantle.

I think the whole movie is pretty medicore but yeah that PTS has some problems. It's as if the writers forgot about telling a story just to have a cool opening. Then we flashforward nearly a decade and Bond doesn't look a day older. His hair's even exactly the same. I know most people didn't have a problem with this but it bothered me alittle.
    Although GE is my favorite, the entire PTS has always had a bunch of plotholes: Trevelyan not being killed with the gunshot, the location of the runway in regards to the dam he jumped from, and how a falling man manages to catch up to a falling helicopter.