The bad movies you love

Comments

gumbolt wrote: »
    Live Wire, starring a pre-Bond, post-Steele Pierce Brosnan is an enjoyable guilty pleasure. Also, the ITV mini-series/TV Movie Jack the Ripper starring Michael Caine, Jane Seymour (LALD), Michael Gothard (FYEO), George Sweeney (FYEO), Edward Judd (could have been a good Bond in the 60s) and Lewis Collins (he would have been a great bet for Bond in the mid-80s but Cubby said no) is just fabulously bad - I love it! But for me, you can't beat Deep Blue Sea, the shark spectacular. Thomas Jane, if he was British, would have rivalled DC for Bond if they had dispensed with the whole depth of character thing. When I finally buy it on DVD I will know a line in cultural self-discipline has been crossed!

I remember enjoying Jack the Ripper a lot. Was it truly that bad?
    gumbolt wrote: »
    Live Wire, starring a pre-Bond, post-Steele Pierce Brosnan is an enjoyable guilty pleasure.

Yep, I love that, too.
    Well, I finally decided to buy a cheap Bluray copy of my guiltiest pleasure: CR'67. When SP comes out, I'll have my Bond collection complete: all Fleming's books, all movies and several books. I'm not looking for more.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,268
    Bumping. Here are some of my guilty pleasures (some could be considered okay I guess, but generally I've heard these one picked at plenty):

-Spy Kids 3 (maybe one of the worst films I've ever seen, but it is just so darn hilarious)
    -Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (pretty bad, but somehow still infinitely more charming than the first horrible live-action Scooby flick...)
    -Signs (it has some ridiculous plot issues, but it has a lot to like - especially Joaquin Phoenix)
    -Star Wars Prequels (granted I'm not the biggest fan of 1 and 2, but there are aspects I enjoy. Revenge of the sith is just a personal favorite)
    -Spider-Man 3 (the bad stuff doesn't bug me as bad as it does for most others. I just embrace the cheese, because let's face it - all those Spider-Man films were fairly cheesy)
    -Napoleon Dynamite (it's not a well-made film by most standards, but it makes me laugh - and bottom line, that's all I need in a comedy)
    -Rocky Sequels other than V (I agree the first is still the best, but I enjoyed the whole saga other than the fifth one)
    Spider-Man 3, for all its flaws, at least had more heart than the reboot movies.

Another one of mine: She's the Man. It's a lame, lazy rip off of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, which makes it a blasphemous romcom. And apart from the (modernized and thus very contrived) plotline, there is nothing remotely Shakespearian about it. The cast is bad, the acting really poor, the jokes are lame, it's as bad a movie as movies go. But I kind of like it. I don't know why yet, I think maybe because I cannot entirely hate something inspired by Shakespeare, maybe because at least one character is not a jock but an artist, which is almost not a cliché.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had a blast with Starsky and Hutch.
    I don't know about the whole movie. This scene, however, is so excruciating yet so brilliant:

Another one I thought about recently is The Black Hole. I only watched it once, when I was a young adult, but as a child I listened to the record-book adaptation and it was one of my favourite. When I saw the movie, I thought it was really bad. But the casting was impressive, the FX sometimes quite good and there was John Barry's score. It's a mess of a movie, trying to be Star Wars, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and 2001: A Space Odyssey at the same time. Like a multiple-personality ripoff. Still... I don't know why, I find it kind of cool.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I don't know about the whole movie. This scene, however, is so excruciating yet so brilliant:

I'll agree about the excruciating part. Cringe inducingly so.
    IMO nothing can remotely redeem a movie based on ABBA songs and music. Unless maybe if it's a silent one.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Even if you like ABBA, the movie was still a nightmare to witness.
    Yes, apart from Amanda Seyfried, the rest of the cast couldn't sing to save their lives (especially Pierce Brosnan). But the stage musical is quite good (the two times I've seen it, I went out of the theater grinning from ear to ear). And frankly, I don't understand the hatred some people have for Abba. But what can I say, I was a teenager during the 70s, so....
    Well, I was born in the late 70s and I love many of the music from 70s, far more than from the 80s when I grew up. But Abba, I never liked it.

I share the opinion of Nick Stefanos in Shame the Devil by George Pelecanos:

"Mai had an Abba CD playing on the house system. It bothered Stefanos that groups like Abba and the Carpenters were considered hip now. Stefanos figured that anything that blew the first time around still blew, period. Retro appreciation was nothing more than blind nostalgia."
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Sword And The Sorcerer

Not sure if it's a bad movie but this cheesy Conan rip off from 1982 is a blast!

It has a three bladed sword in it that can FIRE it's spare blades at baddies!

It's very stupid, very funny and very violent!

The DVD is an atrocious print so I would like a nice re-mastered Bluray please!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    All three of the Transformers sequels.

Not sure if it's a bad movie but this cheesy Conan rip off from 1982 is a blast!

I remember watching the second half when I was very, very young. I want to watch it again.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I remember watching the second half when I was very, very young. I want to watch it again.

Give it a go, you'll enjoy it. The film is on DVD, albeit, not a good transfer.
    --The 13th Warrior...love the Viking theme
    --The Chronicles of Riddick, co-starring the late M Judi Dench
    --Bloodsport with Jean-Claude Van Damme vs. Chong Li, his Kumite foe who has pecs the size of garbage can lids

I think I even like those first two better than LALD and DAD...sorry to fans of those movies.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited June 2016 Posts: 189
    Godzilla (1998)
    Batman and Robin
    Jurassic Park III
    Street Fighter: The Movie
    Rocky V
    Batman v Superman
    Die Another Day
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    The Star Wars Prequels
    Hook
    Spider-Man 3
    The Transformers Sequels
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Batman v Superman

X-Men: The Last Stand

Those aren t bad movies.
  • The Killer Elite (1975), Sam Peckinpah film about a private security company, It's old now & was slated at the time.
    The Killer Elite (1975), Sam Peckinpah film about a private security company, It's old now & was slated at the time.

I'd hardly call it a 'bad' film though. I know that a lot of British film reviews were favourable to it.

Haven't seen it in decades but I liked it a lot.

db72fd13e72fd08e9591a695316692be.jpg

There's this little known gem from 1989 called 'Laser Mission' starring Brandon Lee that I've caught on tape growing up and recently watched again.

It's STUPID as hell, and the budget looks like it might have been about 3 bucks, but Lee hams it up as Michael Gold- a James Bond type- and it's as if he knows he's in a bad movie but has fun anyway.

There's also its own theme song, which is about as 80's at is comes, and the lyrics make no sense. It's like the writer just picked random words that sounded cool. Get a load of this quality work:

"In the violence of the night....
    when you hear the silent scream.
    He only knows where he is goin'....
    just like a dream within a dream.
    His heart beats like a hammer....
    like a back beat of the sun.
    And the fires burn within 'em....
    and he knows he don't belong, so he must be strong.
    He's a MERCENARY MAN (Mercenary) MERCENARY MAN (Mercenary) MERCENARY MA-A-ANNNN"

d6f.jpg

How do I know the words to this obscure song so well you may ask? Because they play that damn song throughout the movie nonstop
    One begs the question, 'why didn't they call the movie Mercenary Man'?

Long story short, it's a dire movie, I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Plus it's worth it to see Brandon aged just 24, before he hit it big (Showdown in Little Tokyo was his next movie and then the rest was history). He was a great talent that was taken away much too soon!
    The female lead looks... Interesting.
    bondjames wrote: »
    People blast Die Hard 2 generally, but I can't get enough of it. I personally rank it only just below the original, and in some ways, I like it better.
    I'm quite proud to say that DIE HARD 2 is my favorite of the series (although the 1st is still the best). It really does have a Christmas feel with it's snowy backdrop, and Bruce rocks that sweater and overcoat in the beginning.
    I'm also a proud supporter of the pre-bond Pierce Brosnan masterpiece LIVE WIRE. Many great Brosnan moments and he looks great there.
    Okay....here goes:
    SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (1987)
    Especially after seeing Cavill's MAN OF STEEL and Routh's SUPERMAN RETURNS I've grown to appreciate this 4th entry in the Chris Reeve series far more than I used to. It's short, fast paced, and unashamed of showing us a Superman unafraid to flaunt his bright red trunks. At 34, Reeve was in top form if not a bit trimmer than in previous entries.
    The budget was cut in half before filming commenced so the special effects are quite dodgy, but I'll take a wire supported Reeve over a completely CGI ed Routh in flight any day. Maybe I've seen the second Reeve film too many times, but lately I've found SUPERMAN IV to hold up more over time. Never thought I'd say that.
    STAYING ALIVE (1983)
    Sequel to Saturday Night Fever-a complete piece of crap that's a guilty pleasure. It is pretty funny, though.
    BIG JIM MCCLAIN (1952)
    Much hated John Wayne film that's pretty much a propaganda flick, but I always thought it was fun.
    DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN (1971)
    Filmed by Al Adamson in 1969 as The Blood Seekers it was later decided to throw Dracula, a descendant of Baron Frankenstein and The Frankenstein Monster in the mix. J Carrol Naish is Dr Durea (Frankenstein), Lon Chaney Jr is a henchman like Groton and Count Dracula is played by Zandor Vorkov. Dracula's fangs are literally the cheap plastic ones you can buy for a dollar at Halloween. Pretty cool stuff.
    Did I mention that I love Road House? It is a dumb as it can be, and I can barely stand Patrick Swayze. Furthermore, I loathed Dirty Dancing. But RH is far superior: it has plenty of violence, nudity and it is 80s cliché ridden, without the romantic nonsense or the anachronisms.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »

I'll agree about the excruciating part. Cringe inducingly so.

Having watched half of Mamma Mia this morning on TV, I'll revise my statement...the whole film is bad. HOWEVER it knows this. It's not intending to be Les Miserables.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while!
    Did I mention that I love Road House? It is a dumb as it can be, and I can barely stand Patrick Swayze. Furthermore, I loathed Dirty Dancing. But RH is far superior: it has plenty of violence, nudity and it is 80s cliché ridden, without the romantic nonsense or the anachronisms.

Road House
    is great! United Artists- summer of '89. Came out a couple months before LTK. What a great summer that was.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,554
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Road House
    is great! United Artists- summer of '89. Came out a couple months before LTK. What a great summer that was.

And LTK's bar fight was very similar of those in RH. The two films could be watched back-to-back and then discussed in terms of comparable themes. Spirit of the times...