The bad movies you love

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

I know it's a terrible movie, but I LOVE Cyborg. Besides Bloodsport (which is a legitimately good movie), it's almost my favorite Van Damme movie!

It actually used to scare me as a little kid! As a 6 year old, just the apocalyptic concept alone was frighting to me-- especially near the end when Van Damme and the girl are both running from the cannibals through that marshy area; JCVD kept stopping to fight one, allowing another to get closer, and so on until he was overwhelmed.

cyborg31.jpg

I kept shouting at the screen 'Don't stop! Keep running!'

It's been years since I've seen Cyborg but I loved it as a kid. Time Cop, Double Impact, Universal Soldier, and Cyborg are my top Van Damme movies.

What about Sudden death ?
    I enjoy Sudden Death myself, and am also partial to Hard Target and Maximum Risk .
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I love hockeh and I love die hard so I get the best of both with sudden death
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

I know it's a terrible movie, but I LOVE Cyborg. Besides Bloodsport (which is a legitimately good movie), it's almost my favorite Van Damme movie!

It actually used to scare me as a little kid! As a 6 year old, just the apocalyptic concept alone was frighting to me-- especially near the end when Van Damme and the girl are both running from the cannibals through that marshy area; JCVD kept stopping to fight one, allowing another to get closer, and so on until he was overwhelmed.

cyborg31.jpg

It's been years since I've seen Cyborg but I loved it as a kid. Time Cop, Double Impact, Universal Soldier, and Cyborg are my top Van Damme movies.

I'd like to add Hard Target (my favourite) and some of his more recent films like Assassination Ganes, Pound Of Flesh and Six Bullets.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

cyborg31.jpg

I'm ashamed to admit this but I've never seen Sudden Death... or Kickboxer.
    Definitely watch Kickboxer
    Jaws 3-D I am actually captivated the effects are horrible but the film and performances are really kind of good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like PIRANA.
    Definitely watch Kickboxer

If one thinks about it Kickboxer is a poor man's version of Karate Kid, with an adult as a protagonist and with more hardcore plot/villains. I never watched it to the end but enjoyed what I saw of it.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Passengers (2016). 31% on RT by the critics (harsh) and 63% by the audience (more accurate imho). Atmospheric, romantic, surreal, suspenseful & thought provoking. It doesn't handle the themes it broaches well (the ending is rather convenient in a Hollywood manner) but I still really enjoyed it and have revisited and appreciated it again on home video. Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Sheen star.
    It has to be a downright bad movie, not an underrated one.
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

cyborg31.jpg

For anyone who may be interested, I recently picked up the Directors Cut to Cyborg, now titled 'SLINGER'

Slinger-aka-Cyborg-Platinum-Cult-Edition-DE.jpg

It used to be super rare, but now it can easily be found for around 20 bucks.

It's a double edged sword, because the movie is much better, however all scenes that aren't in the regular cut are very poor VHS quality, which is unfortunate. It's a bit jarring watching it go from 1080 to shit and back constantly.

The entire soundtrack is different, and it IS AWESOME. It completely changes the tone- just give it a quick listen:

If you like this movie at all, definitely check Slinger out.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    How does one define bad though? Surely that's in the eye of the beholder? Unless it's based on a poor 'audience' rating on RT as opposed to a 'critic' rating.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Black Rain (1989)

Dumb, clichéd, with an abysmal script. Lord only knows why Ridley Scott took on this unoriginal cop caper.

I do like it a lot though!

The film looks fantastic with the Osaka night time scenes really standing out. And Michael Douglas is the hilariously tough with a pudgy face cop, who is determined to get his man!

Poor Andy Garcia has the thankless role of 'sacrificial Lamb' when he gets his head lopped off by the baddie!

Some great action scenes (especially at the beginning) and Yakuza style violence make this for all its idiocy a fun watch!

I think Black Rain is a stylish 80's classic!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    How does one define bad though? Surely that's in the eye of the beholder? Unless it's based on a poor 'audience' rating on RT as opposed to a 'critic' rating.

True but I would say that there should be a certain consensus over it and for this thread that the person loving the movie agrees that it's bad too, at least to a degree. I don't think Puma Man is remotely good for instance, it's abysmally bad. Warlock is a poor man's Terminator. But I daresay that in both cases I find them more enjoyable than other movies of their respective genres (heck I'd still watch Warlock before any Terminator movie) partially because of their poor production value, naivete, plot holes, etc.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Ali G IndaHouse

Love Ali G myself. Great stuff.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Black Rain (1989)

Dumb, clichéd, with an abysmal script. Lord only knows why Ridley Scott took on this unoriginal cop caper.

I do like it a lot though!

The film looks fantastic with the Osaka night time scenes really standing out. And Michael Douglas is the hilariously tough with a pudgy face cop, who is determined to get his man!

Poor Andy Garcia has the thankless role of 'sacrificial Lamb' when he gets his head lopped off by the baddie!

Some great action scenes (especially at the beginning) and Yakuza style violence make this for all its idiocy a fun watch!

I think Black Rain is a stylish 80's classic!

Its basically a remake of Clint Eastwoods 'Coogans Bluff' right down to the motorbike chase finale!
    Ali G is comedy gold.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Love Ali G myself. Great stuff.

The TV series is far superior. Borat and Bruno are Baren Cowens best films IMO.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I a closet fan of the Lew Grade films. They are bad but also good (if that makes sense?).
    'Escape To Victory' 'Escape From Athena' and 'North Sea Hijack' are among my favourites. I must say that EFA is actually a good film. If anyone hasn't seen it, from the Bond connection perspective, it stars Sir Rog and Telly Savalas. A good WW2 romp.
    Ali G is comedy gold.

Watching the clips again on YouTube have me in stitches.

I agree on his immigration policy too.

stag wrote: »
    I a closet fan of the Lew Grade films. They are bad but also good (if that makes sense?).
    'Escape To Victory' 'Escape From Athena' and 'North Sea Hijack' are among my favourites. I must say that EFA is actually a good film. If anyone hasn't seen it, from the Bond connection perspective, it stars Sir Rog and Telly Savalas. A good WW2 romp.

Sir Lew Grade also made high quality stuff, Jesus of Nazareth for instance. I never considered North Sea Hijack a bad movie.
    Grade also was behind 'Capricorn One', a really enjoyable action thriller from Peter Hyams, with Elliot Gould and James Brolin.
    Not to mention all the series he produced at ITC. That man was one of the greats.

Way back in the 80s, I saw and enjoyed some of the Cannon group movies, featuring muscle-bound Americans fighting the forces of evil (in short, brown people). I enjoyed them at the time. Not sure I would like them again today. But of course, I did a lot of stupid things in those days.
    Like I already posted in another thread, the Spongebob Squarepants films. I am having a blast with them.
    Like I already posted in another thread, the Spongebob Squarepants films. I am having a blast with them.

I love Spongebob Squarepants in general - and I'm 31 years old.
    I remember when he was just in very short films on MTV before or after commercials, often only a few seconds long. Never cared for him then, but a fantastic universe has been created around him.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Ali G is comedy gold.

Watching the clips again on YouTube have me in stitches.

I agree on his immigration policy too.

Brilliant immigration policy. Agreed.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    I kind of liked Jumper, despite it being....well....utterly moronic. So, I will add Jumper to the list.
    I read this article today: https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jul/03/the-house-film-flop-mariah-carey-will-ferrell-amy-poehler

Kind of relevant to our topic. Now how to find a bad movie to love is the next step. I want to write about this soon.