James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wonder when are we getting optical disc releases for the 4Ks.

If they don't capitalize on it in 2018, they'll most certainly be sold and marketed heavily in the months before B25, much like they did with the bluray releases alongside SF for the first time.

Ugh. I'm not upgrading till I'm good and ready. Curse you, technology.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm so big into endlessly rewatching my movies that I had to make the jump. Can't imagine how incredible these Bond titles are going to look in the format, either.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'm no home theater expert, but I believe plenty of films released on Blu-Ray today have their color timing tampered with. For instance, some eighties films have a cooler, less pink palette. Others have more saturated colors. I think this is done to make the films looks more modern. But it seems to me that luckily, the Bond films didn't have their colors altered, except for some nighttime scenes (in OHMSS and FYEO, from what I remember). Is this correct?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm no home theater expert, but I believe plenty of films released on Blu-Ray today have their color timing tampered with. For instance, some eighties films have a cooler, less pink palette. Others have more saturated colors. I think this is done to make the films looks more modern. But it seems to me that luckily, the Bond films didn't have their colors altered, except for some nighttime scenes (in OHMSS and FYEO, from what I remember). Is this correct?

It definitely happens. Just take a look at Terminator 2 in 4K versus blu-ray. The color filtering is definitely different.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    That's called HDR. High Dynamic Range, it's linked to 4K and all 4K films are in HDR encoded. So the colors stay true.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I watch them with breakfast cereal, in Special K :-)
    I watch them with breakfast cereal, in Special K :-)

...ha ha ha ha.... that's cool!

I watched them with Swiss army chocolate and army biscuits ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :-D
    I too will go 4k with my next television, even though they say the human eye
    Can't actually take in all the visual information from 4k ?
    As It's Christmas, I'm watching Bond drinking beer and eating Everything ,!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I find the colour is generally truer on blu ray than DVD... there are exceptions though...Armageddon comes to mind...
    I watched some scenes of various Bond films with the new Apple TV 4K device.

It's a difference, clearly. It's less about the higher resolution than the overall image quality. The colors are natural and stunningly beautiful. The contrasts really are perfect.

The much higher resolution is especially visible in bright daylight scenes and in films that are colorful and don't use filters.

Tiffany in that nice little nothing she's almost wearing in 4K was worth the trouble alone of getting the new Apple TV.
    I have to watch TMWTGG first in 4K. The movie seems made for that format. And I need to see Goodnight in 4K from every angle and pushing that red button ;)
    In my experience, the Bond SE dvds were brighter, but that is made up for on the br with an incredible amount of more detail. The UE dvds were too dark for my taste.
    And yes, @mattjoes, a lot of br releases have altered colors. I had the br of Michael Mann´s Manhunter and sold it again, sticking to the dvd, because the br got rid of all those fantastic 80s neon color shades, a real shame!
    With the Bond films you needn´t worry though, they are the perfect sales promotion for br as a medium ;-).

:-D
    I too will go 4k with my next television, even though they say the human eye
    Can't actually take in all the visual information from 4k ?
    @Thunderpussy, they also said that mp3 only filters out those frequencies the human ear can´t hear, yet there is a huge difference between standart mp3 quality and cd quality ;-).

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I find the colour is generally truer on blu ray than DVD... there are exceptions though...Armageddon comes to mind...
    That could just be the crispness of the image coming through, the textures. Like in the Connery Blu-rays where the color seems more apparent because you can see the stitching in his suits, etc.
    I own CR, but only on DVD, which looks great IMO. Tell me please, is the BD a lot better or just a little?
    I own CR, but only on DVD, which looks great IMO. Tell me please, is the BD a lot better or just a little?

A lot.

A lot.

Fine. Make me spend more money..
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I switched to Blu-ray in 2010, and the dealer where I picked my Full-HD projector used CR as a demonstration object by switching between the DVD and Blu-ray versions in some key scenes. Although the DVD was upscaled by the receiver (or player, I'm not sure), it was absolutely no contest. Except for a few cases with special reasons, I have not bought a DVD of a normal release since 2010.

I'm not so sure I will upgrade once more, to 4K, since I can't really imagine the quality to be considerably better, or the picture even sharper. But I literally replaced hundreds of DVDs by their Blu-ray equivalent because I'm a sucker for the best quality affordable, even quite a few that I hadn't even watched by then.

A lot.

Stay with a tv screen under 55" and your money´ll be safe ;-).

edited December 2017 Posts: 2,005
    I think upgrading to physical 4K discs isn't necessary.
    In five years max "we all" will stream the films anyway and most of them will automatically be in 4K resolution.
    We'll all have a box at home that can stream 4K.

So all it takes in a couple of years (or now) is a 4K enabled box (like Apple TV) and a TV set that is 4K.
    I've discovered today that Netflix has a ton of 4K content. So the future has indeed already arrived it seems.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It really seems like the switch from HD to 4K is happening much quicker than the switch from standard definition to HD.

And now I'm already hearing about 8K...
    Not me. I'll never switch to a digital/streaming only platform until the day comes that physical media is dead and gone forever and I'm forced to do so.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm fully with you, Creasy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Blu-ray is always better, 99% of the time at least. How dare you deprive yourself of seeing Eva Green in high definition.
    Blu-ray is always better, 99% of the time at least. How dare you deprive yourself of seeing Eva Green in high definition.

Well you beat me to that comment.
    Eva Green is a Goddess, a provider of the wet dream and endless joy, she is THE woman.

And I'll watch HER in 4K soon ha ha....

It's ordered.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Am I the only one who doesn't care for the way TSWLM looks on Blu-Ray? Every other film, apart from GE which still looks decent despite the DNR, looks amazing.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    boldfinger wrote: »
    In my experience, the Bond SE dvds were brighter, but that is made up for on the br with an incredible amount of more detail. The UE dvds were too dark for my taste.
    And yes, @mattjoes, a lot of br releases have altered colors. I had the br of Michael Mann´s Manhunter and sold it again, sticking to the dvd, because the br got rid of all those fantastic 80s neon color shades, a real shame!
    With the Bond films you needn´t worry though, they are the perfect sales promotion for br as a medium ;-).
    @boldfinger Good for Bond! From what I recall of other films on Blu-Ray, Aliens and Blade Runner had their colors altered. 48 Hrs. looks different to me, as well. Colder. And Léon is way too yellow. And Friedkin definitely did something to Sorcerer, since the colors are too saturated, especially the greens. At least Bond is safe from that.

A lot.

Sorry. It's true.
    Make sure you get the UK version and not the butchered American one.
    Make sure you get the UK version and not the butchered American one.

How was the American one butchered? You mean scenes were cut?