James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Make sure you get the UK version and not the butchered American one.

How was the American one butchered? You mean scenes were cut?

It's missing some "brutal" shots, particularly during the stairwell fight.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »

More brutal than the knife fight in QOS?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Obanno's head being smashed through a window and him grabbing at Vesper's feet.

Obanno's head being smashed through a window and him grabbing at Vesper's feet.

So that's a yes?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Here's a good video:

mattjoes wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I'm no home theater expert, but I believe plenty of films released on Blu-Ray today have their color timing tampered with. For instance, some eighties films have a cooler, less pink palette. Others have more saturated colors. I think this is done to make the films looks more modern. But it seems to me that luckily, the Bond films didn't have their colors altered, except for some nighttime scenes (in OHMSS and FYEO, from what I remember). Is this correct?
    In my experience, the Bond SE dvds were brighter, but that is made up for on the br with an incredible amount of more detail. The UE dvds were too dark for my taste.
    And yes, @mattjoes, a lot of br releases have altered colors. I had the br of Michael Mann´s Manhunter and sold it again, sticking to the dvd, because the br got rid of all those fantastic 80s neon color shades, a real shame!
    With the Bond films you needn´t worry though, they are the perfect sales promotion for br as a medium ;-).
    @boldfinger Good for Bond! From what I recall of other films on Blu-Ray, Aliens and Blade Runner had their colors altered. 48 Hrs. looks different to me, as well. Colder. And Léon is way too yellow. And Friedkin definitely did something to Sorcerer, since the colors are too saturated, especially the greens. At least Bond is safe from that.
    @mattjoes, I watched Blade Runner on dvd and br. On my 32" tv the br looked definitely better. I dare say I would have noticed if the color pallette would have been altered more than minimal, because I´m a sucker for color and lighting myself.
    The colors of Blade Runner differ a lot between the theatrical cut and the final cut version though.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Bond 50 Bluray films look great on my 4K TV you do notice the upscale comparing it with 1080p.

It's much more than what someone else listed, there's just quite a few extended moments/added in bits of Bond throwing a punch or deflecting a blow. Some of it is rather questionable as to why it was removed, whereas other bits I guess I can understand (like watching Obanno's Lieutenant smack the ground as he reaches the bottom of the stairwell).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I've read that Campbell had to do some specific editing cuts in order to please the MPAA to get a PG-13, and that led to the removal of some scenes that were deemed too violent by their standards. I hate that, and would like to see the full effect of the film unencumbered.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,471
    @Creasy47, I've read that Campbell had to do some specific editing cuts in order to please the MPAA to get a PG-13, and that led to the removal of some scenes that were deemed too violent by their standards. I hate that, and would like to see the full effect of the film unencumbered.

That's definitely why, makes me eager to see what even the UK cut is lacking in violence and blood. When I mentioned questioning it, I only meant that some shots that were removed simply don't seem any more "tough to stomach" or brutal than other moments in the film (or moments that came later, like Bond sinking those scissors into Slate's neck).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,724
    I'm no home theater expert, but I believe plenty of films released on Blu-Ray today have their color timing tampered with. For instance, some eighties films have a cooler, less pink palette. Others have more saturated colors. I think this is done to make the films looks more modern. But it seems to me that luckily, the Bond films didn't have their colors altered, except for some nighttime scenes (in OHMSS and FYEO, from what I remember). Is this correct?
    In my experience, the Bond SE dvds were brighter, but that is made up for on the br with an incredible amount of more detail. The UE dvds were too dark for my taste.
    And yes, @mattjoes, a lot of br releases have altered colors. I had the br of Michael Mann´s Manhunter and sold it again, sticking to the dvd, because the br got rid of all those fantastic 80s neon color shades, a real shame!
    With the Bond films you needn´t worry though, they are the perfect sales promotion for br as a medium ;-).
    @boldfinger Good for Bond! From what I recall of other films on Blu-Ray, Aliens and Blade Runner had their colors altered. 48 Hrs. looks different to me, as well. Colder. And Léon is way too yellow. And Friedkin definitely did something to Sorcerer, since the colors are too saturated, especially the greens. At least Bond is safe from that.
    @mattjoes, I watched Blade Runner on dvd and br. On my 32" tv the br looked definitely better. I dare say I would have noticed if the color pallette would have been altered more than minimal, because I´m a sucker for color and lighting myself.
    The colors of Blade Runner differ a lot between the theatrical cut and the final cut version though.

@boldfinger The bolded part is what I mean. The new BR editions use seamless branching to provide all the different cuts, but in doing so, now all the cuts look like the Final Cut, whereas as you say, originally, the theatrical cut looked different. I own the Director's Cut on DVD and it looks brown, but the Blu-Ray, thanks to the Final Cut and seamless branching, looks blue.

@boldfinger The bolded part is what I mean. The new BR editions use seamless branching to provide all the different cuts, but in doing so, now all the cuts look like the Final Cut, whereas as you say, originally, the theatrical cut looked different. I own the Director's Cut on DVD and it looks brown, but the Blu-Ray, thanks to the Final Cut and seamless branching, looks blue.

Blue seems to be the go-to hue for color timing these days. I almost think the old VHS
    version of the theatrical cut might be more accurate in colors than the newer prints.
    I never did see BR in the cinemas.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Blue seems to be the go-to hue for color timing these days. I almost think the old VHS
    version of the theatrical cut might be more accurate in colors than the newer prints.

Blue was the look back in the cinema, mixed with browns. I saw BR so many times theatrically back then I lost count. The VHS has it all as it was, the DVD of the International cut (and the BD as well) are pretty close, but The Final Cut plays with colours to the point that it's unwatchable for me.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Just watched TSWLM in 4K. This film alone justifies buying it on iTunes and getting an Apple TV 4K box.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watched TSWLM in 4K. This film alone justifies buying it on iTunes and getting an Apple TV 4K box.

The older movies really do look good upscaled, Moonraker looks amazing on my 4K TV especially the scenes in Brazil.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767

@mattjoes, I didn´t know that. That´s as interesting as it is disturbing.

Blue was the look back in the cinema, mixed with browns. I saw BR so many times theatrically back then I lost count. The VHS has it all as it was, the DVD of the International cut (and the BD as well) are pretty close, but The Final Cut plays with colours to the point that it's unwatchable for me.
    I guess I´m lucky then that I went straight for the final cut a few years ago and never saw much of any other cuts. I saw the theatrical version on a poor VHS copy when I was like 15 and much too young and dumb to appreciate what the film is about at all, and then I didn´t see it at all for about 25 years. Possibly I will pick up the Director´s cut at some time in the future, but I will take care not to take one with all the versions on the same disc ;-).
    With the Alien br, I first thought I like the director´s cut better because it´s a bit brighter, but after some time I found the colors much better on the restored original version.

It´s frustrating that the newer mediums can´t have the original colors and light. Hopefully the responsible people will learn.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Blade Runner must be the toughest film to love or experience that I've ever encountered. Once you make a choice to watch one version of the film out of the 48 different cuts of the damn thing that there are, then you've got to worry about what colors Ridley screwed with on top of it. Why can't we just have one single version of the movie like the majority of movies out there that isn't tinkered with? :-<
    Blade Runner must be the toughest film to love or experience that I've ever encountered. Once you make a choice to watch one version of the film out of the 48 different cuts of the damn thing that there are, then you've got to worry about what colors Ridley screwed with on top of it. Why can't we just have one single version of the movie like the majority of movies out there that isn't tinkered with? :-<

It's all quite easy really, just go with the original theatrical release (US or international) and your problems are solved.
    @0Brady, that´s just to ease your conscience for not liking the film. Imagine not liking it but constantly feeling drawn to it because everybody praises the singularity of the colors ;-).
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    watching LTK in 4K....a sight for sore eyes....4K suits this film very well...
    The 4K versions on iTunes aren't even in HDR apparently, so they will eventually look even better. However, I read that Apple apparently has exclusivity rights to the films in 4K for an undisclosed period of time. Thus, they won't be coming to UHD as long as the deal lasts, from what I understand.
    @0Brady, that´s just to ease your conscience for not liking the film. Imagine not liking it but constantly feeling drawn to it because everybody praises the singularity of the colors ;-).
    @boldfinger, it's certainly a technically impressive film, but it's also be fiddled with so much that it's really difficult to get to a place where you want to go back to it (especially since my problems with it are story and character based).

But in some ways I'm glad I'm not a fan of it, the same with Star Wars, actually. If I watched George Lucas or Ridley Scott constantly hacking away at, tweaking or adding unnecessary things to something I loved all the time I'd be beyond livid. It's beyond criminal how hard it is to experience the Star Wars films the way they were on release without any tinkering, and Blade Runner is getting there too.

If the smoothest pathway to getting the full Blade Runner experience is by listening to a near asleep Harrison Ford put you to sleep too, that's a real shame. The only solace is no unicorns. ;)
    I go with The Final Cut every time. Just find a version you enjoy and stick it, pretty simple - I don't want to muddy my enjoyment by seeing the cuts with the narration (which is a lose/lose at times - the narration seems out of place, but I also don't like any hint that Deckard is a Replicant, either). I'd say from your assessment of the movie, though, that there really isn't much added or subtracted from each cut that'll make you love it.

Probably just a case of one of those old classics you took too long to get around to (and heard way too many positive things about) that it was bound to disappoint. Same thing happened with my buddy - my friends and I continuously harked on about how great it was, and he finally saw it and wasn't that impressed.
    I blame @chrisisall and @DarthDimi. I'm unapologetic about it. ;)
    I blame ourselves....
    I blame ourselves....
    I blame basically everyone but myself. I was a victim the moment I pushed the Final Cut into my player. It was so, so traumatic and the only reason you can even see the tears running down my face right now is because it's not raining...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Not me. I'll never switch to a digital/streaming only platform until the day comes that physical media is dead and gone forever and I'm forced to do so.

Yes. When you get the disc, it's yours, forever. There's something so transient and impersonal about digital. And as someone said, it shows a certain commitment on behalf of the viewer to buy a film: when you do, it means something to you. There's something deeper to it than with digital. On Netflix, films come and go, and mean so little.
    Not me. I'll never switch to a digital/streaming only platform until the day comes that physical media is dead and gone forever and I'm forced to do so.

Yes. When you get the disc, it's yours, forever. There's something so transient and impersonal about digital. And as someone said, it shows a certain commitment on behalf of the viewer to buy a film: when you do, it means something to you. There's something deeper to it than with digital. On Netflix, films come and go, and mean so little.

YES! And the added bonus: no high volume caused pauses or half-second slowdowns. Pure viewing control.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Hail Satan!

Dude, this is a media thread, not a Trump thread. ;)