The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

145791057

Comments

  • edited January 2015 Posts: 158
    Diana Rigg has always been my favourite Bond girl/wife. Doubt if that will ever change. Have a feeling Lea will run her very close though. She's lovely.

  • Mon Dieu, Lea Seydoux looks absolutely spectacular!
    My favourite Bond femme fatale has always been Honor Blackman but Lea is putting her status in jepourdy!
    Let's hope 007 can step up to the sartorial challenge.
  • Posts: 5,767
    doghouse wrote: »
    And to the follow on reply after yours, the one thing people always seem to really forget about, is that when it come to making someone look good, the physique is always number one. A well proportioned in shape person will always have a better look for a given outfit. People spend inordinate amounts of money on clothes and then can't comprehend why the still don't look like a model even though they have a gut and no chest.

    This isn't about Craig per se, he's in shape, that's just a generality.
    Well, tayloring should take care of that. After all, those clothes which look best on a certain physique have been taylored to fit that certain physique.
    I associate suits not mainly with well proportioned men. Many government officials or industry managers are far from being well proportioned, yet thanks to good tayloring they look elegant in their suit. It shouldn´t be too different with a bulked-up guy.

  • Posts: 5,767
    doubleoego wrote: »

    That's because he's toting a big arse machine gun.

    At the end of the day, all of this is nonsense anyway. It's all bullshyte. Arguing about the man's suit, cufflinks etc and what is or isn't proper yet, the intelligence agency he works for kits him with multiple Aston martins; yeeeeeeaah. The merits of what's couth is irrelevant. Bond is supposed to get away with the absurdities and the ridiculousness, it's essential to the charm of the series. Bond gets shot twice and falls from a speeding train thats on top of a high rise bridge, survives, mops around then goes back to work but sod all that, it's unrealistic because his suit looks too tight!
    It´s not about realism, it´s about style.
    When Cubby was asked what set Bond apart from the general action heros other films, he said, "Bond´s got style." There you have it.

  • edited January 2015 Posts: 260
    boldfinger wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    And to the follow on reply after yours, the one thing people always seem to really forget about, is that when it come to making someone look good, the physique is always number one. A well proportioned in shape person will always have a better look for a given outfit. People spend inordinate amounts of money on clothes and then can't comprehend why the still don't look like a model even though they have a gut and no chest.

    This isn't about Craig per se, he's in shape, that's just a generality.
    Well, tayloring should take care of that. After all, those clothes which look best on a certain physique have been taylored to fit that certain physique.
    I associate suits not mainly with well proportioned men. Many government officials or industry managers are far from being well proportioned, yet thanks to good tayloring they look elegant in their suit. It shouldn´t be too different with a bulked-up guy.

    Well that's the thing. It does make a particular person look their best, but it won't elevate a less aesthetically pleasing person over one who is more so.

    Not sure why well proportioned men wouldn't register as suit wearers, well turned out people come in all frames. David Gandy is as ardent a suit wearer as any and representative of your modern fashionable set.

    tumblr_nhvqnxHEP31t4s33lo5_500.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    boldfinger wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

    That's because he's toting a big arse machine gun.

    At the end of the day, all of this is nonsense anyway. It's all bullshyte. Arguing about the man's suit, cufflinks etc and what is or isn't proper yet, the intelligence agency he works for kits him with multiple Aston martins; yeeeeeeaah. The merits of what's couth is irrelevant. Bond is supposed to get away with the absurdities and the ridiculousness, it's essential to the charm of the series. Bond gets shot twice and falls from a speeding train thats on top of a high rise bridge, survives, mops around then goes back to work but sod all that, it's unrealistic because his suit looks too tight!
    It´s not about realism, it´s about style.
    When Cubby was asked what set Bond apart from the general action heros other films, he said, "Bond´s got style." There you have it.

    Which is exactly my point. Realism is overwhelmingly compromised in favour if style. The Bind movies are supposed to be absurd within reason which is why it's futile to moan about how impractical it is for Bond to be actioning it up in a suit. Like I said, it's part of the charm.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    doghouse wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    And to the follow on reply after yours, the one thing people always seem to really forget about, is that when it come to making someone look good, the physique is always number one. A well proportioned in shape person will always have a better look for a given outfit. People spend inordinate amounts of money on clothes and then can't comprehend why the still don't look like a model even though they have a gut and no chest.

    This isn't about Craig per se, he's in shape, that's just a generality.
    Well, tayloring should take care of that. After all, those clothes which look best on a certain physique have been taylored to fit that certain physique.
    I associate suits not mainly with well proportioned men. Many government officials or industry managers are far from being well proportioned, yet thanks to good tayloring they look elegant in their suit. It shouldn´t be too different with a bulked-up guy.

    Well that's the thing. It does make a particular person look their best, but it won't elevate a less aesthetically pleasing person over one who is more so.

    Not sure why well proportioned men wouldn't register as suit wearers, well turned out people come in all frames. David Gandy is as ardent a suit wearer as any and representative of your modern fashionable set.

    tumblr_nhvqnxHEP31t4s33lo5_500.jpg

    Yep, Gandy is one dapper mofo.
  • Posts: 5,767
    doubleoego wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

    That's because he's toting a big arse machine gun.

    At the end of the day, all of this is nonsense anyway. It's all bullshyte. Arguing about the man's suit, cufflinks etc and what is or isn't proper yet, the intelligence agency he works for kits him with multiple Aston martins; yeeeeeeaah. The merits of what's couth is irrelevant. Bond is supposed to get away with the absurdities and the ridiculousness, it's essential to the charm of the series. Bond gets shot twice and falls from a speeding train thats on top of a high rise bridge, survives, mops around then goes back to work but sod all that, it's unrealistic because his suit looks too tight!
    It´s not about realism, it´s about style.
    When Cubby was asked what set Bond apart from the general action heros other films, he said, "Bond´s got style." There you have it.

    Which is exactly my point. Realism is overwhelmingly compromised in favour if style. The Bind movies are supposed to be absurd within reason which is why it's futile to moan about how impractical it is for Bond to be actioning it up in a suit. Like I said, it's part of the charm.
    Exactly. And furthermore, a well-taylored suit made from sturdy material doesn´t have to be much less practical than combat gear. I´m not a fashion stud myself, so in my early years I used to hate suits for their uncomfortableness. But then one day I went to a proper taylor, and lo and behold, my new suit was at least as comfortable as my blue jeans and sweater.

  • Villiers53 would like to evoke the important subject of Bond's sunglasses.

    Importantly, they should only be worn when driving or in bright sun or snow!
    That said it is important, IVNSHO, that they are tortoise shell and not wire framed.
    This is because these frames look dreadful with suits and jackets and completely out of place in an urban environment.
    The Oliver Peoples (great brand by the way) but the style chosen just doesn't suit 007 and the TF rip offs that Daniel has sported thus far don't make the grade either. Villiers53 would strongly recommend a change to Persol's 714 as worn by McQueen in TTCA. They are oval so should suit Craig's face shape and are both elegant and sporty thus accommodating every wardrobe option.
    Style aficionados — what do you think?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2015 Posts: 11,135
    Figured I post this

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Villiers53 would like to evoke the important subject of Bond's sunglasses.

    Importantly, they should only be worn when driving or in bright sun or snow!
    That said it is important, IVNSHO, that they are tortoise shell and not wire framed.
    This is because these frames look dreadful with suits and jackets and completely out of place in an urban environment.
    The Oliver Peoples (great brand by the way) but the style chosen just doesn't suit 007 and the TF rip offs that Daniel has sported thus far don't make the grade either. Villiers53 would strongly recommend a change to Persol's 714 as worn by McQueen in TTCA. They are oval so should suit Craig's face shape and are both elegant and sporty thus accommodating every wardrobe option.
    Style aficionados — what do you think?

    You may get your wish @Villiers53. Apparently Craig has been seen sporting Persol 715 in Austria.

    Daniel-Graig-Spectre-Austria-Photocall-Fashion-Canada-Goose-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-2.jpg

    Personally, I liked his glasses in CR. I think one is Persol 2244 and the other is Persol 2720
    CR_0321.jpg

    ac013-persol-2720-aston-martin-dbs.jpg?itok=DQqmRc7O
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Figured I post this


    I hope this lady is not styling Daniel for 'Spectre'.
    The suit in illustrated shows all that is wrong. Way too tight, badly cut and he even looks ridiculous running in it. This is fashion, it is NOT style.

  • bondjames wrote: »

    You may get your wish @Villiers53. Apparently Craig has been seen sporting Persol 715 in Austria.

    Daniel-Graig-Spectre-Austria-Photocall-Fashion-Canada-Goose-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-2.jpg

    Personally, I liked his glasses in CR. I think one is Persol 2244 and the other is Persol 2720

    Interesting.
    Now I have to be a bit careful what I wish for. Maybe it's the camera angle but the 715s look a little narrow on his face?
    That said, oval and tortoise shell is definitely the way to go.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the camera angle but the 715s look a little narrow on his face?

    Agreed. With glasses, the face size (height and width) in proportion to the glasses are critical. It's such a pain finding a good one when I try to pick one out for myself because they don't all come in the right widths.
  • Posts: 260
    The 715s are way too narrow on his face. Looks pinched as hell.

    He goes very nice with boxier solid frames ala Mastroianni. The 2720 is ideal.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the camera angle but the 715s look a little narrow on his face?

    Agreed. With glasses, the face size (height and width) in proportion to the glasses are critical. It's such a pain finding a good one when I try to pick one out for myself because they don't all come in the right widths.

    You are 100% correct. I've lusted after these 715s for years — not least of all because they fold — but every time I try them on, they don't fit the bridge of my nose and are too narrow. You'd think Persol would make them in different fittings.
    Conversely, I have another pair of Persols that fit me just fine and a great pair of Oliver Peoples that are also a superb fit
  • Equally as concerning as the pinching 715s are his jeans in this shoot. They are way too tight and look like a real pair of ball crunchers - better suited to a 16 year old!
    Jeans for the mature male are a precarious business and, if worn at all, should be chosen with extreme care.
    Craig is now 46 and he should know this and he has got form in this area because he sported a dodgy pair in GWADT.
    If he must wear denim jeans (and I'm not sure Bond should - hopefully this was a photo call and they were in mufti) he should check out Dunhill. They do a great engineered fit that are narrow but avoid being too tight. Alternatively he can always try 501s but I've found their fit inconsistent.
    Better still, they should try Anderson & Sheppards new habadashery (17 Clifford Street London).
    IVNSHO (in Villiers53's not so humble opinion), it is one of the best men's store in the world for sweaters and trousers at the moment.
    They do a huge range of alternatives to jeans including beautiful cords and moleskins that are cut slim with button fronts, side fasteners and all the detail of bespoke. Truly elegant and cool alternatives to denim. Much more appropriate for 007!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Riding a white swan to Matera
    Posts: 12,436
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Figured I post this


    I hope this lady is not styling Daniel for 'Spectre'.
    The suit in illustrated shows all that is wrong. Way too tight, badly cut and he even looks ridiculous running in it. This is fashion, it is NOT style.
    Oh Temime is probably back. Mendes has said a few times that the same crews is returning (that worked on Skyfall) and she is experienced.
  • Posts: 260
    Yes, she is back. Hopefully a little more judicious with the fits this time.
  • doghouse wrote: »
    Yes, she is back. Hopefully a little more judicious with the fits this time.
    I have nothing against the lady but this is not the best of news.
    Hopefully she will up her game but I'm not holding my breath. Frankly it's either something you get or you don't and her efforts to date suggests she doesn't.
    Bond's look is so critical and OK, Daniel is not tall and lithe like Connery but he's in good shape and with the right tailor and the right choices, he could look so much more the part.
    I watched Dr.No last night for the hundredth time and Connery is just so well styled as 007- from his hair to the shabby chic beach gear at Crab Key - it is quite remarkable and makes a huge contribution to the movie.
    Oh well, at least Daniel can act!
  • Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    Yes, she is back. Hopefully a little more judicious with the fits this time.
    I have nothing against the lady but this is not the best of news.
    Hopefully she will up her game but I'm not holding my breath. Frankly it's either something you get or you don't and her efforts to date suggests she doesn't.
    Bond's look is so critical and OK, Daniel is not tall and lithe like Connery but he's in good shape and with the right tailor and the right choices, he could look so much more the part.
    I watched Dr.No last night for the hundredth time and Connery is just so well styled as 007- from his hair to the shabby chic beach gear at Crab Key - it is quite remarkable and makes a huge contribution to the movie.
    Oh well, at least Daniel can act!

    I'm optimistic. Ford knows his business so if given free reign I think you will see a much better look. We will know soon in the set photos how it's gonna go.

    I would have liked to see Everest do both Bond and M though.
  • doghouse wrote: »

    I'm optimistic. Ford knows his business so if given free reign I think you will see a much better look. We will know soon in the set photos how it's gonna go.

    I would have liked to see Everest do both Bond and M though.

    Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, I'm not a Tom Ford fan and am firmly of the opinion that the right level and tone will be difficult to achieve outside of Saville Row.
    I just hope we aren't going to have another 'Pee Wee Herman' moment!


  • Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »

    I'm optimistic. Ford knows his business so if given free reign I think you will see a much better look. We will know soon in the set photos how it's gonna go.

    I would have liked to see Everest do both Bond and M though.

    Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, I'm not a Tom Ford fan and am firmly of the opinion that the right level and tone will be difficult to achieve outside of Saville Row.
    I just hope we aren't going to have another 'Pee Wee Herman' moment!


    Well, Thom Browne would definitely do the Pee Wee Herman legs, but TF is plenty capable of a Savile Row look, he's intimately aware and versed in the whole scene. He even wrote the forward on James Sherwood's history of the Row.

    I don't see paying what he asks for RTW clothing (or accessories for that matter), but he certainly could do it right if given the freedom by the costume department. As I said though, I'd prefer Timothy Everest.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    Tom Ford isn't the problem, he tailors the suits to what Temime and the previous costume designer asked of him. Ford is like 008; he follows orders.
  • Posts: 260
    I mostly agree, though he uses factories instead of workshops. I don't think he made individual patterns for Craig, but I may be wrong.
  • It's interesting that Terence Young succeeded in creating such a strong image for Bond simply through his vision and by taking him to his personal tailor.
    Now we have a costume designer (Ms.Temime), a stylist (Mr.Ford) and presumably somebody making the stuff (probably Zegna) and still they can't get it right.
    A lot to be said for one vision n'est-ce pas?

  • Posts: 5,767
    Could it be that the amount of action is something the designers and stylists don´t take into account enough? No, can´t be really, Connery used to move his ass.
  • Posts: 260
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Could it be that the amount of action is something the designers and stylists don´t take into account enough? No, can´t be really, Connery used to move his ass.

    It's definitely taken into account. The suits used for the motorcycle scene had longer legs and arms.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Posts: 2,138
    I think TF do a great job, slim fit with skinny ties, smart and the fashion. I think the also do a great job with the casual jackets. Any that Midnight Blue Tuxedo in SF was sublime!. I have had a sneak at some of the stuff Dan was fitted for at TF in new york all very cool. There is an amazing suede leather dark brown bomber with leather pocket finish and a fluffy collar. And a stunning Navy sweater. Have not been allowed to see the suits so far despite begging lol.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2015 Posts: 11,135
    I think a film like the kingsman: a secret service vehemently reinforces why Bond should always be wonderfully suited and not go the uncouth, generic route of wearing more "casual/appropriate for action" clothing. Bond is first and foremost an English gentleman spy and as such, gorgeous suits are a prerequisite.

    Anyway, Colin Firth looks amazing in his Savile Row suits in the Kingsman movie and I'll leave you with this link

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2910461/Colin-Firth-looks-dapper-Saville-Row-suit-joined-beautiful-wife-Livia-Kingsman-Secret-Service-world-premiere.html


    And him in action; suited and booted



    EoN/Mendes/Costume department...take notes
Sign In or Register to comment.