The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

1246757

Comments

  • Sark wrote: »
    Does @Villiers53 always talk in the third person?

    No, only when he is dictating his responses via my good-self, his unfortunate and much put upon manservant.
  • bondjames wrote: »

    In my opinion, Connery, Dalton and Craig do it best, but Connery is far and away ahead of the pack in this regard. The man oozed machismo in a suit without being a thug and that's why he's #1 to many.

    How correct @bondjames is.
    Connery in his prime had a very louche air about him as do other great suit wearers past and present; David Niven, Cary Grant, Steve McQueen, Bryan Ferry and George Clooney to name but five.
    Loucheness is something to be strived for but it's a rare art and it assisted Connery enormously with his interpretation of Bond.
    Daniel Craig undoubtably has style it's just a different type of style and probably off duty he prefers more casual clothes.
    As said by many, in his 007 outings to date, he's looked better in casual attire — thuggish leather jacket and awful printed CR shirt withstanding.
    His suits have not at all been the best. They look to be off the peg or at best made to measure. They have also pandered to this bizarre 'Honey I Shrunk The Kids' look that was pioneered by Thom Browne and adopted by some supposedly fashion forward individuals. Frankly it is not serious and there is only one way for a suit to fit and that is properly. The solution is simple. Daniel has to go bespoke and find the right tailor.
    @Villiers53 is a great fan of A & S, they are independent, represent absolutely the best of British craftsmanship and have a great house style but, there are others.
    The photo posted by @bondjames earlier in this thread shows Connery wearing a fabulous suit in Dr.No. It was probably cut for him by who @Villiers53 thinks was Terence Young's own tailor, the late great Dougie Haywood.
    Dougie was absolutely the go to guy in his day but things aren't at all the same since he passed. Now it's all about entry level bespoke finished in the far east. Dougie would have shuddered!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    The photo posted by @bondjames earlier in this thread shows Connery wearing a fabulous suit in Dr.No. It was probably cut for him by who @Villiers53 thinks was Terence Young's own tailor, the late great Dougie Haywood.
    Dougie was absolutely the go to guy in his day but things aren't at all the same since he passed. Now it's all about entry level bespoke finished in the far east. Dougie would have shuddered!

    Antony Sinclair was Young's tailor and did the Dr. No pieces.

    Hayward was Moore's guy after Castle along with notables like Michael Caine.
  • doghouse wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    The photo posted by @bondjames earlier in this thread shows Connery wearing a fabulous suit in Dr.No. It was probably cut for him by who @Villiers53 thinks was Terence Young's own tailor, the late great Dougie Haywood.
    Dougie was absolutely the go to guy in his day but things aren't at all the same since he passed. Now it's all about entry level bespoke finished in the far east. Dougie would have shuddered!

    Antony Sinclair was Young's tailor and did the Dr. No pieces.

    Hayward was Moore's guy along with notables like Michael Caine.

    You are absolutely right @doghouse. I stand corrected. It was Antony Sinclair and what a great tailor he was!

  • Posts: 4,619
    What kind of clothes do you think Bond should wear when he isn't wearing a suit or a tuxedo? When and how often do you think he should ditch the suit?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    The polo shirt and trousers combination is always a good look, which Connery and Craig have proven works and I like the tie, shirt, jumper and trousers look too as Bond wore in Shanghai. Come to think of it, Bond's casual attire in QoS was wholly pretty good and I think they should stick to those sorts of outfits. As for the frequency in which Bond wears a suit, I think the ratio should be 65:35
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The polo shirt and trousers combination is always a good look, which Connery and Craig have proven works and I like the tie, shirt, jumper and trousers look too as Bond wore in Shanghai. Come to think of it, Bond's casual attire in QoS was wholly pretty good and I think they should stick to those sorts of outfits. As for the frequency in which Bond wears a suit, I think the ratio should be 65:35

    Totally with you on this, and it should suit the setting. Craig did look good in Haiti in the early parts (when he takes out Slate and meets Camille). Also in CR, apart from the aforementioned multi-colour shirt. I loved the polo/slacks look. To me that's how Bond should look in casual gear.
  • Posts: 260
    I'd ditch the polo for a button up shirt, linen and such. Don't want to look like the IT department.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The polo shirt and trousers combination is always a good look, which Connery and Craig have proven works and I like the tie, shirt, jumper and trousers look too as Bond wore in Shanghai. Come to think of it, Bond's casual attire in QoS was wholly pretty good and I think they should stick to those sorts of outfits. As for the frequency in which Bond wears a suit, I think the ratio should be 65:35

    Totally with you on this, and it should suit the setting. Craig did look good in Haiti in the early parts (when he takes out Slate and meets Camille). Also in CR, apart from the aforementioned multi-colour shirt. I loved the polo/slacks look. To me that's how Bond should look in casual gear.

    While on QoS and CR, I prefer Craig to have darker slacks, whatever style they may be. For example, I prefer his attire for the final assault on Greene to his Haitian get up. In fact, one of my favourite Craig looks is his MI6 jogging attire, I wouldn't be averse to seeing him in something similar perhaps jogging near his Chelsea flat (non-standard issue, obviously).
  • doghouse wrote: »
    I'd ditch the polo for a button up shirt, linen and such. Don't want to look like the IT department.
    A dark blue or white linen shirt with well cut chinos can be a good hot weather alternative but those Sunspel polo shirts are an amazing fit, have a great collar that even makes them look good under a linen jacket. Frankly they've become something of a staple with me and I order a couple new each year. I can understand why Craig favours them.
    In fact I think they made Connery's toweling polo for him in Dr.No?

  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Riding a white swan to Matera
    Posts: 12,436
    My quick note on my personal preferences for Bond:

    Suits? Yes, definitely and more than one kind please. And fitting correctly, not too tight.
    Formal wear? Yes, definitely but not necessarily a tux.
    Shades? Oh yes at some point.
    Watch? I love Omega watches; they are gorgeous. I am fine with Omega or Rolex.
    Casual wear? Yes, but make it classy and comfortable (never sloppy or cheap looking)

    I am really looking forward to Bond's wardrobe in SPECTRE because it gives enough time, I think, to the snowy/very cold environment for him to have some really handsome outfits, casual as well as sporting.

    One thing I don't want: an obvious earpiece for communication. No, no, no.
  • Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    AVB wrote: »
    I think some people are just on nostalgia trips with Bond. Moreso than ever, Bond is an action man and therefore it's coming to the point where his penchant for suits whilst on mission is looking out of place.
    That´s why he should wear his suits comfortably. As for being up to date, the point that suits look out of place on a mission was already used as a joke in the opening of a Bond film in 1987.

    Suits in movies look cool, just look at Inception.

    Suits never look out of place on James Bond. The more he fights in a suit the better.

    I'd agree but to a point. I think part of what defines Bond is his masculinity. It's ingrained. Inbred if you will. It's not the clothes that make Bond. Bond makes the clothes. That feeling has to come across on the screen.

    In my opinion, Connery, Dalton and Craig do it best, but Connery is far and away ahead of the pack in this regard. The man oozed machismo in a suit without being a thug and that's why he's #1 to many.

    The problem here is not everyone is Connery. Therefore, the producers have to find outfits that fit the image of the actor they have. As I said earlier, I really like Craig's look for most of CR (except for the patterned shirt in Africa, although given the location, it could be forgiven - one thing's for sure - he pulled that abomination off better than I could!).

    I'm ok with Bond in a suit and fighting in a suit, but not too much. I found that was the case with Brosnan (it was taken too far in some of his movies). I prefer the Connery TB balance between well tailored (but not mannequined suit) and smart casual when the situation calls for it. But that's just me.
    It´s no problem that not everyone is Connery, as Moore easily proved with his suits.

    I´m speaking of his proper suits, not his safari suit.

  • Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    I'd ditch the polo for a button up shirt, linen and such. Don't want to look like the IT department.
    A dark blue or white linen shirt with well cut chinos can be a good hot weather alternative but those Sunspel polo shirts are an amazing fit, have a great collar that even makes them look good under a linen jacket. Frankly they've become something of a staple with me and I order a couple new each year. I can understand why Craig favours them.
    In fact I think they made Connery's toweling polo for him in Dr.No?

    Could be, I'm not sure.

    I prefer the Thunderball look, with several short sleeve shirts with linen pants.

  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    AVB wrote: »
    I think some people are just on nostalgia trips with Bond. Moreso than ever, Bond is an action man and therefore it's coming to the point where his penchant for suits whilst on mission is looking out of place.
    That´s why he should wear his suits comfortably. As for being up to date, the point that suits look out of place on a mission was already used as a joke in the opening of a Bond film in 1987.

    Suits in movies look cool, just look at Inception.

    Suits never look out of place on James Bond. The more he fights in a suit the better.

    I'd agree but to a point. I think part of what defines Bond is his masculinity. It's ingrained. Inbred if you will. It's not the clothes that make Bond. Bond makes the clothes. That feeling has to come across on the screen.

    In my opinion, Connery, Dalton and Craig do it best, but Connery is far and away ahead of the pack in this regard. The man oozed machismo in a suit without being a thug and that's why he's #1 to many.

    The problem here is not everyone is Connery. Therefore, the producers have to find outfits that fit the image of the actor they have. As I said earlier, I really like Craig's look for most of CR (except for the patterned shirt in Africa, although given the location, it could be forgiven - one thing's for sure - he pulled that abomination off better than I could!).

    I'm ok with Bond in a suit and fighting in a suit, but not too much. I found that was the case with Brosnan (it was taken too far in some of his movies). I prefer the Connery TB balance between well tailored (but not mannequined suit) and smart casual when the situation calls for it. But that's just me.
    It´s no problem that not everyone is Connery, as Moore easily proved with his suits.

    I´m speaking of his proper suits, not his safari suit.

    Outside of Connery, I think Lazenby wore a suit and looked amazing in it better than the other actors. Lazenby just looked impeccable in a suit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I completely forgot about Lazenby. I watched OHMSS the other day and I agree that he looked great in a suit. He had a very good physique & height, being younger than the other actors as well, and the cuts were great too. I wasn't too keen on the white shoes I saw in one scene though.

    Moore deserves a lot of credit for getting through the 70's with the bell bottoms and big pointy collars and still looking suitably suave and dapper.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,584
    Daniel Craig was seen filming lake scenes in Austria, wearing a blue Canada Goose jacket.
    1192791_w747h560v45419_See1.jpg

    1193476_w747h560v8146_DSCN3613.jpg

    Looks like it's the Canada Goose Lodge Down Jacket.

    Screen-Shot-2012-12-10-at-9.36.31-AM.png
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Posts: 1,208
    @jake24 great pic ;-)
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I completely forgot about Lazenby. I watched OHMSS the other day and I agree that he looked great in a suit. He had a very good physique & height, being younger than the other actors as well, and the cuts were great too. I wasn't too keen on the white shoes I saw in one scene though.

    Moore deserves a lot of credit for getting through the 70's with the bell bottoms and big pointy collars and still looking suitably suave and dapper.

    Yes, I forgot poor George and you're completely correct, he was one hell of a clothes horse. His days as a 'BIG FRY' model payed off. He even succeeded in looking good in a kilt and a frilly shirt - not easy!
    IMNSHO, OHMSS is a great movie but one that I would love to see remade. It has such a strong story but the action sequences have aged badly. Much more so than FRWL.

  • Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    It has such a strong story but the action sequences have aged badly. Much more so than FRWL.

    I concur.


    On another note, I'd like to see Craig with some Deakins & Francis cufflinks.

    Deakin%20and%20Francis%20cufflinks.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1333731926209
  • Mon Dieu!
    @ doghouse, Villiers53 would like to know if we are dressing 007 or Keith Richards?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    Haha ny thought as well.
  • Posts: 260
    He can get some too. They make designs for all tastes. As a matter of fact D&F probably made every cufflink Bond has worn, they have just been re-labled.
  • Posts: 5,767
    You guys are hilarious, I never even noticed that Bond was wearing cufflinks at all ;-).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,508
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The polo shirt and trousers combination is always a good look, which Connery and Craig have proven works and I like the tie, shirt, jumper and trousers look too as Bond wore in Shanghai. Come to think of it, Bond's casual attire in QoS was wholly pretty good and I think they should stick to those sorts of outfits. As for the frequency in which Bond wears a suit, I think the ratio should be 65:35

    Agreed. Craig wore this to full effect in the Haiti scenes in QoS (though I've never understood how his cream-colored Levis didn't have a spot of blood on them).

    As for the other topic that's filled this thread: Craig's suits in SF. the only one that's truly snug is the gray Tom Ford suit in the PTS, and this was by design. Any suggestion that the fashion world, as a whole, found them too tight is not accurate...

    http://menstylefashion.com/skyfall-james-bond-sets-the-tight-grey-suit-trend/
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    edited January 2015 Posts: 560
    anyone knows if the Bond ladies will be British or can Prada/Miu Miu make the Bond clothes for Léa ? :-/
  • doghouse wrote: »
    He can get some too. They make designs for all tastes. As a matter of fact D&F probably made every cufflink Bond has worn, they have just been re-labled.

    I think it appropriate for Bond to wear cuff links with black tie but not with business suits.
    That said, something subdued would be more appropriate.
    In reality the only acceptable accesories for a man are a 1953 Rolex Oyster Perpetual with a white face and steel band, a gunmetal cigarette case and an oxidised Ronson lighter.
    If we introduce the last two, the product placement guys will want to introduce a branded home use medical oxygen tank. I therefore suggest we stick with the watch!

  • Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    He can get some too. They make designs for all tastes. As a matter of fact D&F probably made every cufflink Bond has worn, they have just been re-labled.

    I think it appropriate for Bond to wear cuff links with black tie but not with business suits.
    That said, something subdued would be more appropriate.
    In reality the only acceptable accesories for a man are a 1953 Rolex Oyster Perpetual with a white face and steel band, a gunmetal cigarette case and an oxidised Ronson lighter.
    If we introduce the last two, the product placement guys will want to introduce a branded home use medical oxygen tank. I therefore suggest we stick with the watch!


    The Skyfall cylinder cufflinks were quite nice I'd say, and appropriate.

    ac036-tom-ford-cufflinks-cylinder-skyfall-james-bond.jpg?itok=G48Ttt5o

  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,135
    Wearing cufflinks exclusively with dinner suits is ridiculous. Cuff links can of course be worn with an actual suit.
  • doghouse wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    He can get some too. They make designs for all tastes. As a matter of fact D&F probably made every cufflink Bond has worn, they have just been re-labled.

    I think it appropriate for Bond to wear cuff links with black tie but not with business suits.
    That said, something subdued would be more appropriate.
    In reality the only acceptable accesories for a man are a 1953 Rolex Oyster Perpetual with a white face and steel band, a gunmetal cigarette case and an oxidised Ronson lighter.
    If we introduce the last two, the product placement guys will want to introduce a branded home use medical oxygen tank. I therefore suggest we stick with the watch!


    The Skyfall cylinder cufflinks were quite nice I'd say, and appropriate.

    ac036-tom-ford-cufflinks-cylinder-skyfall-james-bond.jpg?itok=G48Ttt5o
    It's an interesting shot that illustrates my point.
    The shirt is not a great fit at the shoulder and looks to be slightly too long in the sleeve and with Daniel's chiseled features, the collar should have a medium spread.
    On the jewellery front, frankly I think the watch and cuff links make for too much metal.
    Compare this to the elegant Connery look in Dr.No with those fabulous barrel cuffs and the Rolex and maybe you'll see what I mean.
    Also, I have to say, this shot shows how bad poor old Daniel's hair cut was. Hopefully it will be decently done this time around.


  • AVBAVB
    Posts: 97
    To Craigs credit he looks excellent in everything he wears. But Bond does not wear jeans, despite what I said about updating. In the QoS desert scene for example it just looked bizarre. He could have worn khaki's there.
Sign In or Register to comment.