The David Arnold Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I do sort of wish it is an alternate version to that of the single release.

I prefer the theatrical version to that of the commercial version. Because it has more brasses and they're louder as heard in the opening titles.

The film version also has high strings which are missing in the soundtrack. I do wish the film version was included as it is better, though I doubt it'll happen. At least we can get a clean rip from the film provided a little bit of editing is employed.

I also notice Caviar Factory is extended. Perhaps it now features the little Bond fanfare heard right after the BMW missile destroys the helicopter.

I do wish they'd put together a film version of Come in 007, Your Time Is Up, with the stripped-down orchestration that is heard when the boat is driving on the streets, rather than the full mix available in the album version. But this is just nitpicking. My ears are excited!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I really want to hear all that unreleased stuff, but seriously, do people still own CD players?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jake24 wrote: »
    I really want to hear all that unreleased stuff, but seriously, do people still own CD players?

Does a computer count? ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »

Wouldn't one need a disc drive? Those are pretty scarce on newer laptops (mine included).
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,272
    Wonder if there's a market for expanded scores on vinyl? That would have been something!

Apple have quit making disc drives for their laptops, I think. The market for CD isn't that big anymore, that's for sure. I have an old 80's CD player I still use, but that's about it (not counting my 2012 Macbook Pro, which I'm writing this on).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    A digital asset is just a slice of the remains that only the buyer would own it, and one day they can have the tenacity to disappear from online stores. CDs, physical objects, however have their values increased as years go by and they slowly turn into rarities as they no longer become available in stock. That's why I prefer physical objects (discs, books, films, etc) to any of the digital stuff resorts. Wouldn't mind owning the digital variants on my devices, but they're not what I'd put as the objects I own in my inventory, so to speak.
    A digital asset is just a slice of the remains that only the buyer would own it, and one day they can have the tenacity to disappear from online stores. CDs, physical objects, however have their values increased as years go by and they slowly turn into rarities as they no longer become available in stock. That's why I prefer physical objects (discs, books, films, etc) to any of the digital stuff resorts. Wouldn't mind owning the digital variants on my devices, but they're not what I'd put as the objects I own in my inventory, so to speak.
    I hear you, it's just annoying for me as I love the TWINE score but it'd be difficult to find a way to listen to the expanded edition.
    I see your points, @ClarkDevlin. I prefer the physical formats too, if having the ability to store them at least. Been downsizing quite a bit recently (films, books, etc.) and definitely see the advantage of digital formats.

Will there be a digital release of the expanded TWINE score?
    I hear you, it's just annoying for me as I love the TWINE score but it'd be difficult to find a way to listen to the expanded edition.
    Don't worry, mate. There are always those who can provide you with the required help. ;)
    I see your points, @ClarkDevlin. I prefer the physical formats too, if having the ability to store them at least. Been downsizing quite a bit recently (films, books, etc.) and definitely see the advantage of digital formats.

I think it depends on the product itself, @Torgeirtrap. For instance, I wouldn't buy the BluRay to a film I have had mixed feelings about it despite enjoying it to an extent, let alone owning a disposable film. I get the digital format, and that's it. But, those that pose with real value to me, I own physically. Same thing applies to every other media genre.

As for a digital release, I'm not sure. But, there's just might be something instilled on iTunes. Can't say for sure.
    Don't worry, mate. There are always those who can provide you with the required help. ;)

I think it depends on the product itself, @Torgeirtrap. For instance, I wouldn't buy the BluRay to a film I have had mixed feelings about it despite enjoying it to an extent, let alone owning a disposable film. I get the digital format, and that's it. But, those that pose with real value to me, I own physically. Same thing applies to every other media genre.

As for a digital release, I'm not sure. But, there's just might be something instilled on iTunes. Can't say for sure.

The titles that holds real value to me, I own in a physical format – like you. A digital format edition would be an additional purchase if needed (some actually come with a digital download too, which is great). The less important titles – or stuff than I'm just a little curious about, I try to find digitally. As you say, it depends on the product.

I'll have a look for a digital download on iTunes! If that's not an option, then CD is the way to go.

It's not that long since I last bought a score on CD, actually. It was a limited edition of the film version of the Bullitt score. The version available on Spotify for example, is a rerecording.

Wouldn't one need a disc drive? Those are pretty scarce on newer laptops (mine included).

Yes. Mine has a disc drive. I always make sure one does. It's rather troubling to hear they are not so common anymore though.
  • jake24 wrote: »

Companies like Apple really jumped the gun with doing away with disc drives. 4K is just emerging as a format for home entertainment. The market for physical media is clearly alive and well and won’t be disappearing soon.

It’s doubtful the expanded TWINE will have a digital release, but you can always get an external drive for your computer.
    In my case, I always rip them from the disc.

I usually do that with CD's too. It's great to have an additional copy available.

I usually do that with CD's too. It's great to have an additional copy available.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I’d love to buy this, but can anyone tell me how on Earth I’ll be able to listen to it? My car has no CD player anymore, neither does my laptop.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’d love to buy this, but can anyone tell me how on Earth I’ll be able to listen to it? My car has no CD player anymore, neither does my laptop.
    You can always rip it from the disc and attach the files to an MP3 player or whichever device that you have.
    @ClarkDevlin Will an IPhone do?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin Will an IPhone do?
    Of course. Fellow iPhone user here myself.
    I presume most Blu-Ray and DVD players can also play audio CDs. My DVD player can, anyway.
    Thanks fellas!
    Ordered.

"Let the mayhem begin."
    "Welcome to my nuclear family." :D
    Go ahead. Order it. I welcome it. La-La Land Records will sell the album, and bill you.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    It's nothing personal. It's purely... business.
    Play it again Sam.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia

Give this man a lifelong Bond contract.
    The TWINE expanded soundtrack ships today. The wait for it will be extremely excruciating but well worth it.
    3JWoHXim.jpg
    Has he been holding his breath since 1999?
    I would hope not. :))