The David Arnold Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I figure I'd leave this here.

I haven't been able to stop listening to it since I first heard it. I really enjoy it. It's got some CR/QOS and OHMSS vibes to it. I really enjoy it. This is what I call Bondian. It's nice that David Arnold is able to contribute something to the Bond franchise for the first time since 2012. It's a shame he isn't scoring No Time To Die but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I do hope he gets a chance to score another Bond film in the future.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Murdock wrote: »

I haven't been able to stop listening to it since I first heard it. I really enjoy it. It's got some CR/QOS and OHMSS vibes to it. I really enjoy it. This is what I call Bondian. It's nice that David Arnold is able to contribute something to the Bond franchise for the first time since 2012. It's a shame he isn't scoring No Time To Die but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I do hope he gets a chance to score another Bond film in the future.

It's a great piece of Bondian music. I love it!

It's the most exciting Bond music since....well since the QoS soundtrack...

Says it all really....
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

That's great, directors chosing there own composer's is blocking a much needed Arnold return
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,395
    Great music indeed. Love it.

Why is this woman in the middle of nowhere with an AMDB5 without carkeys?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, shared this on the YouTube thread yesterday, failed to share it here. It's been stuck in my head since I listened to it last night; exactly what the series needs is something like that. I'd kill for Arnold to return once again.
    It's almost as if Arnold is saying "Follow that, Romer!" :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have avoided the Romer thread as I find his previous work incredibly dull, I am hoping to be surprised by his score though my gut tells me that he may make Newman's work on Bond look good
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, That's my same fear as well. I just hope and I mean HOPE that I'm wrong and Romer delivers a great score.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, That's my same fear as well. I just hope and I mean HOPE that I'm wrong and Romer delivers a great score.

I think Romer will have to make quite a departure from his usual sound to grab my interest

I think Romer will have to make quite a departure from his usual sound to grab my interest

That's my thoughts as well. I don't think his typical Irish folk fantasy movie style is fit for a Bond film.
    Just wanted to say that I almost had a car accident today. Why? Because I had the new tune from Arnold playing on repeat. It reminded me of stuff like White Knight and how much I used to love driving to it. Same with the OHMSS soundtrack, I usually have it on the car all year long. But listening to the new Arnold track took me back. Back to those carefree days when I made 180s with the car while listening to the new Bond soundtrack.
    @Univex, I can relate. I have a Bond mixtape CD filled with a lot of Arnold tracks and I'm almost always tempted to gun it behind the wheel when I listen to his stuff. :D

That's my thoughts as well. I don't think his typical Irish folk fantasy movie style is fit for a Bond film.

Some of Romer's moody incidental music puts me to sleep, some people may like his work which is great though I prefer more energy in tracks and scores. I felt Newman's scores never really went for it either, many times in SF I kept thinking ramp up the music
    @Univex, I can relate. I have a Bond mixtape CD filled with a lot of Arnold tracks and I'm almost always tempted to gun it behind the wheel when I listen to his stuff. :D

Same. It really is quite dangerous/lovely :-D
    Univex wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that I almost had a car accident today. Why? Because I had the new tune from Arnold playing on repeat. It reminded me of stuff like White Knight and how much I used to love driving to it. Same with the OHMSS soundtrack, I usually have it on the car all year long. But listening to the new Arnold track took me back. Back to those carefree days when I made 180s with the car while listening to the new Bond soundtrack.

The good thing is you are ok, though indeed we as film fans like music than inspires us
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677

The good thing is you are ok, though indeed we as film fans like music than inspires us

I spun out on a roundabout. My 1000kg car with rear wheel drive got the best of me while listening to the N. Peal Bond collection David Arnold music.

Loved it, btw ;) My afternoon at work was considerably better for it.

Crazy Bond fans!

I spun out on a roundabout. My 1000kg car with rear wheel drive got the best of me while listening to the N. Peal Bond collection David Arnold music.

Loved it, btw.

I have listened to it a few times it is very good, I need to add it to my Bond playlist

edited October 2019 Posts: 3,985

It's such a great track, i must put it on my Bond playlist.

Arnold showing the others how its done!

I find the ultimate Bond track for driving is the OHMSS theme at full blast. 2 and a half minutes of sheer bliss!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,395
    I watched QOS over the weekend and I realised again how much I miss his scores in the last two movies. The music in QOS is fantastic and full of different great pieces. I especially liked the scene where Bond and Camille walk through the desert while you see that only some water drops are left for the natives. Perfect combination of sound and image. This shows that a) Arnold is great and b) that QOS could have been great with more time to breathe.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,327

This would have been a good Bond track... Play Dead Bjork featuring David Arnold
    I think Romer and Newman are more in touch with the current style of scoring movies. Gentle, don’t distract from the picture, create atmosphere and soundscapes, complement, submissive to the action and script.

No wonder I don’t go to the cinema much anymore.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,327
    I stumbled on this recent interview with David Arnold, he is working with Moffat again on a Dracula mini series, great stuff.

David starts talking Bond around 28:40 mark, he talks a lot about the process of scoring CR and Chris Cornell. It's an excellent interview
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I watched QOS over the weekend and I realised again how much I miss his scores in the last two movies. The music in QOS is fantastic and full of different great pieces. I especially liked the scene where Bond and Camille walk through the desert while you see that only some water drops are left for the natives. Perfect combination of sound and image. This shows that a) Arnold is great and b) that QOS could have been great with more time to breathe.

His best score.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 16,330
    vzok wrote: »
    I think Romer and Newman are more in touch with the current style of scoring movies. Gentle, don’t distract from the picture, create atmosphere and soundscapes, complement, submissive to the action and script.

More like out of touch for what makes good music. Current movie scoring trends put me to sleep. Give me the days where any movie, even bad ones had great memorable soundtracks instead of the boring, droning unmemorable crap we've been treated to since the mid 2000's.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,279

More like out of touch for what makes good music. Current movie scoring trends put me to sleep. Give me the days where any movie, even bad ones had great memorable soundtracks instead of the boring, droning unmemorable crap we've been treated to since the mid 2000's.

Couldn't agree more!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,024

That’s what they seem to want these days, atmosphere.

Atmosphere!!!! Take a hike!
    latest?cb=20130408165058
    Shame he didn't get the gig... But fresh blood can be a good thing so lets hope for a good result :)

Atmosphere!!!! Take a hike!
    latest?cb=20130408165058

Strangling a cat?
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    I didn't know where to put this, but as I was listening through the DAD soundtrack (something I haven't done for years), I came across this nice little find (note what the low brass are doing):

Sound familiar?

Edit: Not sure why the videos aren't starting where I have them set, but:

DAD: 5:35
    CR Trailer: 2:08
    QOS Trailer: 1:39