The David Arnold Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Murdock wrote: »
    What if the new blood sucks as bad as Newman?
    It's a chance I'm willing to take. It's the only way we get better. Constant recreation and innovation. Craig for instance, despite Brozza being serviceable and being at his best on his last outing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's hoping.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Here's hoping.
    I'll admit there's a risk. I would have more confidence if EON hadn't greenlighted the rehash that Newman came up with for SP, but hopefully they will realize that they have to up their game with the next one.

It's troubling to hear the amazing (and soon to be iconic imho) main theme in the Kingsman 2 trailer and realize that Jackman created all that in 2015 as well.
    I've been listening to some of Arnold's work on Sherlock, These are some pretty nice tracks that could have fit in perfectly in Skyfall and Spectre.

(This one starts a bit slow but it sounds a lot like Tomorrow Never Dies towards the end.)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,009
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I greatly appreciate a longer vacation for Mr Arnold away from the franchise, there is no such thing as too short in this particular instance.
    bondjames wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I greatly appreciate a longer vacation for Mr Arnold away from the franchise, there is no such thing as too short in this particular instance.
    Better make that two. I'd be open to a permanent holiday.

He's had his five. Time for some new blood.

You're both in the wrong thread, I think ;)
    Then there's the oft overlooked "Submarine," which upon close listen contains a lot of great work and which never fails.

"Submarine" works very hard to inject excitement into what is otherwise a pretty dull climax.
    David Arnold's scores were better than Thomas Newman's lousy "music".
    Robertson wrote: »
    David Arnold's scores were better than Thomas Newman's lousy "music".

Here Here! :-bd
  • We certainly don't need any more David Arnold Bond scores. Five is more than enough.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=5009&d=1381322267
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Been listening to the CR soundtrack in the car going to work, and its so good!

Great action cues and that gorgeous track, 'City of Lovers' that could have come from John Barry himself.

Forgot how good the music is for that moment Bond chases after Vesper when he realises he's been duped, which is titled, 'The Switch'

Another nice track is the brief but lovely, 'Solange'
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Great action cues and that gorgeous track, 'City of Lovers' that could have come from John Barry himself.

Forgot how good the music is for that moment Bond chases after Vesper when he realises he's been duped, which is titled, 'The Switch'

Agreed on all points. 'African Rundown' is exceptional too.
    "could have come from John Barry himself"

I think thats the key issue. Some fans think that thats a compliment and some a criticism as its too much like Barry. Arnold will never be able to win over all of the fans. Having said that, if a new composer ignores the Barry legacy, many fans will want Arnold back.

Barry was an amazing talant but, as a fan base, I think we have to let him go at some point. We can't be listening to new "Barryesque" soundtracks in 20 years....or can we?
    suavejmf wrote: »

Goes without saying. 'African Rundown' is one of Arnold's all time best action cues.

I think his scores are respectfully similar to Barry's style but with his own distinctive way of composing. I think all his Bond scores have been tremendous.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    suavejmf wrote: »

Goes without saying. 'African Rundown' is one of Arnold's all time best action cues.

I think his scores are respectfully similar to Barry's style but with his own distinctive way of composing. I think all his Bond scores have been tremendous.
    Amen!
    Personally I have nothing against Arnold or Newman to be honest. Overall I am just looking forward to a new James Bond movie!
    I recently found the extended DAD soundtrack on youtube. When watching the film recently I realised there was a huge chunk of the score missing from the generic Soundtrack.

Glad the rest of the score is available as it's a cracking soundtrack.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,586
    I recently found the extended DAD soundtrack on youtube. When watching the film recently I realised there was a huge chunk of the score missing from the generic Soundtrack.

It features some of his best work, and is hugely overlooked on sites like these given the film it accompanies.
    jake24 wrote: »

It features some of his best work, and is hugely overlooked on sites like these given the film it accompanies.

All very true. Just love the music when Zao escapes from the Clinic in the Helicopter!

As usual Arnold's action cues in this are second to none.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Agreed. Very good score on the whole - the drum and bass stuff is grating at points but overall it's a fun listen. Deserved a far better film to accompany it.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,985
    patb wrote: »
    "could have come from John Barry himself"

I think thats the key issue. Some fans think that thats a compliment and some a criticism as its too much like Barry. Arnold will never be able to win over all of the fans. Having said that, if a new composer ignores the Barry legacy, many fans will want Arnold back.

Barry was an amazing talant but, as a fan base, I think we have to let him go at some point. We can't be listening to new "Barryesque" soundtracks in 20 years....or can we?

I think the 'Barry' sound is synonymous with the Bond films and it works.

Arnold said at the time he was going to produce the TND score from a fans point of view and emulate Barry's sound (Just like Michael Giacchino did with The Incredibles)

I think Arnold's scores are second only to Barry and work very well with their respective films. It was thrilling hearing Arnold's Barryesque score when seeing TND for the first time.
    Glad to see this thread getting more attention. Arnold is a fantastic Bond composer. :-bd
  • RC7RC7
    I think the opening sequence of TND is one the very best in the series and a lot of this can be put down to Arnold's score. 'White Knight' is a rip-roaring accompaniment to what is a wonderfully paced intro. I actually think it does cross-cutting in a more effective way than SF's PTS. The whole thing is a stellar opening for a Bond film. Big, brash and brilliant.
    I've been listening to some of Arnold's work on Sherlock, These are some pretty nice tracks that could have fit in perfectly in Skyfall and Spectre.

(This one starts a bit slow but it sounds a lot like Tomorrow Never Dies towards the end.)

@Murdock Lovely stuff, I had never listened to Arnold's Sherlock stuff before.

Btw, from 4:35 to 4:55 in second track you posted, it sounds unmistakably like a powerful rendition of "Vesper". I can totally see something similar feature in Craig's swan song.
    @jake24, It also sounds a lot like the Bond and Paris theme from TND. :D
    They're similar, but this almost seems directly recycled.

True, Since it wasn't a Bond film he probably thought no one would notice. :))

True, Since it wasn't a Bond film he probably thought no one would notice. :))
    I can totally see it fitting into "The bitch is dead" scene in CR.
    Agreed. I can see that as well. :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Just put this here -

I love that track. It's one of my favorite establishing shot cues.