The David Arnold Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Arnold would have contributed better and more memorable music that Newman. I can't help but feel how much better SF and SP would have been with music from Arnold.
  • 32 posts in 11 months says it all. Newman has given the films a touch of classs that Arnold was unable to achieve apart from a handful of cues.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    32 posts in 11 months says it all. Newman has given the films a touch of classs that Arnold was unable to achieve apart from a handful of cues.

It doesn't, really. Considering that most comments on the Newman thread are arguments and/or who should succeed him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    32 posts in 11 months says it all. Newman has given the films a touch of classs that Arnold was unable to achieve apart from a handful of cues.

appreciation

əpriːʃɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,-sɪ-/

noun

recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.

"I smiled in appreciation"

synonyms:valuing, respect, prizing, cherishing,treasuring, admiration, regard,esteem, high opinion

"appreciation of literature comes only from first-hand study of the works of great writers"

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    32 posts in 11 months says it all. Arnold Newman has given the films a touch of classs that Newman Arnold was unable to achieve apart from a handful of cues.
    Fixed it for you since this is after all...an APPRECIATION thread.
    8-|
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I appreciate that Arnold has moved onto other things.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »

It was funny the first time someone said it.

It was funny the first time someone said it.

Didn't see that. Should have quoted it. Cheers
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Was watching the criminally underrated TWINE yesterday, which has an above-par score from start to finish.

Btw, this thread should be used to talk (and to praise) Arnold and not his "blacklisted or not?" thread, which makes it look like we're hating on him from an outsider's pov if they don't open the comments. Also, I never knew that this forum allowed 'hate threads', so I don't understand why it's there. We know he's not blacklisted anyway.
    Hate thread? I don't see any hate thread here. He hasn't made a film score in some time and that's why that thread was started as I recall.
    Hate thread? I don't see any hate thread here. He hasn't made a film score in some time and that's why that thread was started as I recall.

That's a fair point, but we've discussed the matter and come to the conclusion that he isn't blacklisted. Since that was the thread's purpose: it no longer needs to be used. Just saying.

That's a fair point, but we've discussed the matter and come to the conclusion that he isn't blacklisted. Since that was the thread's purpose: it no longer needs to be used. Just saying.
    Fair enough.
  • RC7RC7
    Was watching the criminally underrated TWINE yesterday, which has an above-par score from start to finish.

Btw, this thread should be used to talk (and to praise) Arnold and not his "blacklisted or not?" thread, which makes it look like we're hating on him from an outsider's pov if they don't open the comments. Also, I never knew that this forum allowed 'hate threads', so I don't understand why it's there. We know he's not blacklisted anyway.

I really enjoy the TWINE score. Pipeline is excellent.
    RC7 wrote: »

I really enjoy the TWINE score. Pipeline is excellent.

Agreed.
  • Great action writing all around in TWINE. "Come In 007, Your Time Is Up" is frequently cited as a high point, but "Going Down - The Bunker" and ""Pipeline" are favorites of mine. I especially love the pulsing beat and dramatic horns that drive "Going Down - The Bunker," accompanied by playful Bondian flourishes that wink like Bond lashing out his belt, smiling at Natalya, and saying "Trust me" (to borrow an image from a different Brosnan flick). Similarly, "Caviar Factory" is almost ridiculously fun—an excellent combination of mounting danger and groovy bravado. Then there's the oft overlooked "Submarine," which upon close listen contains a lot of great work and which never fails to satisfyingly cap off the TWINE listening experience for me.

Arnold really did move into a whole different realm of Bond writing for Craig's tenure—a sound not necessarily better, but not lesser either, and one wholly appropriate for Craig's films—culminating in what some consider his best overall score for Bond yet: QoS. But hot damn, Arnold was really able to let rip during those playfully orchestrated action set-pieces of the 90s. Part of me longs for a return to playful, escapist Bond adventure just to hear more of this kind of music from Arnold.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Been listening to that masterpiece that is Tomorrow Never Dies in the car. The full length soundtrack is a fantastic score.

Love the way Arnold twists the Bond theme in the track, 'A tricky spot for 007' just so clever.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think Arnold would have contributed better and more memorable music that Newman. I can't help but feel how much better SF and SP would have been with music from Arnold.

+1.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,279
    Arnold really grew in the role as Bond composer from when he first began on TND, to completely filling the big shoes left by Barry by the time he did QoS.

Much of the score of CR is up there with the very best Barry Bond scores (OHMSS, DAF, MR, TLD), and sounds very much like Barry himself wrote it.

QoS evokes Barry circa 1971, particularly the brilliant Night at the Opera.

I really hope he returns for the next one, as I think Newman has been the weakest link in the past 2 Craig films.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DAD is his most overlooked score (likely due to the film it accompanies), and definitely one of his best. It gives the film some much needed class.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just listening to CR, and man, so exciting-- great pieces of music to so many great scenes.

What a film. What a soundtrack.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    David Arnold is a perfect example of:

You don't know what you got until it's gone

I wonder if EON seriously believe the scores for SF and SP are any good.
    I wonder if EON seriously believe the scores for SF and SP are any good.

Hopefully they don't.
  • RC7RC7
    DA gets Bond.
    Listened to a few Bond score tracks on my laptop this evening - in a combination of Barry, Conti, Martin, Hamlisch, Newman and Arnold. Many great tracks, but those of Barry and Arnold were the highlights.

With a director which isn't "tied" to one particular composer for Bond 25, I can't see why Arnold couldn't be brought back. TND to QOS was like his Bond music playground, where his music could grow from film to film. Just think what he could bring to the table, if he'd get the chance again.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Next year will be 10 years since Arnold scored his last Bond film. Imagine how fresh a new score of his would be,
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Walecs wrote: »
    Next year will be 10 years since Arnold scored his last Bond film. Imagine how fresh a new score of his would be,
    I agree 100%
    I greatly appreciate a longer vacation for Mr Arnold away from the franchise, there is no such thing as too short in this particular instance.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I greatly appreciate a longer vacation for Mr Arnold away from the franchise, there is no such thing as too short in this particular instance.
    Better make that two. I'd be open to a permanent holiday.

He's had his five. Time for some new blood.
    What if the new blood sucks as bad as Newman?