Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Wonder if EON approved of him jumping the gun and killing there surprise announcement. He in effect made the announcement first because of course Spectre is now all about him. The only tiny hope I have is that a deserving group will do the opening song, and this whiny twit will just do the song over the closing credits.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    No problem with him being gay, my problem is with his singing. It's whiny, and for me just all wrong for Bond. But ok, I need to hear the darn song. Maybe it will be brilliant and I'll have to say "uncle."
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    Since I like SS I am happy with choice :) if it is :-/ but boy I'd give anything for a Bassey/Adele/Gaga colab [-O<
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Wow some utter idiots who call themselves bond fans.
  • RC7RC7
    No I did say it was extreme after saying that. I'm just annoyed he is doing it and his name is tied to it. I hate him. I also don't like gay's. Sorry just nooo

Well, I've never flagged a post before, so congratulations on being my first. You pillock.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I wonder if the song will contain the word SPECTRE.
  • Maybe take a short hiatus if you feel it's necessary. I don't think any of us want to see you leave permanently.

I propose for him a hiatus about calling other liars or hoaxers each time a scoop is given by someone :)

smitty wrote: »
    Wonder if EON approved of him jumping the gun
    Of course they did. What I am wondering about is why did EON decide to break the news on Sam Smith's social media pages, instead of the official 007 ones?
    Wonder if EON approved of him jumping the gun and killing there surprise announcement. He in effect made the announcement first because of course Spectre is now all about him. The only tiny hope I have is that a deserving group will do the opening song, and this whiny twit will just do the song over the closing credits.

This was a coordinated timed post from his team so it must've been approved.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    @dominicgreene if that's actually your idea of a "Bondish" song your credibility ITT has probably dropped to zero. It's an extremely generic pop club song. Nothing Bond about it at all.
  • RC7RC7
    Wonder if EON approved of him jumping the gun
    Of course they did. What I am wondering about is why did EON decide to break the news on Sam Smith's social media pages, instead of the official 007 ones?

Smith has 3.4m twitter followers. 007 has 300k. Also, they probably know that people will still be tying themselves in knots until it is actually confirmed tomorrow. Makes sense to me.
    I can definitely see Thunderball type theme song with Sam Smith
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Goodbye, good people! I had a great run, but it's time to go.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    JUST NOT SOULFUL BALLAD
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I dunno if EON approved him doing this tweet - but imagine the power Sam Smith had today! It's not like they could suddenly swap him with another artist less than 24 hrs before the announcement. Even if they could, EON would kinda lose face and the replacement artist would always been known as the 2nd choice!

They've probably got lyric videos all good to go, and the titles to SPECTRE are currently being edited to this song. If he hadn't been approved to tweet yet it must have been quite a rush!

And yet this could also all be part of canny viral marketing
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    I dunno if EON approved him doing this tweet - but imagine the power Sam Smith had today! It's not like they could suddenly swap him with another artist less than 24 hrs before the announcement. Even if they could, EON would kinda lose face and the replacement artist would always been known as the 2nd choice!

They've probably got lyric videos all good to go, and the titles to SPECTRE are currently being edited to this song. If he hadn't been approved to tweet yet it must have been quite a rush!

And yet this could also all be part of canny viral marketing

very true

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Didn't Adele post the lyrics to the song before she was 'officially' announced back in 2012?

Same thing...
  • From Mr Paul Dunphy on Twitter (@mrpauldunphy):

The #SPECTRE theme: Sung by Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith, written by Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood. #bondfact @elliegoulding @samsmithworld

• I think getting suspended is least of my worries. In the end of the day, I'm actually one of the biggest bond fans around. I have a friend who is best friends with honor blackman, I have 1000's of pounds of merchandise. I follow bond films nearly every day until release. I'm a true fan. But thats not going to stop me expressing my feelings of sam smith. I'm not bothered. It was an awful choice no matter how good it sounds.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Sark wrote: »
    @dominicgreene if that's actually your idea of a "Bondish" song your credibility ITT has probably dropped to zero. It's an extremely generic pop club song. Nothing Bond about it at all.

Well it's a spookier song than what Sam Smith usually does. Relax, Felix.
  • RC7RC7
    I think getting suspended is least of my worries. In the end of the day, I'm actually one of the biggest bond fans around. I have a friend who is best friends with honor blackman, I have 1000's of pounds of merchandise. I follow bond films nearly every day until release. I'm a true fan. But thats not going to stop me expressing my feelings of sam smith. I'm not bothered. It was an awful choice no matter how good it sounds.

You're also a massive bell end.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    So instead of getting 6 weeks of press loaded up with promotion about Spectre and Dan, an Lea and Waltz etc, we're going to get overloaded with crap in the press about this vastly overrated, whimpering little twit using Bond to endlessly blab about himself. Awful choice even if the song doesn suck.
    I agree. But Eon still has got 6 weeks to get this right ;)
  • FYI, Sam Smith is not very well known in France (I just looked a bit, and some say it's a mystery France didn't made Sam Smith a chart success), and well, nowhere near the popularity of Adele when Skyfall was released (Adele had a #1 album in France with 21).

So it may be a debut for Smith here with the title track, but I will be surprised if it has the airplay Skyfall by Adele had here (most played Bond theme on French radio ? I have no proof but it sounded like it was)

Tough challenge for Spectre in France to be as big at the box office as Skyfall IMO, given the lack of the Adele locomotive, but hey you never know (Star Wars instead of a box office void is another challenge too !)

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,056
    From Mr Paul Dunphy on Twitter (@mrpauldunphy):

The #SPECTRE theme: Sung by Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith, written by Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood. #bondfact @elliegoulding @samsmithworld

A duet....?

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

:D
    The #SPECTRE theme: Sung by Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith, written by Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood.
    So the Sam Smith, Ellie Goulding and Radiohead rumours all were true! :)) =)) :bz
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    If that's true, HOLY F***********
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can pass any kind of judgement until they actually... wait for it..
    hear the frickin' song!

Just saying...

because it will be some ballad lacking guitar

There have been plenty of great Bond themes lacking guitar.

Don't be silly, those blithering eejits like Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon and Adele haven't done anything good for the Bond series with their guitarless ballads. We're all doomed, I tell you.

Sigh let's talk about John Barry for a few moments

He felt each bond had his own sound and his own instrument

Connery Brassy and Ballady
    Lazenby Synthy and psycdelic
    Moore Strings and sophisticated
    Dalton synth-bass and harder edged

David Arnold really continued that trend
    Brosnan Synth and brighter (poppy really)
    Craig Guitar and hard edged

Newman keeps putting Connery's sound in Craig's films and in my opinion it doesn't work. it just doesn't now for everyone else here who doesn't subscribe to Mine and Barry's assessment and feel every song needs to be some goldfinger rip off fine great enjoy it have a blast. It's just not for me.
  • RC7RC7
    If that's true, HOLY F***********

Bloody insane if it is.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I think getting suspended is least of my worries. In the end of the day, I'm actually one of the biggest bond fans around. I have a friend who is best friends with honor blackman, I have 1000's of pounds of merchandise. I follow bond films nearly every day until release. I'm a true fan. But thats not going to stop me expressing my feelings of sam smith. I'm not bothered. It was an awful choice no matter how good it sounds.

How does that make sense? No matter how good it sounds? And being a homophobe isn't cool even when your dead pal's, dogs , aunties cousin knows an old bird off corrie.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 161
    The #SPECTRE theme: Sung by Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith, written by Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood.
    So the Sam Smith, Ellie Goulding and Radiohead rumours all were true! :)) =)) :bz

Hey, you don't have to leave now! ;)