Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

fjdinardo wrote: »
    He could be trolling with us too so you never know. I'll see it to believe it

Given this was a coordinated post across all his social channels at a set time, 24 hours before the song (and tickets) would be released in the US given the reports (8am Pacific Time makes total sense), I think it's legit.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    really Dominic ok so he was wrong. We have all been fooled by rumors and believed them to be true and were wrong so let's not throw Panchito under the bus for believing something otherwise I have no issue going through your history finding something you were vocal about that wound being untrue and posting it for everyone to see

Thanks for defending me @Risico007 but he is right. I was arrogant about it. If it's announced that Sam Smith is doing the main song and that Spectre won't have any other original songs, then I do deserve the ridicule. On the other hand, if they do announce that Radiohead is doing a song for Spectre, then I will be the one who will have the last laugh. B-)
    Maybe take a short hiatus if you feel it's necessary. I don't think any of us want to see you leave permanently.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I don't see how anyone can pass any kind of judgement until they actually... wait for it..
    hear the frickin' song!

Just saying...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm happy that it's not Adele. In the end, that's all I really wanted. I will give this song a fair chance.
  • I'm glad. Did anyone else laugh? I just think it's funny that it's come full circle.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can pass any kind of judgement until they actually... wait for it..
    hear the frickin' song!

Just saying...

because it will be some ballad lacking guitar

• RC7RC7
    hear the frickin' song!

Just saying...

There have been plenty of great Bond themes lacking guitar.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sadly, I won't get to listen to it until I hear it for the first time in theaters, so I'm relying on you all for opinions on how great it is.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BBC News today:

A hearty congrats to Sam Smith whose debut album has notched up a record-breaking 67th consecutive week in the Official Albums Chart Top 10 - the longest unbroken run ever for a debut album.

In The Lonely Hour hasn't been out of the top 10 since its release in May 2014.

The previous record was held by Emeli Sande's Our Version Of Events which, in May 2013, marked 66 weeks in the top 10 .

Before that, 49 years earlier, it was The Beatles' Please, Please Me's record 62 consecutive weeks which held the record.

Smith said he was "completely and utterly moved and overwhelmed".

"This moment is one to tell the grandkids and maybe their grandkids," he added.

My comment: makes total sense to me, Sam Smith is this year's Adele in terms of success.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    RC7 wrote: »
    hear the frickin' song!

Just saying...

There have been plenty of great Bond themes lacking guitar.

Don't be silly, those blithering eejits like Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon and Adele haven't done anything good for the Bond series with their guitarless ballads. We're all doomed, I tell you.

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I'm listening to him again now - he's not my cup of tea: his whimpering vocals make him sound like Jamie Cullum after grazing his knee. But also: Sam Smith has never done a 'spooky' song has he? A title like SPECTRE *demands* spookyness. I am looking forward to hearing a Spooky Sam Smith Song!

Still though... I was born in '83 and as yet have not had a Bond song released by an artist that I liked before the announcement. I wish I could have that excitement of one of my favourite artists/bands getting the gig!
    What are the chances he is just pulling our strings?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Is this officially confirmed or all based on Sam Smith posting the picture of the Spectre ring?? Because Ellie Goulding has also teased is this could be a red herring before the real artist announced tomorrow. Think I will wait official announcement.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Looks like its Sam Smith GUYS !!!! Might as well call it official now. What a disappointment of choice.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/09/07/sam-smith-might-be-doing-the-james-bond-spectre-song? hub page (front%20page)&utm_content=7
  • antovolk wrote: »

IT'S SAM SMITH. SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY TOO @RC7 :-D!! I told you he was lying his balls off! And right he was ;-)!
    If this is true, I will hate this guy far more than I already did. I know he cannot exactly say yes I'm doing it in that interview, but his smug frace saying I'm certainly not doing it. This will ruin spectre for me if that's the case. well, that's a bit harsh, the film looks great and I'm excited but if its sam smith for real, I'm very disappointed that they have had to try match Adele's vocals. They didn't need too, just try something fresh and exciting. Ah well. I hat Sams voice so I know I'm not going to like it, I can just feel it.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is this officially confirmed or all based on Sam Smith posting the picture of the Spectre ring?? Because Ellie Goulding has also teased is this could be a red herring before the real artist announced tomorrow. Think I will wait official announcement.
    Goulding's tweet said, "Live and Let Die", probably as in let the rumours die.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gareth007fan, wait, Sam Smith performing the theme song will ruin the movie for you, or the fact that he lied about doing it will ruin it for you? Either one is a little extreme.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    PLEASE NO BALLAD EON!!!
    So instead of getting 6 weeks of press loaded up with promotion about Spectre and Dan, an Lea and Waltz etc, we're going to get overloaded with crap in the press about this vastly overrated, whimpering little twit using Bond to endlessly blab about himself. Awful choice even if the song doesn suck.
    antovolk wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    He could be trolling with us too so you never know. I'll see it to believe it

Given this was a coordinated post across all his social channels at a set time, 24 hours before the song (and tickets) would be released in the US given the reports (8am Pacific Time makes total sense), I think it's legit.

True. I'm not a fan but I think he can do good. I'm giving him a chance
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    smitty wrote: »
    So instead of getting 6 weeks of press loaded up with promotion about Spectre and Dan, an Lea and Waltz etc, we're going to get overloaded with crap in the press about this vastly overrated, whimpering little twit using Bond to endlessly blab about himself. Awful choice even if the song doesn suck.

I'm with you. Don't know why Sam Smith is so successful.
    We have to accept that EON once again went for the money.
    Sam Smith is the most successful British act by far in 2014/2015.
    Like Adele was in 2012.
  • How can we ever make 100% of all Bond fans agree with a choice? Wait, I have the answer with such an insanely big franchise as 007: NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!!.

Be sportmanslike. Swallow your disappointment. And wait with judgement until you.....BLOODY HEAR THE SONG!!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Very happy with this. Can't wait to hear it.
    Very happy with this. Can't wait to hear it.

Ditto this. Brilliant soulful voice.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sam Smith sure knows how to play his game. Let's see what they have in store for us. After all, who'd have thought Sheena Easton could have given us such a great performance in FYEO?
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I have been listening to him since this tweet. Despite my earlier optimism I'm finding myself HATING his voice! I'm not really fan of Adele but you can't deny she's got a great voice (my problem with Skyfall's theme is the lyrics!)

I've had to shut Sam Smith off and rinse my ears out with Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and the twin masterpieces of Barry's OHMSS theme and We Have All The Time In The World...
  • RC7RC7
    smitty wrote: »

I'm with you. Don't know why Sam Smith is so successful.
    We have to accept that EON once again went for the money.
    Sam Smith is the most successful British act by far in 2014/2015.
    Like Adele was in 2012.

I think it's slightly disingenuous to suggest $$$ is the only reason. While his popularity is certainly key, he makes sense to me, vocally. If his song turns out to be poor I'll admit it, but vocally he's at least got the requisite power for a big brassy affair (if that's the angle they take). If this guy 'whines', I dread to think what people would make of Thom Yorke, the guy is the epitome of a whiner.
    No I did say it was extreme after saying that. I'm just annoyed he is doing it and his name is tied to it. Either way, I'm utterly disappointed they chose him over the so many talented and cooler artists out there. Just listen to some of his songs, and it was horrible. Cannot understand his silly mouth.