Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So ... it's probably Gaga and Radiohead. At some junction in the film. Hmmm ...
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,263
    @pachazo I don't think it's ignorant in the slightest. If you hadn't told me the lead singer had an impressive vocal range, I never would have known. When I hear an impressive vocal range, I get goosebumps on my arms. Suffice to say I did not experience that listening to the tracks posted in this thread. [-(
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Do you have a pulse? Well, I guess we will just have have to agree to disagree here. I do value your overall contributions to the forum. I'll just leave it at that.
    Thanks, and yes it looks like we can just do that. I don't think Radiohead is particularly bad; they have some good harmony. If it's their show to perform the title for SPECTRE, I'm sure it would be something respectable. My preference is for someone else, hopefully a solo or duet. There is something more intimate about it for me for Bond.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    it's Radiohead, with Sam Smith replacing Thom Yorke, and Phil Collins replacing Phil Selwayin, in a duet with Adele and Lady Gaga doing the backing vocals.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    pachazo wrote: »
    Mansfield wrote: »
    What is good about Radiohead? I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to music, but like anyone else I can tell when someone has a voice that carries or music that is truly spellbinding. They don't clearly display either quality.
    Regardless of what you think about their music, which I don't have a problem with, Thom Yorke has a very impressive vocal range. You don't have to be an expert to recognize it. What is "good" about them, in my humble opinion, is that they are actual genuine artists. They write their own songs and actually play their own instruments. They are not fake, mass produced pop music for the masses. They refused to cave in to the label's demands and were successful doing it their way. Again, it's fine if you don't like them. However, to deny their talent and accomplishments just comes across as a little ignorant on your part.

Sure Radiohead are not One Direction, nobody says or thinks that.
    As for genuine, not fake, own songs, play own instruments, that can be said of most of the other artists as well that are rumoured to do the Bond song.

I can understand why most have a "problem" with the idea of Radiohead.
    It would be the most odd choice ever and not be very clever imo marketing wise.
    I mean this is James Bond and not some niche movie franchise with experimental soundtrack choices. It is mainstream, so it needs a mainstream pop/rock song.
    It was bad enough to have Jack White do a "Bond" song. And we all know how universally "loved" that one is now.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    pachazo wrote: »
    Mansfield wrote: »
    What is good about Radiohead? I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to music, but like anyone else I can tell when someone has a voice that carries or music that is truly spellbinding. They don't clearly display either quality.
    Regardless of what you think about their music, which I don't have a problem with, Thom Yorke has a very impressive vocal range. You don't have to be an expert to recognize it. What is "good" about them, in my humble opinion, is that they are actual genuine artists. They write their own songs and actually play their own instruments. They are not fake, mass produced pop music for the masses. They refused to cave in to the label's demands and were successful doing it their way. Again, it's fine if you don't like them. However, to deny their talent and accomplishments just comes across as a little ignorant on your part.

Sure Radiohead are not One Direction, nobody says or thinks that.
    As for genuine, not fake, own songs, play own instruments, that can be said of most of the other artists as well that are rumoured to do the Bond song.

It would be the most odd choice ever and not be very clever imo marketing wise.
    I mean this is James Bond and not some niche movie franchise with experimental soundtrack choices. It is mainstream, so it needs a mainstream pop/rock song.
    It was bad enough to have Jack White do a "Bond" song. And we all know how universally "loved" that one is now.

Exactly!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I wouldn't be surprised at any of the choices. The producer's don't seem to have a pattern on who they choose. Had anyone heard of Chris Cornell before CR? And even if they have someone in mind, they might not want to do it, or the studio overrides their decision. So really it could be anyone, depending on what factor prevails (studio vs producer's choice vs artist availability vs commercial aspects)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    w2bond wrote: »
    Had anyone heard of Chris Cornell before CR?

Chris Cornell was the lead singer for Soundgarden, who were very successful in the mid 90s as well as Audioslave. I'd certainly heard of him, & although he was an off beat choice, he delivered one of the best songs of the past few decades imho.

So there really isn't a pattern. They may choose to go with someone who's come up with a seriously good song...and let that song do the talking so the speak....rather than just a flavour of the month. I hope that is the route they take actually.....i.e. let the song do the talking and the walking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe Ultravox will make a glorious return. They have reformed.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Radiohead had one truly great record: OK Computer, I'd go so far to say it might even be the most important British record of the nineties.
    But after that it went downhill, slowly but steadily and Radiohead are irrelevant, their last impact on the music world was in 2007.
    It doesn't matter their last album has sold quite well.
    So has Michael Bublé's Christmas album (9,3 million units so far).

As far as a legacy and where they'll be seen in decades to come and they have already been cited as the most influential act in the world today.

OK Computer changed the face of music, it killed Brit Pop stone dead and for good or bad the likes of Muse & Coldplay emerged.

So many bands cite them as an influence, just cause you don't like anything after OC doesn't mean anything, the bands follow up Kid A & Amnesiac is also looked up as hugely influential and to some more than OC.

Radiohead might not shift units like other bands but as far as influence they are probably more akin to The Velvet Underground, never really big sellers but they are up there with The Beatles, Floyd, The Beach Boys, The Who & The Kinks when it comes to inspiration.

When Coldplay & Muse are long gone, the palatable unit shifters, Radiohead will still be being talked about and there body of work will be still influencing bands and most likely producing music themselves still.

I didn't say and I think it's hyperbole but music publications have called them the 21st Century Beatles, they'd already said what they wanted to say with guitars they had to move on, the only real band of their generation that don't pander to what is expected. if they do emerge the band to be doing the theme then EON should be hugely privileged to have snagged them.

Please name another band since the 90's that have their legacy you will struggle I'm afraid.
    Dream Theater Spock's Beard and transatlantic (ok so the last one was formed in 2000 but still) given a bit more time I will think of more
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, I do too. They're different and not everyone likes them. You don't need to look any further than this thread to see evidence of that. As far as a marketing standpoint goes, Radiohead do still garner a good bit of media attention whenever they release something new. Not like Adele would, obviously, but I don't find them to be completely irrelevant.

The bottom line (at least in my opinion) is that if the song is any good then it will sell/attract attention. If Radiohead delivered a turd then I'd be the first one to admit that you guys were right. Although I'd bet we'd have different opinions on whether or not it was any good. I like a lot of the other suggestions that people have offered. I just don't want them to repeat themselves with Adele. I don't think poorly of her.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Although I'd bet we'd have different opinions on whether or not it was any good.
    This. No matter how great the song is, there will ALWAYS be people who will dislike it.
    If the song is "crap" it will be general consensus that it is.
    If the song is "great" it will be general consensus that it is.

AWTD and DAD are certainly at the bottom of about everybody's list.
    AVTAK is probably the most beloved theme song of them all.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Radiohead had one truly great record: OK Computer, I'd go so far to say it might even be the most important British record of the nineties.
    But after that it went downhill, slowly but steadily and Radiohead are irrelevant, their last impact on the music world was in 2007.
    It doesn't matter their last album has sold quite well.
    So has Michael Bublé's Christmas album (9,3 million units so far).

As far as a legacy and where they'll be seen in decades to come and they have already been cited as the most influential act in the world today.

OK Computer changed the face of music, it killed Brit Pop stone dead and for good or bad the likes of Muse & Coldplay emerged.

So many bands cite them as an influence, just cause you don't like anything after OC doesn't mean anything, the bands follow up Kid A & Amnesiac is also looked up as hugely influential and to some more than OC.

Radiohead might not shift units like other bands but as far as influence they are probably more akin to The Velvet Underground, never really big sellers but they are up there with The Beatles, Floyd, The Beach Boys, The Who & The Kinks when it comes to inspiration.

When Coldplay & Muse are long gone, the palatable unit shifters, Radiohead will still be being talked about and there body of work will be still influencing bands and most likely producing music themselves still.

I didn't say and I think it's hyperbole but music publications have called them the 21st Century Beatles, they'd already said what they wanted to say with guitars they had to move on, the only real band of their generation that don't pander to what is expected. if they do emerge the band to be doing the theme then EON should be hugely privileged to have snagged them.

Please name another band since the 90's that have their legacy you will struggle I'm afraid.

Frankly I'm not interested if an act is named to be an influence for many artists or have a "legacy".
    So have the Beatles, Blur, Oasis and countless other British acts.

We're talking Bond theme here. Radiohead would just be not fitting or do you want a mainstreamed pop outing from Radiohead? Wouldn't that be a contradiction in terms.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 40,466

Not me, I think AWTD is very enjoyable and really sets the rocking mood for the action-oriented rest of the film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

No, I think that award goes to "Live and Let Die."
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,263
    @BondJasonBond006 Very nice posts. Most of your opinions in this discussion represent my own unless otherwise stated.

@Creasy47 AWTD has a good beat, but I don't like the vocals at all. It sounds overly mixed, which doesn't give me the impression I'm listening to a Bond title.

Edit: I agree with LALD being the most popular.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TripAces wrote: »

No, I think that award goes to "Live and Let Die."

I think reasonable arguments can be made for GF, DAF, LALD, NDIB, AVTAK, and SF.

Interestingly, the longer titles tend to be received better!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    So ... it's probably Gaga and Radiohead. At some junction in the film. Hmmm ...

I think you're right. Radiohead over the opening credits and Gaga over the closing credits. They've used 2 songs before. Good way to get more buzz.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have always felt, and mentioned on here from time to time, that AWTD was intended to sound that way, namely jumbled, unmelodic & disjointed (like the action sequences).

I believe it was meant to reflect Bond's confused state of mind during the film as he frantically searched for answers to Vesper's betrayal. If looked at in this way, then the song sort of works with the film (although I still dislike it immensely).

As I mentioned a while back, the intro part of AWTD sounds eerily (beat wise) to the start of YKMN, but much harder and less melodic. I believe that may have been by intention. It's like the dark side of YKMN.

Just my thoughts.....
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I've been listening to AWTD a lot on it's own lately, and I don't necessarily view it as the greatest Bond theme in the film, but on it's own, that track is pretty awesome actually. It's growing on me very fast.
    I've been listening to AWTD a lot on it's own lately, and I don't necessarily view it as the greatest Bond theme in the film, but on it's own, that track is pretty awesome actually. It's growing on me very fast.

The biggest quarrel I have with it is that it doesn't sound like a Bond song.
    Other than that I do have it in my Alicia Keys playlist as I own all her music.
    But it is definitely one of the weakest singles she's ever released.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    AWTD isn't bad. The only issue I have was with the "Wooooooah, Wooooooah, Wooooooah" thrown into the middle of it. WTH was that ?
    echo wrote: »
    I think reasonable arguments can be made for GF, DAF, LALD, NDIB, AVTAK, and SF.

Interestingly, the longer titles tend to be received better!

We'll all have our favorites. I think based on the receivability of cover versions of these songs, LALD is the most enduring. Guns n Roses covered it, and so did Duffy. But the others listed there are great tunes. I'd rank 'em this way (not in terms of best but in terms of most iconic and widely listened to):

1. LALD (#2 US Billboard charts, #7 UK)
    2. NDIB (#2 US, #7 UK)
    3. YOLT (used in Mad Men; tune was used by Robbie Williams) (#44 US, #11 UK)
    4. GF (#8 US, #21 UK)
    5. SF (#8 US, #2 UK)
    6. AVTAK (#1 US, #2 UK)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 40,466
    TripAces wrote: »
    AWTD isn't bad. The only issue I has was with the "Ooooooh, Oooooooh, Ooooooh" thrown into the middle of it. WTH was that?

That was me, I apologize. I had a chance at my 15 minutes of fame and took it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,043

She's just a guest, pretty much an afterthought, Jack White wrote and performed that track.

It would be a different story if he'd been given the time instead of having to stand in for Winehouse & Ronson at the last minute. I can't imagine many of the title performers had the short time he had to come up with that.

I personally think it opens QOS up with a bang like YKMN unlike dreary TND and funeral march TWINE.

I think it has the (brass) sound from The Man With The Golden Gun. To me it's not the very best of Bond songs but I like it becausr of that brass and rock power!
  • Wouldn't we have heared something official by now, or by Monday if this Tuesday announcement is going to happen. I thought eon productions would have said something. surely.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Wouldn't we have heared something official by now, or by Monday if this Tuesday announcement is going to happen. I thought eon productions would have said something. surely.
    Tis true maybe we should have by now BUT we never got one for the second poster I recall. They may be going for that shock and awe announcement this time around with promoting stuff. At least from my take on things. Actually can't believe I'm saying this but kinda hope lady Gaga is the singer