Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

You think the song writers will be able to pull off putting the word Spectre in the lyrics and calling the song Spectre? Or are we looking at another All Time High/ You Know My Name time theme song?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Well if he does get the job it shows a complete lack of imagination and just an example of wanting loads of radio play rather than a song that will suit the film.

That voice has no right doing a Bond theme, hopefully this will be the only negative point about the film.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    That voice has no right doing a Bond theme, hopefully this will be the only negative point about the film.

Harsh. He could pull of a decent track. There are much worse people to tackle it.
    I'm willing to give Sam a chance
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think he'd do a great job.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    You think the song writers will be able to pull off putting the word Spectre in the lyrics and calling the song Spectre? Or are we looking at another All Time High/ You Know My Name time theme song?

Adele made Skyfall work lol.

I don't care if Spectre is the name of the song, or the main part of the chorus - as long as it's used in the song somewhere, ie: Nobody Does It Better.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    I'd like Florence + The Machine doing the title track. Listen to "What Kind Of Man"...
    Well if he does get the job it shows a complete lack of imagination and just an example of wanting loads of radio play rather than a song
    that will suit the film.

After the high of the trailer yesterday, this just makes me groan. It's not just that he hasn't earned the gig, or that he is 100% wrong for Spectre, he will be swanning all over the place about it and I'd bet an embarrassment. There are a 100 other singers and bands far, far more talented that deserve the gig, and would serve the film. What is so depressing about Smith's possible selection, is that it shows such bad judgement on the part of EON. His one whiny big hit was all but stolen. I'm not a huge Adele fan, but she can at least sing, and she had a proven track record. Smith is worse than Nancy Sinatra.

smitty wrote: »
    Well if he does get the job it shows a complete lack of imagination and just an example of wanting loads of radio play rather than a song
    that will suit the film.

After the high of the trailer yesterday, this just makes me groan. It's not just that he hasn't earned the gig, or that he is 100% wrong for Spectre, he will be swanning all over the place about it and I'd bet an embarrassment. There are a 100 other singers and bands far, far more talented that deserve the gig, and would serve the film. What is so depressing about Smith's possible selection, is that it shows such bad judgement on the part of EON. His one whiny big hit was all but stolen. I'm not a huge Adele fan, but she can at least sing, and she had a proven track record. Smith is worse than Nancy Sinatra.

Whiney and weak covers it for me. :(

This whole Sam Smith thing has really dampened my enthusiasm for SP after seeing the new TV clip and being really buzzing about the way things look to be shaping up.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sam Smith is wrong for SPECTRE; this is a movie that need an artist with a edge and is able to convey mystery and danger. Smith has a good voice but leans more toward the maudlin.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    has this even been confirmed yet?... i know the website claims that a VH1 insider broke the news - but when was the last time VH1 was ever relevant in breaking entertainment news?...

if it turns out to be him, then so be it - not gonna get my balls in bunch over a decision i have no control over..... but i think we all need to step back and breathe a little bit, and wait for more official confirmation than a gay lifestyles website.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512
    he will be swanning all over the place about it and I'd bet an embarrassment.

Does he have a history of swanning about?
    Maybe he'll " Madeleine Swann" about ? :D
    As much as I like Sam Smith, he’s a painfully obvious choice. Essentially, this last year he has been covering Adele since she has been on maternity leave. If the producers wanted to hire someone with international clout and a huge following in America, Smith is the man to go to. I genuinely believe Adele’s stature as one of the most respected and humble artists in the industry elevated SF and gave the film a larger profile on the international stage. Considering Smith’s current reputation, I’d imagine it would be the same here. Hiring Smith would make good business sense.

But I really hope a little creativity and ingenuity could be deployed. I think Adele did a great job with SF but it’s hardly the most imaginative song. It hits all the right notes and the lyrics are brilliant, but it is a slightly obvious “Bond song”. It’s operatic, slightly camp and very Bassey-esque. Personally, I want someone to come in and play around and bring some trickster energy to the song.

For me, it has to be Alex Turner. I just think his droll voice and cheeky lyrics would be so suited. Additionally, it’s about time a ‘rockier’ sound was reintroduced after Cornell’s misfire and Jack White’s near-miss (AWTD isn’t as bad as you remember it to be).

I was looking online and here’s the AM/SP rumour timeline:

- Back in April the word began to swirl that Sony had hired AM to their record label and offered them the Bond job.

- We heard from some members here of a potential deal and AM fansites begun discussing the deal with ‘inside knowledge’.

-Word came that they had recorded a song for 3 days at Abbey Road with Paul Epworth (the man behind Adele’s song and not the Monkeys’ usual producer) for a “theme” to be released this year.

Have we heard no more since? Considering we are all discussing this quite openly on internet forums, it seems strange that the mainstream media have been ignoring this information. Could the AM rumours just be wishful thinking?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I agree with everything above except for "Cornell’s misfire " While not a huge radio hit, it is a great Bond theme.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    I agree with everything above except for "Cornell’s misfire " While not a huge radio hit, it is a great Bond theme.
    Agreed. One of the best songs in the entire canon imho and sandwiched between shameful disgraces for a predecessor and successor..

I too agree I loved " You know my name" =D> great song.
    You Know My Name is the best Bond theme since The Living Daylights.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Know My Name is the best Bond theme since The Living Daylights.

You Know My Name is the best Bond theme since OHMSS.

For me it's up there with LALD, two great Bond rock themes. :)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Sam Smith even being considered is a painful reminder that EoN often pander to the lowest common denominator. No edge, no thrills - just bland & safe all the way.

If it is true, let's hope that whoever is behind the decision is not making the creative calls on the actual film...
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Guys Sam Smith spoke for the first time in a month this week after having vocal chord surgery, up until Monday he had been using a computer to communicate with type speak. I highly doubt unless he has already recorded the track that he will be fit to do so. Its a complex lengthy recovery where you have to build back up gradually.
    You Know My Name was an excellent theme - I remember it being blasted by fans as being awful when it was initially released to the public, but it's funny how a song can grow on you - and it didn't hurt that CR was an excellent film as well, so that helped a little...

..but it's the song that really set the tone for not only that film, but Dan's run thus far as 007.
    I'm sorry but DAF, LALD, & Nobody Does It Better are more classic timeless songs than YKMN.

Don't get me wrong it's a great song and Arnold's best theme collaboration and yes it did get a lot of slaggings off when it came out but it has really stood up over time and sounds great over CR's superb titles, really sets you up for the film to come.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Sam Smith even being considered is a painful reminder that EoN often pander to the lowest common denominator. No edge, no thrills - just bland & safe all the way.

If it is true, let's hope that whoever is behind the decision is not making the creative calls on the actual film...

You've got that right. Smith could fizzle out in a year. His demographic is not the Bond audience. Bond films aren't hits because of US and GB teenagers which is Smith's audience. Adele had a better demographic appeal and was also a proven repeated hit maker, which Smith is not. I've seen him interviewed twice, he's a 22 year old kid and will market himself hard as Bond's theme guy. I will happily eat my words if his theme turns out to be a big plus for the movie, as Adele's song was. But I doubt it and fear we will all be rolling our eyes over it. I hope it is a false rumor and that AM still has a shot, but at this point I would be happy with virtually anyone who blocks this choice.

I will die and go to heaven if my girl lady Gaga could do the theme
    I'm sorry but DAF, LALD, & Nobody Does It Better are more classic timeless songs than YKMN.

Don't get me wrong it's a great song and Arnold's best theme collaboration and yes it did get a lot of slaggings off when it came out but it has really stood up over time and sounds great over CR's superb titles, really sets you up for the film to come.

i don't think i would put above any of those you just listed - mainly because those are 3 of the best Bond themes ever... but an argument could be made that 'You Know My Name' is top 5..

Diamonds Are Forever is still my #1 - it's the quintessential Bond theme, even more so than Goldfinger.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    AceHole wrote: »

You've got that right. Smith could fizzle out in a year. His demographic is not the Bond audience. Bond films aren't hits because of US and GB teenagers which is Smith's audience. Adele had a better demographic appeal and was also a proven repeated hit maker, which Smith is not. I've seen him interviewed twice, he's a 22 year old kid and will market himself hard as Bond's theme guy. I will happily eat my words if his theme turns out to be a big plus for the movie, as Adele's song was. But I doubt it and fear we will all be rolling our eyes over it. I hope it is a false rumor and that AM still has a shot, but at this point I would be happy with virtually anyone who blocks this choice.

Duran Duran and A-ha were bands representing the Bond demographic of the 80s too?

this is nothing new, but rather something that EON has been doing since the success of Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only"... they always try to aim for more contemporary choices for that 18-35 demo.. the only exceptions i believe since 1981 has been Rita Coolidge, Gladys Knight and Tina Turner with All Time High, Licence To Kill and Goldeneye (respectively).... Duran Duran, A-ha, Sheryl Crow, Garbage, Madonna, Chris Cornell, Alicia Keys and Jack White, Adele - all fit that specific demographic in accordance to the year they each did their respective theme... because to them, it's not only about making a great Bond theme, but they want something to market and sell as well.
    They do have a tendency to pick artists when they are passed their peak, Adele is actually an example of striking at the right as far as exposure. White is constantly relevant but Cornell was truly passed his best but still produced a great theme.

Duran Duran & Aha weren't exactly at their peak as well. Turner, Crowe, Garbage & Madonna had seen better days.

They've seen how well Adele did for them and they want a repeat of that so unfortunately from that point of view Sam Smith is a smart move but I'm still holding out for The Arctic Monkeys.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Remeber with Adele is there was no work done on the theme by Newman it was down to Adele and her own producer Paul Epworth., David Arnold did with other, expecially on "you know my name" which was a rather medicore bare track until he shined that up real good with the orchestral elements. Whoever comes in now. I don't ever see Newman work with the main theme writter/singer, so whoever does get the job. They have too have the ability to make that Big Bond theme sound on there own. For me I do not believe Sam Smith can do something of that level of greatness. He is good at the slow dirges, but lacks his style lacks the punch a succesfull Bond theme needs.

Another thing to note is Sony's influence. I reckon you pretty much rule out anyone who is not incorroprated in some form of contract with Sony BMG. Jack White/Alcia Keys Sony, Adele XL Columbia which is a Sony company. Smith is signed to a Sony owned label Capitol Records which is aquired when they bought over EMI so even if he is not a top choice for most, Sony will absolutley be pushing for him.