=)) I loved that show.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,756
    Sam Smith isn't that bad:

Very Bondish.
  • RC7RC7

Very Bondish.

He's perfect for Bond imo, but maybe I'm in the minority.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    X_X
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz! ;)
    RC7 wrote: »

Very Bondish.

Absolutely not @RC7 :-). Bring this guy on. Vocally he has one of the nicest and most impressive male vocals at the moment.
  • RC7RC7

Very Bondish.

Absolutely not @RC7 :-). Bring this guy on. Vocally he has one of the nicest and most impressive male vocals at the moment.

Agreed. His voice over a sweeping Bond melody would surely be great? I know we all have different musical tastes, but I don't find anything remotely offensive about him. Perhaps some of the alphas don't like the idea of a gay bloke singing a Bond theme.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He does have a good voice but I just find his sound, and music, uninspiring. As far as his sexuality, that has nothing to do with it; I've always thought George Michael or Freddie Mercury would have been great choices.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    As far as his sexuality, that has nothing to do with it; I've always thought George Michael or Freddie Mercury would have been great choices.

I meant that tongue in cheek, I don't really believe that anyone would shun him for that reason. I would've loved George Michael too. He was smashing it during the time Dalts should've had movies 3 and 4. If only.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    His sexuality is irrelevant to me, but I'm not much of a fan of his. Sort of Rick Astley-lite to me. Having said that, the song above isn't all bad. It's possible for him to come up with something reasonable, but I'd like the composer involved to make it sound suitably Bondian.

Quite frankly, if we're going down this road, I'd prefer Ed Sheeran.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm with RC7 and Gustav. Sam Smith could definitely pull it off. However, my thought is that Sam Smith was the original choice for the SP theme back in December (hence why Whishaw said the artist was already selected), but due to his recent throat problems, he may have had to back out of the project, so maybe this is why Mendes contradicted what Whishaw said at the announcement?
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    edited June 2015 Posts: 252
    I really like Adele's "Skyfall" and I 'm sure it will be considered a classic Bond tune in the future but to be honest I think "You Know My Name" goes best with Craig's portrait of Bond so far. I would love to hear a rock song in SP and not Sam Smith. I think Craig's Bond needs a bit more action in the title track than Sam Smith voice is able to deliver.
    Must admit I really want a more upbeat tune this time too! Have to say I really like YKMN!
    talos7 wrote: »
    As far as his sexuality, that has nothing to do with it; I've always thought George Michael or Freddie Mercury would have been great choices.

I meant that tongue in cheek, I don't really believe that anyone would shun him for that reason. I would've loved George Michael too. He was smashing it during the time Dalts should've had movies 3 and 4. If only.

And what about this underestimated British gem? His voice surely is even more impressive. Already tipped as the modern-era Tom Jones:

The ridiculous thing is, he's hugely popular over here in The Netherlands, whereas in the UK this talented Brit is completely ignored....
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Now you re talking.
    Or what about Hozier. Wunderful band:

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'd have no problem with Hozier, Take Me To Church is a cracking song, I could see him really rising to the occasion far more than Sam Smith.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    No idea who Sam Smith is. Buble has shown he can do the huge big band Barry sound, give him a shot. Or Beyonce, channeling Bassey. Think about it.
    =bg= wrote: »
    No idea who Sam Smith is. Buble has shown he can do the huge big band Barry sound, give him a shot. Or Beyonce, channeling Bassey. Think about it.

I just did. It wasn't pleasant I'm afraid.
    I know a number of you are usually more dialed in than I. But don't they usually announce the title song artist a month or two before the song is released? The song often comes out in September or October, depending. So wouldn't we hear about the artist this month or, definitely, by July?
    Adele was officially announced on Oct 1, 2012, so that's just a few weeks before the premiere. Of course there were plenty of rumors about her beforehand, but rumors are always just rumors, until they aren't.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Or what about Hozier. Wunderful band:

A very interesting choice. I love that song.

I'm afraid I don't see many similarities between Beyonce and Bassey.

Agreed in the need for something a bit more up tempo.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Although not my choice I still wouldn't rule out Rihanna. Her Diamonds in the sky track was pretty much an audition. Her name was tied to Bond 24 early on it was assumed this was for an acting role but maybe the source of that info was on to something, and all along the link was to the title theme.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I see many mention Florence and the Machine, I can not see the appeal personally. As machines go, I would much rather have RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Not to be too patriotic but I hope they stay with a British act.
    DrGorner wrote: »

I agree. First choice should be British.

@SirHilaryBray, I'd pass on Rhianna. She's not the right fit for Bond and I fear she will be more interested in making it about herself (like Madonna) than focus on delivering a solid track.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I see many mention Florence and the Machine, I can not see the appeal personally. As machines go, I would much rather have RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE.

Besides Rage being broken up for quite awhile, they're kind of opposed to everything Bond stands for.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »
    DrGorner wrote: »

I agree. First choice should be British.

@SirHilaryBray, I'd pass on Rhianna. She's not the right fit for Bond and I fear she will be more interested in making it about herself (like Madonna) than focus on delivering a solid track.

Not my choice either, just pointing out she was someone who was linked to Bond 24 early on. Shes on a Sony associated label Def Jam/Universal/EMI = Sony.

Just throwing it out there as somone who they have possibly considered or considering.

I don't care what nationality the theme singer/singers are as long as it kills it and does the movie credit.