Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• Walecs wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this? Is the guy a reliable source?

Confirmed: Adele is NOT the singer of James Bond Movie "Spectre"
    showbiz411.com/2015/06/04/confirmed-adele-is-not-the-singer-of-james-bond-movie-song-for-spectre

Thank you very much for posting this.

You're welcome! ;-)
    It seems the game isn't over yet. At this point i really hope the Arctic Monkeys rumours we've collected so far are true..
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Not a fan of the Arctic Monkeys myself. I wouldn't be sad if it was Adele again, I though Skyfall was excellent. Away from that, not sure, how about bringing someone like Tom Jones back, I mean, Bassey did more that one. To be fair though, Tom probably cant belt out a tune like he used to.
  • I still want Arctic Monkeys.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I still want Depeche Mode.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Arctics or Depeche Mode is fine by me, glad that Adele isn't returning.

We need a song that can live outside of the credits like the classic Barry collabs.

Both AM & DM would easily do that, I'm think the Arctics are a safer bet than DM though but if they were doing it I'd be delighted.
    I wonder how long it will be before we hear something official about who is performing the title track? I cannot recall when it was they revealed Adele as the performer for Skyfall?
  • RC7RC7
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be before we hear something official about who is performing the title track? I cannot recall when it was they revealed Adele as the performer for Skyfall?

If I recall correctly, it was officially announced on October 1st, so anyone thinking we'll hear anytime soon may be very disappointed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »

If I recall correctly, it was officially announced on October 1st, so anyone thinking we'll hear anytime soon may be very disappointed.

Yes, it it is usually the last thing we get to know. It shall be revealed before we die, sometime. Probably.
  • RC7RC7

Yes, it it is usually the last thing we get to know. It shall be revealed before we die, sometime. Probably.

Ha ha.
    Ladytron

Indeed a while yet to wait then! Thanks for the answer though, my mind was blank but then again it has been a long old week! I-)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Sia is another name who came up in conversation this week. Would settle for her. Like her sound.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I mentioned a few pages back that a classic act was up for the song. Well. it's not going to happen now - so that was a waste of everyone's time, sorry. I got the impression it was v much a Babs over Mendes/Craig decision. So definitely expect Lana Del Rey / Adele / Gaga or similar, I'm afraid. Oh well...

I'm not surprised to hear that the classic band has been shelved. They reflect the past and may not get the airplay they want. They'll go for someone contemporary who gets airplay - this much I'm sure of. They could have kept the classic band for the end credits though, but it may have just been too expensive perhaps.
    Personally I prefer women singing the theme tune. Although Chris Cornell did a great job.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I like Adele, but if any of the names listed in Friedman's article turn out to be the artist, I would not be disappointed. I am quite happy to see Josh Groban mentioned, even though that options seems unlikely.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i used to snub my nose at Lady Gaga, but after I heard her sing songs from The Sound Of Music at this last Academy Awards, I have to my admit my opinion on her as a vocalist has changed - she could definitely belt out a sleek and sultry Bond theme.. though, my one problem with her, is that I would fear we'd get a Bond theme like "Poker Face" or "Bad Romance".. she is very much in the vein of Madonna, who if she really wanted to, could've done an excellent theme as well (just listen to her song "Frozen"), but then she phoned it in and gave us that DAD crap...... so when it comes to Gaga, I am not against the choice if were to happen, but i would be admittedly cautious.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Ahh Depeche Mode!! Great, but quite late if you ask me, they should have been used in the nineties but well, they can surely still deliver!

I can already see the accompanying black and white Anton Corbijn video... :D
    I was counting on AM because they are said to be a fav of Craig and one would have though he'd have influence on the selection, but at this point I would tolerate almost anyone that could block Stan Smith. I simply cannot think of a more inappropriate singer to do the title track. So if it is still somehow Adele, or another pop singer, I'm mostly ok with it if they keep the film from being saddled with Smith.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    smitty wrote: »
    I was counting on AM because they are said to be a fav of Craig and one would have though he'd have influence on the selection

i remember back when Kings Of Leon were all the rage, and Craig said publicly that he was a fan and he'd like them to do the theme (can't remember if it was for QOS or SF at the time)... but that sort of fizzled out...
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,215
    Still holding out hope for Arctic Monkeys. Skyfall was a bit of an interesting situation because I felt it was a great Bond theme, while also being completely inappropriate for Skyfall. I suppose with it being the 50th anniversary it made sense to go with something classically Bondian, but I think Adele's style is completely at odds with Craig's Bond. That's why I think Arctic Monkeys are perfect. If you listen to their latest album, AM, they have a sexy, slick, but undoubtedly edgy and "badass" vibe that fits Craig's portrayal like a shoe.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Still holding out hope for Arctic Monkeys. Skyfall was a bit of an interesting situation because I felt it was a great Bond theme, while also being completely inappropriate for Skyfall. I suppose with it being the 50th anniversary it made sense to go with something classically Bondian, but I think Adele's style is completely at odds with Craig's Bond. That's why I think Arctic Monkeys are perfect. If you listen to their latest album, AM, they have a sexy, slick, but undoubtedly edgy and "badass" vibe that fits Craig's portrayal like a shoe.

Agree a theme like their track "Crawling back to you" would be amazing!
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    And to quote NME

"Arctic Monkeys' 'AM', released in 2013, is the top selling vinyl album of the decade, followed by Radiohead's 'The King Of Limbs', Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side Of The Moon', Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories' and Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River'"
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    This is a good read and listen

10 Songs which should have been Bond themes

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/01/10-songs-james-bond-themes/

See AT's The Last Shadow Puppets – My Mistakes Were Made For You
    made it on there. Would love a track like this on Spectre.

Of DM's songs, "Barrel of a Gun" is the most Bond-like. And I can't go along with "Female of the Species."

Someone mentioned Lady Gaga. This isn't as far off base as many would think. Listen to "Applause," which has the sound and feel of a Bond song (just not the lyrics).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,756
    I think Florence Welsh is a better choice for the theme than AM.

She released a new song which is impossible to find without Deezer or Spotify, but it sounds very Bondian - Various Storms and Saints

Her most popular song also sounds quite Bondish and could easily fit in with Spectre's theme:

(2m47)

@TripAces Agreed. She'd make a great Bond theme with the right lyrics. Might be spoiler-ish, but imagine if
    She sung about the bible and the Moses & Ramses story in parallel with Bond and Oberhauser. That would be bloody fantastic.
    Definitely Muse for me. They're a quintessential British band, and they've already proven they could do something bond-like.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    AM will deliver a much better suited theme to the Craig era than Florence and her washing machine could ever do.

Poor man's Kate Bush, can't see what all the fuss is about but then again not much new music has excited me for years. As for Muse like a hybrid of Radiohead & classic Queen with nowhere the originality.

I was a massive Muse fan for years and years, but even I find them tedious and repetitive now with their Orwellian totalitarian themed albums they have failed to deliver since Blackholes and Revelations.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Walecs wrote: »

Not surprised at all, if true. The inevitable choice once Adele backed out, in order to garner radio airplay and give the film some free promotion. Not all that happy about it but I was pretty sure it was going to be him all along (he's likely going to do the Tom Jones thing for Craig's 4th to Adele's Bassey turn for Craig's 3rd). Expect something bold and brassy most probably.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Walecs wrote: »
    Source is The Gossip Table. mmm