Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brady, good post.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I do hate the song but that is it. I don't really care about Smith, he happened to get the job I wasn't happy about it.

I didn't like what he produced and I don't like his vocal style end of. To me he wasn't right for Bond in the way that some think that Jack White was wrong and some of been quite strong about their hate for that song.

I never thought it one of the best but it certainly in my view it was nowhere one of the worst but that's me and vehmently as much as I dislike WOTW others feel the same about AWTD.

My problem is with the song and the choice of the artist they went with, what he does in his personal life is his business and has nothing to do with my opinion of what him and his co writer produced.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I do hate the song but that is it. I don't really care about Smith, he happened to get the job I wasn't happy about it.

I didn't like what he produced and I don't like his vocal style end of. To me he wasn't right for Bond in the way that some think that Jack White was wrong and some of been quite strong about their hate for that song.

I never thought it one of the best but it certainly in my view it was nowhere one of the worst but that's me and vehmently as much as I dislike WOTW others feel the same about AWTD.

My problem is with the song and the choice of the artist they went with, what he does in his personal life is his business and has nothing to do with my opinion of what him and his co writer produced.

@Shardlake, nobody here is calling you out as homophobic. No need to rush to save face.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    e31.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm just happy Bond has another Oscar ! Great news. =D> Bond is once again
    a huge hit at the boxoffice and with the critics, even winning awards, what can
    be wrong with that. :)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    it has become a big problem On this site to voice criticism of someone's character if they are gay (Smith) or black (Elba) without getting trashed for being biased. I don't excuse someone from from being a jerk because of their sexuality or race. It's NO excuse for lousy conduct, period. It's like saying the millions of unknown gays and blacks who conduct themselves with grace and decency in the face of genuine bias are wrong. The thought police in here are in effect noting that poor or stupid conduct is justified by spoiled, wrapped in cotton, over rewarded multi millionaires is ok and understandable if they happen to be gay or black. I don't think so.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    What is it with these hot women talking crap and pissing people off? Dash...Silverman...they were doing so well until they had to speak. I'd still smash though.
    wtf... Please keep your sexuality to yourself.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm a little bit confused.

Sam is gay (which is good) but also white (which is very bad) so is his Oscar a triumph for diversity or a disgrace?
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,512
    smitty wrote: »
    it has become a big problem On this site to voice criticism of someone's character if they are gay (Smith) or black (Elba) without getting trashed for being biased. I don't excuse someone from from being a jerk because of their sexuality or race. It's NO excuse for lousy conduct, period. It's like saying the millions of unknown gays and blacks who conduct themselves with grace and decency in the face of genuine bias are wrong. The thought police in here are in effect noting that poor or stupid conduct is justified by spoiled, wrapped in cotton, over rewarded multi millionaires is ok and understandable if they happen to be gay or black. I don't think so.

You've already taken it upon yourself to stage a character assassination on Smith several times, relentlessly some might say, so your posturing rings hollow. No one is making excuses for anyone, just calling out those who partake in subtle digs at race and sexuality. If you don't fall in that category you have nothing to worry about.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I find it funny how someone's sexuality isn't a problem someone straight wins an Oscar and thanks their husband/wife, but if someone being gay is brought up, people want nothing to do with it.

Did he thank his partner?
    I can't believe there's people in here who actually find fault with Sam discussing his sexuality openly over thanking people he already has at the Oscars. I mean, really?

People telling him to "get over" all the hate slung at him for his sexuality, a part of him as arbitrary and natural as his eye color or height, should get a damn clue.

Obviously people arguing such things aren't familiar with the sting associated with homosexuality in this ethically dire western culture, where a person's name is slung through the mud and they are sometimes made to endure physical and emotional harm just for being who they are. Some think Sam should have used his Oscar time to thank more people in favor of expressing his very real struggles to success, but guess what? You're not Sam and you're not in his situation. Nor do you have any authority to tell him how best to use his big moment; you didn't write the song, you didn't collaborate with Mendes-hell, most of you don't even like the damn thing anyway.

Sam's dissenters don't know the kind of negative and damaging garbage he's had to climb his way through not because he actively brought it on himself and not because he is a bad person. No, he's had to deal with slants against his name and character just because he is being who he is, an openly gay man. He wanted to use the very brief window he was allotted to devote time to his struggle and to give hope and support to others like him all over the world who may be facing similar umbrage and cruelty. Anyone making a case against him in that respect should be ashamed of themselves.

How would some of you feel if you walked down the street every day and people poked and prodded at you for something you couldn't change about yourself, an aspect of your genetic makeup as natural as breathing? You'd have no control over why you were being hated, and would face constant battering day and night, your only crime being that you were being yourself. Wouldn't feel too good, would it?

People telling Sam to get over the hate, and others who say heterosexuals never have to make a point of their sexuality in speeches tragically miss the big issue here and show their lack of understanding for what is a crucial world issue of diversity acceptance.

Christ, it depresses and appalls me how some people think sometimes. This is my final piece on this. Like @RC7 I'm fed up with all this bullshit.

What if he'd been all big on being a Muslim, would that have gone down the same way?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Cuckoo007 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    What is it with these hot women talking crap and pissing people off? Dash...Silverman...they were doing so well until they had to speak. I'd still smash though.
    wtf... Please keep your sexuality to yourself.

No. I want to share my happiness to shag any hot woman, irrespective of their degree of annoying character. I don't discriminate. :D

Cheers.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I can't believe there's people in here who actually find fault with Sam discussing his sexuality openly over thanking people he already has at the Oscars. I mean, really?

People telling him to "get over" all the hate slung at him for his sexuality, a part of him as arbitrary and natural as his eye color or height, should get a damn clue.

Obviously people arguing such things aren't familiar with the sting associated with homosexuality in this ethically dire western culture, where a person's name is slung through the mud and they are sometimes made to endure physical and emotional harm just for being who they are. Some think Sam should have used his Oscar time to thank more people in favor of expressing his very real struggles to success, but guess what? You're not Sam and you're not in his situation. Nor do you have any authority to tell him how best to use his big moment; you didn't write the song, you didn't collaborate with Mendes-hell, most of you don't even like the damn thing anyway.

Sam's dissenters don't know the kind of negative and damaging garbage he's had to climb his way through not because he actively brought it on himself and not because he is a bad person. No, he's had to deal with slants against his name and character just because he is being who he is, an openly gay man. He wanted to use the very brief window he was allotted to devote time to his struggle and to give hope and support to others like him all over the world who may be facing similar umbrage and cruelty. Anyone making a case against him in that respect should be ashamed of themselves.

How would some of you feel if you walked down the street every day and people poked and prodded at you for something you couldn't change about yourself, an aspect of your genetic makeup as natural as breathing? You'd have no control over why you were being hated, and would face constant battering day and night, your only crime being that you were being yourself. Wouldn't feel too good, would it?

People telling Sam to get over the hate, and others who say heterosexuals never have to make a point of their sexuality in speeches tragically miss the big issue here and show their lack of understanding for what is a crucial world issue of diversity acceptance.

Christ, it depresses and appalls me how some people think sometimes. This is my final piece on this. Like @RC7 I'm fed up with all this bullshit.

=D>
    I've been told Sam was a Caesarean ? So he's from Caesarea ? So not
    even British ! :D
    I've been told Sam was a Caesarean ? So he's from Caesarea ? So not
    even British ! :D

Scandalous!
    Murdock wrote: »
    e31.jpg

lol
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »

What if he'd been all big on being a Muslim, would that have gone down the same way?
    @tanaka123, you've really lost the plot, haven't you?
    =)) sometimes when you're digging a hole for yourself, it's best to stop. :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/inPk9M0v320"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@tanaka123, you've really lost the plot, haven't you?

No, not really ... Just want conversation to return to how glorious a Bond song WOTW is.
    =)) sometimes when you're digging a hole for yourself, it's best to stop. :D

Who's digging?
    I dig ! You dig ? ;)
    diggy di do
  • My guess is that Smith was trying to cash in on all that diversity nonsense. And yes, it was nonsense, and frankly racist. Never mind that the revenant director is Mexican; he's not black enough for the afro americans.

Smith bringing up he was gay maybe to try and suggest his critics were 'homophobic'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    No, not really ... Just want conversation to return to how glorious a Bond song WOTW is.
    You'll get no help from me on that one.

On a more serious note, I am not in favour of cutting him slack for any reason whatsoever. I'm sorry for his troubles and for any discrimination he may have faced in his life. I didn't do that to him however. When he was up there accepting his award I think he should have thanked EON and especially Mendes, who selected him over Radiohead, who I understand may have been Craig's preference.

My loyalty to the world of Bond and to many members here who I converse with regularly is much higher than my loyalty to Smith, or whatever agenda he may want to publicize, no matter how noble. That's why I didn't cut Craig any slack for wrist slasher either. It was stupid and I called him out on it.
    So Sam Smith is now a racist ? :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    So Sam Smith is now a racist ? :))

It's getting more hilarious in here by the minute :))
    I am enjoying this "Mullet wearing, red neck banter " :D
    What I love about the "SPECTRE" theme song, is actually the melody. It's a song that dares to be very slow-tempo and vulnerable. In my personal opinion....I find the emotions in this song so much more sincere that some of the actual scenes in "SPECTRE".

Just envision "Writing's On The Wall" being played over various emotional resonant scenes in the more dramatic Bond films, like "OHMSS", "LTK", "CR" and "SF". And then this Bond theme song makes so much more sense.

Usually I prefer the more slow-tempo Bond themes, like "All Time High", "You Only Live Twice" and "Moonraker. But "Writing's On The Wall" IMO joins that select group of Bond songs that are among the more vulnerable songs.