Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's just a beautiful song, the rich orchestration, touching lyrics and mellow
    vocal talents of Mr Smith. All join together to make a very memorable theme
    song.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    bondjames wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    No, not really ... Just want conversation to return to how glorious a Bond song WOTW is.
    You'll get no help from me on that one.

On a more serious note, I am not in favour of cutting him slack for any reason whatsoever. I'm sorry for his troubles and for any discrimination he may have faced in his life. I didn't do that to him however. When he was up there accepting his award I think he should have thanked EON and especially Mendes, who selected him over Radiohead, who I understand may have been Craig's preference.

My loyalty to the world of Bond and to many members here who I converse with regularly is much higher than my loyalty to Smith, or whatever agenda he may want to publicize, no matter how noble. That's why I didn't cut Craig any slack for wrist slasher either. It was stupid and I called him out on it.

Exactly. I trashed Craig plenty too over his self destructive wrist slashing, I'll only do another one for money comments. Very situational in here over who we are allowed to call out for saying dumb stuff or acting dumb.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    i trashed Craig for his comments too, but there is a small difference. I did not know Craigs motivation at that time, and could not figure out if he meant it or not. He has always been 50/50 about Bond in interviews. Since then he has said on numerous occasions that he is more than thankful for the Role so i leave it at that.
    But with Sam Smith he is constantly telling in every interview how thankful he was for the Gig, and how special it is for him and how greatful he is to BB. He just forgot to repeat it again at the oscars. He won an oscar for crying out loud... he was visibly nervous and probably didn't know what the hell was going on (being a newcomer musician in front of an audience of some of the biggest hollywood stars in movie history, think about it). He is only 23, can you imagine winning grammys and oscars at 23 with only one album out?! he might have broken a record now that i think of it...

Give this kid a break, he will be kissing BB's And Wilsons feet for the rest of his life for this.
  • RC7RC7
    No, not really ... Just want conversation to return to how glorious a Bond song WOTW is.

On a more serious note, I am not in favour of cutting him slack for any reason whatsoever. I'm sorry for his troubles and for any discrimination he may have faced in his life. I didn't do that to him however. When he was up there accepting his award I think he should have thanked EON and especially Mendes, who selected him over Radiohead, who I understand may have been Craig's preference.

My loyalty to the world of Bond and to many members here who I converse with regularly is much higher than my loyalty to Smith, or whatever agenda he may want to publicize, no matter how noble. That's why I didn't cut Craig any slack for wrist slasher either. It was stupid and I called him out on it.

Says the man constantly haranguing EON. I wish you were as proactive about thanking them in polite conversation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RC7 wrote: »

Says the man constantly haranguing EON. I wish you were as proactive about thanking them in polite conversation.
    Save it. I'm as positive about them when they deserve it as I am negative when they deserve it.
  • RC7RC7

Save it. I'm as positive about them when they deserve it as I am negative when they deserve it.

I-Robot.

I-Robot.
    Now what are you on about?
  • RC7RC7

I-Robot.

I just don't recall the last time you showed any emotion. It's all so robotically thought out.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883

I-Robot.

I just don't recall the last time you showed any emotion. It's all so robotically thought out.
    I don't know what I'm supposed to say to that judgement. Surprising given how you were defending Smith from being judged.

Ok, I'll try to show a little more passion from now on. Let me watch a Bond film and you'll see it come out, hopefully.
    Are you going to " Come out " @bondjames ? :D

sorry, my schoolboy humour, given what the discussion was about.
    It was said in fun, nothing personal meant.
    None taken @Thunderpussy. I think perhaps I'm being asked to let my hair down rather than come out. I'll have to grow it out a bit first.

There's an emotional side to me, I promise. I didn't realize I was coming across as Spock.
    :))
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    delete, Wrong thread
  • RC7 wrote: »

I-Robot.

It's called reason pal. Trumps arguments from emotion.
    It's really ok you if don't want to show a lot of emotion Bondjames, God knows I keep my heart close to my chest to protect myself with alarms in my blood. But with that said, America is a free country and when someone wins an award they can say as much (Smith) or as little (honorary Hitchcock) as they wants.
    “The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
    Horace Walpole
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,512

I-Robot.

It's called reason pal. Trumps arguments from emotion.

Trust me, I'm glad you've not got my back. Stay away. Thanks.
    “The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
    Horace Walpole

And for those who think and feel it's a therapists worst nightmare.
    If I won an Oscar, they wouldn't get me off the stage. Not thanking people but
    Reading out a list of names of all those who said I'd never make it etc. :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I wish there was an "Air" button for some people here.

In the mean time let's push the "Atmosphere" button to lighten up.
    " Start spreading the news. I'm wasting away " to the tune of New York, New York
    For the musical version of Spectre, Mr White sings it. ;)
    There are very few of us non members of the I love Sam Smith fan club on here. So sorry for another post, but us "character assassins" and "bigots" need to stand our ground.

These horrified vapors exhibited about, gasp, criticism of this over praised, over awarded, kid is rather strange. I recall some major performers like Paul Newman who never received a competitive Oscar till the end of his life, and Peter Finch who never got a competitive one, along with tons of other truly great talents who have contributed extraordinary work to this world, and to sit here and read the gushing over a 23 year old kid who has produced exactly one record where he plagiarized Tom Petty for his Grammies, and then watch his Oscar win for a 20 minute effort that was seriously reworked by Newman and Mendes is mind boggling.

Someone posted that he thanked BB etc., yeah sure in some meaningless totally unseen interviews, but up there on that stage in front of world wide millions, were it counted, he, unlike other vastly more talented and genuinely worthy Oscar winners that night was to precious to thank the people who put him up there. And I won't retread his false, self serving "I'm the first etc. etc" boast which has been roundly trashed on social media, often by gays. I usually judge people on their character, not their race, or their sexuality. If I do, I save the praise for those that have really paid harsh dues, and experienced real hardship from real bias, not some spoiled kid who did not deserve such a huge gig and award and then even worse, was graceless and lazy with his facts when he won it. Fire away!!!!
    What's the air like up on that pedestal. ;)
    Smitty I think you need to give your son a call. :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,554
    smitty wrote: »
    There are very few of us non members of the I love Sam Smith fan club on here. So sorry for another post, but us "character assassins" and "bigots" need to stand our ground.

These horrified vapors exhibited about, gasp, criticism of this over praised, over awarded, kid is rather strange. I recall some major performers like Paul Newman who never received a competitive Oscar till the end of his life, and Peter Finch who never got a competitive one, along with tons of other truly great talents who have contributed extraordinary work to this world, and to sit here and read the gushing over a 23 year old kid who has produced exactly one record where he plagiarized Tom Petty for his Grammies, and then watch his Oscar win for a 20 minute effort that was seriously reworked by Newman and Mendes is mind boggling.

Someone posted that he thanked BB etc., yeah sure in some meaningless totally unseen interviews, but up there on that stage in front of world wide millions, were it counted, he, unlike other vastly more talented and genuinely worthy Oscar winners that night was to precious to thank the people who put him up there. And I won't retread his false, self serving "I'm the first etc. etc" boast which has been roundly trashed on social media, often by gays. I usually judge people on their character, not their race, or their sexuality. If I do, I save the praise for those that have really paid harsh dues, and experienced real hardship from real bias, not some spoiled kid who did not deserve such a huge gig and award and then even worse, was graceless and lazy with his facts when he won it. Fire away!!!!

All nominees were asked to provide a "Thank You" list that would scroll at the bottom of the screen upon a win. I thought this was a great idea by the producers. I am sure (though there is no video to support this) that he did indeed have Barbara, Michael, and Sam on this list, up front. While some winners then ignored the purpose of that list and went ahead and thanked people again upon winning the award, the implication was that the Academy wanted something else to be said other than "Thank Yous." So who are we to assume Smith wasn't doing anything other than honoring the Academy's request to NOT go up there thanking people?
    No excuse. All the winners ignored the scroll and thanked their support team. Also, his award came up late in the show after he had plenty of opportunity to observe what was happening with the thank you speeches.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    Which brings up another point. They spent half of the 3.5 hours show talking aboutd racism in the industry, and 1/4 of the rest of the 3.5 hours on commercials. The talent that carries the industry on their back, many of them unheralded and unseen should be allowed their few minutes in the sun to take a bow for what is often a life time of unheralded, wonderful work. The scroll to me was meant to make room for more crap. The Oscars have become all about the commercials, the dresses, the diamonds, the swanning around about everything but the craft and the talent. The attempt to shut up the Rev. director's comments with music were ugly and represent a seriously lousy thing about the Oscar show.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Oh Dear, that Golden Globe and Academy Award for a brilliant song must be severe punishment for some it seems.

Give it a rest, it becomes pitiful and hilarious at the same time now.
    Some of the rants are very funny, clearly a " Visionary " :D
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Having popped into a few fan forums and seen the reaction over the months to Mr Smith and his Bond song (note I said "his" Bond song - it's his to do with what he wants), I find it quietly hilarious to read straight, often middle aged (though not always) men despairing of Smith's Bond song, being gently homophobic about it and him (and not even knowing they are) and then claiming that "we need to bring back Bassey" and that "Lady Gaga was robbed". It is irony personified. It seems straight male Bond fans have more Bassey on their music shelves than the gay fraternity of San Francisco and Vauxhall combined.

And Gaga will get her Best Song Oscar... for her Bond song when the time comes.
    Having popped into a few fan forums and seen the reaction over the months to Mr Smith and his Bond song (note I said "his" Bond song - it's his to do with what he wants), I find it quietly hilarious to read straight, often middle aged (though not always) men despairing of Smith's Bond song, being gently homophobic about it and him (and not even knowing they are) and then claiming that "we need to bring back Bassey" and that "Lady Gaga was robbed". It is irony personified. It seems straight male Bond fans have more Bassey on their music shelves than the gay fraternity of San Francisco and Vauxhall combined.

And Gaga will get her Best Song Oscar... for her Bond song when the time comes.

I was surprised by how much I really liked WOTW as I don't really like Sam Smith's singing style at all - it's just very X Factor fake emotion all the way. But he did a good job on this - except the chorus. Many YouTubers who are amateur singers can sing that chorus better than he does.