Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,512
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if Adele had got up and said, 'thanks I'm really into men! thanks for awarding an oscar to a woman who likes men. I don't care what you think of my song, but that you gave an Oscar to someone who likes men. Well done academy.'

No. It's nothing like that.

What is it like?

There has been some intense discussion pre-Oscars around the notion of equality, diversity, opportunity... whether one thinks that it's all a lot of hot air, or a genuine concern, is moot, that was the general discourse and continued to be so on the night. Sam Smith being a minority figure himself, in that certain cultures, societies, religions pour scorn on his sexuality and would actively marginalise him, brought up his community as a means to express thanks and solidarity. Has Adele ever been persecuted for being heterosexual? Because I know damn well he has - on this very site. It's very different and you know it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if Adele had got up and said, 'thanks I'm really into men! thanks for awarding an oscar to a woman who likes men. I don't care what you think of my song, but that you gave an Oscar to someone who likes men. Well done academy.'
    Your point is well taken. I watched the bit when he won and then changed the channel. I came on here that night and congratulated him a few pages back.

Now I come here and see pages and pages of comments about his gayness. Who gives a 'sh::". I certainly don't and I'm sure many others don't either. I don't think it was appropriate to draw attention to that personal aspect, as opposed to thanking EON or Sam Mendes for instance (which I've heard he did not). I realize he's young and he may have been nervous, but that's what one should do when up there accepting an award imho. Your 'sexuality' (and yes, I know what it means) is really no care (or business) of mine.

End rant.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sam Smith's title song is excellent and deserves recognition. As long as the character of 007 remains heterosexual that's all I care about. If Sam wants to talk about being gay, who cares.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Sam Smith's title song is excellent and deserves recognition. As long as the character of 007 remains heterosexual that's all I care about. If Sam wants to talk about being gay, who cares.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with it, just I thought he won an Oscar for singing a song not for being gay, just was a bit confusing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Oscars are a huge platform from which to make a statement. Sam took his
    Chance to express his opinion about gay rights. That's fine with me, after all
    De Caprio made a statement about climate change.
    In some parts of the world gay people are thrown to their deaths from buildings.
    So if a word from Sam can give other oppressed people a little hope for the future,
    Then we'll done Sam.
    I also loved the jokes from Chris Rock, pointing out how " White" the Oscars have
    Become.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I can live with him marketing about being gay, reluctantly, in the interests of spreading peace, goodwill and freedom for all, but thank EON and Sam Mendes as well then. That would have been the proper thing to have done. They gave him the damn gig and the platform after all. There's no excuse for that imho.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can live with him marketing about being gay, reluctantly, in the interests of spreading peace, goodwill and freedom for all, but thank EON and Sam Mendes as well then. That would have been the proper thing to have done. They gave him the damn gig and the platform after all. There's no excuse for that imho.

That's not really the issue here, though, is it? If people have a problem with him not thanking the right people, fair enough, but constantly pushing the narrative back towards him being 'gay' is nonsense. If he'd thank God, would their be such a furore? I very much doubt it. The fact he is gay and been vocal about it has clearly irked some people, despite the protestations to the contrary. If people didn't have a problem this wouldn't be a discussion.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with it, just I thought he won an Oscar for singing a song not for being gay, just was a bit confusing.

The old, 'I don't have a problem, but I clearly do' line. I explained above why he did what he did.
    Yes, that would have been nice, although I'm sure he has thanked them many times.
    I'd put it down to a mixture of nerves and excitement, after all I remember at some
    awards people forgetting to thank their, wife or husband etc. In my humble opinion
    It was a mistake down to nerves as he was concentrating on getting his statement
    Out. I wouldn't haul the guy over the coals for it. :)

That's not really the issue here, though, is it? If people have a problem with him not thanking the right people, fair enough, but constantly pushing the narrative back towards him being 'gay' is nonsense. If he'd thank God, would their be such a furore? I very much doubt it. The fact he is gay and been vocal about it has clearly irked some people, despite the protestations to the contrary. If people didn't have a problem this wouldn't be a discussion.

The old, 'I don't have a problem, but I clearly do' line. I explained above why he did what he did.

I honestly don't have a problem - I don't really care too much about the Oscars to be honest.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, that would have been nice, although I'm sure he has thanked them many times.
    I'd put it down to a mixture of nerves and excitement, after all I remember at some
    awards people forgetting to thank their, wife or husband etc. In my humble opinion
    It was a mistake down to nerves as he was concentrating on getting his statement
    Out. I wouldn't haul the guy over the coals for it. :)

Stop being so level-headed @Thunderpussy

Sorry, if I read the comments here properly, he is the one who drew attention to being gay in his speech, at the expense of thanking those that he should have done. That was his mistake and no body should be making excuses for that. From my perspective, job one is thank those who gave you the opportunity to further your career. Then make whatever statement you want to make. I don't give a crap if he's gay or not, in case you might have been insinuating otherwise. This was not an issue for me on the night when I came here and congratulated him, despite personally thinking that his song is one of the worst in the history of the franchise.

Funny how people keep linking his behaviour to the fact that he's gay. He brought it up. He made it an issue. He made the statement. That's fine, but he should have thanked EON and Mendes. Period.

Sorry, if I read the comments here properly, he is the one who drew attention to being gay in his speech, at the expense of thanking those that he should have done. That was his mistake and no body should be making excuses for that. From my perspective, job one is thank those who gave you the opportunity to further your career. Then make whatever statement you want to make. I don't give a crap if he's gay or not, in case you might have been insinuating otherwise. This was not an issue for me on the night when I came here and congratulated him, despite personally thinking that his song is one of the worst in the history of the franchise.

Funny how people keep linking his behaviour to the fact that he's gay. He brought it up. He made it an issue. He made the statement. That's fine, but he should have thanked EON and Mendes. Period.

I agree with you @bondjames - although I do quite like Writing's on the Wall.
  • RC7RC7

Yes, he should have thanked many people, but shit happens. It's not the first time it's occurred and it won't be the last. That should be the discussion here, if that really is worth discussing, not thinly veiled barbs aimed at his sexuality. If people genuinely 'didn't care' about his sexuality, why bring it up?

Case in point...
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay?

A sarcastic sleight. There's no confusion whatsoever here.

Yes, he should have thanked many people, but shit happens. It's not the first time it's occurred and it won't be the last. That should be the discussion here, if that really is worth discussing, not thinly veiled barbs aimed at his sexuality. If people genuinely 'didn't care' about his sexuality, why bring it up?

Case in point...
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay?

No sarcasm. I haven't heard more than probably 10 seconds of his speech so I may be completely wrong in what I've said ...
    I don't agree. He brought up being gay, at the expense of doing what he should have done. That irks me, and others. That does not make us homophobic and drawing such inferences is what is wrong.

Same goes for suggesting those who don't what Elba as Bond are racist, which I've seen on this forum as well. They are two different discussions and I see the comparisons being drawn here too often. It's wrong. I don't think we have many, if any, homophobic or racist members here.

Smith made it an issue with his platform speech. I wish he had done what he should have done instead.

PS: I also didn't like the white/black jokes during some of the broadcast either. Enough already.
    I don't agree. He brought up being gay, at the expense of doing what he should have done. That irks me, and others. That does not make us homophobic and drawing such inferences is what is wrong.

Same goes for suggesting those who don't what Elba as Bond are racist, which I've seen on this forum as well. They are two different discussions and I see the comparisons being drawn here too often. It's wrong. I don't think we have many, if any, homophobic or racist members here.

Smith made it an issue with his platform speech. I wish he had done what he should have done instead.

PS: I also didn't like the white/black jokes during some of the broadcast either. Enough already.

I agree with @bondjames
  • RC7RC7

Case in point...

No sarcasm. I haven't heard more than probably 10 seconds of his speech so I may be completely wrong in what I've said ...

Perhaps you should watch the whole thing before embarking on a discussion? Or acquaint yourself with the narrative surrounding the awards? Just a thought. Personally I'm a little bit bored with the attacks on the bloke (and I don't mean homophobic attacks). Since this guy was announced people have used many an opportunity to twist and turn his every word, not allowing him any wiggle room, nor benefit of the doubt. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vehemently disagree.
    I agree with @Thunderpussy. :D
  • RC7RC7

I never suggested anyone was homophobic, neither did anyone else, the post that started my initial chain of discussion was as follows...

As I explained above, this is a stupid comparison, frankly. If people don't understand why, they need to go and do some reading. That was the point I was trying to make.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325

Case in point...

Perhaps you should watch the whole thing before embarking on a discussion? Or acquaint yourself with the narrative surrounding the awards? Just a thought. Personally I'm a little bit bored with the attacks on the bloke (and I don't mean homophobic attacks). Since this guy was announced people have used many an opportunity to twist and turn his every word, not allowing him any wiggle room, nor benefit of the doubt. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vehemently disagree.

I wasn't attacking him. And I said I was confused - i.e. i was basically entering the discussion to find out what else he did say. Getting the wrong end of the stick with me isn't making your arguments that persuasive - just saying.
  • RC7RC7

Case in point...

I wasn't attacking him. And I said I was confused - i.e. i was basically entering the discussion to find out what else he did say. Getting the wrong end of the stick with me isn't making your arguments that persuasive - just saying.

I didn't say you were attacking him, I'm referring to retrospective attacks and the furore that he seems to kick off. I'm sure most will say he brings it on himself. I don't think he does, personally, and I certainly don't think he's given the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not trying to persuade you of anything, I was pointing out the Adele comparison you made is incorrect. If you don't see that it's up to you.
    The guy won an Oscar ! If anything Eon should be thanking him :D
    ( Just poking the bear a little ) :))

Case in point...

I wasn't attacking him. And I said I was confused - i.e. i was basically entering the discussion to find out what else he did say.

I didn't say you were attacking him, I'm referring to retrospective attacks and the furore that he seems to kick off. I'm sure most will say he brings it on himself. I don't think he does, personally, and I certainly don't think he's given the benefit of the doubt.

Fair enough.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

If you had to endure the hate, the ridicule and the primitive comments that were made about Sam Smith publicly everywhere in the social media after he was announced as the next Bond theme singer, after the song was released and again after his Golden Globe win you may understand what is going on in Sam's head and why minorities like coloured and/or gay people like to make statements about it in such widely seen tv shows.

Because it is still necessary, because homophobia and racism is still here and even flourishing again.

Just look at the evolution of this and other threads about WOTW and Sam Smith.

If you had to endure the hate, the ridicule and the primitive comments that were made about Sam Smith publicly everywhere in the social media after he was announced as the next Bond theme singer, after the song was released and again after his Golden Globe win you may understand what is going on in Sam's head and why minorities like coloured and/or gay people like to make statements about it in such widely seen tv shows.

Because it is still necessary, because homophobia and racism is still here and even flourishing again.

Can't he just ignore it?
  • RC7RC7

Can't he just ignore it?

Please don't perpetuate this any longer. Go and read up on the subject.
    @RC7 have I offended you? What have I done wrong? I'm not sure ...

This is what I was referring to earlier. It can be inferred from the above comment that some members here are homophobic or racist. I don't see any evidence of that, although I could be wrong. It is possible to not like Sam Smith or the song (to hate it actually) and not be homophobic. Same goes for Elba and race. Or Harris for that matter.

This is what I was referring to earlier. It can be inferred from the above comment that some members here are homophobic or racist. I don't see any evidence of that, although I could be wrong. It is possible to not like Sam Smith or the song (to hate it actually) and not be homophobic. Same goes for Elba and race. Or Harris for that matter.

Completely agree with this.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Completely agree with this.

That's not the point.
    But I will not comment any more on this topic.