Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't agree. He brought up being gay, at the expense of doing what he should have done.

He "should" have done whatever he wanted. He's the one who won the Oscar.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Because it is still necessary, because homophobia and racism is still here and even flourishing again.

Just look at the evolution of this and other threads about WOTW and Sam Smith.
    This is what I was referring to earlier. It can be inferred from the above comment that some members here are homophobic or racist. I don't see any evidence of that, although I could be wrong. It is possible to not like Sam Smith or the song (to hate it actually) and not be homophobic. Same goes for Elba and race. Or Harris for that matter.

Completely agree with this.

That's not the point.
    But I will not comment any more on this topic.

ok
    Anyway, it's a great song.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    echo wrote: »
    I don't agree. He brought up being gay, at the expense of doing what he should have done.

He "should" have done whatever he wanted. He's the one who won the Oscar.
    Then you and I have an obvious disagreement. Let's leave it at that.
  • RC7RC7
    Whether anyone on this site is racist or homophobic, I don't know. What I do know is that there has been homophobic and racist content on this site. That's a fact. It's our job to stop that happening and if it means a little education along the way to help people put things in context, I don't see the problem. I'd rather that than the well-constructed smokescreens that merely serve to venerate and excuse the ill-formed. Nothing more to say from me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm sure old Sam sitting back in his luxury pad, looking at his oscar,( and grammys) as the money
    from his hit records comes rolling in! Is in anyway worried by what we think. :D
    RC7 wrote: »
    Whether anyone on this site is racist or homophobic, I don't know. What I do know is that there has been homophobic and racist content on this site. That's a fact. It's our job to stop that happening and if it means a little education along the way to help people put things in context, I don't see the problem. I'd rather that than the well-constructed smokescreens that merely serve to venerate and excuse the ill-formed. Nothing more to say from me.

Here here
    Let's just take pleasure in a Bond getting Oscar success, that always
    Looks good on posters, or slip cases. =D>
    Let's just take pleasure in a Bond getting Oscar success, that always
    Looks good on posters, or slip cases. =D>

Exactly :)
    Being a Bond fan,nut, weirdo. I want to like everything Bond and the only theme song I
    Ever disliked was AWTD from QOS, but from many, many listenings even it grew on me
    In fact I've even found a place where it sounds great ( to me at least ) driving in the car ! :)
    Being a Bond fan,nut, weirdo. I want to like everything Bond and the only theme song I
    Ever disliked was AWTD from QOS, but from many, many listenings even it grew on me
    In fact I've even found a place where it sounds great ( to me at least ) driving in the car ! :)

Yeah I think it's okay, never really got the hatred to it. It's not the best Bond song, but it's not that bad.
    Sadly it's another case of what might have been. If Amy Winehouse had have recorded
    one of her big ballads ( as planned) it could have been wonderful.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Yeah I think it's okay, never really got the hatred to it. It's not the best Bond song, but it's not that bad.

As a song it's not that bad, in fact, as a big fan of Alicia Keys, I listened to it countless times.
    But for a Bond movie it is more or less the worst there ever was together with Die Another Day.

One of the reasons I am so fond of WOTW is because it is a classic instantly recognisable Bond song. Skyfall is a classic as well.
    I adore the rich orchestration on WOTW, so evocative of earlier Bond themes.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020

So true, when it is played in the train scene after the fight, with Madeleine and Bond getting it on, my eyes water every time. I'm a hopeless romantic :))
    Yes, I can agree with this. Instrumentally, there is nothing to fault from my perspective. Quite classic.
    Yes, I can agree with this. Instrumentally, there is nothing to fault from my perspective. Quite classic.

Lucky for you, the Bee Gees never did a Bond theme :)

I can actually understand that the falsetto singing of Sam is not for everyone. I like it, but my wife for instance also doesn't like it.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883

Lucky for you, the Bee Gees never did a Bond theme :)

I can actually understand that the falsetto singing of Sam is not for everyone. I like it, but my wife for instance also doesn't like it.
    Just to clarify, I love the Bee Gees and would have really wanted them to have done a Bond theme in their prime. I like Jackson too. To paraphrase Vesper, there are falsettos, and then there are falsettos.

His, as delivered in this song, is just not for me.
    Although Didn't Marvin Hamlish say he based the rhythms used in his soundtrack
    To TSWLM from the Bee Here disco album ? :))
    I really 'felt' a Bee Gees vibe from Bond 77. Part of the reason I liked it.
    Bond 77 may well be my second favourite instrumental track from any Bond soundtrack, except of course, the best instrumental track ever (also outside the franchise) OHMSS.
    Yes,it's a great score and somehow suits Sir Roger's Bond, if that makes sense
    to anyone but me.
    Yes,it's a great score and somehow suits Sir Roger's Bond, if that makes sense
    to anyone but me.
    It makes perfect sense to me. Sir Rog is the quintessential 70's Bond and it's appropriate that he has the most 'disco' sounding action scores in TSWLM & FYEO. That sound is cool and smooth, like Sir Rog.
    Agreed, if only we could all be as smooth as the master. ^:)^ he makes it look easy.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,043
    My criticism is of the song and his vocal style being in my view totally wrong for Bond nothing to do with his sexuality and those that claim the hate for the song is the same thing as criticising him as a homosexual is utter BS it's utterly unconnected.

If it had been Marc Almond or David Mcalmont both openly gay artists I would have been truly excited but I just don't get this Smith is hugely talented talk. I agree the transition from the end of PTS in the helicopter with the strings is fantastic and truly Bondian but then he starts singing and I head for the door.

I'm certainly not homphobic I just find the song utterly attrocious, I'm sorry but this is my view and if it had been any other artist that had released the song they'd be getting the same treatment.

Also it seems now that Bond theme tunes are going to get an obvious nod in this category from now on, to me give such a sub standard song this award just shows they really must have been desperate. I get Skyfall getting the Oscar even though I wasn't bowled over by that but WOTW? Were the other contenders really that bad?

Also all this I should be happy for Bond because it got an Oscar talk, I don't blindly support the series without criticism so why should I be happy that it got the award. Congrats to Smith for his win but I don't have to feel good about it.

Can you imagine if Newman had been nominated for his vanilla effort for SPECTRE and won, I'm sure the knives would have been out then and rightly so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let me get this straight. Smith is gay? About winning, you mean?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I find it funny how someone's sexuality isn't a problem someone straight wins an Oscar and thanks their husband/wife, but if someone being gay is brought up, people want nothing to do with it.
    There is a fine difference between hate for a song and hate for a singer.
    There were more than enough posts that showed hate for the singer.
    It is not utter BS, it is the sad truth.

People can read. It is clear who was merely criticising the song, or choice of song, and who was criticising the song/the singer because he is gay and/or sings falsetto.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't believe there's people in here who actually find fault with Sam discussing his sexuality openly over thanking people he already has at the Oscars. I mean, really?

People telling him to "get over" all the hate slung at him for his sexuality, a part of him as arbitrary and natural as his eye color or height, should get a damn clue.

Obviously people arguing such things aren't familiar with the sting associated with homosexuality in this ethically dire western culture, where a person's name is slung through the mud and they are sometimes made to endure physical and emotional harm just for being who they are. Some think Sam should have used his Oscar time to thank more people in favor of expressing his very real struggles to success, but guess what? You're not Sam and you're not in his situation. Nor do you have any authority to tell him how best to use his big moment; you didn't write the song, you didn't collaborate with Mendes-hell, most of you don't even like the damn thing anyway.

Sam's dissenters don't know the kind of negative and damaging garbage he's had to climb his way through not because he actively brought it on himself and not because he is a bad person. No, he's had to deal with slants against his name and character just because he is being who he is, an openly gay man. He wanted to use the very brief window he was allotted to devote time to his struggle and to give hope and support to others like him all over the world who may be facing similar umbrage and cruelty. Anyone making a case against him in that respect should be ashamed of themselves.

How would some of you feel if you walked down the street every day and people poked and prodded at you for something you couldn't change about yourself, an aspect of your genetic makeup as natural as breathing? You'd have no control over why you were being hated, and would face constant battering day and night, your only crime being that you were being yourself. Wouldn't feel too good, would it?

People telling Sam to get over the hate, and others who say heterosexuals never have to make a point of their sexuality in speeches tragically miss the big issue here and show their lack of understanding for what is a crucial world issue of diversity acceptance.

Christ, it depresses and appalls me how some people think sometimes. This is my final piece on this. Like @RC7 I'm fed up with all this bullshit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's no wonder that so many are leaving certain threads or are taking a hiatus from the forums lately - way too much negativity.