Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So far, I have read several comments stating that "I can't see him as Bond" regarding a particular actor. Part of the fun, for me at least, is looking for an actor's hidden potential, something the Bond films might be able to unearth. Take Craig, for example. I had seen him in a few things and, in retrospect, he already showed some of his Bondian qualities in those things. But CR really showcased Craig's phenomenal talents in ways I hadn't seen before. So, who knows, ATJ might actually be able to give us a great Bond by digging just a little bit deeper than he has so far. Then again, he might not be. I nevertheless enjoy these little thought experiments. ;-)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    So far, I have read several comments stating that "I can't see him as Bond" regarding a particular actor. Part of the fun, for me at least, is looking for an actor's hidden potential, something the Bond films might be able to unearth. Take Craig, for example. I had seen him in a few things and, in retrospect, he already showed some of his Bondian qualities in those things. But CR really showcased Craig's phenomenal talents in ways I hadn't seen before. So, who knows, ATJ might actually be able to give us a great Bond by digging just a little bit deeper than he has so far. Then again, he might not be. I nevertheless enjoy these little thought experiments. ;-)

He absolutely could, and I probably wouldn't have thought Craig would've been a great Bond pre-CR.
    In the past they have kept their top choices well under wraps, so I'm not so sure ATJ will turn out to be the one.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    delfloria wrote: »
    In the past they have kept their top choices well under wraps, so I'm not so sure ATJ will turn out to be the one.

That’s a very good point.
    While I think it's possible the next Bond has been mentioned in this thread, I find it hard to imagine that the next Bond will be anyone really that we've discussed at length.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 3,333
    mtm wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm not going to delve too deeply into Aaron Taylor-Johnson's back catalogue of movies as he's still quite young

It's a good way of telling how good he is.
    Was this coming from The Sun? I did see them saying that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is being wooed to write the new series of Doctor Who (after 'reinventing' James Bond). They're not very reliable.
    Yes, up to a point. We already know Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a very good character actor as seen in Nocturnal Animals, Savages, The Wall, Bullet Train, etc. However, there isn't much to go on with regards to leading man material, apart from Godzilla, when he was aged only 22. I repeat, aged only 22! I think that's something to bear in mind. Me personally, I won't judge a 22-year-old actor's performance on whether he's suitable to play a 33 or 34-year-old (depending on when they actually shoot Bond 26) as I don't think it allows for his own personal growth and maturity as an actor. What I mean by that is it would be like judging Daniel Craig's suitability for James Bond based on his early performance in The Power of One, when Craig was of a similair age to that of Taylor-Johnson. It's apples and oranges.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes that’s true. At this point I want to be a bit surprised by the choices the next guy makes; I don’t want a Pierce-style identikit 007. And that’s no slight on Pierce: he was right for the times, but we’ve been there now.
  • QsCatQsCat London

No, I don’t think that comparison works, not for me anyway. Because I was intrigued by him at the announcement, then I watched a load of his films and had no doubts he’d be great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Craig had shown how excellent he was right from his first big leading role, ten years before Bond - and yes, when he was in his twenties.
    As you say, ATJ isn't really comparable to that. He's impressed in some supporting roles, but has never been as good as Craig was.
  • QsCatQsCat London

Yes that’s true. At this point I want to be a bit surprised by the choices the next guy makes; I don’t want a Pierce-style identikit 007. And that’s no slight on Pierce: he was right for the times, but we’ve been there now.

I’d quite like a Pierce-type Bond. Someone who can convincingly mingle with certain groups in order to get the info he needs. Such as Bond at Elliot Carver’s launch party. Or when he passes himself off as a banker, before unleashing his “hidden assets” in TWINE. A British man with a European flair. Someone similar in appearance to Daniel Day Lewis in Then Unbearable Lightness of Being perhaps. I’m not interested in another stockily built man of few words type Bond. I loved Craig in his first two films but then grew increasingly bored of him, partly because his performance changed somewhat but also because the films did too. I can’t be bothered explaining how they changed, but I just prefer CR and Quantum.
    Tomorrow-Never-Dies-Dinner-Suit-3.jpg
    The-World-is-not-Enough-0006.jpg
    MV5BODg4NTcyYTAtMmRjMS00ZjJmLTg3ZjgtZjllODc3MzMzMjY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

QsCat wrote: »

No, I don’t think that comparison works, not for me anyway. Because I was intrigued by him at the announcement, then I watched a load of his films and had no doubts he’d be great.

Fair enough. Then again, I've never seen anything with Pierce in it before '95 that might suggest he'd be a strong Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Every time I see 'ATJ' I keep thinking of that other ATJ. ;) That could get confusing.

Like James Norton, Aron Taylor Johnson comes off a little.... bland. I just don't see it. In the black and white images on the previous page, he looks more like Buster Keaton.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What I will say though is that things have changed massively since 2005 so I wouldn't be surprised if we got an idea of who they'd cast before it was officially announced. It would be nice for it to be a surprise but thats getting harder and harder. In the past with Craig films, some cast members have leaked before the announcement.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think we give Craig a bit too much credit in the leading role department before Bond. Not taking away from his abilities in the slightest but 90% of his roles prior to Bond were supporting roles (aside from Our Friends In The North) and the only leading role in what was really a "hit" in the strictest sense was Layer Cake.

So I'll cut Johnson some slack if most of his more impressive work has been as a supporting cast member so far. I'm not saying he'd be my preferred choice (I don't really have one at this stage), but I wouldn't be writing him off either.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm still smarting from losing Bob Holness.
    :)) At least Bob went on to play the sax on Baker Street. Oh, hang on...

:))
    peter wrote: »
    @mtm I’m sure that ATJ will also get an audition. And who knows, like I mentioned before, he may’ve had a dinner with BB, or a meeting of some kind. I just placed heavy doubts on an official audition.

Yes indeed, as I say: I saw him with my own eyes at the official 60th anniversary concert - there's something there.
    He was wearing a silk camp collar shirt incidentally: he wisely didn't come in black tie :D

Ok now I am starting to think he will be bond

Maybe just for project 007 though I could see him being an ok 007 for the game…

Like I said I saw him in two films and don’t remember either one my wife is a huge Beatles fan so I will watch nowhere man soon enough
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    From height, to voice, hair color, charisma and much more, I know some feel that we’re overly critical of many of the potential candidates , but I have no doubt that the vetting at the highest level can be fairly brutal .
    I was very skeptical when Craig was cast, but was won over with the first teaser trailer.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,524
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I was very skeptical when Craig was cast, but was won over with the first teaser trailer.

Same.
    Truth is, Brosnan was easy for me to accept. He made sense in an unchallenging way.
    Craig was tougher at first; I had to plough through a few concerns. It was love, but not until after first, second and third sight. But the more we saw of him, the more I grew convinced. CR felt like a reward for being patient and confident. Perhaps that's why my appreciation of Craig has reached a lot deeper too. Brosnan was an "of course", Craig was a "hold on now" that morphed into a "damn, he's awesome, I can see it now!"
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 784
    okENCah.png
    nPEWzIo.jpg
    4XaQCZe.jpg
    c7OtBO0.jpg
    DvUOfvL.jpg
    mgu1uXz.jpg
    bYjvovB.jpg
    okENCah.png
    nPEWzIo.jpg
    4XaQCZe.jpg
    c7OtBO0.jpg
    DvUOfvL.jpg
    mgu1uXz.jpg
    bYjvovB.jpg

Who is that?
    A friend or foe? Surely not Bond.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,526
    talos7 wrote: »

Why not? What makes him worse than any other suggestion?

This is the thread for actors who people think could/should play Bond (not friends or foes), he has a good look, so I'm interested in the justification for the total shutdown of someone else's opinion.
    talos7 wrote: »

Why not? What makes him worse than any other suggestion?

This is the thread for actors who people think could/should play Bond (not friends or foes), he has a good look, so I'm interested in the justification for the total shutdown of someone else's opinion.

Wait is that Aidan turner?
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,526
    :)) I think if I were Aidan Turner I'd love all these guys who're obsessed with me.

@ByRoyalDecree that guy has a great look for Bond, dangerous. What's he been in?
    :)) I think if I were Aidan Turner I'd love all these guys who're obsessed with me.

@ByRoyalDecree that guy has a great look for Bond, dangerous. What's he been in?

So that isn’t Aidan turner who the hell is that person people need to post names with faves don’t just assume we all know every actor
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Risico007 wrote: »

So that isn’t Aidan turner who the hell is that person people need to post names with faves don’t just assume we all know every actor

He doesn't even look like Turner. Dude looks like he's from the middle East.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @NickTwentyTwo if someone posts a candidate they find interesting as Bond, isn’t one also allowed to say, “just doesn’t do it for me?”. I don’t think @talos7 was disrespectful.

I myself got in hot water with another poster for calling this same man (in the above photos), “more banker than Bond”, or something like that.

I think the members here should be free to react to suggestions, whether pro or con, so long as they’re not being derogatory and demeaning.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,318
    @NickTwentyTwo if someone posts a candidate they find interesting as Bond, isn’t one also allowed to say, “just doesn’t do it for me?”. I don’t think @talos7 was disrespectful.

I myself got in hot water with another poster for calling this same man (in the above photos), “more banker than Bond”, or something like that.

I think the members here should be free to react to suggestions, whether pro or con, so long as they’re not being derogatory and demeaning.

This, this and this.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,953

Absolutely I did not mean to be disrespectful. Without a doubt, for various reasons, this topic has gone off the rails, and it wasn't my intent to offend. My response was meant to be tongue in cheek. The actor in the photo has a very interesting look but , in my eyes, not Bond. Believe me, I've had some very snarky comments directed towards some of my picks. In the past, Harry Styles has ben my dark horse; you can imagine some of the comments that followed. Some were brutal, but not mean spirited. Some were pretty funny

@NickTwentyTwo I meant no offense. Feel free to comment on how you feel about Harry. :D
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    Dan Stevens for me but he's now 40. Awesome acor, can change into any character. Depends if they're going young and if they will ignore this woke soya Hollywood era, that's destroyed Star Wars, Star Trek and Marvel Phase 4 lol.